1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

The "Shotbow"

Discussion in 'The Network' started by WavyWonderz, Apr 10, 2013.

The "Shotbow"
  1. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    A few of the games on the Shotbow network have the "Shotbow" as an item that you can obtain. In MineZ, it's quite rare. (I haven't actually gotten it before, so I don't know how effective it is.) I was wondering how the server tells the difference if someone fires a "Shotbow" or a normal bow. (or in Ghost-Craft, there's the "battlebow") I'm just starting out at developing, and because I often play on this server, it is where lots of my inspiration came from. How does the server know to fire a one arrow, or a burst of arrows. A simple way to do this would be through permissions, but that can't be, because anyone could find a "Shotbow" and switch to the normal bow and fire, and it would still act as it should (at least I presume). You could also make some sort of "hidden enchantment"... but how the heck do you do that? Of course, you don't have to answer, the small things are what makes the servers great, and you can't just be giving out your secrets can you? :wink:

2. snowball314 Silver

XP:
    7,168xp
    the shotbow coding is top secret Admin/developer stuff. (long for I dont know)
  3. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Shhh, they'll tell us, I know it...
  4. jugularvein123 Silver

XP:
    19,663xp
    It has to do with the name as far as I can tell. In a wasted vid HighLife could change the gun by renaming it.
  5. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Wasted is different, each weapon is a different item... That wouldn't make sense. The "Shotbow" is the same item as a bow, so there's a secret hiding somewhere :wink:
  6. jugularvein123 Silver

XP:
    19,663xp
    He had the same item, then he would do a rename command which would change the name of the item. This caused it to act like the weapon it was named as.
  7. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Interesting... sorry I didn't quite know what you meant the first time... Thank you for mentioning this.
  8. CraftThatB Regular Member

XP:
    1,420xp
    You can get/set the Item display name using itemmeta.
  9. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Of course you can, the question is how.

Edit: figured out how, but if I use this on a normal server, won't players be able to rename an item with an anvil and it'll act like it? Of course, I don't think you can use anvils in MineZ or the other games. Also, I guess I could possible plop a hidden enchantment (so it won't show up for the user) on the item and it'll check for both?
  10. JuanDeags Platinum

XP:
    15,221xp
    With lazers unknown magic coding godlike skills of course, he can do ALOT of things, with The Shotbow, its a secret, if its there and you're wondering how, ask him personally.
  11. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Aight, got most of it made! All I need is to fix up the randomization when a player fires the shotbow.
  12. Ju1cY_0n3 Emerald

XP:
    16,463xp
    As far as I know, lazer has it so people cannot use anvils, which are cheaty nonetheless, and has the server check for a name on the bow. If the server checks, and the name is one of the preloaded types, the server shoots out a few more arrows for you in a random direction, or for whatever bow it is.
  13. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Upon more testing, I figured out that the more you draw the bow back, the more arrows fire. Also, all fired arrows have the same forward velocity no matter how far you pull the bow back.
  14. Ju1cY_0n3 Emerald

XP:
    16,463xp
    Correct.
    But, knowing lazer, he probably just talked to a blank page for 3 seconds, and magical java showed up.
    Not to mention the speed that he does it. Usually it takes awhile for mods to be updated, but lazer somehow updates 27+ plugins within 3 days.

Side note: Asking lazer how he did the shotbow isn't such a good idea, you will most likely just get no response, or one that just says "Figure it out yourself"
  15. PineapplesTM Platinum

XP:
    58,720xp
    Your first side note has already been proved, and I am working on figuring it out right myself.