1. At this time we are unable to service emails to Outlook, Hotmail, or other Microsoft-provided email addresses. If you are using one of these providers you will be unable to /register for an account or receive password reset emails.

If your account uses one of these providers, you can use the command /changeemail in game to change to another email account. If you did not receive your registration email, you may acquire it by resetting your password on the website once you have changed to a non-Microsoft email.

2. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Connecting the Players

Discussion in 'The Network' started by Foxbuscus, Aug 27, 2019.

Suggestion - Connecting the Players
  1. Foxbuscus Silver

XP:
    38,407xp
    I read the forums often and I apparently have an unpopular opinion, because I think the MineZ game mode has, for the most part, fixed the skill gap. While the Annihilation skill gap is not perfect, it is nowhere near as bad as it was during 1.9 Shotbow. The few problems I have noticed are all related to a lack of connection between players on the server. For instance, the main difference between Shotbow and bigger servers like Hypixel, besides specific game modes, is the lack of connection between players in game.

In many other "hub servers" there exists a friend system, a party system, and server-wide messaging. Parties allow players to warp to different game modes and play together. Friend systems let you see when your friends are on or were on last and what game they are playing, if any. server-wide messaging makes it so one is not required to use a third party application such as Discord to communicate with your friend who is, after all, on the same server as you. I feel like not having server-wide messaging is absurd to not have with only one foreseeable downside, which I will address later, and way too many improvements to a players quality of life; I am no expert, but I don't believe this would be too hard to code and implement either; if it would, then this of course would not take precedence over improving the individual games.

The aforementioned foreseeable downside is fairly obvious but I feel like it should be mentioned anyway. If Shotbow implements my suggestion or any form of it, it should not be over-done or copied from other server's systems. If you make a simple system (no GUI, just a friend list, /friend add (name) command, /msg to anyone on Shotbow) then you are less likely to be accused of stealing ideas from other servers.

2. walterberryfinn Regular Member

XP:
    84,398xp
    Hey!

Shotbow used to have a friend system. I do not remember it being particularly game-changing. Since Shotbow now has a Discord, it seems like that would be satisfactory... I know other servers have friend systems, but you can just as easily join the voice channel. Perhaps you have a point about the global messaging, but it is important to remember that it is also a network and there are numerous different instances running.

Best,
  3. Foxbuscus Silver

XP:
    38,407xp
    If you have more than one monitor for your computer, just having a discord would be fine; playing with discord open on your other screen. But for the gamers using welfare setups such as I, switching between the two applications is a pain. The global messaging system would also be useful for the new players because it's a standard of sorts for servers nowadays. The general multiplayer community is familiar with it, while they would not always want to join a discord server. Shotbow having a friend system was not game changing. What was game changing was when they REMOVED the friend system because of its bugs. My post is just reminding the staff that some people still remember the little things, and that they matter too.
  4. MuffinMinister Platinum

XP:
    65,346xp
    This is why theres a discord overlay available, you should consider trying this out.
  5. connor564 Platinum

XP:
    29,668xp
    Not everyone has discord downloaded. Many people use chrome or mobile
  6. Foxbuscus Silver

XP:
    38,407xp
    I've tried using the discord overlay and it didn't seem to work 100% of the time. I'd rather not rely on a third party application to conduct myself when there's a perfectly viable system that works better on the game I'm playing.

And for anyone else who tries to say "but discord can do this", apparently it's not clear to you but for every specific way you use discord, there's 100 other ways it's used.
  7. walterberryfinn Regular Member

XP:
    84,398xp

This seems like a bit of a truism... yes, you do not have to use discord, and yes: perhaps there is the means by which to integrate communication in the game.

I would prefer voice to in-game chat most anytime, especially for Annihilation which (last I checked) is our most popular game mode.
  8. Foxbuscus Silver

XP:
    38,407xp
    It's truism but you just said the exact thing that goes against it. There are plenty of people who choose not to use voice chat. If you want to have a discussion, please use more than your personal opinions.