1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion The Problem With Shotbow

Discussion in 'The Network' started by de3tr0yer, Jul 1, 2017.

Discussion - The Problem With Shotbow
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. de3tr0yer Regular Member

XP:
    18,020xp
    From recent experience, and from what I’ve seen on the forums Shotbow
    doesn't seem to value its community's input very much. Now, I have no doubt that this community is important to the Shotbow Staff, but it seems to end there. There have been many forum posts asking for community input but I have yet to see any of the changes or features requested in that post to actually happen. It seems like no matter how much we ask nothing ever happens. The staff is making the server to their liking and not that of the players. I have far too many great ideas rejected and much of the changes we ask for never happen.
    We’re always told that the staff has many plans for the server and its game mode but we are never told what those plans are. It gets to the point where we are surprised with features and changes that most of the community dislikes. Then when we ask for changes, they never seem to happen. And while we don’t need to know everything it would be nice to at least know something about the future of our game modes.
    After all, we are the people who play on this server and its game modes. So why don't we have more influence in what actually happens with them? This should not be a one-way process, in which our input is meaningless and the devs have complete control. All we want is more choice in the changes made to the server that we love. Is that too much to ask for?

2. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    De3tr0yer thank you for supporting the community so much by making this. "Consumer knows best" ideals seem to have been lost by Developers somewhere in 2015. Unfortunately this post will probably be taken down by a staff member for harassment or something. I see many people wanting to help this server by contributing ideas, new game modes, skills, maps and spend quite a bit of effort in doing so only to be shot down. Im sorry if this post is viewed another way but I and many others in this community feel our contributions are being neglected and that everyone in this community should be acknowledged and valued.
  3. I_cant_breed Platinum

XP:
    310,591xp
    The problem with Shotbow is everything, at this point. This is probably one of the most mismanaged server I've ever seen.
    The times where lazer and Highlife would log on the server and innovation was a staple on this server are long gone, and there's no way it's gonna come back to it at all.
    I've seen these posts for a solid 2 years now, if after all this time nothing has changed then I don't know man. Seems like every time one of these pops up, it's just useless space used up on the website.
  4. This_is_Hugo Emerald

XP:
    9,076xp
    I think the main problem with shotbow is how stuck up they are about only having original game modes.
    There are only three gamemodes, Annihilation, MTA(which is an acquired taste) and MineZ(which any new player would be clueless on what to do), having only three gamemodes means people overplay them.

Shotbow needs to release some better versions of:
    Skywars
    Bedwars
    UHC
    Skyblock ( a non crap version with only trades and no currency, and achievements )
    Mini games
    And in general alot more gamemodes

EDIT:
    Also another thing with shotbow is that they do not understand that if they have some unoriginal gamemodes that people are attracted to they wont get new players to the original gamemodes
  5. FreeCookson Platinum

XP:
    3,771xp
    This is true.

Shotbow has a lot of mini admins who wanted to get stuff accomplished but Highlife blocked it. Sacredmopheadz for example knew about 20 people who were cheating but he couldn't get them banned because shotbow has some weird ass criteria for banning cheaters.

My friend Silverfaze resigned from admin team essentially because he felt like the server wasn't going anywhere and he was better off spending his time elsewhere.

If your looking for people to blame its the high up admins.
  6. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp

We're happy to listen to community feedback, and do regularly, but most people's time seems to be spent writing "omg shotbow is dying!!" posts instead of giving constructive feedback. ("Listen to our feedback!" is no longer applicable. If your thread is civil and contains reasonable ideas/feedback, you should receive a response.)

Why would we take this down for harassment?

When people submit new gamemodes/skills/etc, they usually aren't reasonable, or we can't handle the coding necessary to create it. Now that our volunteer developer team is finished with the 1.9 update, we are looking to create more content updates. Thanks for understanding!

From an outside perspective, it may seem mismanaged, but internally we are fairly organized. Now that we have the dev power to create new content we will be attempting to.

If we add a new gamemode, we will probably want to add some kind of original twist. Any server can offer Skyblock, UHC, etc, which means that there is no reason for any players to be attracted to our servers. If I'm looking for a skywars server, I would just go to the largest one and never go to another one. The same is true for a large part of the Minecraft community. (If anyone has ideas for ways to put an original twist on a popular gamemode, please do post them!)

If I recall correctly he was trying to ban ghost clienters, which is a ridiculously hard thing to do. It's usually something that we'd like lots of proof for. We don't want to ban skilled members of our community accidentally for ghost clienting, because modified client bans are difficult to appeal. We also aren't open to the idea of screensharing. Lots of people on the administrator team have expressed that they feel it's a large invasion of privacy. (I for one would never screenshare, I'd just take the ban.)

