1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Guide Community's free Annihilation Guide

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Fluffoon, Sep 21, 2015.

Guide - Community's free Annihilation Guide
?

Do you find this helpful?

Yes. 24 vote(s) 88.9%
No. 3 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    =-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Content
    1.Introduction
    2.Part I - Basics
    3.Part II - Defending
    4.Part III - Offense
    5.Part IV - Teamwork
    6.Part V - In-game behavior
    7.Part VI - Classes
    8.Credits

=-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Hello,

Originally I started this as a personal project, but as I've been progressing with it I realized it would be awesome if we - yes we as one, not me - get all the useful guides ever done, update them and throw them here. The basic ideas are to share our knowledge about Anni and build one nice, long and detailed guide. This will be both useful for the new players and even for the advanced ones - you never know enough. So if anyone of you have anything useful(guide, video, interesting strategy etc.) and is willing to have it added here, just PM me. I will add the things you've thrown at me every Friday.
    Thanks in advance!

Part I
    Basics of the game
    To start off, you need to know the basics of the early game in order to be successful, so here is some of what you need to know. Annihilation is played on Adventure Mode which means you can't break every block with bare hands, but you have to get to craft a specific tools. Pickaxes to mine ores, and any kind of stone blocks like brickblock, stone, etc. Shovels are for dirt and gravel, shears are for wool, axes for any kind of wooden blocks and swords are used to break melons/leaves/cobwebs. One more important thing - you can't place lava, TNTs and you can't set blocks on fire. Cobblestone blocks are not placeable, but cobblestone slabs, stairs and such are.
    Now let's move on the food. Your primary source of food in Anni is Melons.You'll find melons in every base, including your own, so make sure you stock up. You can only break Melons with your sword, so make sure you're using it to harvest the. Melons, along with every type of ore and wooden logs will regenerate after a set period of time, so even if you see that the melons have been taken, you can always wait a few seconds for more to pop up.
    You will probably wonder if there are arrows in Annihilation. of course there are, but you have to first get flint/string/feathers and to craft them. Every map has gravel pits or gravel roads. By breaking the gravel block with a shovel you get random amount of each material required for the craft of bows and arrows.
    Every base also has a set of mines for resource gathering. These mines are the Iron Mines, Coal Mines, Gold Mines, Redstone Mines, Lapis Mines, and the Emerald Mines. Normally each map has 2x Iron Mines, 2x Coal Mines and one mine for the other ores. However, there can be mixed mines. for example - iron and coal in one mine or emerald and redstone. It all depends on the map's creator choice. Every map has a different layout, and as such the mines will be located in vastly different places, but typically they won't be too far outside of your base. Just like with Melons, after mining an ore, you'll be unable to mine it for a short time after. But, give it a few seconds and you'll be ready to mine again.
    Now you may be asking yourself: "What about Diamonds? Are there Diamonds in Anni too?" I'm glad you asked, allow me to explain.The Middle of the map is where Diamonds spawn. The Middle (or mid as it is typically called) is a hotspot for inter-team battles and often times you'll find yourself in the middle of bow fights. Over the time between when the game starts and when the diamonds spawn, you'll see bases being built by each of the four teams. These bases are integral pieces to the conquest of the Middle, and having one will surely help in your quest for the coveted diamonds. Keep in mind, Diamonds only Spawn in Phase 3 forward, so you cannot get them at the start of the game. Speaking of Phases, that leads me to my next topic.
    There are 5 Phases of each Anni game and each one comes with a different addition as the game progresses. Each phase lasts 10 minute with the exception of phase 5 which can last hours, it depends when the game will end. I'll list them off.
    Phase 1: The game gets started and each Nexus is invincible.
    Phase 2: The Nexii lose their invincibility and are vulnerable to attack.
    Phase 3: Diamonds spawn in the middle of the map.Witches Spawn.
    Phase 4: The Wither spawns.
    Phase 5: Each Nexus will now take double damage.

