1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Shotbow 2016 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HighlifeTTU, Jan 29, 2016.

Shotbow 2016 Roadmap | Page 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remedialrob Silver

XP:
    65,469xp
    In the beginning my group really enjoyed MineZ2. But the grind was too much. We all had houses and formed a little neighborhood and enjoyed going to the more dangerous areas of the map... but this is what put us off.

If I have to spend hours of my life traveling to get string for carpet I won't play your game. The inability to stack string was crippling. All the grind for house resources was bad... but that fucking string was the worst.

But what really got us to stop playing was the server hoppers. I was fine being challenged by someone on the map coming after me and my friends. Especially if we were trying to complete an event in one of the northern towns. But to be in the middle of the event and suddenly have six, completely kitted out people just appear in front of us with little more than a moment's warning.... It took all the fun out of the game for us. Even if we managed to get kitted up these gank squads would appear and ruin all our hours of work. After awhile it felt futile to even try. There has to be a more severe penalty levied against players server hopping with the intention of surprising people. Especially since they were invisible for some time after they logged in. It was a real nightmare and it's why we migrated elsewhere.

We still come back and play Annihilation from time to time. A couple of the guys got put off by how busy the log in process is now. You choose Annihilation where you get sent to another realm where you choose your game mode and server and then team... and so on. It's not complicated... it's just busy. Before it was simple. You picked a game that was accepting players. You chose a team and voted on a map. And I know that's still how classic Anni still works... but you've got to go through some steps to get to classic Anni now. And it's made some of my friends less inclined to play it. The occasional class bug (like that necromancer one where the guy was basically unkillable because of how much regen he got from kills) wasn't helpful either. You play a game for an hour or so and when the end comes it happens because a guy is using a class that has a bug or imbalance... I'd say it would be great if the team was a little more responsive to something like that and can quickly pull a class that's causing problems. I know often developers can sometimes look at their users as testers and forget that they are spending their free time to play... and when that time is consumed by a bug or an unfair or unjust loss it can cause frustration.

Lastly I want to say that I've always respected the desire of Shotbow to create and support only games they control the code to. But I think if you started adding in some games that are very popular across the entire Minecraft server community a lot of us would appreciate it. Sky Wars and Egg Wars for example are so much fun and a lot of people really enjoy playing them and they seem to be on a lot of servers. It's just a suggestion. But if the goal is to get players to come to Shotbow and stay at Shotbow and try out your proprietary games offering them the ability to play games they already love would be a step in the right direction.

I got to Shotbow via CivCraft and I've donated a little bit (things are tight and have been for a long time which is why I value MC servers and their communities so highly) and I've spent a ton of time here playing games for years now and I've always been really happy and grateful to you guys for what you do. I tend do play a lot with my little nephew and niece and they and their friends spend most of their time on your competitors. Which has exposed me to a lot of great games on great servers. I just wish I could drag them to Shotbow so they could eventually experience some of your more complex (and somewhat more mature from a gameplay perspective) games but right now I can't give them a reason to come here. They all want to play that pixel drawing game, or the one where you model something and everyone rates it, or egg wars or sky wars (with lucky block variations). I feel like if you had something that they already like I could get them to play and spend time here. And that ultimately in my experience Shotbow provides better support and a better community experience and that's what makes it the superior server. But if the games they want to play aren't here...

It really comes down to the YouTubers. These kids are obsessed with certain YouTubers and those guys make or break certain games. But I doubt there's much you can do about that. Like I said it's just a suggestion.
    Sevy13, a2A209_, Edog987 and 3 others like this.

2. drewko09 Platinum

XP:
    216,380xp
    cant wait for goldrush
    zyong, sunlost and Andrew_64_MC like this.
  3. __J___ Platinum

XP:
    11,713xp
    You know that was all massively nerfed right? String stacks, wool is only 4 string, and cost of rooms is 1/4th of the old prices. Armor is also nerfed with only two tiers. I always liked the grind of it to be honest, adds something do do besides the "gear, die, repeat" feel of M1, but well, maybe I'm a bit mental. Won't go any further here and will wait for the M2 specific forum post with plans to avoid hijacking the general update thread.
    Sam_F_, Kelestami and RichRamp like this.
  4. squallythewally Obsidian

XP:
    122,962xp
  5. DutchSurvivor Obsidian

XP:
    726,831xp
    What about my beloved Annihilation? :3

Ps: It's good seeing that things are going to change!
  6. MacWasPvp Platinum

XP:
    206,412xp
    Only on US***
    Sorry, it was a big detail you forgot to mention so I thought I'd just help you out there. :wink:

But seriously, it's an easy fix. Just take the US code and run it on EU. Hurr-durr. You can't even start a game ;-;

