1. At this time we are unable to service emails to Outlook, Hotmail, or other Microsoft-provided email addresses. If you are using one of these providers you will be unable to /register for an account or receive password reset emails.

If your account uses one of these providers, you can use the command /changeemail in game to change to another email account. If you did not receive your registration email, you may acquire it by resetting your password on the website once you have changed to a non-Microsoft email.

2. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Dentril's New Moon June 2018

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mistri, Jun 1, 2018.

Dentril's New Moon June 2018
  1. Mistri Art Team Lead

XP:
    310,664xp
    Letter from the Co-Lead
    A follow-up by Navarr

There’s not a whole lot to say this month - we’re still chugging along on GhostCraft, and I’m doing my best to keep what small marketing engine we have running. One of the tests I ran this month with that was live streaming the Annihilation Tournament games to Facebook (as well as our many other platforms).

While we did not get a lot of live viewers on Facebook, we did get a lot of views and likes on the videos afterwards. While we may not continue live streaming to Facebook (due to cost), it’s very likely I’ll get back in the habit of cross-posting our videos there.

If you haven’t yet, please like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/ShotbowOfficial and several or all of our various games’ pages. We’ll be expanding what games have pages depending on popularity and request.

In the same marketing vein, we also launched our newsletter this month. If you haven’t signed up you can do so at http://j.mp/shotbow-signup. This was very important to us as our previous system for getting out news and information just wasn’t working. If you haven’t yet, please do sign up. As of right now, we’re sticking true to sending an XP code with every newsletter send to the list.

As for transparency - I guess I don’t have much I can say here. I’ve certainly noticed some of our developers reaching out to the playerbase on the forums more often for ideas, comments, concerns and the likes. But as for how we’re doing - I’ll need you to tell me. Please leave a comment on the forums telling us how we’re doing in regards to our goal of more transparency. Please be constructive - if you think we should be more transparent in some way, tell us what that way is.

Thanks for reading, and as always - thank you for flying Shotbow. I leave you now in the capable hands of Mistri.

[IMG]

Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well. For those of you with finals, good luck! I personally just finished mine (hence why the New Moon is a few hours late), so the next few weeks will be dedicated Shotbow time! Please enjoy this month's New Moon.

Updates
    Annihilation Updates
    This month, the Annihilation clan tournament continued, and was livestreamed here:

Statistics
    SMASH Rankings
    The 2018 Spring season is in session, so rack up that ELO quickly before it's over! The current standings are:
    • 1st - _BrightDarkness_ (1183)
    • 2nd - Acstes (1169)
    • 3rd - mattu34 (1153)
    Mine Theft Auto
    MTA Leaderboards for May 2018
    Combat:
    • 1st - Lexio KDR: 214:1 (214.0)
    • 2nd - NoHaxJustMike KDR: 164:1 (164.0)
    • 3rd - Red_Flowers KDR: 334:5 (66.8)
    Arrests:
    • 1st - Lexio Arrests: 53.0
    • 2nd - erai1210 Arrests: 45.0
    • 3rd - Killereilite2 Arrests: 34.0
    Experience Gained:
    • 1st - 8ge Experience gained: 263289.0
    • 2nd - Xx_wankosoba_xX Experience gained: 42950.0
    • 3rd - harucari Experience gained: 42031.0
    Minigames Won:
    • 1st - Portoss Minigames won: 145.0
    • 2nd - harucari Minigames won: 118.0
    • 3rd - Lexio Minigames won: 80.0
    Network in General
    Staff updates:
    • PokeTheEye rejoined the Full Admin team
    • 66tee rejoined the Full Builder team
    • Wayvernia was promoted to GG Lead
    • Marine_PvP was promoted to MineZ Co-Lead
    • ArcticStorm141 joined the Anni team as Mini-Admin
    • Mistri joined the Website Moderator team
    • Camarum joined the Localization team as Slovak Translator
    • Snaaaap joined the Localization team as Portuguese Translator
    Other statistics:
    • A total of 71,891,263 XP was earned by players this month
    • There were 3,284 players banned in the last month
    • This month we achieved a peak playercount of 672 on May 13

What can I do?
    Play on Shotbow, invite your friends, and invite their friends! Make friends and invite them to Shotbow! Spread the word about our amazing games, and in return we'll work as hard as we can to make your experience the best it can possibly be. :)

Developer Corner
    By Navarr

The feedback to last month’s developer corner was pretty good. I’m happy to see that many enjoyed reading up on what exactly it is our developers are doing.

