1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Tips for Fighting Giants?

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by Lumsterling, Sep 16, 2017.

Discussion - Tips for Fighting Giants?
  1. Lumsterling Regular Member

XP:
    15,306xp
    I went up to fight a giant with iron armor + iron sword + many healing potions, but got killed instantly because the stomp dealt 7 hearts of damage even when blocking with the shield, and flung me into the air where I died to fall damage. I thought you were supposed to jump to avoid the stomp, but the stomping animation and the actual shockwave appearing are so laggy that it's impossible to time it, it seems. The wiki just says to walk backwards while crit hitting or use a cobweb (but finding those are unreliable so I'd prefer not to use them anyways) but nothing on how to actually dodge their attacks. So...do I just need to bring tons of healing potions and tank all the damage, or is there a way to dodge the stomp? Any info on fighting giants in general would be appreciated.

2. Aexon Regular Member

XP:
    18,382xp
    Jumping makes the stomp worse, because as you saw, it may makes you fly (sometimes up in the air, sometimes very far away from the giant). What you can do is : use the shield (sometimes you won't take damages), or run away from the giant, and when you feel stomp damages are happening, start drinking a heal potion (that's what I do).
    What you can do is walk backwards + crit as you saw on the wiki, but you need some experience. If you have no experience with giants, what I recommend is using the different builds next to you to be safe from kick (For giant's farm : use the shack)
    MTrout likes this.
  3. MTrout Platinum

XP:
    729,897xp
    As far as I know, there is no way to avoid the stomp damage, unless you are far away from the giant. Blocking with your shield might negate some of the damage, but I find that giants don't deal enough damage to make this worthwhile. Maybe in a crazy scenario, using rabbits feet + agni's fury might be able to launch you high enough to avoid the stomp... but it really isn't worth getting two legendaries just to avoid giant damage--even if it is possible.

Jumping when a giant stomps is typically a very risky move. I only do that when I don't care if I die, since honestly it's quite fun to be launched 50 blocks in such a dangerous way. I would not suggest you do it unless you enjoy the "ride", haha.

So, you'll likely always take some amount of damage when a giant stomps. Just make sure to be near full health whenever a stomp happens. That means before you try to damage the giant, make sure to be near full health.

In my opinion, cobwebs really are not useful against fighting giants since they move when the giant stomp hits them.

Walking backwards and critting is a fairly safe strategy. If you want to play safe, try doing only one crit at a time (and make sure to clear little zombies after hitting the giant!). Spam hitting giants makes it more likely you'll die, such as if it spawns a baby pigman and stomps at the same time.

However, there are even safer strategies:
    -Bring the giant to some kind of structure. If you have access to PvE, the arch of the Al Hasa wall is a very good place for this. Most of the stomps will miss you since the giant often lands on the arch, and the giant cannot easily kick you.
    -Bringing the giant to the desert. This strategy is definitely not worth it, but if you really wanted to, you could bring the giant to a desert area and let it die from cactus damage.

While I typed this, I notice Aexon has pointed out most of the points I was trying to say. Hopefully this still helps you. :lmao:

Good luck killing a giant! :stuck_out_tongue:
    If you see me in game, feel free to PM me to see if I'm available to help you. :)
  4. Cole5slaw Platinum

XP:
    116,195xp
    There's really no way to escape a stomp aside from being very high above or very low below it.

Jumping while the giant stomps should be used to get away from the giant, and the giant should either be level with you or above you because otherwise the explosions go underneath you and launch you up. Others in this thread are saying otherwise but in my experience I take no more than 1/2 to 1 heart of damage if I do this.

When the giant stomps, you're supposed to run as far as you can away then block when it lands, but I think there's a shield warm-up period for it like there is in vanilla. Sometimes the giant won't jump very high because of lag or something and for that you have to have sound on and know when to time it.

Crit-jumping while walking backwards is about the speed that the giant moves at and confuses zombie AIs that have spawned, so use that strategy.

If possible try to get a giant a block below you because the current giant AI isn't very good with moving up blocks, so it will get stuck until it stomps. A good place to do this is Giants Farm near the shore.

Using buildings is good for beginners but isn't always effective. For example, at Al Hasa the giant could jump or stomp over the walls, and if you do manage to kill it from there the loot may fall on top of things.

Lastly, make sure you aren't bleeding or are infected while fighting the giant. This is what has always caused double stomps for me, which are almost always fatal.

I suggest trying to fight a giant with a seasoned player while noting how they deal with it or watch some up-to-date videos. Sometimes you can find someone fighting one at Al Hasa on PvE.

Don't get frustrated if you die your first few times, we all did.
    MTrout and LegendaryAlex like this.
  5. Lumsterling Regular Member

XP:
    15,306xp
    Thanks for all the help guys! I wasn't too bummed when I died because I had only spent about an hour to get to that point. I was going to the end of the ravine (south of Tenebris and west of Fort McHarlington) to fight giants, as it is near potion spawns (Tenebris) and chain/iron armor (McHarlington/Zerbia). There are absolutely no buildings or even 1-block height changes; it's all completely flat there. While it's a convenient location, it sounds like there are better places to fight giants because there is no environment to use to my advantage there. Although, it seems like they only spawn at very specific areas and that place is the only one I know of. Both attempts, the giant spawned at the exact same spot there.

So if I see the giant stomping, I should run away and block, then start drinking a potion immediately once I take damage? If zombies spawn, deal with them immediately, and I shouldn't be kicked if i'm walking backwards because it's the same speed the giant moves at. I almost wish the old sword blocking was still doable; the shield seems so random on when it reduces damage and when it doesn't...
  6. CrazySmokerDude Platinum

XP:
    2,557xp
    Just don't spam click a giant and you'll be fine.
    Cole5slaw likes this.
  7. Fridge2177 Retired Staff

XP:
    269,370xp
  8. Wayvernia Retired Staff

XP:
    123,163xp
    Only crit them out and do it slowly! And run when they stomp :wink: Using this method will be the most effective.
    CrazySmokerDude likes this.