1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Engineer - C4 Technician

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by JeTi_Brothers, Oct 5, 2020.

Suggestion - Engineer - C4 Technician
  1. JeTi_Brothers Platinum

XP:
    215,738xp
    Past & Current Engineer
    In the past Engineer has been known to have 3 types of TNT, Dynamite with a blast radius of 1.7, C4 with a blast radius of 3.5 and Nuke with a blast radius of 5. The first type of TNT being extremely weak and because of that only having one actual use, countering swapper traps (which it is rarely used for). The other 2 being very strong against enemy bases. The class used to ruin defense games but with the recent changes to delay blocks, that has become less of a problem. Since delay blocks instantly defuse the TNT now there are not really that many situations in which you would use the Engineer class.

So, what is wrong with the class?
    In my opinion the Engineer class should still be a useful class, but it should not ruin entire games for people like the old engineer did. How do we achieve this, you may ask? I have some changes in mind that might give the Engineer class some interesting and new uses. It will not be the new meta or anything, but it could be used for certain situation. It gives the class a little more depth than just destroying large chunks of an enemy wall and could be incorporated in for example rushes.

Changing Engineer into an actual Engineer
    I propose that the engineer class will spawn with the Evertool, a brand-new Detonator and the Bunker Buster but in a reworked way. The Dynamite and Nuke will still work in the same way, but C4 will be reintroduced as follows:
    • The C4 will be placed as a Stone Button.
    • The C4 will be able to break any blocks placed by an enemy team (including team doors). It will only break the blocks directly behind the C4 placement, up to a 3x3x3 area will blow up behind the button.
    • The Engineer spawns with a new item called Detonator.
    • The detonator can detonate C4 within a range 15 to 100 blocks away from the C4.
    • The placed C4 will disappear upon death or class change. You can go further away from the placed C4, but it would display a message that you are too far away from the C4 to detonate it (or too close by).
    • When you use the detonator the C4 will start a countdown of 10 seconds before going off. During this time, the button will start making a semi-loud ticking sound that will rapidly increase in speed at 5 seconds. This will notify the enemy team about the C4 placement if they are paying attention.
    • The enemy team can diffuse the C4 by destroying the button. Delay blocks will instantly defuse C4.
    • Standing in the blast area will deal 5 hit points of true damage. This can hit teammates, enemies & the engineer.
    • When the C4 explodes, gets removed or gets diffused it will start a cooldown of 120 seconds.
    Numbers can be tweaked if deemed too weak / strong.

Pros
    • Can be used as an alternative strategy to get inside an enemy base. Would require you to be stealthy but it would allow you to easily blow a decent sized entry hole inside an enemy wall.
    • Will give the class different uses and could introduce new strategies.
    • Gives the class more depth.
    Cons
    • The class still only has a handful of situations where using engineer would be worth it.
    • C4 will change which means the ‘normal TNT explosion’ will only have the small or big blast radius with dynamite and nuke respectively.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks to Galap, Soto & Omniv3rse for their feedback and contributions to this suggestion.

2. soto Platinum

XP:
    1,536,055xp
    It would be biased of me to vouch for it or whatnot or give my opinion but as someone who helped giving my suggestions on this, I would like to see these changes happen.
    JeTi_Brothers likes this.
  3. zoomninja3000 Regular Member

XP:
    51,087xp
    Why not make it so the bunker buster also triggers the C4?
  4. Barobax Regular Member

XP:
    478,906xp
    I personally would like to see Engineer's explosives work on naturally spawned buildings as well like the towers and bridges in Coastal but not on things like naturally generated dirt, rocks, or grass. I think the materials should be divided into manmade and naturally occurring with explosives destroying the manmade ones as a quicker way to destroy bridges and other buildings like the hallways of Castle.
  5. JeTi_Brothers Platinum

XP:
    215,738xp
    Could also be an option yeah. Not sure what would be easier to use as the bunker buster already has several options with clicking to the next type of tnt and placing it.

While that would be a very nice ability to clear obstacles in your base, I think it would be too easy. The obstacles like the towers etc take time to remove. If every team would simply blast away anything in their way it would look very strange and I don't think that it will benefit gameplay.
    Sevy13 and soto like this.
  6. Murgatron Retired Staff

XP:
    970,785xp

Have you seen what a base looks like when I'm finished building a defense? :wink:
    zoomninja3000 and JeTi_Brothers like this.
  7. JeTi_Brothers Platinum

XP:
    215,738xp
    This thread could use some more discussion. Feel free to leave opinions / feedback.
  8. Sevy13 Annihilation Co-Lead, BAC Co-Lead

XP:
    3,433,940xp
    Nice suggestion JeTi and Soto. I'm up for anything with this class.
    Would love to see some more discussion on this.
    Mallowpuffs and JeTi_Brothers like this.
  9. Tobi472 Platinum

XP:
    1,650,597xp
    I mean I support this 100%
  10. Superbob1000 Retired Staff

XP:
    87,366xp
    This would be awesome, dude! The only thing is, the explosion should not hurt teammates. That leaves a lotta room for team griefing.
  11. RichRamp Emerald

XP:
    595,357xp
    I think engineer is sitting pretty good where it's at right now already for mid. It can destroy mid roofs, bridges, and mid bases. Perhaps the cooldown should be different after the TNT has been defused by a delay block.