1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Guide MineZ 2 Food Guide

Discussion in 'MineZ 2' started by Beast2x, Nov 23, 2014.

Guide - MineZ 2 Food Guide
  1. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp
    Hey all, I've been seeing a few arguments/discussions about food while playing MineZ 2 recently, so I would like to put the word out there on how each food helps (or doesn't). I am going to attempt to give a ranking to each food in three categories: Hunger, Healing, and Efficiency.

I am going to list the food alphabetically and rank it in all three categories. The best food will be ranked 1, while the worst will be ranked 10 (since there are only 10 foods currently in MineZ 2). The criteria for the categories are:

Hunger: Just the numbers for how much hunger (and saturation) the item replenishes. Based on 1 full stack.

Healing: Just the numbers for how much health the item replenishes. Based on 1 full stack.

Efficiency – This is where it gets dicey. Efficiency has many sub-categories; only three with numbers along with the rest being conceptual classifications to base the rankings on. Efficiency deals with: does the item need to be cooked/crafted, its frequency (or the frequency of its base items), its Health to Hunger ratio (hearts replenished vs hunger replenished), as well as how it replenishes hunger and health per item (I will refer to this as health and hunger density; this is for you PvPer’s out there). This is also where I will deal with any other distinguishing things about each item.

Apple

The apple is one of the most common food sources in MineZ 2. Its frequency gives it a great efficiency ranking. They are everywhere! Stacks to 3

Hunger
    4 hunger, 2.4 saturation for 6.4
    Stack total is 19.2
    An apple a day will keep the zombies eating your dust.

Healing
    2 health per apple, 6 health per stack
    Pretty standard healing capability. Don’t use them as your source of hearts.

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – very high
    Hunger Density – 6.4 Health Density – 2 Health to Hunger – 1/3.2
    Since it requires very little effort to get a full stack of apples, its efficiency ranking is one of the highest. Its only drawback is the lack of health and hunger density, which doesn’t help in PvP or running. Apples are a great starting food however. A few stacks of apples are more than enough to get you to the middle tier towns with a full hunger bar.

Rankings
    Hunger – 5 Healing – 5 Efficiency - 2

Bread

Bread is one of the top foods in MineZ 2, needs to be crafted and cooked, and is part of the popular “Bread vs Cookies” debate. The source of the debate lies in the efficiencies of these two, which I will get into more farther down. Stacks to 4

Hunger
    5 hunger, 6 saturation for 11
    Stack total is 44
    Bread is definitely one of the top tier foods, and now that it stacks to 4, it can keep you going for longer!

Healing
    2 health per bread, 8 health per stack
    While it is tied with Cookies for how many hearts per stack it gives you, I do not suggest using Bread as a healing food. Stick to using it for hunger replenishment.

Efficiency
    Crafted – yes Cooked – yes Frequency – low
    Hunger Density – 11 Health Density – 2 Health to Hunger – 1/5.5
    Based on the need to find 3 wheat (which isn’t common at all) for one bread dough, as well as the need to cook said dough for a single piece of bread, the efficiency of bread is one of the lowest in MineZ 2. It does have a high hunger density though, making it useful while running/chasing after someone.

Rankings
    Hunger – 2 Healing – 3 Efficiency - 9

Carrot

Carrots are the direct competitor to apples in my opinion. They are very similar, with only a few slight differences. Stacks to 3

Hunger
    4 hunger, 4.8 saturation for 8.8
    Stack total is 26.4
    They will keep you sprinting for a bit longer than apples.

Healing
    2 health per carrot, 6 health per stack
    Same as the apple, don’t use these in lieu of health pots.

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – mid to high
    Hunger Density – 8.8 Health – 2 Health to Hunger – 1/4.4
    Slightly less common than the apple, but with a higher hunger value, the carrot is a decent choice for a food source. Replace with a more hunger/health dense food when you can.