Part II
    Defending

Building a wall helps a lot, but it won't stop rushes, but rather slow them down enough till your team is prepared to counter them. Having just a wall without at least 2-4 guys staying in the nexus room is pointless. The amount of defenders and the type of wall differ for every map. On some maps like Skylands, Amazon, Castles building a wall is completely needless. Others like Coastal, Andorra or Canyon allow and require a lot of work. Below I will briefly show defense examples on some maps.
    1.Coastal
    Coastal is probably is the best map for building a fancy big wall. But before even starting building, you have destroy some nasty obstacles:
    [IMG]
    These are nice wool deposits as well.

[IMG]
    The house down there provides a lot of hiding spots for rushers to sneak in.
    Making the area around the nexus flat(should be outside the walls though eases the PvP.

Then probably the most important thing is to chop off the bridges.
    [IMG]
    Doing this would prevent probably 80% of the nexus damage you would take in phase 2/3.

If you want more vision and space I recommend modifying the wooden walls like this:
    [IMG]

Now we can move on to the walls. This wall pattern can be used on other maps like Hamlet, Canyon, Villages and to the other maps with nexus placed on the corner.Keep in mind this is just an example. The height and the width of the wall depends on the map.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    These plates are busters for invis guys, so make sure you use them.

2.Canyon
    Again, suitable map for defense builds. It can use the wall pattern used on Coastal. Again you have to remove some obstacles like these:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Like the bridges on Coastal, these tho things should be destroyed/filled to avoid early damage.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Doing ''mini canyon'' around the base or completely isolating the nexus area will be a pain for every rusher.
    [IMG]

3.Hamlet
    Another map with corner-nexus. The wall pattern is the same, keep in mind it should be much, much bigger in width though. Here are some spots the TP rushers use. If you see too many guys coming to your nexus, go check these spots for TP.
    [IMG]
    Almost every game the enemy team will try to set up a portal on the roof of the iron mine.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    These spots are barely used for TPs, but you should be aware of them too.
    [IMG]
    This is the unique part of Hamlet, and probably the annoying one. The solution to it might be putting a guard in front of the trapdoors.

4.Cherokee
    Corner-nexus map, but pretty hard to be defended. Walls can be used, but focusin on staying in the nexus would be better. Be careful, people can go onto the roof, there is small spot behind the nexus allowing sneaky mining.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Fortunately, there is nice spot above the nexus to shoot rushers.
    [IMG]

5.Kingdom
    This time the nexus is on the edge, but not in the corner which means walls are not that effective. Instead using this platform would help.It is suitable for maps like Skylands and Andorra as well.
    [IMG]
    This map requires at least 2 defenders to stay there from phase 2 till the end of the game. The nexus is pretty open and no wall would save it. The thing you could do though, is to flood or completely destroy these bridges.
    [IMG]

One cool feature Kingdom has is the mines' location. They are under the nexus area, connected to each other, so you don't need to risk going far away from base. Example given with one of the iron mines.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Of course, someone needs to dig a short tunnel down and put some ladders, but this is where the teamwork plays a role.
    Keep in mind Kingdom is one of the maps suitable for skybridge rushes.

6.Skylands
    Not going into details here. The name of the map tells you that your team should have bunch or Archers near the nexus. Walls are kinda useless, but you can do a platform like on Kingdom.
    Important thing to do is to tap the small lake in front of the base.

7.Andorra
    Though the nexus is not in the corner, building a wall along the rivercoast might help a bit. Again, the platform pattern is most suitable. The map has towers with bridges similar to the Coastal ones. Destroying them is a priority.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

One nice spot from where you can bowspam nexus miners.
    [IMG]

I'll stop here with the map tips. I know there are more maps, but they don't need that much of details. If you have any tips about them, feel free to comment and I will add them.
    Before jumping to the next part of the guide, I want to add few more things:
    -Defending might be boring and not that rewarding as rushing, but IS REALLY VITAL.Never leave your post, especially after phase 3, no matter how bored you got of defending. Enemy spies/invis might be camping and waiting for that moment. If they have good pickaxe, it would be fatal.
    -Communicating and alarming your teammates when you see invis/strength rushers to come will give time to the defenders.
    -For Spy defending I really recommend ToggleSneak, unless you want your finger holding the shift key hurt.
    -If your team already has a Spy bodyblocking, don't go in front of him - it will unvanish him and decrease his vision.
    -If there is a guy wishing to defend, but he has no good gear - go and find him some spare iron.
    -If your team get the wither boss, while you are defending, get a strength potion to counter rushes. Regeneration one is an option too.
    -If your team is willing to, you can do a tree defense :D. Growing unbreakable trees as a wall for sure annoys the enemy team and there is no way to destroy the wall. Even of they do it, it respawns after seconds.

