1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion This is Annihilation - Not Shotbow XP Farming

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Murgatron, Sep 4, 2014.

Discussion - This is Annihilation - Not Shotbow XP Farming
?

What should be done about XP farms?

Ban it. 123 vote(s) 26.9%
Adjust mechanics. 213 vote(s) 46.6%
Leave it (I need to farm). 168 vote(s) 36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Murgatron Retired Staff

XP:
    970,785xp
    Annihilation currently suffers from certain players who do want to play Annihilation. Instead they are intent on abusing using the current system in Annihilation to gain Shotbow XP for purchases on the network. Recent changes were even made to bloodmage with the intent of reducing the farming ability of the class!

While you could argue about the price of items/classes in the XP shop is a reason for those to XP farm, the core issue is stopping farms in the first place in Annihilation. So let's look at a few solutions:

Banning it.

It has been regarded for quite some time by staff that XP grinding (or better known as farming) is frowned upon:

The example bracko gives, to me, is comparable to farming in annihilation currently!

This would be a good deterrent and personally would love to see this implemented....

However let us be realistic. It would be very hard for the current admin team to investigate and punish every player who farms players for 8mins with strength - there are simply too many players and not enough admins.

Adjusting the Mechanics.

The current system in place means if a player is killed at spawnpoint their killer is not given any Shotbow XP. However this is easy to get around as player simply need to be "knocked" from their spawnpoint to become XP packets.

This is also ignoring another factor - farms on Coastal/Canyon/Andorra etc tend to occur on in a bottleneck place, staircases or entrances to the nexus. It can be argued that defenders should not be "giving" these attackers XP by throwing themselves in an attempt to defend their nexus - but these defenders are playing the game as it was intended!!

Mr_Darn once said in the Shotbow chat the solution I would love to see implemented:

This is the solution - it does not give any advantage to newly spawned players such as resistance or PvP immunity (that has been suggested before) and deprives those who currently XP farm.

Those who farm, in my opinion, are ruining the enjoyment of this gamemode for others - to the point where players who farm are throwing abusive comments and slurs towards PLAYERS who STOP their XP farming. This is how ridiculous it has got and it is an absolute sham that those players feel they have the right to harass someone who is playing the gamemode as it was designed.

:zanonymous:

Edit:

Question: If a teammate is actively and knowingly blocking you from breaking an enemy nexus, is that team griefing and against the rules?

Answer: Maggie_May_Play: Yes, I'd say bannable.

2. luke1066 Regular Member

XP:
    16,819xp
    :wink: agreed. +3616436154321564 supports.
    Reillyrox13 likes this.
  3. Litnetti Emerald

XP:
    129,775xp
    Or you could just record the kids doing it and you know, submit the video :D
  4. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    Exactly. I asked people why they farm and they answer things like "it's just farming calm down" (these last two words were different though).
    The problem about stopping to run down and let them farm is that they will simply hit the nexus a few times and everyone runs back down.
  5. Sirrias Emerald

XP:
    173,624xp
    i agree with you, Farming is the past, I have done it, and I know i did it, a few months back I realised that it's just stupid and game ruining. so I also quit it. I am 100% behind you but I think you shouldn't insta ban people from doing it, I think they should try and adjust the Murganics. (yes I said it)
    JJ_Jun and ThuRealMasturz like this.
  6. Iceember Platinum

XP:
    5,000xp
    Or yaknow add multiple access points to the same area.. Why do you think it's so hard to farm on maps such as Kingdom or Skylands beck even Villages. It's because there isn't a specific bottleneck so you either need to take 10 or so people and split that group up a bunch or have them stand in one area and get overwhelmed by rushing leathers.
  7. jaka100 Gold

XP:
    11,576xp
    I've been in a game once, where some of my teammates decided to farm the last enemy nexus. I arrived at the nexus and finished it off. They claimed I wasn't a team player. A sign that something needs to be changed ...
  8. Accieo Gold

XP:
    32,257xp
    I think that the people that farm always use Gapple, without gapple it is very easy to kill the rushers to be honest.
    Agent_PvP likes this.
  9. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    I was hiding as a spy in an enemies nexus room on coastal, when suddenly 3 irons appeared and brought the nexus down to 1 and went back up to farm. Couldn't resist to hit the nexus in exchange for my life. They started hackusating me :3
    Razelesh, SirRuben99, _Quote and 2 others like this.
  10. GigaFang Regular Member