Rankings
    Hunger – 4 Healing – 5 Efficiency - 5

Cooked Fish

Cooked fish are a new food source and are very popular in the south. Many players seem to base how ready they are, in terms of food, for the trip north on the number of stacks of cooked fish they possess. Stacks to 3

Hunger
    5 hunger, 6 saturation for 11
    Stack total is 33
    These little cooked critters come in handy when it comes to filling your hunger bar on a long trip.

Healing
    2 health per fish, 6 health per stack
    Similar to Bread; Cooked Fish are much better at restoring hunger than health.

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – yes Frequency – mid to high
    Hunger Density – 11 Health Density – 2 Health to Hunger – 1/5.5
    The only real drawback to cooked fish is in its name; you have to cook it to get it. As long as you have a furnace available and some fuel though, cooked fish is only a moment away. Its high hunger density makes it a great food for running long distances during a fight.

Rankings
    Hunger – 3 Healing – 5 Efficiency - 6

Cookie

One of the most popular PvP foods in MineZ Classic, the cookie has faced a setback with the increased consumption of saturation when sprinting. Their popularity has waned greatly, and they only have one saving grace in my opinion. Stacks to 8

Hunger
    2 hunger, .4 saturation for 2.4
    Stack total is 19.2
    If only there was a benefit to drinking your cookies with milk!

Healing
    1 health per cookie, 8 health per stack
    The cookie is a good healing food, similar to the melon, just with half the health per stack.

Efficiency
    Crafted – yes Cooked – yes Frequency – low
    Hunger Density – 2.4 Health Density – 1 Health to Hunger – 1/2.4
    You have to craft and cook cookies, and their low hunger and health densities don’t help their efficiency. And finding wheat and cocoa can be a bit tough. Then what can keep the cookie alive in the hearts of players? Cookie dough stacks to 3. This fact alone makes having cookie dough in your inventory a safe investment. This means you can hold 24 pre-cooked cookies in one slot of your inventory, and you can cook them at your convenience. For this alone, keep a stack of cookie dough on you at all times.

Rankings
    Hunger – 5 Healing – 3 Efficiency - 8

Golden Apple

The rare golden apple is now a signature of a northern player (along with Iron and Diamond). Its absorption and regeneration make it a strong food in the field of Healing. Doesn’t stack.

Hunger
    4 hunger, 9.6 saturation for 13.6 total
    Not known for keeping you running for too long, they will however keep your hunger from going down in a pinch.

Healing
    6 health per apple, 4 health of absorption, 10 health total
    Everyone knows that golden apples are a healing food, so it’s no surprise to find them ranked as one of the best in Healing. Be aware that the absorption only lasts for two minutes, so use it or lose it!

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – very low
    Hunger Density – 13.6 Health Density – 10 Health to Hunger – 1/1.36
    With a low spawn rate, and only being found in the north, its frequency makes the golden apple harder to come by. Luckily it makes up for that with the highest hunger and health density of any food in MineZ 2, which makes it the best food for PvP. There is no argument against this in my mind. Its lower frequency should be the only reason you aren’t using it, which just means you don’t want to spend the time to get some.

Rankings
    Hunger – 8 Healing – 2 Efficiency - 1

Melon Slice

The melon has been granted a huge increase in stacking size and becomes a major player in the food game because of this. It is fairly common, making it a short task to acquire a stack of these bad boys. Stacks to 16

Hunger
    2 hunger, 1.2 saturation for 3.2
    Stack total is 51.2
    Holy crap, melons are the best?! Yes, in just straight up what-gives-the-most-hunger-per-stack, the melon is king. All hail the mighty melon!

Healing
    1 health per melon, 16 health per stack
    That’s right, melons win again. If you eat an entire stack of melons, you will get a whopping 8 hearts back!