Part III
    Offense

This will be a ''bit'' shorter.I will go through the ways of rushing down below:
    1.Strength rush - Literally invading the enemies without any doubts. Usually strength rushes are done after phase 4 when the wither boss can be beaten and there are some full dias.
    There are solo rushes(these are often done with regeneration potion and golden apple(shortened:gapple) added to the strength. Solo rushing can be riskier and kinda requiring better gear. There is chance to give your gear to the team you are rushing and do no damage.
    Group rushing is lot safer. 2 to 3 guys to defend the miner who is supposed to have at least efficiency 3/4 golden pickaxe(notice that pickaxes are ordered by speed in that way:Golden>Diamond>Iron>Stone>Wooden). If the rushers don't farm(killing leather again and again while they spawn which no longer gives xp) the enemy team should die quickly.
    2.Invis rush - probably the most used way. If the enemy team don't pay attention or have a defenders in, the nexus slowly and surely will go down. Around 30 gold is need for 3 invis rushes with golden pickaxe, so it takes no efforts at all, just be sure you are using acrobat to avoid fall damage. Be careful when sprinting as that will cause particle effects which are easily traceable.
    3.Skybridge rush - this one is mortal, but it requires a lot of teamwork and cooperation. You need a launcher(it is made of iron pressure plate put on an iron block), 2-4 stack of wood(depends on the map, Skylands for sure requires over 4 stacks.), a transporter(having a TP would allow you to instajump to their base again. When a lot of people use the portal, they can't hold them and probably at least one guy will manage to hit the nexus) and one guy to provide a chest of pickaxes(should be at least stone ones). You want to finish them off quickly because if they conquer the bridge, they can use it against you. Protect the portal and make sure you have a small base with fences to protect you of their archers.Putting fences along both sides of the bridge could prevent a lot of falls.
    Your bridge can be done in two ways:
    -using ladders. This ones requires less efforts, but going up is slowish.
    -using stairs. I recommend this one, pretty quickly walking all the way up.
    Below you can see an example of both skybridge patterns:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Skybridges can be built on every map, the thing is that it works better on maps with open nexuses like Skylands, Kingdom etc.
    4.TP rushes - Find a sneaky spot(mine, tree, tower) and set it up. If it get noticed and used by your team you may be lucky to do some damage. Unfortunately, most of these rushes are easily stopped once the enemies find the portal.
    5.Phase 2 Full Iron Rushes - These are primarily done by clans because it requires a voice communication. As these rushes are rare the enemy won't be prepared and expecting it so if you are quick and organized you may take down a nexus pretty early.
    6.Mine rushes - These one aim to prevent the enemy team getting gold for potions or to steal a bit of iron. They can be quite annoying, especially if it is phase 1 and the mines are not close to base.
    7.Engineer rushes - Can be a sign of an upcoming strength rush. It aims to blow up the walls so your team can easily get in.
    8.Tunnel rushes - Rarely done, but might be effective. The enemy team often can't find from where it comes. Digging a tunnel all the way to the other side might be a pain, though.

Part IV
    Teamwork

Annihilation is based on teamwork, though it is played solely by a lot of players. I really hope a new system stimulating teamwork will be added soon. But let give you some tips.
    1.Share any spare stuff you have with gearless mates.
    2.In phase 1, don't mine more iron than you need, because the mine is crowded and everyone will be trying to gather 30 iron.
    3.Alarm your team when you see incoming rushers.
    4.Don't break the public chest. Seriously, it is quite annoying.
    5.If someone is trying to build a wall, do not hesitate to help him. If you build the wall faster, you will be safer.
    6.If you have builder use it when the game start, get the drop and put in the chest so anyone can start building the wall.
    7.Don't flood the base without a reason. It will cause lag for some players.
    8.Try to put a stable portal to mid before phase 3 so your team can set a control on it. Same is required when phase 4 come and the Wither spawn.
    9.Don't steal iron from public furnaces. It is always better to ask for iron if you need. There will be at least one person to give you.
    10. If a well-geared strength rusher is incoming sacrifice yourself to slow him down while you team is coming to help.
    11. Try to be friendly towards both your allies and enemies. This stimulates them more. Even if you lose, don't blame your team. Take the defeat with an honor, it is just a game.

