1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Preventing the Connection of Legacy Minecraft Accounts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Navarr, Apr 10, 2019.

Preventing the Connection of Legacy Minecraft Accounts
  1. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    One of the largest problems for any Minecraft service is modified clients. Its one of the largest threats to a happy and productive playerbase and one of the biggest drains of resources in both development time (having to deal with anti-cheating measures) and staff time (patrolling & banning).

For a long time now, the people who stoop to these levels have also trafficked in sold or otherwise stolen accounts, typically called "penny alts." The vast majority of such accounts remain unmigrated, legacy Minecraft accounts.

Much like our VPN blocking, we've decided to take action and will be preventing the connection of legacy Minecraft accounts to our network starting no earlier than April 17th. At that point, all legacy Minecraft accounts will be unable to connect.

If for some reason you have not taken the time to secure and migrate your Minecraft account to a full-on Mojang account, please do so in the next couple days.

We are eager to push this change live and are optimistic that it will help us fight off cheaters.

Questions & Answers

Does this mean all unmigrated accounts will be banned?

Not as such, no. Unmigrated accounts will be unable to connect to Shotbow. Once such an account has migrated, it will be able to connect again. No ban appeal will be necessary.
    Ivandagiant, Mistri, Fluffoon and 8 others like this.

2. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    Does this mean the VPN blocker will be taken down? I see no reason for shotbow to have it, being you don't IP ban(or so you say) so that would mean the use of a VPN wouldn't be necessary for penny alts in the first place.
    Ozwald_0_sly likes this.
  3. soto Platinum

XP:
    1,536,055xp
    best decision shotbow made ever since anni 1.0
    Tobi472 likes this.
  4. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    No, we'll be keeping both.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
  5. adidasrulle Platinum

XP:
    146,463xp
    erm from what I know, this won't solve the issue of penny alts. While some of these alts are legacy accounts, tons and tons of them are not, so the issue of penny alts isn't fully solved, thus a vpn is still needed.
  6. Red_bb Regular Member

XP:
    39,935xp
    Yeah, I know what you are saying but at least, it will be rather than before. Of course it cannot prevent every penny alts perfectly but would have efficient effect on preventing some of penny alts so that the game could be cleaner.
  7. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    This only kills off penny alts that are only partial access(access to the password and knows the email but can't access it). Anyone with full access to a penny alt(access to the email and password) can migrate it and be completely unaffected.

If this is to counter cheaters/hackers, I recommend reexamining the ruling on bans being circumvented by alt accounts(aka IP Bans). Might be worth a rethink(especially as it encourages hackers and cheaters to just get another account if they get banned). I personally think IP Bans are well worth a think about because why would you want hackers to just use multiple accounts as if they are recreational nuclear weapons
    Fluffoon likes this.
  8. Tozzu Platinum

XP:
    46,535xp
    They already do IP ban
  9. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Not foolproof but a valid start. Good on ya.
    Ivandagiant and Fluffoon like this.
  10. ShayminPlays Emerald

XP:
    220,411xp
    Yes, YES, YES! I've been waiting for this for AGES!
    Fluffoon likes this.
  11. Tozzu Platinum

XP:
    46,535xp
    Oh, this isnt what you think it is.
  12. zoomninja3000 Regular Member

XP:
    51,087xp
    How do I tell if I have a legacy account?
  13. Hezusowo Emerald

XP:
    867,226xp
  14. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    If you log in to Minecraft using a username (instead of an email) you're using a legacy account

Meme_MC likes this.
  15. xGale Regular Member

XP:
    12,194xp
    Penny alts are not the same as Legacy accounts. Legacy Accounts are accounts which are not yet migrated to Mojang. These accounts typically cost $1 - 1.50. Even so people do not log in with the legacy account, they will create a email and migrate it. It takes like 5 mins. And if somebody has the intention of blatant hacking (and not just using alts for storage or closet cheating) they will simply purchase NFAs or SFAs which cost literally pennys. In fact that is what most people use to cheat, you can buy hundreds of non-full access accounts for a few dollars. Yes, both Non-Full Access and Semi-Full Access are fully migrated. The difference is, is with NFAs you can not change the Name, Email, Password, or Skin. With SFAs you can usually change the Name, Skin, and Password. Just not the email.
    Fluffoon, cokc and SlayStyle_ like this.
  16. silverbackconnor Regular Member

XP:
    219,692xp
    I really hope you guys that this does not work. There is no such thing as an unmigrated penny alt. That would just be an unmigrated full access. Lol. This will do nothing in stopping penny alts.
  17. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
  18. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    This is one of multiple tools in our chest for preventing repetitive cheaters.

We are aware that it is not the end all be all. It is one tool.

Mistri and Fluffoon like this.
  19. Hezusowo Emerald

XP:
    867,226xp
    this is what the staff team spends their precious time on Lol
  20. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    The staff spend their time on their paying jobs. Get real.
    111kittycat111, Mistri and Fluffoon like this.