1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion The Problem With Shotbow

Discussion in 'The Network' started by de3tr0yer, Jul 1, 2017.

Discussion - The Problem With Shotbow | Page 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This_is_Hugo Emerald

XP:
    9,076xp
    You can't expect them to listen to everything suggestion, especially if it's not a good one.

However the 1.9 enchanting things pretty fucked up, however I think they should have it for a week and re-done the vote to see if people would still want it (I don't think they would).
    Hinge15J likes this.

2. ccccccccccccccc Regular Member

XP:
    3,954xp
    they listened to 0 of the 100s of suggestions for classes. The class that got added is worse than most of the community ideas were.

if they're going to disregard our opinion anyway, why bother asking in the first place
  3. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp

We're still considering it.

I'm going to go through the first 20 threads or so in the class suggestion tag.

The annihilation team decided that 1.9 enchanting was too OP, so we changed it for the health of the gamemode.
  4. vampire_toothy Obsidian

XP:
    86,698xp

I'm just going to have to disagree for a moment here. Not everyone should be expected to be able to explain their own ideas with pinpoint accuracy as not everyone has the time, motivation in some cases a way to properly manage a thread to where everything is exactly to shotbow's needs. Not only that, but what constructive feedback is would actually fully depend on the person for a case by case basis, we can all agree that being constructive would be expressing a suggestion and explaining why it's needed or not including negative behavior, but for what can be seen as a valid suggestion still highly depends on the person making it. I personally think that every suggestion should be looked at the same exact way as any other suggestion as long as it's not done to intentionally fully offend the network as a whole because it's still coming from your community at the end of the day and some of them just simply don't have the proper way to word it at the time, but in general these are suggestions coming from this very community in hopes of improving the network. Additionally I must also point out that there have been threads that are both constructive and reasonable that have been ignored/left without a response by most full admins or the leadership and one of those many examples was actually my own thread which many other players agreed on but still shotbow went with the complete opposite of what was wanted, and that thread was this one : https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/make-minez-difficult-again-discussion-suggestions.369856/ , there are also many other threads that have been seemingly ignored (or viewed without much response from the staff) however this is the first that comes to mind and infact, some threads or posts I've viewed as valid (during and after my time as staff) were even removed at some point without any actual warning or indication. Regardless, all ideas should be looked into, especially with shotbow in it's current state ;

The problem is likely not in your current selection of gamemodes themself, I personally think that shotbow still has some form of potential if they were to listen to their players more, even for the type of feedback that really isn't as good as they would like, all feedback is basically feedback. For example, if you were running a business that perhaps made a product that was unintentionally life-threatening, you would have to listen to the negative feedback in order to actually fix that major issue, not just the super positive responses or else nothing really changes, that product still has the potential to kill people and then more people stop buying it until things come to a halt for whatever imaginable reason.
    Listening and responding to negative feedback is what's going to help the network out, if there were never any negative opinions then no improvements would ever be made.
    Back on my original point with this, the gamemodes have potential to some degree, they just lack anything groundbreaking to actually make players want to come back as opposed to way overhyped threads for smaller updates that don't really follow too much in what the community did want. There might be maybe one thing or two that gets in by community suggestion, but those suggestions are often abysmal (excluding robinhood in the anni class update) and does not account for the much larger portions of feedback.

Respond or prove me wrong if you wish, but that is my very basic standpoint on this side of the discussion as of right now only based off of what I've seen as of recently.
    Corrade likes this.
  5. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp
    "Constructive and reasonable" doesn't mean I expect everyone to only say nice things. If you want to say something negative, do so, but only if you present the issue well or provide potential fixes to the related issue. Things like "omg shotbow is dying" will be ignored, because we can't do anything with that.

I'm posting all of this because I'm starting to review threads on the forums. If you have one, link it.

Making a small edit to this:

Please link them to me so that they can be noticed. I can't filter through all of the threads created every day alone.
  6. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    This whole "constructive and reasonable" bs isnt how you run things. I have left several comments on forum pages made by staff on questions good questions or comments! Only an hour or so after they last posted it. Do i need to make my comments all CAPS or do I need to pm you people to get some feed back. If you make a Thread or comment something that asks for a response I would expect to be replyed to. The community its self is pretty fed up with being ignored. And oh yeah... "Shotbow is dieing"

Here is your example https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/enchanting-1-7-or-1-9.371854/?_params=Array
  7. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    What you fail to see is that Shotbow exists of more than just Annihilation and the few people that are working on it. There is a whole team that is working very hard on the rest of the network too. Just because you don't get a reply doesn't mean it hasn't been read. Sure, it would be nice to get some kind of return to let you now it's been seen, but that just doesn't happen at times.

The way posts are created and written also plays a big role in how much attention it's going to receive. If for example you come up with a good idea, type it out and proceed to finish your story with 'fix this or do that otherwise this shitty server will die', you can forget that you're ever going to get a response from the people that are responsible for that particular gamemode.
    ACrispyTortilla and Hingey like this.
  8. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    I wasn't wrong though. Maybe we could start by fixing the ignored part by having that staff member like what they found "useful" or even just a thank you for taking the time to respond.

