1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

No Prefix Why annihilation is dying and what needs to be fixed.

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by monkey220ms, Aug 20, 2017.

No Prefix - Why annihilation is dying and what needs to be fixed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey220ms Platinum

XP:
    182,064xp
    I've been playing anni this past week after a several year break and here are my thoughts about what could be changed to save this dying gamemode (though I don't know if the shotbow server can be saved it's been a "dead" server for quite some time).

1. Fixes that are uneeded and unwanted, for example:
    -you can't block glitch into swapper traps with gravel anymore, making swapping ineffective and dead content
    -you can't die after placing a teleporter entrance, making teleporting super hard and dead content

these should be reversed, they do little to improve the game but instead make certain fun classes pretty much useless, whoever is tweaking the game clearly does not spend much time playing this game

2. The games last WAY TOO LONG, and this problem is in a negative cycle. The less players who play (less players in the server = less in each individual game), means that there are often times more defenders than attackers. This makes the end game just a waiting game, for several hours, until enough players on each team afk to the point where there are 5 players left on the teams and it's easy to rush. Games should last a maximum of an hour, but honestly probably closer to 30 minutes because people don't want long games, they're boring and you lose people from the server. A NEXUS DECAY LIKE IN THE OLD RANKED NEEDS TO BE IMPLEMENTED AFTER 30 MINUTES, so that the games do end themselves. I'm literally taking the time to type this post during a canyon game with less than 15 players on each team, that the nexus healths haven't changed for the past hour and a half. This. Is. Not. Fun. Implement an automatic nexus health decay after 30 minutes so that the games end themselves when the players won't or more often, just can't because the other team's defenses are too strong and there are too few players to rush.

3. Punish players for farming! I remember this was a huge problem for me back in the day, when a team would knock the nexus down to 1 health then farm the team for 10 minutes. THIS RUINS THE GAME FOR PEOPLE, especially younger and newer players who do not care to play this game if they're just going to be spawn killed by a clan of virgins who think that is fun. I don't know if there's a way to implement hit-immunity if the nexus isn't being damaged and the players are dying after spawning, I don't know the solution but I know it's a problem and a pretty serious one that makes new players quit, because why would they bother wasting their free time getting spawn killed on a dead server when there's thousands of other minecraft servers they can play.

I don't play this gamemode enough anymore to list all the problems, but I'm sure there are many many more. From what I've seen, shotbow is in it's final hours. I remember when thousands of players used to be online, then less than a thousand, now just a few hundred at a time. I think shotbow failed to adapt their gamemodes properly to what people wanted, a lot of the gamemodes are outdated and have weird mechanics that aren't on other servers and that new players do not want to take the time to learn. I doubt anybody will see this or care about it, but I'm logging off of the server for probably my final time ever tonight. It's been 2 hours since the game has started and the nexus healths still haven't changed since I wrote my previous remark on the dead end game. I spent probably thousands of hours on this server, I bought platinum, have over 170k xp saved on my account and most classes unlocked. I was a loyal player who is leaving (like many others), because the shotbow server is outdated, dying, doesn't consistently improve game quality nor listen to players (most of the problems I listed existed 4 years ago when I started playing this server and nothing has been done about them). Good luck to all the players, I recommend you don't waste your time on this server and go play something on a server that's going to survive.
    _inu, ChromosomeCramp, Hingey and 2 others like this.

2. Kentley Regular Member

XP:
    17,072xp
  3. MTrout Platinum

XP:
    729,797xp
    I'm just going to point out that block glitching into swapper traps was bannable...
  4. Hazel_VB Regular Member

XP:
    20,261xp
    2. The games last WAY TOO LONG, and this problem is in a negative cycle. The less players who play (less players in the server = less in each individual game), means that there are often times more defenders than attackers. This makes the end game just a waiting game, for several hours, until enough players on each team afk to the point where there are 5 players left on the teams and it's easy to rush. Games should last a maximum of an hour, but honestly probably closer to 30 minutes because people don't want long games, they're boring and you lose people from the server. A NEXUS DECAY LIKE IN THE OLD RANKED NEEDS TO BE IMPLEMENTED AFTER 30 MINUTES, so that the games do end themselves. I'm literally taking the time to type this post during a canyon game with less than 15 players on each team, that the nexus healths haven't changed for the past hour and a half. This. Is. Not. Fun. Implement an automatic nexus health decay after 30 minutes so that the games end themselves when the players won't or more often, just can't because the other team's defenses are too strong and there are too few players to rush.

3. Punish players for farming! I remember this was a huge problem for me back in the day, when a team would knock the nexus down to 1 health then farm the team for 10 minutes. THIS RUINS THE GAME FOR PEOPLE, especially younger and newer players who do not care to play this game if they're just going to be spawn killed by a clan of virgins who think that is fun. I don't know if there's a way to implement hit-immunity if the nexus isn't being damaged and the players are dying after spawning, I don't know the solution but I know it's a problem and a pretty serious one that makes new players quit, because why would they bother wasting their free time getting spawn killed on a dead server when there's thousands of other minecraft servers they can play.

