1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Other Monthlyish Smash Tournaments!

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by SkeletonXF238, Mar 22, 2015.

Other - Monthlyish Smash Tournaments!
?

Can you play smash easily ping wise on EU or US?

EU 29 vote(s) 46.8%
US 22 vote(s) 35.5%
Both 11 vote(s) 17.7%
  1. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp

Smash Tournaments every calendar month hosted by Skeletonxf with help from AsiatusxX
    Running since April 2014 and now stopped for exams on March 2015
    These have ceased to be monthly but I may still run the occasional one - probably not more than around once a year now.

Thanks everyone who showed up and made these things happen. I really couldn't have done it without you and although for me they're been quite a time sink with editing and uploading time, in fact I probably am going to have to leave the winter videos WIP forever, but I have enjoyed them and bringing the community together I think has really helped. Ranked is so much more a thing now than it was when I started and I no longer need a tournament to have a chance at playing competitively - it's available up most of the evenings and some of the afternoons each week now. It's so strange to think that a ~year ago I literally could only play a competitive game of smash once a month in my own tournament and we've really built back up as a community. The forums perhaps will never be as active as they once were but this generation of players seem much more focused on skype and in game chat than forum. It kinda isolates our regions, I don't really know any US players anyone where as I used to chat to them on the forums a lot but hey, it's what we have and having something is better than not. I'd like to carry on with the tournaments in the future though probably not with quite as high a frequency as this last year. I'd get kinda worried when I announce a tournament time and no one or maybe 1 person say they'll come; I never know if you've seen the thread or not but it seems even so you are around and often a lot of people just there at the time are very willing to join in - even if they know they have near no chance of winning.

Thanks.

[IMG]

If you're looking to play just show up on the day and await instructions on who to play. I will post a link to the website page managing who plays who is applicable and if anything happens that means we can't communicate on the smash server, like an unexpected server restart, go open up the shotbow chat on the website so we can regroup ourselves.

GENERAL:
    [IMG]

I am hosting monthly smash tournaments on EU (because I can't play or host on US because of my ping) every weekend afternoon once per month (UTC+1 time).

We'll play tournament games on EU unranked (usually EU2) every month for around an hour and you'll be able to follow the victors and matches on a challonge link or other relevant link, such as these ones from past tournaments. For small numbers of people Round Robbin format was usually used but we also branched into Double or Single Elimination as well as pure Free For All (FFA) as well. Now FFA format has been adjusted and tweaks continue.

RR past games 1 2 3
    SE past game 1
    DE past game 1
    FFA past game 1 2
    FFA 2.0 template 1

I can't stream due to my internet speeds, so managing the tournaments shall be done over the in game chat and if that fails for some reason like a server crash use the Shotbow chat as a backup, to make sure we can all communicate even if the smash lobby restarts or closes.
    However I do record each Tournament and intend to release a video with commentary on games and results for each soon(TM) after hosting the tournament.

I cannot offer anything to the winners of each tournament, so you'll have to be satisfied with just joining in and the recognition from playing. You also have a leader board table to look at with you on it for nearly eternity.

MATCH RULES:

[IMG]

You are totally free to use any item that spawns and to play using any mechanics you like, this includes bow flying, any number of tricks with the throw and smash pound abilities, double jump lag jumps and other tricks unlisted and does technically include camping and stalling. (Lots of items are tweaked chances or removed from the spawn set).

HOWEVER: You will be permanently disqualified from all present and future tournaments if caught item hiding.

All tournaments were 1v1 unless otherwise stated back when this was the only format
    1v1 Rules:

You gain a maximum of 3 points for winning a match
    You gain 1 point for losing a match
    You gain 2 points for a match that is interrupted by a server restart if we are unable to rerun the game with the lives each player previously had and use that instead

JetPacks and Rocket Launchers will not be something you are likely to be able to use, as most games (of any mode in current use) will not include them. Any party games we play in will remove the JetPacks and Rocket Launchers via the party custom game item selection, so don't expect to find JetPacks or Rocket Launchers. Although their use is heavily discouraged because they stall games unnecessarily, you will not be punished for using them if they do spawn (though you will struggle to find them in the first place).

Ties in points will be decided by giving victory to the person that said on this thread that they would show up and if that doesn't resolve the tie we'll run a sudden death (see below).

