1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion perhaps flint and steel is a bit op

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by daimonddigger, Dec 29, 2013.

Suggestion - perhaps flint and steel is a bit op | Page 4
?

Do you think flint and steel is op?

yes 36 vote(s) 55.4%
no 29 vote(s) 44.6%
  1. _Satann Gold

XP:
    31,763xp
    Fire flower is very hard to be accurate with, if you're playing with a good opponent. Jetpacks are infinitely more OP than them.
    This statement contradicts itself. If an item were good, it wouldn't be so OP that you had say so far away from it.

If you got it, you wouldn't be ridiculing the idea of an all-powerful lawnmower, which, in essence, is no more ridiculous than your all-powerful god. If someone had enough time, he could make a bible praising a lawnmower, too.

2. ChillCruz Regular Member

XP:
    4,655xp
    By stay away from it, I mean stay away from whom ever has acquired one, as it is a very good strategy to dodge that nasty rocket.
  3. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp

No, that is horrible logic, just because a game is based off a game with flaws does not mean the game needs to copy the flaws of the original. AT ALL.
  4. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I can't comment well on the rocket because I only play on EU, the fireflower however is not very different except for two things, it's a tiny projectile that aiming is ridiculously hard to do on a moving and kiting opponent, whereas the rocket launcher is bigger last time I checked, secondly, the fireflower has 5 shots. It is not easy to dodge all five but it is possible, just like dodging the RL is theoretically possible too.

There is simply no counter play like that for Jetpacks. That makes Jetpacks far less balanced and far more overpowered, nearly every other item (except RL) has way more counterplay to it:

The golden axe is easily avoided, the swords likewise, the food can simply be compensated for with more damage, the ender eye can be exploited by grabbing the opponent as they can't grab safely with it, the pressure plate can be very easily avoided and the poison 2 pots are also very obvious and kitable.
  5. Braiti Platinum

XP:
    87,241xp
    Come on I'm even annoyed at how people are able to float back but everyone gets to use it, so I don't find it unfair :stuck_out_tongue:
  6. shebbear2 Platinum

XP:
    120,289xp
    flint and steel is the only overpowered item, with the exception of the (currently broken) rocket launcher
  7. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Everyone can lag fly, and those that lag fly better are laggier in general so hardly have an advantage, if the JP is 'balanced' because everyone can get it then SMASH becomes a game of luck, not skill.
  8. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Has the idea of an all-powerful landmower captured the hearts of a third of all people on earth?

I didn't think so.

"Someone had enough time"... ? Many, many people wrote the bible over the course of millenia.

You, clearly, didn't do your research on Christianity before deciding to mock it.

By the way, Satan burns in a lake of fire for eternity when all is said and done. Burn.
  9. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    There was a time when a lot of people believed they could fall off the Earth or that the Earth was the center of the universe. I'm sorry but the number of people believing something doesn't make it any truer or false.

Whether something is true(r) or false(r) is judged by actually listening to the source. Now, given that it's quite established that the person joking about the 'lawnmower' didn't believe in it themselves, versus the writers of the Bible being the very ones spreading it and trying to live out their lives to God, with a (quite a) few exceptions such as every time someone tried to do something ungodly in God's name (*cough* crusades *cough*), it's still quite clear that praising a lawnmover that someone is joking about is very different to praising a fully documented God, written by people seriously, regardless if people believe in God themselves.
  10. _Satann Gold

XP:
    31,763xp
    *Calls religion an idea*
    Thanks for doing the work for me.
    KillaTrix likes this.
  11. Mr_Obscure_Man Platinum

XP:
    83,145xp
    Back to the original post why do we want the jetpack removed its an advantage to be used to beat others think about it other gamemodes reflect a similar concept
    Minez Iron armor
    Annihalation better gear
    Smash jet packs or any item
    Its about getting the upper hand but you need skill with it an unskilled player with a jetpack will just take longer to kill and a skilled player well their skilled its just more time alive
    Its not the item itself its mostly those using it
    A reason used was long smash matches I personally enjoy those if someone could provide legitimate reason for its removal I would enjoy hearing it as far some of the only ones stated being a players ability to outlast others however jetpacks only have so many uses they can probably come from only 2 far throws then their done its just outlasting their jetpack with your skill
  12. KillaTrix Gold

XP:
    51,977xp
    VERY big difference.
    In mineZ, you need to work VERY VERY hard to be able to get iron armour (or be extremely lucky and kill a full iron in one of the spawn towns.)
    Same goes for annihilation. it takes time to get good items.
    In smash it really docent.
  13. Mr_Obscure_Man Platinum

XP:
    83,145xp

True true but then again look at the time range for smash very small in comparison to Minez or Annihalation
  14. KillaTrix Gold

XP:
    51,977xp
    it docent change the fact that its strongly unbalanced.
    SkeletonXF238 likes this.
  15. Mr_Obscure_Man Platinum

XP:
    83,145xp

What about a cooldown time per use (1+ seconds) so that they cant be spammed
  16. KillaTrix Gold

XP:
    51,977xp
    waste of an item.
    its better off having a generally smaller durability, or just it being removed entirely.
  17. Mr_Obscure_Man Platinum

XP:
    83,145xp

Id take the reduced durability jetpacks save lives
  18. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Try looking at other pages and you'll see loads of reasons, here's another one building off yours.
    In Minez, iron armour is the end game, the best option and does not disadvantage you in any way, in Anni, same for Diamond. In Smash, jetpacks stagnate the game. They are a horribly double edged sword, you become almost impossible to kill AND you become almost incapable of grabbing players, making you a difficult to kill, low damage dealing (JP's half punch dmg) player that can't get kills themselves (in other words it's just like camping).

When just one player gets a JP the game can still finish easily enough if the non JP players still get kills, when both players have a JP in a 1v1 the game doesn't end unless one of them is insanely stupid. I don't see that problem in Minez or Anni.

The JP is like extra lives, it isn't like Iron armour that actually gives you kill potential or like str 2 pots that end out games, the JP does the opposite.

Jetpacks are only capable of saving lives, or flying up to make amazing off terrain plays. You can't do either with a cooldown on use, you can still do both with a durability nerf but can't exploit the '1-2 uses each time knocked off' that happens now.
  19. Mrcomputer1 Platinum

XP:
    293,622xp
    i have voted and there is no thread space the only limit is the limit of the web server!
    and i posted that because i really really really really like jetpacks and really do not want them removed
  20. Vaporizer Platinum

XP:
    91,742xp
    I think the jetpack got a nerf, albeit a very small one. The number of uses went from 13 to 11.