1. Summer is here! For a limited time, get our platinum and gold packages for 25% off! Just use coupon code SUMMER2017 at checkout. The full (non-discounted) value can be applied to Emerald and Obsidian upgrades!

Visit our premium page as this coupon expires on June 30th!

Other The current server maintenance of Qubion Creative

Discussion in 'Qubion Creative' started by McJeffr, Jun 10, 2017.

Other - The current server maintenance of Qubion Creative
  1. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    UPDATE 11/06/2017 23:59 CEST:
    Qubion is currently open to the public again. We have revoked access to the BigPlot world from all of the regular members to prevent the server from crashing. Once we get the issues in the BigPlot world resolved, this access will be restored. Once again, your plots are safe in the BigPlot world. For the time being, only the SmallPlot world is available.

Original post:
    Hello everyone!

This is a quick update on the current server maintenance that has been going on at the Qubion Creative server. Last weekend we noticed that the server crashed quite a lot for unknown reasons. We were able to trace these crashes down to a corrupted chunk located in the BigPlot world. When this chunk got loaded, the server would simply shut down and not reboot. Supposedly the cause of this corrupted chunk has connections with the downtime we had at the start of last week.

So why have we not gone ahead and delete / regenerate the corrupted chunk? Well, due to the nature of the SmallPlot and BigPlot worlds, this is very hard. These worlds are rather old and have gathered quite a bit of file size over the years. This makes it extremely difficult to remove the corrupted chunk via an external program such as MCEdit. This means that Qubion Creative has been in maintenance mode (whitelisted) for the majority of this week, allowing Qubion Builders to continue their building in the private BT world.

So, what is next? We are currently still looking at a good way to get rid of the corrupted region, though this has been delayed a bit with the release of 1.12. We currently are not sure how long this would take. Additionally, we are investigating in opening the server to the public again but not allow access to the BigPlot world for the time being. This is something we will update you all later this weekend on when we have done some testing.

Hope this post contains enough information to update you all on the current situation. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions below for some more short and direct information.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Are my plot and rank safe?
    Yes, your plot and especially your rank will not be affected by the current issue. We have already reached out to the person who owns the corrupted plot and they are aware of the issue.

When will Qubion open again?
    We are not sure yet. We will release more information on that once we know it.

What is the status on Qubion 1.9?
    We are a bit delayed with the release of Qubion 1.9, as most of you are aware. This is also caused due to the somewhat odd nature of Qubion compared to other gamemodes on Shotbow. The release of 1.12 will slow this down a bit more too. As stated in some earlier threads on these forums, Qubion would be one of the first gamemodes to fully go to 1.12 but we have yet to investigate into the possibilities of this and no action towards Qubion 1.12 has been taken yet.

Are you guys currently updating Qubion to 1.9 as well?
    No.

Why is the server in "maintenance mode"?
    "Maintenance Mode" is simply another term for whitelisted. Only staff can join the server right now for testing purposes and building purposes as they have been instructed to not go to the BigPlot world.

2. ACrispyTortilla Platinum

XP:
    46,085xp
    well, guess I can't buld my giant sandworm on big plots for a while...
    LegendaryAlex likes this.
  3. DutchBartje Emerald

XP:
    653,204xp
    I don't know if this is a good idea, but can't Qubion save the plots closest to spawn and delete the rest of the world. I know, people will be upset that their builds, they were working on are gone, but if that's the best for Qubion. I don't see a problem.

If however the chunk bug is fixable without deleting parts of the maps, but it takes a little longer. Then, I'm a proponent of that idea.
  4. LegendaryAlex Gold

XP:
    100,041xp
    Wouldnt the whole qubion community quit?
  5. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    We would never want to delete the plot of thousands of people without giving them a chance to save their work. This would hurt us as well and it would be simply a shame to see so much work of so many people be deleted.

We are confident that we can fix the issue, it will just take a little bit of time due to limited development resources and the issues I explained in the post above. Clearing the worlds would be a very very last option, there are more viable solutions if we really can't get the issue resolved which involve around guarding the area with a plugin such as WG to disallow anyone from entering a large area around the corrupted chunk. Even this is already a very far-sought solution that we are not anticipating on implementing as of now.
  6. FungoRSS Regular Member

XP:
    7,754xp
    great work guys, keep going!!!
  7. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    UPDATE 11/06/2017 23:59 CEST:
    Qubion is currently open to the public again. We have revoked access to the BigPlot world from all of the regular members to prevent the server from crashing. Once we get the issues in the BigPlot world resolved, this access will be restored. Once again, your plots are safe in the BigPlot world. For the time being, only the SmallPlot world is available.
    DutchBartje and LegendaryAlex like this.
  8. DutchBartje Emerald

XP:
    653,204xp
    Does this also mean ranking up to Centurion+ is temporarily unavailable? If you have a 100x100 or a 250x250 plot in the making.
  9. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    Correct, because there is no access to BigPlots you can't rank up to Centurion using a bigplot. However, any 100x100 plot will do so if someone is desperate for Centurion, by normal policies, a 100x100 plot in the SmallPlot world (merged plots) will also be acceptable.
    DutchBartje likes this.
  10. Inimici Regular Member

XP:
    1,033xp
    Why cant I connect? Im trying to log in through the shotbow server but it doesnt allow me?
  11. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    The server has crashed a few hours ago. We have already let Shotbow know about this, but it might take some time before they can reboot it.

UPDATE: Qubion should be back online!
    DutchBartje likes this.
  12. Flaming_toast Regular Member

XP:
    20xp
    It's still not letting me join in, am I using the wrong version, or is it down again? (If I am using wrong version of the game, what is it?)

EDIT: Also 1.8.9 keeps showing up an error when I try to get into Qubion.
  13. MrHatless Regular Member

XP:
    11,453xp
    im also having trouble joinging qubion... is it just that 1.9 qubion isnt out yet or what?

It says VadactB 1.9 is currently offline...
  14. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    Qubion crashed pretty much instantly after it was brought up again, and it is down again. And correct, any 1.8 version would do when it is running. Sadly I am not able to reboot the server.
  15. MrHatless Regular Member

XP:
    11,453xp
    Thanks for the info. Another Question:

How big is a small plot? wasnt it 64x64?
    (dont know where else i should post such questions)
  16. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    A smallplot is 35x35, a bigplot is 250x250. As for questions, you can just create a new thread for any questions so that threads stay on-topic.
  17. MrHatless Regular Member

XP:
    11,453xp
    Thanks a lot! :)
  18. Flaming_toast Regular Member

XP:
    20xp
    What is the ETA of when Qubion will be back up?
  19. McJeffr Qubion Lead Admin

XP:
    111,687xp
    I have updated the FAQ to display the correct info again, please read it through:

When will Qubion open again?
    We are not sure yet. We will release more information on that once we know it.