Not everyone dislikes long games. I like a 1 hour long game that takes some teamwork to win and some attacks on other teams and also defending against a few attacks.

What I don't like though is the never ending games where nothing happens and both teams stay at their base waiting for the other team to attack. At that point it's just waiting who can stay online the longest.

About the spawncamping. I think you don't get xp from it anymore. Me and my clan also doesn't do it anymore in any clan games.
    No idea where the hate against virgings came from.
  5. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    Greetings,

While I appreciate some of the concerns you raised, I disagree with some of the points you made, but that does not matter, I am here to keep track of what you guys like, what you do not and how we can reach an agreement on the way Annihilation is developing.

- Gravel swapper trap are bannable because it was lame and it had absolutely no counterplay. This does not mean the class is no longer viable, just be creative with it and you will see it is pretty fun to play.
    - We wanted to change the way TP works, we were not comfortable with essentially seeting a TP to a single location and then doing /kill to finish the TP. We took that away, but as a compensation your TP stays alive after you die if both ends are set, also your TP no longer expires after 5 minutes. It is a fair trade.

2.This one I agree with and we are working towards shortening the average length of each game. The majority of the current Minecraft community seems to like short and quick-paced minigames, so we are going to adapt. We have added gameplay changes that help make the games shorter in the next update.

3.We took measures while ago to prevent the XP farm, I do not see the issue here. If you mean that players still spawnkill for fun, even though they get no XP, unfortunate to hear, but I do not think there is much we can do about, apart for making the games shorter so this does not happen.

Also, want to make something clear. The fact that you do not enjoy the game does not mean everyone else does not. There are still plenty of players who love playing Anni every day and until there are, you have no reason to call it dead. Shotbow it is not what it once was in terms of playercount, but nothing is to be honest. Many servers were not able to get to that 5 years of existence mark, we did it, that says something. We are here to deliver a pleasurable experience to the players who like playing here and we will continue to do it as long as there are such players, no matter of how many do it. After all, nothing lasts forever, but until there are players to please, we will do our best.
    We are aware that Annihilation specifically has become bit stale over the years, hopefully the next update will breathe more life into it :) The developers are working hard to achieve that, I personally was testing some changes yesterday and I am excited to see them live.
    Regarding whether we take community's input ? We do. Do we implement everything they suggest ? No. While we are happy to see you guys are full of ideas, not everything you propose is realistic. I do my best to go through the suggestions and sift the good ones and propose them to the team, but it is up to the developers. If you think there is an idea we ignored, please send it to me via PM and I will take a look.
    A good example of the fact we listen to players and implement their good suggestions is MineZ. Doc has been working really hard over the past weeks to patch bugs and add what the players most want and so far MineZ is thriving compared to the last months.

Thank you for reading, I hope I answered your questions.

Have a nice day,
    Fluffoon
    JrPrank, Kelestami, Celariel and 6 others like this.
  6. Corrade Regular Member

XP:
    21,864xp
    This is really great to hear. I'm excited to see what's in store next update, cause I'm guessing if it's working towards shortening matches, changes are going to be pretty huge.
    IBipolarbear, Mistri and Fluffoon like this.
  7. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    They are going to change something with the phases :eek:
    I cant wait, man!!
    Fluffoon likes this.
  8. HungerHealer Silver

XP:
    19,178xp
    Games are indeed way to long due Immobilsers, Mercenary. Its almost impossible to assassin/invis rush on maps like coastal/canyon with 1 small entrance.

Ive tried many tactics lime rushing with 2 assassins. The first one absorbs the immobiliser and mercenary the 2nd goes in when there abilitys are on cooldown.

But still the classes seem to be balanced around mining diamonds etc. Thats sometimes the only way to win, like that japense guy posted some days ago you have to play with a large group of diamond players to breach such a defense. And yes it is a teamgame and I liked to play in groups to but its so hard to do anythi g solo. Everytime that this happens im going back to steal the wither from the enemy or voidscorp some. Diamond geared players.

Enchanter is way to overpowerd you cant kill enemy enchanters due the xp regen abilty. So if a 'large' group gets some good swords/bows. And 1 guy goes for a fortune pick. 1 wither to get some strengt/regen. The whole game is balanced around this ^ they all go iceman/scout and dominate mid.

Meanwhile there is nothing you can do as a solo player. -> damage the nexus from the team that dominates mid. But they have/get a defender after a ehile. Yeah what to do now.... You have damaged there nexus from 75 to 40 but they have a immobiliser/diamond defenders. Meanwhile there whole team is fully diamond geared and your whole team is leather/iron with 10 players less as theres since a majority gave up and you had less people from the start anyway. They strengt rush with 10 diamond players whilst you have only 8 players in your team...

Gamr over "waisted" 1 hour of your life.
    Basicly sums up annihilation th3se days.