XP:
    15,724xp
    The people that farm are hurting the game for real players. If they decide to reduce the amount of experience gained in annihilation, real players will be discouraged from playing. I think the solution would be a combination of making more spawn points, more entrances to the nexuses, and vastly increasing the amount of experience gained from hitting the nexus, and most importantly, winning the game. I also think that anyone caught doing this should be severely punished.
    MrNomNom111 and ELECTROxNick like this.
  11. Ghostchickenx9 Platinum

XP:
    369,655xp
    Quit running down the nexus stairs..
    Rixhack likes this.
  12. Mersid Regular Member

XP:
    114,574xp
    Triple the xp gain for all teammates in an enemy nexus then that nexus is damaged, double the xp if the nexus is destroyed while they are in it's nexus tower, and remove all xp gain from killing in the nexus tower.
    55trixton55 likes this.
  13. Sirrias Emerald

XP:
    173,624xp
    Good work!!
    ALSO Great work!! ;P
    DemonicKai and HyerJohn like this.
  14. Az_Naviko Gold

XP:
    520,672xp
    I completely agree with the spawn timer! :D

It is a wonderfully simple, easy, and realistic fix to what has become a huge problem.

I do feel like there isn't enough incentive for destroying an enemy Nexus - XP farming can get you thousands of XP - whereas destroying a Nexus (even completely by yourself) doesn't give you as much as you would think (after all - the game is focused around destroying the Nexus of the opposing teams).

I think the fix you suggest should be implemented immediately - and then perhaps another look taken at the XP earned for destroying a Nexus....

--------------------------
    All the times I've been criticized by my own team for destroying the enemy Nexus... "DUDE - WE WERE GONNA FARM MAN..."

or

The times I have not defended my Nexus because it is clearly a farming operation (more often than not nowadays - the enemy sits in your Nexus area without even touching the Nexus - just to farm your team...)

Murgatron - thank you once again for your efforts to help and improve Annihilation :D
    _Quote, Murgatron and DemonicKai like this.
  15. AdrianCamacho Platinum

XP:
    16,523xp
    i don't want to be called a hater, farmer or whatever but why do u need to stop this? this will be always the same, in COD u can control where the enemies spawn when you got a nice kill streak and a team, so that's a "farm" there are other mmorpg's games when you spawn and your enemie is waiting in a hiden place to kill you and that strong guy will do it again, again and again almost in every game you can farm (i think that u can't do it in battlefield but idk) and those players don't want to ruin someones match, they just want xp, i've been farming these days and was only for xp i also got farmed b4 and sometimes i fail while farming (i stopped cuz' i already have enough xp)... But there is another kind of players that just want to ruin someones game like Flauros_mc, he just farm because idk. he got 200k xp also 20k kils and idk what that guy wants :confused: there is ppl what just want chaos.
    Cheesybagofballs likes this.
  16. Stormy Gold

XP:
    74,232xp
    Xp farming is a big issue and I totally agree that they should do something about it! Getting xp takes time and to get that you need to play for it. Don't let it ruin the game for other's, But it sucks that mojang made it so people cant buy in game items :(
  17. Rebel_Vanguard Platinum

XP:
    10,955xp
    You have my support, I honestly hope that a way to discourage XP farming is implemented. And, I like the idea that Mr_Darn gave. Personally, I would love to see the death of XP farming, and I hope I see it go down in flames very, very soon.
    harrymax59 likes this.
  18. the_grim_sleeper Obsidian

XP:
    31,765xp
    Well, if farming does become something that can be punished, what do we draw the line at? People will be calling solo rushes farming, and coordinated rushes that kill fresh spawns before they get in the nexus will be labeled the same.
    Reporters and the farmed teams will twist the definition of farming for their own purposes, their judgement clouded by rage and butthurt over a virtual game, consequently banning people who come onto Shotbow to have fun.
    Just more strain on staff and a whole new way to get banned.

BloodMage farming, I could understand why it could be seen as unfair. But without a real reason why farming can't be stopped, we can't complain. Darn's suggestion, however, is the best suggestion I've seen against farming, and I would prefer if that was implemented instead of a half-assed, unreasonable mechanic.
  19. Wun Gold

XP:
    109,844xp
    I think that the best way to stop this would be something like you would begin getting diminishing returns (maybe -10% per kill) after 10 kills within a minute.
  20. C400 Platinum

XP:
    300,522xp
    Finally this wouldn't be allowed, it's basically like minez farming which was never intended.
    Agent_PvP likes this.