1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

No Prefix Bring Shotbow To Xbox One

Discussion in 'The Network' started by chipaton_, Nov 4, 2017.

No Prefix - Bring Shotbow To Xbox One
  1. mainegorr Emerald

XP:
    1,725xp
    Okay so I’ve recently just sold my computer about a month ago, a lot of you know me as mainegor but yeah. Basically I bought an Xbox one and it came with Minecraft so I gave it a go, there’s three servers and they’re big ones on normal Minecraft, mineplex being one of them.

I honestly think ALOT of people would play shotbow if it was brought to Xbox but of course still stayed on pc. So if the option to bring it to Xbox is a thing, then I suggest the shotbow owners consider actually doing it. It would honestly be so fun and make shotbow a lot more known, I don’t even think it’s possible due to having to run it by Mojang so yeah.

I think a lot of people would play it, I know I’d personally enjoy playing shotbow and Wynncraft!

2. hiddenbun Retired Staff

XP:
    569xp
    That'd be pretty cool, bringing exposure to Shotbow since the server scheme for XBone is still pretty new. I'd love to play shotbow there too!
    Macrolide and chipaton_ like this.
  3. gpandaman Platinum

XP:
    124,659xp
    The big issues is that Mineplex, and all the rest of the servers that span all platforms, is that they are coded in C++, rather than Java, which Minecraft is clearly moving away from. Shotbow is (as far as I know) entirely coded in Java, so it would take an entire recodeing of each game to make Shotbow into a cross platform server. Personally what I'd like to see is new games being coded in C++ and old ones to be kept in Java, and just move them over when a major recoding is required (Cough cough MineZ 2/WiR), but I'm going to guess Lazer doesn't know C++ at all/very well, so he'd just shoot down the idea. It'd be pretty dope though.
    dackknight09 likes this.
  4. hiddenbun Retired Staff

XP:
    569xp
    Ah, right, because XBone and the Pocket Editions are coded in C++, not Java+LWJGL like PC. Definitely something to think about for the server's future, though.
  5. McJeffr When in Rogue Lead, Developer

XP:
    188,040xp
    As far as I know, the Java edition and Bedrock edition are not compatible in any shape or form. It is impossible to have players from the Bedrock edition play on the Java edition servers, because all of the server software of both Mojang as well as Spigot are written in Java. It would require a complete rewrite for all of the server software to work on a platform different from the JVM. Then you run into the problem where your server runs on something else than Java and the Java edition runs on Java, meaning that there is a pretty big gap that needs to be covered in order to have the Java edition play on something not written in Java.

In short: "Personally what I'd like to see is new games being coded in C++ and old ones to be kept in Java" is impossible. The server software works on Java, not on C++. You can't simply write a gamemode in C++ and put it on a Java environment as these environments are significantly different from each other, and are in no way compatible with each other. This is the main reason why Mojang has turned the default Minecraft into the Java Edition and the Bedrock edition, which does support cross-platform connections, into the main Minecraft version.

EDIT: The sample you provided of Mineplex is actually wrong. Mineplex does not have 1 server for everyone to connect to, Mineplex has 2. They have the Java server, which is used only by the Java edition, and they have the Bedrock server, which is used by PE, Xbox, W10 version, etc. These 2 servers are not 1 main server you can connect to. Each version is a complete rewrite of the other version on a different environment using a different language.
  6. hiddenbun Retired Staff

XP:
    569xp
    Okay, that makes sense. So basically, in order for people to play Shotbow gamemodes on other platforms, a whole new server must be created, including server space, with all code re-written in a different language? And the Java platform has no cross-platform compatibility whatsoever.
  7. MuffinMinister Platinum

XP:
    116,583xp
    I cringed

hard
  8. mainegorr Emerald

XP:
    1,725xp
    Cool dude, no one cares
  9. MuffinMinister Platinum

XP:
    116,583xp
    You sold your PC for an xbox one which can be bought second hand for the same price as your rank on this network

It makes no sense whatsoever to switch from PC to console anyway
  10. Hollow_Leg Platinum

XP:
    259,108xp
    Plus the money it takes to host a server
    Gewoon__ik likes this.
  11. McJeffr When in Rogue Lead, Developer

XP:
    188,040xp
    Correct, there is no cross-platform compatibility as the two versions of the game are completely different from each other.
  12. Navarr Councilor

XP:
    1,333,433xp
    So, there's a couple things.

1) While it would be possible to get our Java games to work in PE as is, it'd take as much if not more work than rewriting them - which is why we're a definite no on that route for now, until a significantly complex protocol patch exists - but that's unlikely as the games are of course very different.

2) In order to attract a lot of players on Bedrock editions, we'd have to be a Microsoft partner - like the other big three servers. From what we've heard this puts significant limitations and restrictions on these guys and makes their lives pretty difficult. Without that, we'd just be another name you'd have to plug in and there wouldn't be much of a guarantee we'd get very far.