EDIT: Me rambling again. Not giving this how to improve etc. etc. Just how an average players might feel.
    monkey220ms likes this.
  9. monkey220ms Platinum

XP:
    182,064xp
    Hypixel currently has 45,778/62,000
    Mineplex has 5,309/5,310
    Shotbow has 626/10,000
    That's absolutely pathetic, don't lie to yourself and pretend like the server is "alive". Also on my youtube channel, I chose to stop making videos but I can bet you sure as hell that I've got more views and subscribers than you ever will, and I don't even use my youtube anymore. I got 7.5 million views kid, where's your youtube channel at?
    Hingey likes this.
  10. monkey220ms Platinum

XP:
    182,064xp
    I appreciate that you took time to respond to this. Best of luck with the server and I hope the changes you guys make keep the playerbase happy, even though I've had my problems with the gamemode it's always something I've held dear and spent a lot of my childhood playing.
    HungerHealer and Fluffoon like this.
  11. Corrade Regular Member

XP:
    21,864xp
    By your logic, 7.5 million views is also pathetic because someone like PewDiPie is well in the billions. 500+ players is still plenty and you can find a couple Anni games at pretty much any time of day - it's not dead at all. Of course there could be more players, but you can't just call something 'dead' because it's not the best thing alive, that's a completely unreasonable place to draw the line.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that changes should have and need to be made to grow the playerbase. I'm putting this in an edit because I've voiced some of my suggestions many times, so yeah; new player experience, match length as stated, balancing, etc. I just didn't like the use of 'dead' because to me it gives off the wrong impression.
  12. Snurkle Platinum

XP:
    105,131xp
    I hope im not the only one who believes this, but putting others down and deeming others comments "pathetic" will not help a discussion thrive and will only cause an argument. I recommend you check out this guide as it should help you when posting something: https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/making-a-meaningful-post-with-a-positive-outcome.374674/

If an admin is reading this:
    I think this thread needs to be locked because it is not provoking meaningful discussion.
  13. eXAt88 Platinum

XP:
    5,958xp

Although his logic is faulty the message he is trying to send should not be ignored. I remember 2 years ago there would be way over 600 people playing annihilation alone. Heck look at this forum, It's practically dead.

The problem shouldn't be ignored because of the attitude if the person mentioning it.

Edit: I think one of the issues is this server is like 4 major updates behind whats available.
    Corrade likes this.
  14. monkey220ms Platinum

XP:
    182,064xp
    Oh maybe I should clarify, back a few years ago shotbow had a few thousand players online at peak times. Dying/dead means that the server is no longer attracting as many players as it used to. That would suggest that shotbow is not only failing to attract new players, but the ones that it does do not stick around anymore.
  15. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    You mean the problem that they are trying to fix by trying to gain more players? Do you actually think they are not trying to keep their gamemodes updated? They are actually working pretty hard right now to keep everything alive outside the forums. The past is the past now, we cant always say: "oh you guys had 1000 people in the past, which means that 800 people now is bad". We gotta build the player count up again.
  16. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    I agree with most of the stuff here.
    Both the things in #1 were needed. I think it balanced out some of the game play there it didnt make them any less useful.
    Here are the fixes to the game mechanics that will fix the game lengths:

1.Enchanting,since the enchanting buff level 30 weapons plague the battlefield making it hard to get a higher tier of gear for a rush. There was so much more risk for enchanting pre 1.9 now you know what you are going to get which makes it unbalanced.

2.Bows, since 1.9 bows do over twice as much as swords this needs an immediate fix. You can easily get a power 4 punch 1 bow at the start of phase 1 that will kill leather players in 2 shots full irons in just 3 shots. That is completely messed up it is more effective to use bows at close range rather than swords. Archer does 2.5-3 hearts base damage where as a wooden sword takes 7-8 hits to kill a leather.

3.Strength got a significant nerf since 1.9 making it realy hard to finish of a team in just one rush causing the endless games we see with coastal.

#3 has been solved already. I will always believe farming is a scummy thing to do. You dont earn xp or kills from spawn kills.

I too feel this server is dieing despite the numbers shotbow isn't the same shotbow I knew 3 or 4 years ago. The Japanese community might have brought members in but it wasn't really due to shotbow's updates rather a youtuber that promoted the server.
  17. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    What is the point of an update if it isn't good?
  18. Keyboard Platinum

XP:
    213,353xp
    slamdunker81, Hingey and monkey220ms like this.
  19. eXAt88 Platinum

XP:
    5,958xp

I know they work their hardest to keep up to date but for many people who play on servers other than shotbow constantly changing the game version is a hassle, new players are also more likely to look for servers that run the version they are on, which is not likely to be 1.9.
    Hingey likes this.
  20. I_cant_breed Platinum

XP:
    310,591xp
    Shotbow admins working hard? Maybe in the past 6 months, (haven't been around enough to judge) but the 2 years before that, don't kid yourself lol. Except a select few (Navarr out the top of my head), jack shit was done to update the server, listen to the community or really do anything at all. The numbers speak for themselves, and I'm pretty sure Shotbow isn't gonna last much longer when Highlife is done milking the premium money and the server cost becomes too high, granted it'll last a bit longer since EU's removal...
    Ringowhs, FenerHooligans and Hingey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.