1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Uncensoring Defend

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Hingey, Nov 12, 2017.

Discussion - Uncensoring Defend | Page 2
?

Uncensor Def and Defend

Yes 36 vote(s) 85.7%
No 6 vote(s) 14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinl3e Platinum

XP:
    49,036xp
    wow deleting my post.
    So they decide to censor defend but not words like n****r or f**k? And I mean in-game. There was no issues before with people saying defend but now everybody is complaining about this. There shouldn't be 2 threads about this situation right after the implementation. (lolI don't know how to spell)

2. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    Galap, it seems you are more upset over the fact that players dont respect or value defenders rather than the use of the words. Anni has many different play styles falling into both defense and offence. You need to have a good mix of both of these to be successful. I for one am more of an offensive player but I still try and help defend or give call outs to my teammates back at base. I am very appreciative of the teammates defending and will try and give them gear when I can. These roles are very set unlike your vision that it is everyone's job to defend it often falls onto one or two people to stay in the nexus most of the game. Once and awhile I will sacrifice my game to defend for a team and I am fine with that. I sometimes will become distracted or unvigilant I appreciate teammates that say def or inc it puts me on edge. Sure more information is better but they may not have the option to. I hope you can see where I and most of the community are coming from. This is really discouraging communication between teammates more than its helping.

Also I made a new thread to add a poll and a more general topic. I think it is quite clear what a majority of the community thinks of this change I hope you reconsider your decision.
    Ivandagiant likes this.
  3. iiWonderz Platinum

XP:
    82,933xp
    Yesterday night, Genesis was debating this for about 3 hours. Many of us dis-agreed and many of us agreed. We have come up with pros and cons to this word being censored. The over arching thing between both sides was, why would you waste time into censoring a word that means nothing? If it gives no detail and was bothering nobody... people said it and that was it. As you insisted, you could say "inc" instead of "def". But what if they're already inside your nexus? Are you going to say "inc"? Even though they're already in. Some instances where you immo an assassin and they're full iron. You know they're going to kill you because you're in leather. What word will you say... keep in mind that you only have 4 seconds, and a game that is a wide range of ages... many of us can't type fast. This situation might be specific, but it happens. As the literal definition for the both words, "inc" and "def" mean almost the exact same thing. Incoming means "in the process of coming in, arriving"... yes, I can agree this could be a great word to use, if they're not in the nexus already. While as the word "defend" means "resist an attack made on (someone or something); protect from harm of danger", this is a perfect word to use. You need to shield an attack. Now to another point that you make Gallap, you said that people who say "def" are more likely to not defend. I don't know where you even thought of this... most of the time I say defend is when I know I cannot do it myself. When I see diamonds with strength coming in the nexus... the first class I think of is immo and merc. I don't know about you., but I know for damn sure I cannot do that myself. Now to the point that they are re-guarded as lower class. This is also insane, many times have I won from people like hal defending. You might not like defending, but that doesn't mean other people don't. ClassyCuttleFish, when he played, I always asked if he wanted to rush with me... most of the time his answer is "no, i'm going to defend". As a perfect thing Hinge said is that their are specific classes... most clans you join, there is a question that is asked... it goes like this. "What are you preferred play-styles". You're given that specific job to do. A person that rushes non-stop cannot win a game without defense, and Vis-versa. I know for a damn fact, that I play way more than you. I know what saying "inc" compared to "def" does. But that doesn't re-guard to everyone. I don't listen to volume, its on 0... always. I listen to music, I depend on people to say "def" when i'm defending. If they say "inc" and they're coming down the stairs, I will think that it's not instant. Now I agree, with you on some things here. Saying "der" is not specific... I get it. But its used for intimidate attention to the defenders. Just because you think the word "def" is useless, doesn't mean all other players do. I mean if you look at the votes above, you can see for yourself. I know this doesn't re-guard to all players because not all players go on the forums.

If you read all that good job, you now have some knowledge on why it was dumb and the opposite opinion. Now i'm going to go word-by-word to see what Galap has to specifically say. It's going to be the same layout but different words.

You're making fun of the opposing argument, which dis-regards most of your arguments. (Politics are great, aren't they?)

It got more attention, and he did not know, that's why he made this one.