To everyone else, if there's a thread you think has been ignored and contains constructive and reasonable feedback/suggestions, please let us know.
  7. Deadtoad5 Platinum

XP:
    16,724xp
  8. 134891949 Regular Member

XP:
    223,881xp

hi
  9. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    Sunlost thank you for taking the time to reply. But I see many of your points as excuses used by many of the admins that are unwilling to make a change for the better of the server. Something needs to change if shotbow wants to continue to be a "Major" server. And I know you guys are makeing an effort to bring back old game modes but shotbow's staff is not even close to what they used to be.
    _RunningKing_ and This_is_Hugo like this.
  10. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    Hi, I understand the point you're working towards. However, providing original gamemodes is what this network was built upon. If for instance we were to copy and slightly modify every good running gamemode on Hypixel as you suggest with Bedwars, then that would essentially make us a casual copycat server.

We don't have 3 major gamemodes, but 4. If you would pay attention to forumthreads and changelogs, you would see that feedback from the community is in fact being taken into account and acted upon.
    ACrispyTortilla likes this.
  11. ccccccccccccccc Regular Member

XP:
    3,954xp
    lol
    xXx_Dhuvy_xXx, Rixhack and Hinge15J like this.
  12. This_is_Hugo Emerald

XP:
    9,076xp
    Forgot about smash :stuck_out_tongue:

Also understood, however every other casual copycat server buys there gamemodes off McMarket and ruin gamemodes,
    e.g. servers that have hunger games/survival games on have the most random crap in chests and never anything normal, half the time I have and inventory full of feathers.
    However if shotbow did a hunger games I would see it as almost a cross with MineZ, e.g. the chests disappeared once looted and ranged from
    Common chests to dungeon outs, without all the unnecessary items such as healing kits and dyes.
    Now I know for a fact that a developer could get core gamemode of hunger games finished in 4 hours max, obviously kits would take longer and require testing,l.
    All in all if you actually work on basic concepts and put the amazing shotbow twist on you will be able to call yourself a major server once again.
    KounterattacK likes this.
  13. I_cant_breed Platinum

XP:
    310,591xp
    If you think your management is organized, good for you! But when in practice it led to the loss of tens of thousands of players, then you claiming it being effective isn't changing a damn thing.
    Shotbow's downhill wasn't the result of one man, but rather a collection of successive poor decisions that have crippled the gamemodes, the community and pretty much the whole server.
  14. FreeCookson Platinum

XP:
    3,771xp

Its not that hard to ban most ghostclienters its just shotbow is 5 years behind in terms of anti cheat and dealing with them. You can use stuff on this server that will get you banned in less than a minute on badlion or minehq. Razer Synapse autoclickers and cracked vape will get you almost instantly banned on servers with actually decent nocheat, aka servers that are not shotbow.
    Hinge15J likes this.
  15. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp
    I'm definitely happy for change to be made. If you find a thread on the forums that you think should be looked at, link it to me.

I'd like to put that blame onto 1.9, which was caused by our lack of developement power at the time.

Additionally, the entire Minecraft community has drifted to quicker, fast-paced gamemodes instead of longer gamemodes like MineZ and Annihilation.

We're looking into quicker gamemodes.

Unfortunately I can't make too many speculations about our anticheat, but I do know those anticheat systems are a lot more finely tuned than our own. We're starting to work on that now.

Once again:
    Hinge15J and LegendaryAlex like this.
  16. Myrkgard Regular Member

XP:
    5,101xp
    I believe that you guys are trying but it seems like nothing really happens. Larger updates are rare and we have not seen a new game mode in a very long time. And you guys may be working on new things but until we see something we will continue to believe that nothing is really getting done.

I hardly see any game mode, other than Anni, reach 30 people. Shotbow needs something to draw players in and if it takes a couple game modes that other servers have then so be it. Shotbow does not need to copy every game mode but just a couple to draw in players who will hopefully then play on the other game modes. Shotbow needs something to draw in players because right now it is dying.
    Hinge15J likes this.
  17. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp
    Earlier today at 8:04 PM CST we had 250 players online, with 119 on Annihilation and 61 on MineZ.

The problem with unoriginal gamemodes (lets take Skywars as our example) is that no one has any reason to play "Shotbow Skywars" over anyone else's Skywars without some kind of original twist. We had a concept version of a unique Skywars about half a year ago that never made it to fruition because of the 1.9 development. We may take another look at it.

Gamemodes like Prison are probably not an option for us. We would need a faster gamemode concept that take less than 15 minutes per match, because that is what the general Minecraft audience is looking for. (Very popular modes include Skywars, Bedwars, Murder, Speed UHC, Speed SG, Spleef, etc.)
  18. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    Bring back Ghostcraft and ill start promoting shotbow through my connections. :wink:
  19. ProjectMovieZ Regular Member

XP:
    53,592xp
    You guys already have good game modes. You just need to focus on fixing them when you can, and bringing back game modes from the Garage.
    AnotherGuy100 and KounterattacK like this.
  20. ccccccccccccccc Regular Member

XP:
    3,954xp
    This_is_Hugo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.