(used for most Tournaments now but replaced with FFA 2.0 for future tournaments)
    FFA format:
    All players play for points managed on a spreadsheet which will be viewable as the tournament runs. A previous FFA tournament can be seen here:

We will join a party game and run repeated matches with the map depending on the number of players we have. Item chances will also be tweaked.

Ruins 1-5
    Fortress 6
    Fortsponge 7-8
    White Chapel 9-12
    Beatbox 13-51

With regards to two people ending up on the same number of points we'll run a sudden death match on Temple with all items disabled. The winner will then gain 0.5 bonus points (to stop them creating a new sudden death in the case of a 10-9-9 split).

FFA 2.0 format:

All players play for points as in FFA but later matches are weighted more heavily and thus prevent the final games being largely negligible due to existing point differences. Maps are also handled differently to produce more variety - users will be allowed to nominate a 6+ person map each and we will try to include each nominated map once. After that I will personally pick maps depending on party size and such.

A template version for FFA 2.0 can be seen here. Note that while both Skeletonxf and 'another person' both went 1st once, 2nd once and 3rd once 'another person' gained more points overall due to winning in the later games. This makes the later games count more and hopefully will break up inevitability when someone has a point lead.

Default Item Chances for each match type can be seen here

If a player forfeits or leaves then the other players who haven't played them gain 2 points for the matches unless the player who leaves did not play anyone in which case everyone gains 1 point for the matches. This applies only to Challonge formats. FFA format is more flexible and no bonus points need to be awarded on there so will not be given.

If you return after forfeiting then you will not be allowed back in unless the format is FFA or FFA 2.0 (otherwise it's too hard to add you back in). If you must leave but will come back then make sure your account stays logged into the server; I will not forfeit players who are still logged in if I can help it.

Because it's easier to manage the tournament by removing annoying items like the Jetpack and Rocket Launcher as an option completely you'll be very lucky to see either item in game for as long as our players have party passes.

There's no penalty for using them if they spawn

[IMG]

The player with the most points overall wins the tournament. This should always coincide with who wins the most.

SCREENSHOT THE GAME AS PROOF OF LIFE ADVANTAGE JUST BEFORE A SERVER RESTART
    You shouldn't need proof but if there's any disagreements I need evidence

Pics or it didn't happen is the only way I can be fair to all players. Hopefully we'll never have anyone lie about the results of a match, and if they do they will be disqualified, but if we do have that problem then I need evidence to know you're right and they're lying.

Past tournament winners and relevant challonge pages and videos held in memory over here

TOURNEY SETUP & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:

[IMG]

Show up on the day promptly at the specified time. No need to sign up.
    However you will be rewarded for saying you'll be attending (see below)

If you want your matches to be as fair and impartial as possible (videos or he wasn't hacking) or just want to help out me with promo material then download a free video recorder, such as bbflashback or open broadcaster software. With bbflashback you can just send me the fbr file rather than exporting. If you have any difficulty getting setup to record I'll help you with it, just ask. (More info on this section planned for a later date)

Join EU Smash Unranked 2 unless told otherwise (do look around in case we're on a different EU unranked server)

Join a few mins before the start time of the tournament, which I will make clear on this thread with some advanced notice.

TOURNEY MATCHING:

[IMG]

As said before, the tourney format may vary. I will instruct you on the game to join in the Smash server or the Shotbow chat if the server chat fails as to who you need to play and then you will join the match on the decided map by me and play a game with your opponent(s). I will be darting around different tournament matches and there will be several matches being played simultaneously so screenshot and video evidence of anything and everything is needed because there is no guarantee I will see it.

If anyone is willing and able to host a stream for the tournament or just help me host the tournaments then I would be very grateful. Thanks to KillaTrix for streaming a tournament.

[IMG]

You don't need to sign up to play, it's just for approximating numbers and setting a time for the event that suits as many people as possible. However you will be rewarded for saying you'll be attending.

FFA: 3 bonus points
    [IMG]

1v1: You'll win any ties on someone who didn't sign up

Please do say if you intend to come to each tourney and do mention if a certain time means you can't join. I want to get as many people involved as possible and I can flex the times of the tournaments to accommodate. I picked 2pm my time on Saturday as a default because no one was saying what times worked better for them, the tournaments can be flexible around the weekend.

SUMMARY:

[IMG]

You don't need to sign up to play but you'll be rewarded for doing so
    Proof or it didn't happen

JetPacks and Rocket Launchers are usually disabled but there is no penalty for not disabling them if you're the party owner and there is no penalty for using them or any other item in game.

