1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Class Suggestion Cartographer

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by BananaPuncher714, Jul 23, 2017.

Class Suggestion - Cartographer
?

How does this sound?

Good 3 vote(s) 25.0%
Ok 4 vote(s) 33.3%
Idk 2 vote(s) 16.7%
Meh 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Bad 3 vote(s) 25.0%
  1. BananaPuncher714 Regular Member

XP:
    137,318xp
    Cartographer
    You are the eyes. With your map you can see what your teammates see and prepare before events happen

Class Info
    You get a sword, pickaxe, axe, shovel, and map. Whenever any teammate sees another enemy, they appear on your map. ANYWHERE. And maybe different icons for what class/armor they have. And the map can zoom in and out and move with you when you move.

Your map will center around you, and whenever an enemy is spotted by another player, so if the player can see the enemy, then an icon shows up on your map. Once your teammate can't see the enemy then the icon disappears. You can left click to zoom out and right click to zoom in. Transporters could show up as a red triangle and people with diamond armor could show up as blue dots. Your teammates show up as green so you can clearly see how many people are guarding the nexus and how many people are mining diamonds. Your map also shows the position of tps. You only have one map and you can put it in an item frame so others can see it too. When the item frame is broken, you get your map back. Your teammates cannot see enemies through blocks other than glass, water, grass and other transparent blocks. Invis will only show up if you are looking at them at a reduced radius, like 6 blocks ahead of you. Your map can scale to represent a 128 by 128 block area and can zoom out to show 256, 512, 1024, and 2048 blocks like a regular map. The wither can be viewed by shift clicking with your map after phase 4. The main purpose of this class is not just to defend the nexus, but to move teammates to unoccupied areas, like mid, the mines, the wither, the nexus, and other parts of the map.

Pros
    - You can see what your teammates see
    - You can detect enemies incoming and reassign teammates properly
    - You have the ability to gauge threats based on enemy sightings
    - You can track people and determine places that might be compromised
    - Detect incoming skybridges from farther away

Cons
    - Not much help if no one listens
    - This is a support class so it doesn't get cool abilities in pvp

Tips and tactics?
    - Send scouts to enemy bases to find best uninhabited place for tp
    - Build a watchtower to spot incoming enemies
    - Go invis and observe an enemy base while leaving the map in an item frame at base so everyone can see who's at the base
    Manchot999 and LegendaryAlex like this.

2. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    Can you please edit this post and put more information about this class?
  3. BananaPuncher714 Regular Member

XP:
    137,318xp
    What else is there to say? And how do you want me to edit this post?

EDIT: I added some more info, but I still don't know how you want me to edit the post.
  4. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    What I meant is: what makes this kit balanced.
    Whats wrong with it?
    Whats good about it?
    Try to take different class suggestions as examples.
  5. BananaPuncher714 Regular Member

XP:
    137,318xp
    I added more info and how it might be used. This is a SUPPORT CLASS!!
    LegendaryAlex likes this.
  6. Kelestami Platinum

XP:
    548,288xp
    For defensive purposes, if I had to choose between this class and Mercenary, I'd just go Merc to highlight the enemy, make noise, and quickly show my team where the enemy is located. If I'm on a team where half the players don't speak my primary language or have chat turned off, it'd be difficult to communicate via chat, even if the information on the map is clear.

Additionally, many questions are left unanswered.

- If a teammate sees invis particles, does the invis show up on the map? Most of the time they don't actually see the invis and are looking in the general direction by chance.
    - Does cutting Line of Sight stop players from becoming visible (i.e., if an enemy is behind blocks, yet a teammate is looking toward them)?
    - Does the one map span across the entire playing field? If the map is too large, it would just be a jumble of dots without being able to accurately see where enemies are, anyway.
    - How do you see enemies in wither?

I'm not saying that this is a bad class idea; it's a start toward something interesting. However, these are just questions that came to mind in less than a minute of thinking over the class seriously. As the class is right now, the only way I see it being useful is if you're in voice chat with 5+ people to make strategic use of positioning. Even then, you wouldn't stay as the class for very long, because you'd need to switch to a more useful class as soon as you have the information.

Keep thinking it over, and I hope these thoughts will help you better understand your class idea.
  7. BananaPuncher714 Regular Member

XP:
    137,318xp
    It's not only meant to defend and make your teammates aware of an enemy, although merc does outclass this in terms of glowing and fireworks. But this class can see all the enemies your teammates can see, and you can put this in an item frame, which is even better so everyone can see what everyone else sees.