EDIT: Im realy only envovlded in anni so if im taking about staff or shotbow im usually only refering to the Anni side of things.

https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/enchanting-1-7-or-1-9.371854/?_params=Array

Even in that post Champion and I asked for a revote along with the people who liked our comments. But no when the developers changed the enchanting system they did it on there own.
  9. Litnetti Emerald

XP:
    129,775xp
    if you read it and never respond people are just going to assume admins have never seen it

i'm not talking about responding to every idea, but every other idea would let people know that someone is looking at community suggestions

and let's face it, up until all this shotbow criticism stuff, admins have rarely responded to posts that do not regard admin/network criticism

edit: a word
    Hingey and Rixhack like this.
  10. ProjectMovieZ Regular Member

XP:
    53,592xp
    Most threads are usually good about this type of stuff though. I would say the majority tend to be well-written and constructive.
  11. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp

That's exactly what's being suggested though. I think it's fair to say that a developer is probably reading the replies to his post and is taking the feedback into consideration.

It is unreasonable to expect a personal reply to everything.
    ProjectMovieZ likes this.
  12. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    A like would be nice. Just because you dont reply to everything doesn't mean you cant confirm what you read with a like. If its helpful and adds to the conversation it would be nice to know my time wasn't wasted by writing it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense im tired:zsleeping:.
  13. Creeperker Ruby

XP:
    1,944,942xp
    We shouldn't talk about such topics. We've done like this many and many and many times but Shotbow has never changed.
    So you said you're hearing feedback and idea right? Then here is my request for you. Please explain what you will do in July, Something is welcome, transfer EU data to US or develop in-garage gamemode etc...
  14. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    We can't really.

The most I can say is "we will be working on" and even then I'm worried about saying anything as people treat anything like that as a promise.

It's also really hard to organize as all the developers are working on their own projects.

Luckily, if you bother to keep up with your favorite games, you know what they're doing.

In fact, I did say some of what you're asking for in the new moon

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  15. ccccccccccccccc Regular Member

XP:
    3,954xp

also
    >"garage" "worked on" "backburner"
    aka nothing
  16. Ice_God Retired Staff

XP:
    212,924xp
    [IMG]
    Maggie, Hinge15J, matjellison and 5 others like this.
  17. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp
    thank you for the javert.
  18. FadingGeneral Platinum

XP:
    313,988xp
    I see that many people are unhappy with the level of information that is being given to them in terms of gamemode progress (new releases, updates, etc.). Would it be possible for the admin team to create and release a Roadmap, that would show the plans of what is to be done to gamemodes or even new releases of gamemodes? I know every month or so Navar creates a newsletter that talks about changes to come in the following month or several months to come, but that doesn't show the whole picture for the year. In my opinion, when a Roadmap was posted for the previous year (https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/shotbow-2016-roadmap.338152/), I felt more informed and was excited yet patient for the changes and additions to come. I believe others felt better too, even if all the plans in the Roadmap were not accomplished.
  19. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    After that roadmap we realized that our players treat it like a release schedule, so we will not be doing one ever again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  20. matjellison Regular Member

XP:
    34,575xp

Why not big bold coloured words at the top of the thread stating this:

THIS IS NOT A RELEASE SCHEDULE

I think people would really get the point after that (or at least most of the community). Just because it doesn't work once doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Personally, disclosing more information about actual progress (not plans that haven't even been worked on yet) is a step in the right direction.

On the note of this thread as a whole, I've seen a lot of these for the past couple of years. Most of them have just been complaints with no real suggestions and such and generally died or got locked. On the other hand, there have been some really serious ones with good ideas, which should've probably been worked on.

I love how Shotbow emphasises their originality through their game modes but right now, there's nothing new to add at this point. If something is original, nobody has heard of it so it will be a lot harder to be difficult to even expose our game mode, considering how small our server is now. Not only that, it requires a learning curve. It's harder to attract new players willing to learn rather than attract players already comfortable on the ideas around it.
    What I think happens is that most players will search terms like, 'skyblock servers', 'hunger games minecraft servers', etc, on Google. Why? These are very well known game modes and you know what servers will appear? Mineplex, Hypixel and those big ones. Now if you keep looking through, you'll descend upon smaller servers and then they'll join if there's a fair amount on (around 200 possibly). Now here's what the problem I think really comes down to. Shotbow has no popular game modes that most players know of with the possible exception of MineZ. Annihilation is pretty much only known on Shotbow and god knows if MTA is even searched up at all. Nobody thinks to search up, 'annihilation game mode minecraft' and stuff like that because they don't even know it exists. The lack of game modes also affect the exposure of our server to everyone else. When you think that original game modes attract more players, it will only do so in the terms of a highly popular YouTuber or streamer playing it, but how will they even know if there's no exposure for our own server?
    Coming back around to this, MineZ was only popular because we had YouTubers playing it and because it was one of a kind. I'm going to straight up call it a rare occurrence because Annihilation should've attracted a huge playerbase, but all it did was attract the current playerbase to something else. Since then, nothing has changed much.

I would like to talk about more topics but I'll probably end up doing so if they arise for a discussion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.