Join EU Smash Unranked 2 but do check if we're on a different EU unranked server
    Play your matches with your opponent when I tell you (FFA mode we all play each match)
    It's a 1v1 format when not stated (most initial past tournaments)
    These 1v1s were in Round Robbin format unless otherwise stated
    Tournaments now typically run in FFA 2.0 format
    I'll post a challong/relevant link to inform you of the matchups and results, there are linked examples at the top of this post
    Ask questions if you're unsure

2. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Tournament dates and things

[IMG]

Tournaments are not currently running but here is the log of past tournaments. Further down on the winner's section is each Tournament's info.

Format: YYYY/MM/DD : HH:MM (24 hour time UTC+0)
    2015/3/22 – Tournament system and post made
    2015/Something/Something : Something/Something – Next tournament subject to signup numbers and popularity

April Tournament 1
    2015/4/11 : 15:00 to 16:00 UTC+0
    UK Time was in Day light savings: 16:00 to 17:00
    Convert to your timezone with http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU April Smash Tourney 1&iso=20150411T15&p1=:&ah=1

May Tournament 2
    2015/5/30 : 13:00 14:00 UTC to 14:00 15:10 UTC
    UK time was in Day light savings 15:00 to 16:10
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU May Smash Tourney&iso=20150530T14&p1=136&ah=1

June Tournament 3
    2015/6/13: 13:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
    UK time was in Day light savings 14:00 to 15:00 (GMT/UTC+1)
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Smash EU Tourney 3 June&iso=20150613T14&p1=136&ah=1

July Tournament 4 (INDEPENDENCE DAY)
    2015/7/4: 13:00 UTC to 14:10 UTC
    UK time was in Day light savings 14:00 to 15:10 (GMT/UTC+1)
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash July Tourney&iso=20150704T14&p1=136&ah=1

August Tournament 5
    2015/8/8: 14:00 UTC to 15:30 UTC
    UK time was in Day light savings 15:00 to 16:30 (GMT/UTC+1)
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Smash EU Tourney 5 August&iso=20150808T14&p1=299&ah=1

Sep Tournament 6
    2015/9/19: 13:00 UTC to 14:00 UTC
    UK time was in Day light savings 14:00 to 15:00 (GMT/UTC+1)
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash Sep Tourney&iso=20150919T13&p1=1440&ah=1

Oct Tournament 7
    2015/10/25: 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC
    UK time was in UTC 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Smash EU October Tourney&iso=20151025T17&p1=136&ah=1

Oct Tournament 8
    2015/10/29: 16:00 UTC to 17:00 UTC
    UK time was in UTC 16:00 UTC to 17:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with:http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash Oct Tourney 2.1&iso=20151029T16&p1=:&ah=1

'Nov' Tournament 9 - Start of Hanukka
    2015/12/06: 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC
    UK time was in UTC 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash 'Nov' Hanukkah Starts Tourney&iso=20151206T17&p1=136&ah=1

Dec Tournament 10
    2015/12/30: 15:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC
    UK time was in UTC 15:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash Dec Tourney&iso=20151230T16&p1=:&ah=1

Jan Tournament 11
    2016/01/16: 15:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=EU Smash Jan Tourney&iso=20160116T15&p1=:&ah=1

March Final Tournament For Ages 12
    2015/03/05: 15:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC
    Convert to your timezone with: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Last for ages Smash EU Tournament #12&iso=20160305T15&p1=136&ah=1

Footer here for editing reasons
    okometabetoku likes this.
  3. Deadspeck Mini Builder

XP:
    122,129xp
    what's the reward??
  4. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Being recognised in the community? I'd like to give out a proper reward but I don't have the money for it.
    Edit: And now we have

[IMG]

Winners of Monthlyish Smash Tournaments

http://bit.ly/SmashTournamentWinners

AsiatusxX - 5 Wins
    4 July - Bracket - Video
    5 Aug - Bracket - Video
    6 Sep - Bracket - Video
    11 Jan - Bracket - Video
    12 March - Bracket - Video

SteveNightmare/_BrightDarkness_ - 3 wins
    7 - Oct - Bracket - Video
    8 - Oct - Bracket - Video WIP
    9 - 'Nov' - Bracket - Stream - Video WIP

Skeletonxf - 2 Wins
    1 April - Bracket - Video
    3 June - Bracket - Video

BeniSpielt - 1 Win
    2 May - Bracket - Video

WhatAMen - 1 Win
    10 Dec - Bracket - Video
  5. FallingDutchman Jr. Developer

XP:
    197,839xp
    FallingDutchman

[REDACTED]
    okometabetoku and SkeletonXF238 like this.
  6. BachOfAvon Regular Member

XP:
    12,207xp
    Good luck.
  7. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Finally a tournament on EU ^^
  8. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    No one has stated a preferred time so if you continue not to I'll just choose a time myself and go for that.