One of the hardest parts of writing this is deciding how much we can or should say about what our developers are doing. For example - when someone is working on anti-cheat type things, we can really only say that we’re improving admin tools, or the game, or something else - and likewise that’s pretty much all I can say when I get a “we’ve fixed a ton of small bugs in x.” I’m doing my best over here.

As always, your reminder that we’re not making promises as to how soon or long it will be until we release anything mentioned here. Developers move about different projects as needed/desired.

That said, we are currently pushing for Gold Rush to hit an Alpha as soon as we possibly can.

Murgatron
    I’ll be honest, I’ve never really considered Murgatron a developer - but he keeps sending me monthly updates, so I guess I’ll talk about what he’s been doing. Let me just look over these notes.. Hmm, yeah.. Can’t really say that out explicitly.. Maybe I can reword it? Ah, yeah, here we go.

This month Murgatron was happy to report that he worked together with the Development Team to help fight back cheaters with the second best tools available to us - technology! Fighting off cheaters is a cat and mouse game that requires constant attention, and Murg and the Development Team were on top of it this past month.

He was also proud to report that he continued working with the team to move Gold Rush forward. He believes we’re very close to an alpha release, which should play well with our internal goal of launching that this summer.

Robertthegoat
    Robert has been spending a lot of his time working on Gold Rush. There’s lots of tweaks, bug fixes, and other things going on here. One exciting thing perhaps is that he’s very focused on ensuring Gold Rush has localization support (at my behest). This is great news, as I have been pushing since its inception for Gold Rush to be one of, if not THE first game on the network fully localized into Japanese. Our expanding localization team is standing by ready to translate - so I can’t wait for that alpha!
    In addition to Gold Rush, Robertthegoat took some time to work on quality of life improvements to GhostCraft. The staff have been getting together and playing it a few times this month and after witnessing some bugs he decided he wanted to round them up and squash them like.. Bugs…

DocCodeSharp
    Doc has spent a great portion of this month focused on internal processes (yes, still - you wouldn’t believe how long some of that type of stuff takes), squashing MineZ bugs and refactoring it’s code for stability purposes, and performing other quality of life improvements related to keeping cheaters off our servers.

skillerfox3
    Skiller has been working on Gold Rush alongside Robertthegoat to fix those bugs and polish that game. He specifically mentioned some quality of life improvements like adding death messages and improving the existing map objectives.

Have I mentioned yet how excited I am for Gold Rush?

Anyway, here's one final thing I'd like to say: no comment from a developer doesn't mean they didn't do anything, it just means that they may not have told us what they did. Anyway, thanks for reading, and see you next month!
    - Navarr

With that, I bid you farewell. I'm your host, Mistri. See you next month!

2. MCDuckler Platinum

XP:
    101,379xp
    I guess I won't ask how he did that...
    Anyways nice post, excited for GR.
    Ktrompfl likes this.
  3. Mohawk2 Regular Member

XP:
    63,767xp
    Glad they kept with their transparency thing. So many people, especially those on the forums are really happy you guys being more transparent. Also, while the top playercount was kinda low this month, I think it was just because of finals (I really do hope.) I think Shotbow is making the right steps to gain more players (unlike a certain popular server that stars with M, that is quickly making decisions to LOSE it's playerbase).
    Mistri likes this.
  4. Tdiaz5 Silver

XP:
    76,236xp
    That does make me wonder, which developers are active at the moment?
  5. Snurkle Platinum

XP:
    116,809xp
    it is great to see that the team is being more transparent. I hope that after gold rush done and ready for release, the focus shifts to all out advertisement for SB. The fastest way for a server to die is to not have a big enough player base. While that isnt true as of now, I forsee it being the case. Anyways, keep up the great work!
    Fluffoon and _Swipe like this.
  6. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    591,502xp
    Wait what? :lmao:
  7. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    591,502xp
    The playerbase is already too small.
  8. _Swipe Platinum

XP:
    16,069xp
    start the propaganda efforts to proselytize the hypixel peasants; shotbow will rise once again1!1
  9. ACringyWeeb Platinum

XP:
    96,417xp
    i come back from the dead to see
  10. LegendaryAlex Gold

XP:
    196,122xp
    mama mia
  11. rangerdanger73 Regular Member

XP:
    235xp

What are you talking about

"This month Murgatron was happy to report that he worked together with the Development Team to help fight back cheaters with the second best tools available to us - technology!"