EDITTTTTT: Nevermind. It's all good now but it diiiiid kinda take a few weeks to get it running. It would be nice if you guys updated EU equally next time. :)
  7. spolendina Emerald

XP:
    175,586xp

mac just mugged off highlife 2k16 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    MacWasPvp and Smartz_ like this.
  8. Smartzz Emerald

XP:
    194,786xp
    I might have peed a bit when I heard about the minez 2 updates...
  9. remedialrob Silver

XP:
    65,469xp

We were pretty early adopters of MZ2 and the changes came so slowly that by the time they did we had already moved on to a TechnodeFirmaCraft server. I don't know a ton about Minecraft Server development but it was my understanding that changing a recipe like the carpet was just a quick edit of a YML file so it was frustrating that it went on for so long. Ultimately though it was only one thing that pushed us away and when we were grinding the string together it wasn't that bad because we were in Teamspeak together and so the social element of playing was there to let us talk and BS while we were doing it. I loved traveling all over the map and exploring the amazing builds but because of how dangerous the game is to play alone we were limited to playing when we were all on together which was a little frustrating but the #1 thing that made us not want to play was the gank squads. After awhile it just felt like we were investing our time in feeding server hoppers.

And all of that was just one of the things that led us to spend more time off Shotbow and at other places. Which was what I was trying to convey. Not one single issue but a group of issues. Thanks for letting me know about the nerf though. Nice house!
  10. antcat Regular Member

XP:
    355,554xp
    Please bring back hcf we all know how successful the game lets face it, it died but i feel like it deserves another chance ;D
  11. GeneralWaffle64 Obsidian

XP:
    617,533xp
    You think Ghostcraft is one of those games? One of the original 4 games of the Network, was "never meant to be supported long term"? -_-

Well, to be fair, that's what was said about Last Man Standing, which was also one of the original 4 games of Shotbow.... The staff failed with that, so why trust them with Ghostcraft, a game just as old and unique as LMS, now?
  12. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp

You seem to have missed the word "either" in this sentence. It falls under the category "needs to have some serious time with a developer", not "never meant to be supported long term."
  13. GeneralWaffle64 Obsidian

XP:
    617,533xp
    What about the rest of the paragraph though? I love that Ghostcraft is finally getting some fixing up, but here, Highlife just said he's going to plop it on the same level as games like Flappy Chick, or Hidden In Plain Sight. That's completely dismissive of such a fascinating, old-fashioned Shotbow game.
  14. Superbob1000 Retired Staff

XP:
    87,366xp
    Recently, GhostCraft has had zero people half the time. The game was breaking, no one played, glitches were everywhere when it was brought to 1.8, and more. We put it in the garage because it needs to get worked on.
  15. GeneralWaffle64 Obsidian

XP:
    617,533xp
    I believe you misunderstood what I said. I'm glad it's being given treatment (finally, it's been busted for at least a year and a half). What I'm saying is, to cast it aside when it finally comes back, to throw it in the "rejects" server with games that were failures from the beginning, like Flappy Chick and HIPS, is ridiculous.
  16. Arasai Platinum

XP:
    246,754xp
    MineZ 2 was never a problem, the game was incredible. the reason it failed was due to the lack of attention and updates, not because it was too "grindy". Its fine how it is, just maybe real updates, bug fixes, and attention to it. Thats whats missing.
    blaueszebra likes this.
  17. mkads80 Platinum

XP:
    102,843xp
    Would it ever be possible to give slaughter an update? It's good right now, but it could be even better.
  18. BeastyClaws Regular Member

XP:
    14,721xp
    At this point, nothing can beat Annihilation right now.

In fact, I think that the only thing that comes to a person's mind about Shotbow is annihilation. I tried other game modes too, like Slaughter. Slaughter was actually fun, but it kinda lacks content. And yes, MTA has took over the #2 spot from MineZ, and it's pretty much gonna stay there, unless MineZ gets another super big update (2 more years, I guess.)

The top priority should be Annihilation, because it's the only one keeping the server alive (700 player average on Anni, that's over 50% than the average player count in Shotbow)
  19. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    THANK YOU!
    My faith in you guys is being restored, step by step, little by little, cleanup by cleanup.
    THANK YOU, for admitting where we have gone wrong and for making plans to make things right.
    THANK YOU, for telling us what you've been up to and what you're planning to do over the course of this next year.
    THANK YOU, for hanging in there even when everything seemed against us.

LONG LIVE SHOTBOW!
    KoenigApfel and Fluffoon like this.
  20. Superbob1000 Retired Staff

XP:
    87,366xp
    There's a difference where Ghostcraft is going as you can see here: http://prntscr.com/9x2t3c

It didn't go with Flappychick or HIPS. It went to the garage with When in Rogue, Assault, and Wasted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.