1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Lobby as a map

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by SkeletonXF238, Jan 19, 2017.

Discussion - Lobby as a map
  1. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    "Apart from that, we got suggested to turn the current old lobby into a playable map after it has been replaced. What are your thoughts on that?"

OMG Yes. However the old lobby would surely need some modifications for it to play well.

This is a screenshot of the center of the lobby I can see on the beta server, to me it looks like some halloweeen reskin but it has the same shape as the old lobby so it will do for my demonstration.
    [IMG]

Fighting around this central ranked pillar with no changes to the map would literally never end because 1) it's surrounded by walls on all sides and more importantly 2) these walls are vertically above the center. This drop would soon become a pit and more or less ensures that anyone trying to stay here will stay here because punching people upwards out of things is near impossible. To remedy this the walls at the end behind all the setup game signs and the accompanying walls at 90 degrees to those two need to be removed to leave the arena as a floor with some things on it rather than a box. The roof should also probably be removed as otherwise it would look out of place.

[IMG]
    Here is the other main area of the lobby

Again this would be a never ending fight if someone wanted to stay here in safety. The walls need to be removed and again presumably the roof or people will never leave this place.

However taking out so much of the terrain could leave the lobby looking very different. And alternative to simply removing the walls would be to push them away from the floor permiter by about 15 or 20 blocks leaving the walls floating in mid air with a 15 - 20 block air gap and then the floor in its current position.

Kinda like this at the end furthest away from the ranked signs.

[IMG]

I think this would remove the walls from effective gameplay, because punching someone into them means they're sent into a wall that has no floor so they will just fall to their death anyway but keep the visual of them there to retain the feel of the old lobby.

Thoughts?

2. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    Nice suggestion! What are your ideas of the rest of the lobby such as the downstairs library and explanation room?
    SkeletonXF238 and Sherlock_Ikers like this.
  3. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Those areas are even more walled up by their nature of being very much secret places and hidden away.

I suppose my idea of floating the walls could still be applied and help with the downstairs areas but perhaps also the downstairs areas could be floated 10 or so blocks below the main upstairs areas (with the usual way to get to them left as a staircase that connects the two). This would mean there's plenty of air in the gap between as well.

This is a really rough plan based off memory of what the downstairs areas look like so it might need quite a bit of tweaking but I think it gets the general idea across. I don't really know what could be done with that tower though, maybe it wouldn't need much adjustment anyway with it being so small.

[IMG]
  4. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    That's an option indeed. Alternatively we could try to add some kind of 'ruins' effect, with crumbled walls to give it a more natural look
    ACrispyTortilla likes this.
  5. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I am concerned that ruins effects will not solve the issue of overly-safe areas due to walls. Certainly if it can be made to work it would be far less deviant from the original lobby so is probably more ideal in that sense. In my experience of games in places like BeatBox and Research Lab battles even if half of the wall is broken if it is broken mostly randomly with missing blocks in places the wall still acts as a very effective camping area regardless. I think if you are going to go for the ruin look you should try to make the nearly all the gaps at least 3 x 2 or 3 x 3 blocks in size so that it is possible to send players through the walls without there always being at least one block in the wall to stop one's motion otherwise out of the arena.

BeatBox can just about get away with so many walls because they are made of glass and the map is small enough to mean they usually break a lot. Research Lab and this if it becomes a map is simply too large to rely on the walls breaking any more than their starting design to allow for gameplay to progress because there would be too much map to break and not enough time.
  6. Dinohoot8 Platinum

XP:
    484,663xp
    Even though I don't play Smash usually, this seems like a rad idea. Great idea!
  7. Hollow_Leg Platinum

XP:
    259,108xp
    Anyone know if the signs got fixed?
    I've been wanting to play Smash for a while
  8. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    On 1.7/1.8, the signs get manually fixed by admins. Yet, admins cannot be on 24/7. On 1.9, all signs are fine.
    ACrispyTortilla likes this.
  9. Hollow_Leg Platinum

XP:
    259,108xp
    Cool, thanks