12. Mistri Art Team Lead

XP:
    310,664xp
    In the past, a majority of our patrolling has been through humans (admins) that ban hackers. This is showing that we're working on things to make it so technology does some of the work, too!
  13. SpaceWarp Emerald

XP:
    108,928xp
    Great Newsletter this week.

General suggestions

Making voting relevant again, increase the reward, get Shotbow on more websites, just make it relevant again.

Transition XP Shop on the website to ingame in order to show people what they can spend their XP on and have them realize it's not just a number (Making it more convenient for the players and following the lead of other large networks that do this.)

Focus of Quality of life improvements such as bugs, accessibility (for colorblind people and others) and ease of access for the average player.

I'm excited to hear about the transparency, and I have some specific suggestions which are organized in the importance I believe they should be implemented in.

1. The Shotbow Network Staff should pick individuals that have no connection whatsoever to the staff, and no allegiances to the network and hold a vote to pick 3 individuals which players can go to privately in order to express concerns about staff, their actions or directions the network is heading. They should publish a "report" occasionally to report on what they have found about any concerns that have come to light. (Suggestion on elections is staggered elections, so every 4(3?) months one member is up for election to ensure that 2/3s of the members are experienced)

2. When a forum post is deleted without any explanation my immediate thought is coverup, I was a victim of this and I can guess who the staff member was that ordered it closed, and have not received a reason why it was closed (If you are the staff member I'm referring to or know why it was closed, I would be very willing to have a sit down in discord or over PM about it). What will the staff team due to ensure that it is justified when it happens?

3. Replying to ban appeals I've talked to several players in the past month who have complained they have submitted multiple appeals that have not even been answered but have been viewed countless times. I suggest that the staff team publish monthly statistics about the bans and appeals such as
    Percentage banned for hacking, spamming, etc
    Percentage of permanent bans
    Total appeals submitted
    Total appeals processed
    Total appeals in which the player was unbanned
    The goal of these statistics is to be anonymous, and I cannot think of any more statistics but if anyone else has some ideas, please reply to my post.

4. You know who I haven't heard from in awhile? HighLifeTTU. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for him to take a role in these changes, or for someone to at least sign his name.

5. We the community always love when a staff member takes interest in our opinions, and I'd love to see the interaction that developers and staff continue and I'd like to thank the staff for the efforts they've made in this. Maybe a thread would be created asking about what gamemode we would be most interested in seeing debut on Shotbow?

Thank you to all the staff for personally making efforts to make Shotbow better, the best thing the staff can do to increase transparency is in the words of Government "When the Government makes its actions available to its people, It gives the government legitimacy."
  14. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    591,502xp
    lol thats what I said :lmao:
  15. Navarr Network Co-Lead

XP:
    632,372xp
    Oh gosh, this post is a doozy.

We have plans around here but they're long term plans, as we need an entirely new reward system to do this and comply with EULA. That said, I've personally never seen much value in these - and neither have many others. That and every other month someone is like "why isn't Shotbow on such and such new voting site - they're the one everyone's looking at!" We'll pursue this once we have that new system in place,

We also have plans around this! We have a lot of changes brewing for XP, in game progress, unlockables, etc. We're not really saying anything because it's changing too often while in the design phase. We hope to say more once we've gotten to a point that we have what we feel is a good direction, and then we'll use the community to really hone it in.

