1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Free XP For Newcomers

Discussion in 'The Network' started by ExpertDash, Feb 6, 2014.

Suggestion - Free XP For Newcomers | Page 10
?

Do you like this idea?

Yes! 443 vote(s) 90.2%
No. (Please state why in the comments section) 48 vote(s) 9.8%
  1. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    They have no obligation to reply.

2. 323465963 Retired Staff

XP:
    130,346xp
    It doesn't really affect the discussion, rather that the older participants in this convo may not want to receive notifications. Some may be happy to participate in the discussion again, other's may not; the pros and cons essentially counteract eachother. So, yeah, if you need to, you can quote a few; just don't quote each and every person :lmao:
  3. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    ? Quoting someone versus not quoting them and commenting without still gives them a notification?
  4. 323465963 Retired Staff

XP:
    130,346xp
    I think so. If people no longer watch a thread, they'll only receive notifications from it if they are quoted
  5. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    How many people do you really think unwatch threads?
  6. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Pretty sure there's an automatic unwatch mechanism after you don't reply to things for a while; there are some threads I watched, forgot to check back on, and stopped receiving notifications on
    But that's kinda besides the point...

I'd be fine, actually, with heightening the amount of free XP back to 10k or even higher; it's not that much.
  7. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I've received plenty of notifications about threads I've never replied to for months.

I'm aware sometimes notifications from a particular thread just stop, but this has always been quite random and buggy feeling to me.
  8. KittensZ Platinum

XP:
    34,426xp
    There are three kinds of thread notifications, reply, like and quote.

QUOTE: You will recieve an alert every time one of your posts is correctly quoted (using "reply")
    LIKE: You will recieve an alert every time one of your posts is "liked"
    REPLY: You will recieve ONE alert per thread the first time someone replies to a thread that you are watching (usually you watch a thread by commenting on it) you do not recieve further alerts until you visit the thread again. Once you visit the thread (the most recent post needs to be viewed) you will recieve another alert the next time someone responds to the thread. This process continues forever.
    SkeletonXF238 likes this.
  9. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Yeah, so if someone just replies without quoting you and you don't open the thread, it is effectively unwatched.
  10. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    All of our games are designed to be fun and playable without using xp. Xp always unlocks extra benefits.
  11. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Playing Anni without xp classes before the free rotation was near impossible to do competitively.
    Smash, yes, thankfully, that's why I played it so much when ranked was a thing for EU
    Ghostcraft hell no

'Extra benefits' that are simply stronger options than unlocked classes mean your games aren't competitively playable without the xp supply. Smash and MineZ are possibly the only exceptions.
  12. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    Anni 2.0 rectified that situation.
  13. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Then you must accept Anni 1.0 was not designed to be fun and playable without xp, and nor was Ghostcraft.
  14. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    GhostCraft is fun and playable without xp.
  15. CharlieBrown101 Platinum

XP:
    46,340xp
    This is legitimately a really good idea, I have similar IRL friends without premium who have repeatedly crucified Shotbow because "The grind is real." This would probably help keep them playing for at least the week of 2x XP, giving them a chance to really get hooked on Anni or another gamemode.
  16. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Whoops, I've made a mistake. I mistakingly conflated the two.

Then you must accept Anni 1.0 was not designed to played competitively without xp, and nor was Ghostcraft.
  17. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    GhostCraft was not designed to be played competitively. As far as I know. It also doesn't need xp to be competitive or fun.

Anni 1's original decision regarding classes was clearly a mistake we've already rectified
  18. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Fine for Anni but you're not getting me on Ghostcraft.

I'm not talking about the competition you might expect of an esport or even Anni teams, I'm talking about playing to win.
    That sort of competition, where you may still also be trying to have fun, but fundamentally you want to do everything you can to win each and every game.

If you accept that the starter classes in Ghostcraft are not as strong as the paid for by xp ones, and I think you should accept this if you're played Ghostcraft with people using them, then Ghostcraft cannot be played to win without xp to buy these classes and thus cannot be played competitively without xp.
  19. 323465963 Retired Staff

XP:
    130,346xp
    I usually opt for using soldier and medic classes, as opposed to my flamebow. Sure, the flamebow's great if you've got a ghost who's running at you through a ~1x2x1 hallway, but the lack of armor, the potential to lose hearts due to team damage, and the potential to damage yourself with fire after your fire resistance has left is just not worth it. I'd use it as a ranged class, as opposed to the free archer class any day, however I usually opt for medic, as although it lacks range, it can deal massive amounts of damage up close, and can take quite a beating due to it's numerous splash pots. I don't think there's any other close combat class I'd use aside from soldier or medic, both free classes.
  20. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Aside from health pots, there's not really any way to add to your survivability. Armour on ghostcraft is at best chain pieces and won't add more than a few armour thingies than classes with the most minimal armour, gaining 3 armour thinggies will only be 24% extra damage reduction, which, due to nearly everything in ghostcraft having lots of upfront damage, and the armour being useless against explosions, stab, and potions, will keep you alive for almost no extra time.

The stab ability completely ignores any gains from armour on your kits as well, so class armour gains like the soldier are made mostly irrelevant.

Everyone can lose hearts to team damage, and team damage in my experience comes from explosives more often than swords, so that's irrelevant. The flamebow more importantly is (I'm assuming this video is of the flamebow, been ages since I've been on Ghostcraft) not just high dps but high reliability. Hitting a near invisible target is much, much easier when your projectiles are so wide sidestepping them is very difficult to do and you can hit the ghost with pot shots without even knowing exactly where it is.

The soldier class is decent because of its explosives right? Well the flamebow class has them too. The archer class is useful because of its bow? Well the flamebow class has a better bow that can land hits on the ghost more easily. The medic class can take a beating? This is fair enough, I used the medic class a lot too because of this, but you don't need to take a beating when you can single handedly out dps the ghost from explosives and a flame bow that's quite hard to miss in close range.

Yes, the flame bow has a lack of defensive options, but they're made irrelevant by the high damage of both the class and of the ghost which makes armour mean much much less than it would mean in other game modes.

I never really bothered with Ghostcraft much after the ghost got new unlockable xp abilities, so I can't really know much either way on this, but my argument works even if only one of those is significantly stronger than the free abilities as well.

I'm under no illusions that keeping different asymmetric classes balanced is easy. My point is not that Ghostcraft is so horribly balanced you can't have fun with the other classes, but that xp is required to play to win - which goes back to Navarr's original claim about xp only unlocking 'extra benefits'.
    Sam_F_Saved2Save likes this.