1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion August - State of Smash Post

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by BrendanLeeT, Aug 1, 2016.

Discussion - August - State of Smash Post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrendanLeeT Retired Staff

XP:
    88,550xp
    Introduction:
    Hey guys,
    Nothing much has happened on Smash due to the developers focusing on the 1.9 update; Reconal and I have managed to get some new things out.

Staff Applications:
    We are currently recruiting new Mini-Admins for Smash and the applications are still open!
    If you're interested in becoming a Smash Mini Admin then you can apply here.
    NOTE: We have a total of 72 applications for Smash and we're still looking for Mini-Admins!
    We won't contact you if you get denied as a Smash Admin; you will be contacted if you get accepted.

New Smash Lobby:
    We have a new Smash lobby for the 1.9 update!
    NOTE: This may not be added until the official release of the 1.9 update.

The Future of Smash:
    NOTE: Anything listed below may be added but I cannot promise anything.
    New
    Smash Arenas (Cannot be promised)
    Possible Smash Event Server (Cannot be promised)

Quick points:
    Work on 1.9 has continued.
    Public testing for 1.9 will begin sometime this month.
    We have contacted the first batch of Smash Mini Admins. There are still more to come so don't get your hopes down!
    New Smash Lobby
    Staff Applications are still open! (Click here for the thread)
    Bugs on the 1.9 Smash server have been fixed.

2. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Let me start by saying once again, thank you so much for keeping community input on the forefront of development! It really means so much to us, and me in particular as a longtime advocate of this type of thing.
    Well, we'll see what we'll see, but in the meantime... hype anyway!
    Check out a few I'd love to see added :heart:
    1: Chessboard! My longtime project, it also has widespread community support.
    2: Airship! Built by IamMcIovin, looks pretty solid.
    3: DarkCastle! Built by DrachenCube, also has great counter-symbolism with WhiteChapel.

Also, please consider which ones are already in the game you might want to keep and take out.
    Here are my opinions, copied & edited from the April thread!
    Green = Keep, Yellow = Modify/Not sure, Red = Remove
    1. Arena: Very balanced, a great map. Keep!
    2. Atrium: An old favorite -- also balanced. Keep!
    3. Beatbox: Rather enclosed, but also so small that it's balanced. Keep!
    4. Cathedral: So big, so much shelter. Fun to look at, not to play... Remove, please.
    5. Corrupted: Another great, balanced map. Keep!
    6. FortSponge: Also very fun, hard to camp on. Keep!
    7. Fortress: Maybe more shelter than necessary, and soooo many levels... but it's still definitely playable, and interesting to have such a big map. Keep!
    8. Garden: Another balanced old favorite. Keep!
    9. Gingersnap: Part of operation Christmas Cheer, I never really loved this map like other ones, but it played fine. It does have some campable places, and it seems out of date since it's so christmasy. Not sure what I think.
    10. Highlands: Skele mentioned some grievances about this map, and I agree with them. Remove, please.
    11. Ice: Skele praised this for the mere fact that it's so open, and I again agree. Keep!
    12. LavaSpire: I'd say it's doable if you use Skele's edits (flip the map over), but otherwise rather boring to play. Edit or remove -- and please make sure it's removed from ranked if you get a chance.
    13. Library: A good mix of shelter and open spaces, one more old favorite, interesting gameplay. Keep!
    14. Netherfort: As a newer player, I hated this map because of how chaotic the holes were, and today's newer players might not like this either. However, I really have come to like it these days. I could go either way with this one.
    15. Oculus: Great mix of shelter and open spaces, also fun because of the parkour to get back up. The parkour's a little frustrating for newer players, however. I might like to see an easier path to access these lower levels. Otherwise, keep!
    16. Overgrowth: Meh. It looks great, but it's sprawling (as opposed to Fortress, which is very dense) and hard to find players to hit off. The water pool also makes for an easily camped location. Remove, please.
    17. ResearchLab: Certainly remove from ranked if it's still there. Possibly remove altogether. It can be fun for newer players, though, to have a map that's easy to survive on.
    18. Ruins: A wonderful map apart from its one fatal flaw: the campable top roof with four (or more?) item spawns. I'd nerf that to 1 spawn or remove the spawns altogether. Otherwise, keep!
    19. Sanctuary: I confess to not having played Sanctuary much, merely because I almost never see an open Sanctuary game. I get the vibe it's unpopular, although it is pretty well structurally balanced. Could go either way with this one.
    20. ShroomKingdom: Another old favorite, and shebbar and Asia like it. Keep!
    21. Reindeer Games: The 50-man map Skele also criticized. I again agree: I'd remove the wall or remove it altogether.
    22. Stonehold: Great in terms of shelter, and unique for its splash poisons. Keep!
    23. Swamp: Give it 2 layers of water. Please! If it had this (as it did at one point), it'd be super fun (as it was).
    24. Temple: A personal favorite of mine! Plenty of brick under the upper floors to allow people to do digger battles, which are somewhat tedious, but most all maps have this to some extent. Keep!
    25. The Cube: Like Skele said, change the clay to glass and make sure it's removed from ranked -- thanks! Otherwise, it can be fun to play in unranked.
    26. The Ship: Again as Skele said, I'd make sure it's removed from ranked. And also again it can be fun in unranked.
    27. Volcano: Great fun and greatly balanced! As if the yawning void wasn't enough, there's equally deadly lava right up there! Keep!
    28. WhiteChapel: Fun to smash through the floor and snipe from the rafters, and otherwise fairly well structurally balanced. Keep!
    29. Yun: A rival to Chessboard back in the day, I've overcome my bias and now really like this map. Keep!
    Fluffoon and _RunningKing_ like this.
  3. shebbear2 Platinum