My life's work. As you saw in the Moon Robert is doing QOL for Ghostcraft, Doc is doing QOL for MineZ, and while nobody explicitly said anything it's likely b/c they're always doing QOL for Annihilation. Accessibility is something I'd love to see done but hard to get a good priority for. One of my big ease of access / QOL focuses is the language barrier, which is much bigger for us right now. Fridge has done a terrific job expanding the localization team (with languages other people laugh at us even bothering to bring on), and we hope that in the near future this will allow us to make our games accessible to players that would otherwise struggle with them. Gold Rush might be the first game to have multiple languages at go-live, and I've been pushing for a long time to ensure new work going forward includes support for our localization system. Unfortunately total coverage is still very far out, but I wanted to mention that for a long time we've been trying to improve QOL and ease of access.

No. First of all this is a PR nightmare. Secondly, if it was to be done it would need to be a truly separate body that was unrelated to Shotbow and community ran. Feel free to go for it on your own, and we'll see what happens.

There's no good system currently available to use to ensure every post closing is justified, and nobody will want the overhead of justifying every post they deleted in Discord. If you have concerns of potential abuse, always feel free to send a forum PM with myself and Murgatron as the recipients and I'll take a look at it.

Most appeals are handled very quickly. Some have to be elevated and require attention from a full admin, collection of information from the person that banned them, etc. These appeals take longer. Any compilation of appeals data like you suggest would have to be done manually, and we can't allocate any time towards that with what little we have available to us.

I believe Highlife is pretty focused on his career right now. He continues to manage the business aspects of Shotbow, but has forged essentially a council of elders to run the network: Murgatron (Network Lead), Doc (Development Lead), and myself (Network co-Lead).

I like the concept, but we're not in a position to be taking suggestions for new gamemodes. We're not even in a position to be considering new gamemodes with our current development workforce.

Your reminder that Shotbow is a business, operated like a hobby, and is nothing at all like a government. The authority taken by Shotbow Staff is granted by the ownership of the network to fulfill the wishes of the network owner.

That said, transparency is a focus of mine - and we'll continue our attempts at being open with our players. Right now, Sea of Thieves is my leading example - and I hope we can be as awesome as they are one day.
  16. Jingle535 Gold

XP:
    148,939xp
    Don't play shotbow too much anymore, but I greatly enjoyed reading this post. The developer section is awesome :)

Ps. "There were 3,284 players banned in the last month" … Nice. :)
  17. rangerdanger73 Regular Member

XP:
    235xp
    "This month Murgatron was happy to report that he worked together with the Development Team to help fight back cheaters with the second best tools available to us - technology!"

whats the first best tool available to you guys o.o

pretty sure its all technology, unless one of you ring doorbells and punch the hecc out of people
  18. Navarr Network Co-Lead

XP:
    632,372xp
    The first best tool available to us is our amazing team

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  19. SpaceWarp Emerald

XP:
    108,928xp
    Haha not my best formating, thanks for taking the time to read

Great to hear, haven't seen a lot of focus on voting as it was focused on in the past.

Great to hear, a lot of servers have been really successful making it easy for players to redeem rewards and see why they should continue playing.

Thanks to all the staff currently doing QOL work, should have mentioned something about them in the previous post. Totally agree with you on accessibility and maybe for the time a shoutout could be created to a forum link with some 3rd party accessibility applications for Minecraft.

Realized how stupid of an idea this is, but staff support and access to information would be the easiest way and the only way to make sure transparency exists.

See this is where transparency, becomes a little dicey, there's no public system to ensure a post was fairly closed and makes it easy to shut out criticisms of things that have occurred.

I think that after thinking this over publication of appeals data is maybe the most important thing on the list, and here's another question how would you recommend the people I've talked to get at least a response on their appeal when they have sent 3 or more in and with 20+ views but still have not got a reply?
    Also don't you have a system for filing why people were banned? I can't imagine the way of checking what they were banned for is reading the reason.
    I'd also be happy to set up either a google sheets or excel spread sheet to start filing these stats today.

Great to hear for Highlife, Shotbow shows he's always been good as a projects manager and I hope his career continues to take off.

Understandable, hopefully will be considered down the road.

Didn't make the clearest point here, I meant that more transparency and knowing that shotbow is actively making changes will encourage confidence in the network.

Give me my own pirate ship and Shotbow will be as awesome as they are :)
    Fluffoon likes this.
  20. Murgatron Network Lead

XP:
    834,178xp
    Most staff listed on the wiki are considered active. This means though that they can be on break from time to time for a few weeks at a time however!
    Fluffoon and Mistri like this.