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – high
    Hunger Density – 3.2 Health Density – 1 Health to Hunger – 1/3.2
    Although it requires no cooking or crafting, the melon does require finding 16 slices in order to get a full stack. Even when you do get 16, its hunger and health density is pretty pathetic. Its usefulness lies in running long distances, scouring cities, and healing up after a fight. Don’t try to use it during PvP though.

Rankings
    Hunger – 1 Healing – 1 Efficiency - 7

Mushroom Stew

One red, one brown, one bowl. If you have a hoe, you can survive in an area with mushrooms without worrying about starving. If only the bowl could be used as fuel… Doesn’t stack.

Hunger
    6 hunger, 7.2 saturation for 13.2 total
    Mushroom stews can’t be so low on the list! I can already hear some of you scoffing at this. Just keep reading; I give it the respect it deserves later on.

Healing
    3 health per stew
    Again, the Mushroom stew doesn’t do too well here. Keep reading though, it will redeem itself!

Efficiency
    Crafted – yes Cooked – no Frequency – mid
    Hunger Density – 13.2 Health Density – 3 Health to Hunger – 1/4.4
    With the second highest hunger and health density, the mushroom stew has a great efficiency in PvP as well as for just exploring towns. Although it seems you can never find a red mushroom when you need it, every player should have at least one slot reserved for a Mushroom Stew in their inventory. It has become a staple of PvP for a reason.

Rankings
    Hunger – 9 Healing – 8 Efficiency - 3

Raw Fish

I’m not much of a sushi fan, and apparently neither are most of you. Raw fish is mainly used as the base for cooked fish, and rightly so. Stacks to 3

Hunger
    2 hunger, .4 saturation for 2.4
    Stack total is 7.2
    Shocked raw fish is dead last? You shouldn’t be. These won’t be too helpful unless you cook them, but if you are out of options, these will keep you going until you can find real food or a furnace.

Healing
    1 health per raw fish, 3 health per stack
    I’m surprised these even replenish any health at all, but hey they have to do something right?

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – mid
    Hunger Density – 2.4 Health Density – 1 Health to Hunger – 1/2.4
    Again, this food should be a last resort for you. It has no hunger or health density to get excited about, and is it really that hard to just cook it? The only reason there is for having raw fish on you, is that you haven’t gotten around to cooking it yet. In my opinion, this is the absolute worst food source in MineZ 2. 0/10 Would not eat again.

Rankings
    Hunger – 10 Healing – 8 Efficiency - 10

Rotten Flesh

I try not to think about what I am eating when I choose to use these as a food source, but the facts don’t lie; this isn’t as bad a source of food as it was in MineZ Classic. I would take it one step further, saying it is possible to live off of only rotten flesh in the right conditions. Stacks to 3

Hunger
    4 hunger, .8 saturation for 4.8
    Stack total is 14.4
    Rotten flesh isn’t last?! Nope, it’s actually almost in the middle of the pack for MineZ 2. And its hunger ranking isn’t the only thing that will surprise you!

Healing
    0 health
    As the only food that doesn’t heal you, it’s no surprise rotten flesh is dead last (pun intended).

Efficiency
    Crafted – no Cooked – no Frequency – high
    Hunger Density – 4.8 Health Density – 0 Health to Hunger - 0
    Number four? Crazy, right? Well let me explain first. Rotten flesh is one of the most common food sources in MineZ 2, it doesn’t need to be cooked or crafted, and it stacks to three. Not too shabby. But what about the chance of infection you say? Well this is easily minimized with a teammate/ a ready supply of milk. The teammate option is better in my mind, as you can eat multiple rotten fleshes at the same time, drink murky water, and then be healed by a teammate. This allows you to reap the benefits of your hunger being restored along with your water, without losing health. You could even use this method while you are hurt to gain hearts from your friend’s healing. Think of the possibilities!

Rankings
    Hunger – 7 Healing – 10 Efficiency - 4

Here is a list of all the rankings in order from best to worst, thanks to boogaert for suggesting this!