XP:
    120,289xp
    No way! ShroomKingdom's one of my favourites. It could maybe do with a higher player cap, but otherwise it's fab.
    Sam_F_ and AsiatusxX like this.
  4. Axyy Network Co-Lead

XP:
    330,038xp
    Cathedral is bae. :heart:
    IFSTA likes this.
  5. GalacticaGX Obsidian

XP:
    1,378,170xp
    Update ideas

New Maps:
    Event ideas:
    Double Elo Weekend - You lose more ELO, but you also can get more ELO.
    Monthly SMASH Tournament - Doing a monthly SMASH tournament with some rewards for the winner.

Maps which should be removed:
    • Cathedral - too large, camper everywhere
    • Gingersnap - too many item spawns, Don't like to play on it
    • Lava Spire - every competitive don't really like this map
    • Overgrowth - too large, very dangerous
    • Research Lab - camper map
    • Reindeer Games - Should be a event map for a 50 player brawl (remove the border)
    • The Cube - No one is playing this map ._.
    _Arty likes this.
  6. shebbear2 Platinum

XP:
    120,289xp
    no
    My question: Is there really any point in removing maps? There's no harm in having them as options. Maps like Lava Spire and Research Lab shouldn't be in ranked, that's for sure, but there's no reason why they can't stay in unranked.
    SkeletonXF238 likes this.
  7. Kuubic Regular Member

XP:
    142,733xp
    Let me explain you one thing. Then players come in Smash they just do not understand its main idea. The main idea is that you can become faster, stronger, etc and this progress is endless. And then you finally get some "skill" and finally meet guy, who also have “skill”, game transform into battle, battle there both of you have the true fun from sometime impossible situations. That is what the Smash is- endless way of joy and fun. And the best part of this is that nowadays we can see tons of "skillful" players in Smash.

In this cases 1.9 and 1.10 will probably "move skill back in 2 or 3 years", because of new combat system. New combat system is too slow and it fully destroy beautiful fast drive of battles. One of the greatest Smash Player- AsiatusxX- described it in this post https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/1-9-and-1-10-ruined-combat-reflexes.353821/#post-2819260.

But do not worry. I have great solution for this. So please just make the time of hits reloading super-fast, maybe 0.1 per second, make regular hits deal 4 % of damage and make the critical hits deal 6 damage then you are in air, and it will be like in 1.8 )

As we know, 1.9 and 1.10 are the Combat Updates. So let’s make Smash more deadly) So in The Names of All Gods please add new weapons like shields, new grenades, food and etc. Also, add second hand mode. Let’s give players options to hold 2 weapons in two hand. It will bring new life in combat.
    Also, please make options to set custom time in party game.

And please admin understand, that Smash is the second most popular mod in your server. So please send more power on this update. Make in more Global)

Thx for your attention)
  8. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    Know what, you changed my mind on this one. Edited my post too!
    I looked at what Asia had to say in that other thread 0op mentioned,
    and though I haven't tried the 1.9 SMASH beta yet myself, I think it could be easily changed to fit what Asia was thinking.

The way I'd do it is have your hits, when fully charged, do 5%/7% on a crit, regular ("spammed") hits do the regular 4%/6% on crit, and hits from held items (e.g. cloud in a bottle) do the usual 2%/3% on crit regardless.
  9. LetsBoo Regular Member

XP:
    25,429xp
    I'm completely agreed with that
  10. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Im truly honoured that you think of me as one of the greatest in the smash community, but you could at least spell my name right :wink:
    However im glad that im not the only one thinking that the new game mechanics slow the game down to an extend that turns back in time what is considered as a "skillfull" play. Im really hoping the Staff considers this criticism during the developing process of the update.
  11. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    I don't know if this is actually a bug due to version differences or if it was somehow intended again - it shouldn't be - but it seems queueing for ranked on the BETA.SHOTBOW.NET Smash server has a timeout.

The 1.8 servers have had no ranked timeout for quite a while now and I was hoping it would stay that way on the move to 1.9 and 1.10, as it makes it so much easier to queue up and do something else while waiting for a match if the ranked queue only stops when you quit the game rather than after an arbitrary length of time.

[IMG]

As I don't know if this is considered a bug or not I'm just going to post it here.
    Sam_F_ likes this.
  12. BrendanLeeT Retired Staff

XP:
    88,550xp

At the moment I can't check the reported bugs on Smash but I will keep an eye out. Tgis might be due to the server being Beta so there are no ranked servers yet but if this continues to happen after the Beta then I can report it :)
    DrachenCube, Fluffoon and Sam_F_ like this.
  13. Mistri Network Lead

XP:
    1,695,816xp
    Is ranked fixed?
  14. DerMongoose118 Regular Member

XP:
    119,142xp
    I found a bug in SMASH where if you get a kill it won't recognize who got said kill, let alone give any XP.

Also the swords are so clunky now, I liked how they were 1.8, and it's possible to get said sword in 1.9, so it shouldn't really stay like the usual slow 1.9 swords.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.