ITEMS

Here is the edited Item Editor setup you will be playing with in various match modes

Free For All will use this setup for item chances (if this doesn't happen and 'disabled' items still spawn you are totally free to use them regardless and will not be penalised for it.

[IMG]

For reference the default is
    [IMG]

Any 1v1 format
    [IMG]

The differences from default are

FFA:
    Regen Map item OFF
    RL OFF
    JP OFF
    Ender Eye OFF
    Bow OFF
    Grappling Hook OFF
    Smasher OFF
    All food OFF
    Frag Grenade up 6 to 12 (from 6)
    Singularity Grenade up 5 to 10 (from 5)

1v1:
    JP OFF
    RL OFF

Sudden Death (may be used for tie break in FFA)
    Everything OFF
  9. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Most likely weekend. Like saturday evening would be great.
  10. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Guess I'll go for early evening time then, and hopefully anyone living in the US who can play ping wise will still be able to get a decent amount of sleep to be awake for the tourney.
  11. Moiste Regular Member

XP:
    9,567xp
    Nice. It's a lot of work though. Codepear and I barely managed it (it was actually a disaster).
  12. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Shebbear managed them well, and I won't have even 1/5th as many people turning up to organise as Shebbear did.
    Also by starting off with them monthly I will have time to manage them around everything else.

I've edited the second post to include the first tourney details.
  13. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Well,
    don't be too hard on yourself.
    It was actually quite a bit my fault for not turning up as one of your monitors (though I did suggest you get a backup :stuck_out_tongue:).

Dunno if I can play -- my ping is usually in the 300s. Of course I'd like to, though.
    Great to see the community if not taking matters into their own hands, at least taking initiative.

And (off-topic side note)...
    I guess I finally won that JP debate of so long ago... :lmao:
  14. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I've made more complaints about JPs before I've ever seen you on the forums than you've probably made in total.
    It's not a debate, it's people that use jetpacks to avoid losing as fast versus people who want good gameplay for the game as a whole.

Normally I'd recommend people not playing if their ping is going to be high but seeing as the turnout will probably be really low I guess please do come and play so we have some people :stuck_out_tongue:
  15. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    I don't want this to turn into another debate, I was just saying it seems you've changed your mind (you used to want JPs removed). And really, my post count...? Your insults aren't what they used to be :stuck_out_tongue:
    But at any rate, let's end this off-topic side conversation here and now.

Okay, then, I'll play :)
    Minecraft IGN: Sam_F_Saved2Save
    Times on Saturday: 9:15 to 15:45 (9:15a to 3:45p) UTC+0. Possibly earlier, no later. No guarantees, either -- I need to eat sometime in there.
  16. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I do want Jet Packs removed. I simply allow them to still be used in these tourneys, with heavy penalties, because it would be extremely unfair if someone used them not realising and had their win completely voided.

Okay, you might not be able to make the ending of the tourney then, but I'll try to make sure it runs as quickly as possible to get everyone finished.
  17. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Im not there at saturday evening But i May be able to take part if its happening around Afternoon. Also i want to know how the tournament System works like . So if 16 Players would be signed up everyone will play everyone and u can get a Maximum amount of 45 points? Or Do u lose if u lose a match and only if u win everything u will be the last man standing?
  18. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Everyone who turns up will play everyone and each player would be able to get a maximum of 3*number of games points. If somehow loads of people turn up then that would take too long and I'd go for elimination with last man standing instead, but I doubt there's going to be that good of a turnout.
  19. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    So u can compare it to a league System like the Barclays Premier League instead of the Champions League ( Bad examples But i guess u know what i mean)
    Another thing: Are the maps we will play on random or is it always the Same one?
  20. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I will choose 4 player maps from a rota of maps on which killing the other player is always feasible no matter where on the map they are. Again, this will be to prevent camping and to make sure games end.