Part V
    Behavior

Most of you would say this doesn't affect if your team will win or lose, but it actually does. Being polite and helpful (especially if you are a premium player, most of the regulars copy what the premiums say, so be careful. Try to help out new players, in other words be a community guy. Show respect to the others, no matter of their nationality/race and you will be respected. If someone swear at you, don't fire back. They may want to provocate you. Just ignore them, and they will get to the point they are bored of it. Respects your opponents, saying ''ez'', ''rekt'', ''noskillz'' when you kill someone is a pure disrespect. Be graceful when you win and lose. Wishing good luck before the game, and congratulating your team/enemy team when the game ends is really sportsmanlike and will make the other to respect you.

Part VI
    Classes

Here I am not gonna explain what every class do - there is a wiki - but rather offer some tactics.
    1.Acrobat
    -Use it to jump behind enemy's back while having the bow charged. This will inflict a massive amount of damage.
    -You can bypass walls by jumping in the void and getting on the other side. It might be quite tricky, but after few attempts you should be able to do it.
    2.Scout
    -Able to get on towers, escape a fight or move around an enemy quickly.
    -Can bungeejump in the void. It takes time to master it, but it brings a lot of fun. Especially if your team get the Boss Buff, you can get Bungee Boots and take no fall damage
    3.Spy
    -Both defensive and an offensive class. Great for early defense as it is able to easily take down leathers trying to do early damage.
    -Can be used to camp mines and get an easy loot.
    -A little bit of troll - you can stay in their nexus room, hit the nexus once and vanish quickly. Quite funny seeing them buzzing around.
    -Keep in my mind, any of its uses requires a bit of patience.
    4.Engineer
    -You don't like walls? The right class to use. Be sure after few blasts you will be public enemy #1
    -Can be used for rocketing.
    5.Scorpio
    -Void Scorping - It literally deletes their gear. Throw a star at them and jump in the void. Both of you die, but you don't are as long they permanently use gear.
    6.Defender
    -It perfectly counters Scorpio Voids near base. Leave them to scorp you, and teleport to base.
    7.Immobilizer
    -Spamming its active ability can reveal invis. rushers
    -Ultimate strength rush stopper.

The thread will be constantly updated with new parts and especially screenshots so even the players with poor english can get what I am talking about, If you have ideas regarding new sections, or you see a grammar/factual mistake feel free to PM me. I'd be grateful if you help me with screenshots for mines/defenses etc. Hope this helps you.

Credits to:
    Rebel_Born for adding the Basics part and providing screenshots
    roel_LP for adding it to the ''Welcome to Annihilation'' thread.
    DutchSurvivor for providing screenshots.
    Murgatron for allowing me to use parts of his ''Defense Guide''.

2. Meyling Silver

XP:
    55,728xp
    Nice, I really love it! I plan on buying Builder next with my xp and the tips helped me out a lot. Thank you! :)
  3. Kazumii_ Platinum

XP:
    352,440xp
    For the skybridge tip add in that a tinkerer would be useful because of the speed and haste advantage it can give your team.
    UnlimitedPvP_ and Fluff_May_Derp like this.
  4. HonokaKousaka Regular Member

XP:
    55,217xp
    This is almost as good as a dank meme. (That's actually really good.) Great job.
    Fluff_May_Derp and Kazumii_ like this.
  5. Sad Emerald

XP:
    885,564xp
    Fluffoon and HonokaKousaka like this.
  6. DislikeMePlz Regular Member

XP:
    3,935xp
    This will help a lot!! :D
  7. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    Thanks for the notice. Will add this and rest of the maps soonish. Glad you find it helpful :)
  8. Darth_Bachious Retired Staff

XP:
    113,025xp
    This picture is Kingdom, just trying to help improving, (those pics made the post a little bit long)
    Fluffoon and Agredris like this.
  9. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    Oh god, yea. I was writing this around 1am, so yea :lmao:. Thanks, will fix.
    Darth_Bachious likes this.
  10. AdalwolfEis Regular Member

XP:
    13,954xp
    Good job, I appreciate the time and effort put into this guide and how it is a general overview of each section of Annihilation game play.
    Fluff_May_Derp likes this.
  11. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    Thank you :heart: I will keep updating it.
  12. Rikkay Platinum

XP:
    900,695xp
    This will be my main link to show to people who are saying in chat: WHAT IS ANNIHILATION?!1?!!.