Hunger - Melon Slice, Bread, Cooked Fish, Carrot, Apple & Cookies, Rotten Flesh, Golden Apple, Mushroom Stew, Raw Fish

Health - Melon Slice, Golden Apple, Bread & Cookies, Apple & Carrot & Cooked Fish, Mushroom Stew & Raw Fish, Rotten Flesh

Efficiency - Golden Apple, Apple, Mushroom Stew, Rotten Flesh, Carrot, Cooked Fish, Melon Slice, Cookies, Bread, Raw Fish

I hope you all enjoyed my guide and were able to take something away from it. Please feel free to ask questions and post comments or concerns below. Thanks guys!

2. xGAJx Regular Member

XP:
    30,207xp
    Epic guide, really goes into detail about the MineZ 2 food's. This is a MUST read for any player.
  3. GoldDude68 Platinum

XP:
    7,807xp
    I would like to point out that it is possible to stack 24 cookies in the form of 3 cookie dough.
    Seeing as everywhere i go i have an ax and there is almost always a furnace, i essential triple my stack effectiveness.
    Doesn't work for bread since its 1 dough : 1 bread (Cookie is 1::cool:
    kaiomann likes this.
  4. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp

I said that under the Efficiency part of Cookies:

"Cookie dough stacks to 3. This fact alone makes having cookie dough in your inventory a safe investment. This means you can hold 24 pre-cooked cookies in one slot of your inventory, and you can cook them at your convenience."
  5. GoldDude68 Platinum

XP:
    7,807xp
    :lmao: didnt catch that, sorry mate
  6. Redou Regular Member

XP:
    20,101xp
    Thank you dude, I was searching for a guide like that since a long time. :D
  7. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp
    Awesome, I'm glad I was able to help! :)
  8. Mersid Regular Member

XP:
    114,574xp
    And yet my food load out is 6x3== 18 cooked fish
  9. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp
    That isn't a bad food inventory. But based on numbers, I think it could be better. However, cooked fish is one of the easiest foods with a high hunger value to acquire. That makes it very popular.
  10. Mersid Regular Member

XP:
    114,574xp
    What would you recommend with six slots for food and three for water? What combo of food would you say is optimal?
  11. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp

Do you go out looking to PvP or do you avoid players in the north?
  12. 1cyyy Platinum

XP:
    121,820xp
    great guide
  13. kspksp Regular Member

XP:
    26,001xp
    Do carrots restore 3 or 4 hunger? Because when I play in 1.7, carrots restores 4 hunger, and stays there. I do not know if it's a bug or if it's simply client-side bug.
  14. GoldDude68 Platinum

XP:
    7,807xp
    3 with 4.8 sat
  15. kspksp Regular Member

XP:
    26,001xp
    I wonder if it's actually 4 hunger or if it's just an illusion for me.
  16. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp

I will look into it. Good question :eek:
  17. kaiomann Gold

XP:
    63,790xp
    90% sure carrots restore 4 hunger.
    Also, someone asked what you should fill 6 food slots with. I always go for a mixture of long-lasting foods and "snacks". Something like 3 stacks of fishes, 1 stack melons and 2 stacks cookies is usually what I have with me.
  18. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp

Wiki says 3 hunger, still looking into it.

And I saw that he asked me. I replied asking if he plays PvP or not. He didn't respond. What food you should have is based on your playstyle. Again, I am waiting to hear what he says, but those of you who are also wondering/impatient:

Six slots of food for:

PvP - As many golden apples as you can get, fill the rest with mushroom stews.

PvE/Avoiding PvP - 2 stacks of melons, a stack of bread, a stack of cookie dough, a stew, and a golden apple if possible.

These are the ideal sets to me.
  19. andrew323 Retired Staff

XP:
    127,641xp
    Its a 1.8 change. They restore 4 in 1.7
  20. Beast2x Emerald

XP:
    31,806xp

So then which does MineZ 2 go by?