1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion May - State of SMASH Post

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by svdragster, May 3, 2016.

Discussion - May - State of SMASH Post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    Like mentioned in the 2016 Roadmap for Shotbow, we are going to ask you to give us feedback for our active gamemodes every month. Below will be a list of currently known critical issues, as well as new features that we want to introduce toSMASH in the near future.

It's true, almost nothing happened during April, at least not from your point of view. We had a big host move, which affected all of our systems. We have also continued to work on the 1.9 version for a lot of our games. We know we are far behind (we are probably one of the last servers to update to 1.9) and we are working hard to update everything. Keep in mind that the games and plugins are quite old and had to be updated between many many different minecraft versions which makes everything more complicated than just creating a plugin based on a certain minecraft version.
    Because of the US host move not all of our infrastructure to properly online again which makes it hard to make any live changes to the games at the moment.

Additionally, I'm writing my last school tests ever for the (hopefully) rest of my life - yay. I've already got 2 of 5 tests, however it's still going to take up quite a lot of my time. I'm going to try and finally get some changes done, but I can't promise anything at this point.

Here is the link to last month's discussion thread, instead of copy-pasting the stuff over here again: https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/april-state-of-smash-post.343555/#post-2757628
    Feel free to post more bugs or suggestions below and discuss anything you'd like regarding SMASH.

One question that I've got: What do you think about 'boosting' in SMASH Ranked? What do you think we can do against it - to scare players away from 'boosting'?

This thread will be opened until around May 10th, make sure to put your feedback down below if you want your voice to be heard! We look forward to receiving your feedback and discussions and appreciate the time you take to help us improve our games here on Shotbow. Currently we are busy with updating to 1.9, so please be patient while I continuously bug the developers about stuff.
    Sam_F_, DrachenCube, RichRamp and 2 others like this.

2. Haichao Platinum

XP:
    360,442xp

Boosting completely ruins the competitive integrity of smash and if convincing evidence exists that someone did it they should be permanently banned.
    OneTupacArmy likes this.
  3. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    While I agree that it ruins ranked, we are not going to ban anyone permanently for their first offense on the network (except modified client, obviously).
  4. Haichao Platinum

XP:
    360,442xp

I can to some extent understand and tolerate people that grief me (e.g. steal my potions) or swear at me as these actions are to some extent involuntary and can happen quickly without much thought put into them but elo boosting (or any other form off boosting) requires one or even multiple people to put both time and thought into it, making it a well calculated offense.
    For me the first few weeks this Season where extremely frustrating with all the teaming, dodging and alting. I think it is not too far fetched to say that these people caused me as much annoyance as a hacker would and you would permanently ban a hacker.
    OneTupacArmy and RichRamp like this.
  5. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Boosting is something that needs to be punished to some extend, otherwise the people who are "boosting" dont really give a shit about any kind of warnings.
    Technically its a rule that has been broken by the act of boosting and as every single other rule it should have consequences.
    The fact that so many people who are doing this have alternative accounts make it nearly impossible to get rid of those people but easy to get rid of single accounts. Someone, his main account has been banned from the network, appeared within a couple days with at least 10 different accounts from illegal websites and so on.
    Since ELO boosting is really easy to perfrom if you have another player to do it, it needs some sort of "high" punishment to prevent players from doing it. People do care about their main account or Accounts with high ELO, since it takes time and effort to reach a certain amount of points, however the only way to make people stop breaking that rule is by banning them. Not necessarily permanently, but at least for 30 or 90 days. Why would anyone care about a message in chat saying: "Please do not ELO boost, it is against our rules!" ?
    OneTupacArmy and RichRamp like this.
  6. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    - My first 50/60 was boosted by sirtrisha and thomas_dorland so maybe you can reset my elo or so and add a broadcast message with someting like "Boosting in ranked isn't allowed" or something like that.

- Axyy
  7. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Stop players boosting by better design.

Players are only going to boost in so far as they want elo and leaderboard positions rather than to play well. The easiest way is to penalise repeated match quitting by giving elo to whoever actually wins the match the booster left so boosters will struggle to match with each other as if they don't get put in the same game they would both have to play theirs unaided or quit. By having an elo penalty for repeated quitting (first two times within an hour should imo be unpunished as this can easily happen for legitimate reasons, but have scaling elo losses from further repeated quitting within an hour of the last quitted game) boosters find that boosting isn't so effective at getting elo anymore or that they have to avoid queueing or boosting for an hour after quitting two games which means again boosting seems far less appealing.
    Haichao likes this.
  8. GalacticaGX Obsidian

XP:
    1,378,170xp
    That shouldn't sound conceited but last Season Players like Asia doesn't even play active so either way Steve, Steven and me would be Top 3. So we're still good compitivie players, we just wanted some new colors. I didn't boosted my elo this season cause i know that players like asia, stefan_petsch and izotop were playing ranked and than i don't deserve a high place.
    It doesn't take this much time. I would have boost steve to 1401+ Elo within a few minutes...

Currently it doesn't looks like that boosting is a problem, cause no one is playing ranked since weeks
    AxyyIX likes this.
  9. Hangar_Straight Silver

XP:
    77,466xp
    Boosting should be punished with good evidence, perma ban or temp ban (3 months maybe) it's at your choice, but as Asiatus said there should be some kind of punishment since people dont really care at warnings.

But yeah almost noone plays Ranked now... there should be a bump so people get to it again. I guess adding a dodge system, or making a small bugfix, then encouraging players to get back to Smash (probs an Announcement post and changing the subtitle to "Smash update" in the server selection would do something) might help it.
    AxyyIX likes this.
  10. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    3 monthss??!! lol
  11. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    The place and elo you deserve is the elo you can get by playing fairly. No more and no less.
  12. Hangar_Straight Silver

XP:
    77,466xp
    Haichao already explained it xd. Although im not sure about perma ban, he nailed it xd:
    SkeletonXF238 and AxyyIX like this.
  13. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    :eek: :lmao:
    OneTupacArmy likes this.
  14. 100PercentHippo Retired Staff

XP:
    336,223xp
    In regards to boosting, I think that ranked should feel competitive, which in my mind means making boosting, teaming, and the such punishable. I think a good punishment, instead of a straight ban, would be not allowing that person to play ranked for a certain amount of time. This would allow the person to still play and enjoy smash, but without affecting the ranked community.

If you make an adjustment to the rules, I would also suggest you make it be displayed in a player's chat when they join a ranked queue, so everyone is sure to know the new rules.
  15. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    Sometimes it is not possible to double jump, you have to get damage before you can double jump.
  16. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    Isn't that the cooldown after smashing (crouching mid-air)?
  17. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    Nope, just if I join a game or so..
  18. svdragster Retired Staff

XP:
    490,876xp
    Then I'm going to need more details about the bug (e.g. recreation steps) or else we won't be able to find the reason as to why this happens.
    AxyyIX likes this.
  19. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    Oh okay, If I have some more info about it. I contact you asap. :D
  20. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    That goes along with the glitch where you fall into the void without dying and getting 24% damage per tick. Some players are affected others are not. But when you cant double jump the "not dying" issue appears at the same time, thats all i know. About recreation steps: As far as i know this issue appears randomly, probably once an hour, but i dont know any ways to trigger the glitch.
    Sam_F_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.