Cool guide! :D
    Fluffoon likes this.
  13. roel_LP Retired Staff

XP:
    10,417xp
    Meyling and Fluff_May_Derp like this.
  14. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
  15. Rebel_Vanguard Platinum

XP:
    10,955xp
    Overall, this is a really helpful guide, however I did notice something small was missing. If I may suggest something, one thing that I would suggest to you is adding a "Getting Started" Section. Just to cover the basics of getting into the game. Allow me to add in my own rough draft of such a section.

Getting Started

To start off, you need to know the basics of the early game in order to be successful, so here is some of what you need to know. First off, your primary source of food in Anni is Melons. You'll find melons in every base, including your own, so make sure you stock up. You can only break Melons with your sword, so make sure you're using it to harvest the. Melons, along with every type of ore and wooden logs will regenerate after a set period of time, so even if you see that the melons have been taken, you can always wait a few seconds for more to pop up.

Every base also has a set of mines for resource gathering. These mines are the Iron Mines, Coal Mines, Gold Mines, Redstone Mines, Lapis Mines, and the Emerald Mines. Every map has a different layout, and as such the mines will be located in vastly different places, but typically they won't be too far outside of your base. Just like with Melons, after mining an ore, you'll be unable to mine it for a short time after. But, give it a few seconds and you'll be ready to mine again. Now you may be asking yourself: "What about Diamonds? Are there Diamonds in Anni too?" I'm glad you asked, allow me to explain.

The Middle of the map is where Diamonds spawn. The Middle (or mid as it is typically called) is a hotspot for inter-team battles and often times you'll find yourself in the middle of bow fights. Over the time between when the game starts and when the diamonds spawn, you'll see bases being built by each of the four teams. These bases are integral pieces to the conquest of the Middle, and having one will surely help in your quest for the coveted diamonds. Keep in mind, Diamonds only Spawn in Phase 3 forward, so you cannot get them at the start of the game. Speaking of Phases, that leads me to my next topic.

There are 5 Phases of each Anni game and each one comes with a different addition as the game progresses. I'll list them off.

Phase 1: The game gets started and each Nexus is invincible.

Phase 2: The Nexii lose their invincibility and are vulnerable to attack.

Phase 3: Diamonds spawn in the middle of the map. Witches spawn.

Phase 4: The Wither spawns. (I screwed up, Witches spawn in Phase 3, not 4)

Phase 5: Each Nexus will now take double damage.

(End)

No doubt I missed a lot, but this is just the idea I was going for. I'm sure you mentioned some of this stuff above and I just glossed over it. Anyway, that's my only suggestion. Great guide!
    Kazumii_ and Fluff_May_Derp like this.
  16. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    Thanks, definitely will take some screenshots to make it clearer and add it.
    One request: If anyone of you have screenshots of a decent defense on Amazon/Castles and any mid base, I will be grateful if you post them here so I can add them as examples.
  17. xcw Silver

XP:
    18,175xp
    Few typos because you were writing this at 1AM, but an awesome guide nonetheless. :D
    Fluffoon likes this.
  18. Snowmanfat Regular Member

XP:
    33,263xp
    I wish my team would have 2-4 guys standing in the nexus room rather then have people build fairly useless defenses

Seriously in the amount of time it takes to build these assassins, inv rushers have already broken your nexus a good amount

Str rushers find ways into the most elaborate defenses and they are almost useless in stopping sky bridges

but nice guide
    Fluffoon likes this.
  19. Deadtoad5 Platinum

XP:
    16,724xp
    fluffilicious
    Fluff_May_Derp and Kazumii_ like this.
  20. Keyboard Platinum

XP:
    213,353xp
    Just wanted to say that this could be in the wiki, and checkered walls are a waste of time. Stripes provides the same amount of protection but can built much, much faster.
    Fluff_May_Derp likes this.