1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Team colours colourblind mode

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by SkeletonXF238, May 28, 2018.

Suggestion - Team colours colourblind mode
  1. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I always attempt to join Yellow or Blue in Anni because although my red green color vision is fairly good I am not always able to instantly identify a Red/Green player, particularly from further distances on a smallish screen. When that identification is team/enemy things don't always go so well :stuck_out_tongue: A less common form of colour blindness is Blue-Yellow.

I suggest an option added to the preferences book that tweaks the team colours.

I believe the current team colours shown in the sidebar and on armour are as listed as format codes on minecraft.gamepedia

5555FF Blue
    FFFF55 Yellow
    55FF55 Green
    FF5555 Red
    AA00AA Current Phase

I assume that the 16 colours on there are the only ones available for you to use.
    How about something like this?

55FFFF (Aqua) Blue
    FFFF55 Yellow
    55FF55 Green
    FF55FF (Purple) Red
    AA00AA (White) Current Phase

2. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    What about colorblind resource shader packs such as Alvoria's? As I'm sure you're aware Minecraft is second in total sales only to Tetris and there's tons of accessibility resources to get you situated. I am unaware if these shader packs change the color of text, but I'm sure there's something you could do about this.

The amount of accessibility options that the developers here at Shotbow might need to implement would undoubtedly be minimal, maybe adding options for switching phase text (bossbar) and nexus text (scoreboard) to several colorblind modes could be added.

What type of colorblindness do you have? Tritanopia?
    Diamond_Hunter49 and Hingey like this.
  3. SkyeZ Gold

XP:
    503,377xp

True, I could see how this could be a huge problem for people who suffer from colorblindness and want to enjoy annihilation, awesome idea
    Nikogab22, Ktrompfl and Hingey like this.
  4. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Red-Green. I should probably have made that more clear

It's mainly the colored usernames above players and coloured leather / team color hat that I have any problems with. I'm completely fine with the chat text.
  5. hiddenbun Retired Staff

XP:
    569xp
    this should be hella easy to put in, you could put an option in /preferences that just changes those colors. should be a quick fix
  6. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    It does have the team's beginning letter in front of their name, right?
  7. Mohawk2 Mini Builder

XP:
    529,466xp
    I really don't see why not, this should be relatively easy to add and would definitely help color-blind users.
  8. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    There is, but colorblind users shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because they need an extra second to identify threats.
    Diamond_Hunter49 likes this.
  9. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    For any screen size, zoom level and distance in game there is a point when the letter is too pixelated to read. I would probably need a huge 4K screen playing on Quake Pro to have a chance at actually reading those on players not standing near me.
  10. 323465963 Retired Staff

XP:
    130,346xp
    I've got a very mild form of colorblindness called deuteranopia, which has made it slightly hard to distinguish nexus beacon colors, especially when I didn't have a compass. There was one time where I ended up rushing my own nexus :lmao:

I think improving the quality of colorblind would be more beneficial than people realize. 1 in 10 males, and 1 in 200 females have some form of colorblindness, but the vast majority don't even realize they have it.

Your color scheme does address deuteranopia, the most common form of colorblindness. But if you want a set of colors that would cover even more forms, I'd suggest checking out iWantHue. A lot of academic research organizations use this when trying to come up with colors for graphs or other figures in scientific publications.

[IMG]

Here's an exmaple of a 4-color pallette. The colors here are:

#b94b75
    #72ac5c
    #7f64b9
    #bb7438

This set of 4 colors have been optimized to be the most distinct from one another, while accounting for protanopia, deuteranopia, and tritanopia. I'd suggest just playing around with the site itself to see what other color palettes can be made, since they also need to be aesthetically appealing to all players.

Thank you for taking the time to address this issue.
    Navarr, Hingey, windex_07 and 3 others like this.