1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Gun Game January Patch: Feedback

Discussion in 'Gun Game' started by Robertthegoat, Jan 30, 2016.

Discussion - Gun Game January Patch: Feedback
?

Should we Bring Back the Endless Match Cycle?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2016.
Yes! 12 vote(s) 92.3%
Nah 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yes, but... (comments added in reply) 1 vote(s) 7.7%
  1. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Now that The Gun Game January Patch is LIVE,
    What do you Guys Think?

Preface
    If you haven't had the chance to play the brand new Gun Game update, give it a try! The biggest update for Gun Game since its creation, this update adds brand new content, such as new guns and power-ups! Once you've played a few rounds, perhaps you'd like to tell us what you think? I know we'd all like to hear!

Posting Format
    - Something you really like about Gun Game
    - Something you might miss from the old Gun Game (e.g. endless match cycle)
    - New power-up/feature suggestions
    - If you're new, what (if anything) was confusing/unclear when you joined the game?

Final Notes
    Any bugs you come across should be reported via Report a Bug under "Shotbow in General" in the forums.

Please keep your comments restricted to this format. Discussion is OK, but it must be kept on the topic of Gun Game, or else your comment may be removed.

For clarity on the poll question, the Endless Match Cycle refers to old Gun Game's endless looping through each map. That is, until everyone quits a match, the server will keep looping through the maps, one after the other, after each match is won.

Thanks!

2. Superbob1000 Retired Staff

XP:
    87,366xp
    Yo! I love seeing GunGame up and at it again. Such a fun game! I'm gonna follow your format for the following:

-I really like how fast-paced it is. Gives you plenty of action. I also like the difference between each gun. You have to use a lot of them differently then the others and it brings a new aspect to the game.

-I think bringing back Endless Matches would be cool so that's pretty much it.

-Hmm.... A couple more guns would be nice. If I'm not mistaken it is 18 guns but 20 guns would make it a bit more even numbered. I think the power-ups should be better depending on THEIR type of gun. That could get interesting. :heart:

-When I first played, nothing really. Really fast paced and easy to learn! :D

So in all GunGame is a great game!! I love playing it. :D I wish it wasn't 1.8 but that isn't a major issue. :wink:

Great job! :)
  3. Jore_ Silver

XP:
    5,533xp
    Sick that there's new guns, but bring back wasted :'(
    Honestly is cool to see so many players on a wasted gamemode again.
    Please, just don't let this die now. You've been successful in reviving it, so let it live!
    xoxo
    OneTupacArmy likes this.
  4. sunlost Retired Staff

XP:
    217,843xp
    It's being fixed, not removed, don't worry. Read the Shotbow 2016 Roadmap for more information.
  5. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    - The pace of the game, really makes it a challenge to keep up with some of the better players.
    - The endless match cycle is all I miss.
    - Some type of single shot rocket launcher secondary would be cool. After you fire it it disappears from your inventory (as a power up). Also, some type of free-for-all where you can chose your gun where everyone has the same gun would be cool, people could vote for what weapons they want and then a round with only one type of gun would happen or something like that.
  6. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    Team Death Match?
    OneTupacArmy likes this.
  7. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    Yea something like that, except through gun-game so players don't get dispersed over a bunch of servers.
    BrassBuilder likes this.
  8. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    Perhaps Wasted: Arcade, gun game and team death match. Coming soon to shotbow.
    OneTupacArmy and DiezelTheo like this.
  9. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    I have spoke of Wasted Arcade before: Smash configurability, jet packs, mechs, gun restrictions, special winning conditions, special maps... my dreams :lmao:
  10. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    MECH FIGHT MINIGAME HECK YEAH
    KoenigApfel and RichRamp like this.
  11. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    GabeN I beg.
  12. Rechoke Silver

XP:
    30,364xp
    Something like leaderboards at the end of the match would be neat to have.
    DiezelTheo likes this.
  13. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    if you look at the scoreboard all the kills should be there.
  14. Rechoke Silver

XP:
    30,364xp
    I know about the scoreboard, but it only shows your kills, I meant something like it shows the game for all players. The amount power-ups the player took, How many headshots they made. something like that rather than just kills. which appears after the game is finished
    DiezelTheo and BrassBuilder like this.
  15. boogaert Emerald

XP:
    84,545xp
    Speed 2 makes things waaaay to chaotic and makes it more of a game of running around and spraying than actually aiming. I think it should be toned down to speed 1 or preferably nothing.
  16. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    I'm open to the possibility of changing the default speed, but we have tested the environment with various speeds (slower), and the game pace made it go stale fast. Speed gets people to their destination faster, so there's less traveling and more shooting.
  17. KoenigApfel Regular Member

XP:
    94,770xp
    I like that it is fast-paced but with the recent changes it feels really chaotic. (It maybe because the short break it was taken off that I feel like that but it seems now to be even faster than it was until December?)

Speed Level would also be nice to be activated optionally.
    I love the idea of a smash inspired game settings menu :0
  18. boogaert Emerald

XP:
    84,545xp
    None of the maps are even big though. The speed makes there no real point in aiming, people can just sprint around spraying and praying.
    ThgilFoDrol likes this.
  19. ThgilFoDrol Platinum

XP:
    80,523xp
    I noticed the same thing- the speed doesn't allow for accurate aiming, only spraying. This issue is compounded by the high chance of headshots (66.186% of the 12486 total kills from experimental data). By increasing the movement speed of players in conjunction with having a high headshot rate, it becomes more viable to move and shoot as much as possible to, in turn, increase bullet dispersion as much as possible. This is because, statistically, you'll be less likely to get hit while maximizing your chances of landing a hit (and likely obtain a headshot too). Additionally, since people are moving so quickly, it becomes almost a necessity to run and spray, in my opinion.

Using this playstyle, you can game the mechanics- it becomes less of an aim based game but rather dependent on how much you can move and increase bullet spread. Cognizant of this, I was able to achieve a k/d ratio of 1.406 (388/276), which ranks within the top 20% of the data pool. This strategy results in a disproportionate success rate in the game compared to effort, since it is very easy to wiggle your cursor side to side but harder to maintain accurate, focused fire while evading enemy gunfire.

Here is the thread where I document the statistical outcomes of everything in GunGame.

Here is the direct link to a pastebin dump of the data with detailed breakdowns by both gun and player. Usernames are hashed with SHA-1 and represented as hex strings to anonymize the identities of each player.
    323465963, Cahillguy and KoenigApfel like this.