Considering its not your play-styles, how the hell would you know how "we" play. Considering you grouped us all as people that act like dicks. I have a different play-style than most people. I mostly camp the other teams nexus, when we get somewhat low, I defend and talk in chat. I say "def", and guess what? I defend. Just because you say "def" doesn't mean that you're away from the nexus. It's a team game, the more effort you put in, the better, so there is no "I've already done that, it's not my job anymore". You say people in the nexus "suffer", congratulations, you think its bad... to you. I personally love defending. Most of the time, when I get mad. I jump on with my clan and defend. Its not a job, we play for fun. Defending it part of that fun.

The Repercussions
    It about time. It doesn't fit all the word choices. Saying incoming while you immo'd someone in your nexus, you're not going to "inc". We can all agree that more information is good, but you don't always have time. I would rather say things like "7 diamonds, right side near iron mine", what if you're running from iron mine? You're not going to say that. In that instance you would say inc. Now lets think of assassins. They're quick, and they can have gear.

The Solution
    Yes, were being extreme but so are you. Saying we all have the same play-style because we dis-agree with you is absolutely insane. I love scout, Hinge hates scout. I like p2 rushing, he likes strength rushing. I like defending. Now if we hop into a game here, this circumstance is crucial. Its not always that way, but it happens. Would you rather have someone say "Def" rather than nothing. Same with me. It doesn't have to be that specific anyway's think of it you're low health. A p2 rush is coming. You don't have time. In that situation I would agree to say "inc", but that doesn't mean its always that way. The whole sentence "This educational filter exists to turn us away from the idea that it's okay to do nothing" is terrible. I play different, I do things (although we joke that I don't in the clan), I very much do. Many times have I saved a rush, and also ruined one. I use the word "def", and I still do things. I know that might seem insane to you, because the very solemn times you play it happens.

Just a little more...
    This doesn't matter a bit. A few words that are filtered could be the most important, because its so small doesn't mean that the words don't matter. I have loved the people that say "def" to me, because it put me on alert.

Now I challenge you, Gallap... please think of a situation where it would be useless to say "def". Considering the two words almost mean the exact same by definition. The only things that "def" has over "inc" is that it's universal. People that don't know English know what "def" means. I cannot say the same for "inc". Thanks for listening, and I would love to hear the responses.
  4. TheFlame_YT Platinum

XP:
    230,567xp
    Its easy, I just say "defend" in spanish -> "Defended" Most of people understand :lmao:

I know this isnt very helpful, but I wanted to reply something :c, please dont punch me :[
    _Swipe and LegendaryAlex like this.
  5. anniPARERA Obsidian

XP:
    187,829xp
    Or 守る :stuck_out_tongue:
  6. WildWargasm Platinum

XP:
    232,117xp
    coming back to forums after midterms to see this
    [IMG]
  7. Ivandagiant Silver

XP:
    38,537xp
    Nice image, here is my reaction image:
    WildWargasm likes this.
  8. WildWargasm Platinum

XP:
    232,117xp
    Haha sorry, the GIF must not have worked! Should be fixed now :]
  9. connor564 Platinum

XP:
    157,819xp
    Hold up they censored the most used term in Anni that's just retarded :/
  10. RangerenBlade Regular Member

XP:
    13,630xp
    I'm just confused how the staff found the time to think up such a specific reason for fixing a problem that didn't exist, when there are problems like team-stacking that are ACTUAL problems.
  11. Murgatron Retired Staff

XP:
    970,785xp
    A chat filter is a fairly easy implementation versus designing, testing and implementing a solution to team stacking. We are more than aware of that issue however and are working on it, you'll just need to wait and see what comes!
  12. BowspamUToDeath Platinum

XP:
    761,499xp
    Don't be a cheap ass and expect to have VIP benefits for a service that you didn't help contribute to help run. Shotbow is nice enough to make much of the fun aspects of Shotbow free so don't start whining about this. Anyways, most games aren't team stacked and the more players there are the less team stacking occurs, just play on the weekends if that helps. By the way this is what I posted on a prievous thread complaining about this:

"Maybe it's because that us premiums fund the server and by doing that helps keep Shotbow running. There are also plenty of other threads of Plats complaining about the minimal amount of benefits that are given to us (which I'm okay with what we got for now). If you really want to consider this to be implemented, then why don't you make some decent suggestions of satisfactory benefits for Plats to substitute rather than just saying, "I think premium players should absolutely have benefits." If you want less unbalanced teams, then try to join when the numbers are larger on Anni during 11PM-7AM PST. Nevertheless, there is a common saying that is known as, "You get what you pay for." There is a reason why my $5 headphones broke in less than an hour and there is a reason why that guy on the airplane who payed $5000 for a first class ticket gets a 20 inch TV, gourmet meals, and a m'uch more comfortable sleeping space. This rule applies just as much to the contrast of benefits from the regular members to the premium ones."
    Hingey likes this.
  13. Ivandagiant Silver

XP:
    38,537xp
    Just because we are premiums doesn't mean we have to ruin the game for everybody else. Team stacking is a serious issue on weekdays, can make make the game almost unplayable. The game shouldn't be P2W.

You must be one of the reasons why EA is making everything into P2W microtransactions. "Oh, I paid for it, so I get the advantage"

While premiums should get perks, they shouldn't be abusing them. The server needs more players, and team stacking turns them away.

EDIT: It's not as much of an issue as before, when we had less players, but it's still here and steps must be taken to tone it down.
    _Swipe and LegendaryAlex like this.
  14. RangerenBlade Regular Member

XP:
    13,630xp
    I didn't think I'd have to elaborate on this, but here it is. I know premiums paid for 'VIP' services; I never said anything that should have even given you the notion that Premiums don't deserve something for their money, because the money they give to the server is indeed important. I was just giving a general problem in Shotbow that needs to be fixed. As for what solution I would suggest, I would have some sort of limit on to when a premium could join a full team, or something that involves classes that are exclusive to premiums (but still balanced of course). Even your 5$ headphones were able to give you some sort of audio quality reasonable with the materials they were made; whether you fly first-class or economy, the airline is still responsible for making your flight comfortable and getting you to your destination. Yes, you get what you paid for, but there is an expectation to that which makes it acceptable. There is no limit to solutions that could give Premiums some sort of edge in the game, but team-stacking is not an acceptable one because it virtually takes all the competition out of the game, and if you wanted one-sided gameplay where you are guaranteed to win, you may as well play single-player. Back when I used to play anni, this was not a problem; but as my brother has recently gotten into anni, I've seen how difficult it is to even play the game now. "week-days" and "weekends" are not the same thing to you as they are everywhere else, so that makes your point a bit moot, especially since the EU server has been terminated (looks like). As Ivandagiant says above, P2W games are not fun at all, which makes me hard-pressed to figure out where your reasoning for this is coming from. Just because you are apparently so privileged with money that you can spend money on in-game purchases doesn't entitle you to ruin the experience for the rest of us. I wouldn't even recommend Annihilation to a new player anymore, because many of the games that happen 6 out of the 7 days of the week (depending on timezones) end up with one team having more players than all the other teams combined. They may as well go on hypixel to play bedwars, or go on Mineplex to play Walls or their new Cakewars where they get similar gamemodes with pretty balanced gameplay.

Again, the fact that you immediately took my very generic comment and made it out to be "whining" is actually kind of rude. I never said premiums shouldn't get privileges, I just wanted to state an example of a problem that should be fixed, which, despite what you think, is indeed a problem whether you are a premium or not. Your statement that because I, a "cheap-ass" didn't contribute to the server because I didn't pay money is especially concerning. If that's the type of mindset that is on the server nowadays, I'm not sure why my "cheap-ass" wanted to come back in the first place.

I was just referring to how the staff managed to actually think that this needed 'fixing', but it's great to know you guys are at least working on it I guess.
    moarcringe and Ivandagiant like this.
  15. Dinohoot8 Platinum

XP:
    484,663xp
    People also say “Nexus!” When the Nexus is getting attacked by an opposing team.
  16. InstantLightning Jr. Developer, Web Mod Lead

XP:
    384,964xp
    Hello, as of right now the team does not have any plans of uncensoring defend, as this thread has gone off-topic, and the answers on why the word is censored by itself has been given multiple times, this thread has outlived its purpose. Thread locked.
    Snurkle and CoastinJosh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.