1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Can you do 3D models/textures for 1.8? Want to be part of the team?

Discussion in 'When in Rogue' started by HighlifeTTU, Feb 28, 2015.

Can you do 3D models/textures for 1.8? Want to be part of the team? | Page 11
  1. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    I believe he has done elements in all the positions of the movement, and manually maps them to the blade. I didn't fully understand it either tbh, because if you look at the texture the blade animation shows a movement to THE SIDE as frames go on. I'll ask a demonstrative vid, maybe he's kind af...

2. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    I opened the .json in cubik and it only showed elements for a static blade, he said it only showed the elements attached to 1 frame of the animation... how does that work?! How can I create an element that only appears in certain frame/s of the animated texture?
  3. Fusion_ Emerald

XP:
    159,589xp
    I think you could just download his pack and you'd see how he did it.

I'll try something like this later, looks really cool.

P.s. for those who didn't know: you can probably make 3D armor (all pieces) in 1.9

E: Maybe open the .json in Notepad++ (or whatever) and see if you can see more elements there, or maybe he used multiple json's (one for every frame)? I don't know anything yet, this are just some thing's I'd try.
  4. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    Your signature is cool but do I need my own server to get it working?
  5. Fusion_ Emerald

XP:
    159,589xp
    Yeah, although I could host it for you if you want. You however need to always have the Raptr client running so that it can pull the stats from there.
  6. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    I'll decline but thanks for the offer. And that client is interesting, I'm installing it :eek:
  7. Fusion_ Emerald

XP:
    159,589xp
    I think I know how to make animated stuff (3D) and I'll try to explain how it works.

First you make every frame you want for your weapon in Cubik 3D and after you have all your frames (I'll use 40 in this example, so you have 40 cubik projects) you merge them together. (If there is a static thing in your model, like the handle of the sword you only have to model it once)

Then you do the UV mapping 'fun', and this is where the complicated stuff happens. I think that you place the UV maps so that they only are 'correct' for 1 frame. So only one object displays the texture while the other objects are 'broken' or invisible. This is done by animating the texture so that it only overlaps a certain object/cube/model at a certain time.

TL;DR model doesn't change, but the texture does. And by rendering some objects broken/invisible at some time you get an animation.

I am kinda confused after reading all this since my explaining skills are terrible. I'd recommend everyone who cares to inspect all the files in the this texture pack (also linked here).
  8. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    All items must be mapped all the time, you can't change a mapping dynamically. But if you're mapping a transparent texture, the block will seem not to exist.
    Never used the merge feature so didn't think of it, but your explanation makes sense. You're probably right
  9. ThordFox Emerald

XP:
    36,639xp
    I did a simple-af explanation for the dummies (like me, since I still didn't clearly understand how to make it when fusion explained it) on how to make a 3d animated model. I realised this after removing the model of a texture meant for a 3d model, then seeing it ingame go completely nuts.

The texture I checked is the one from that diamond sword gif I sent earlier in this thread. The animated texture you need has to use diferent places of the frame for each animation frame. This might be confusing, this is what I mean...
    Normaly you would animate a texture like this:
    [IMG]
    The red grid divides a single frame in its 4 corners, it doesn't separate frames.
    And you'd see a star going from 4 to 6 points and back, looping. For a model, you'd need to model the 4 points star, the 5 points star and the 6 points star. Problem is, all the stars of the texture are in the same place, so your star models would be always mapping a texture. So you need an animated texture like this:
    [IMG]
    This texture without a model would look like a star changing both its points and its position, very bad. But if you want a model of the stars, you need this. Your 4 points star model will look like a 4 points star while the animated texture is showing frame 1, and transparent (invisible) the rest of the time. Same goes for your other modeled stars. The tricky thing here may be mapping the stars, maybe you should cut down each frame of the animation and load it as a texture on its own to ease the modeling.

-- edit --
    Just realised, frame 4 should have the 5 points star locatedat the same place as frame 2, else your 5 points star model would map a star in frame 2 and transparency in frame 4.
    Fusion_ likes this.
  10. Echotech Regular Member

XP:
    26,158xp
    New model created by me and textured by Dr_Bosch - The Kahuna. :) ("shaman" in Hawaiian)

Some cool properties are 64x64 resolution (WiR models will have these, not 16x16) and semi-transparent green patterns on the blade. :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    ThordFox and demon_peanut like this.