1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion My thoughts on PTR

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by Detective_Mark, Apr 10, 2020.

Discussion - My thoughts on PTR
  1. Detective_Mark Platinum

XP:
    334,750xp
    Hello! It has been a long time since I have created a forum post, but I have been playing PTR recently, and I wanted to share my thoughts. Here are parts of the game I think are great and do not think need changes, and some things I feel need to be improved upon.

First topic: PVE Line

I really like the PVE line. A much needed feature to keep people from rage quitting after getting slaughtered in the South repeatedly. Its quite useful, and spawn town loot wasn't changed all that much from what I could observe, so I am not opposed to its inclusion. However, there are a few gripes I have with it. There is NOTHING in the lore to explain it, nor is there infastructure(builds) to have it make sense. MZ is a world that has come to and end it terms of civilization, so I suggest having spawn towns be devoid of zombies, and implementing structures across the map to aid this. Think of the Southern part of the map, or spawn towns at best, a place where civilization still exists.

Second Topic: Heal Kits

I like the changes included here. I like the expansion and the variety of effects you can use. I don't see anything particularly game changing or game breaking for that matter. My only gripe with it, is that you can no loneger heal yourself with bandages(and by that I mean, you cannot right click the bandage to heal a heart of health, or 1/2 a heart when bleeding. Perhaps go back to unlimited uses on bandages for other players than yourself, rather than making them consumable?

Third Topic: Radio

I used the radio, its a very nice feature, and I'm happy to see it make a return. Global chat with whoever you want is awesome! I see no faults or anything that needs to be fixed, a quality of life improvement to be sure.
    Fourth Topic: Food

Here is where I think PTR needs the most work. Food changes. I feel like reducing melons to stack to 2, and apples stacking to 1, is a heavy blow that was unnecessary. Was it really that broken? Melons only stack to 4, and heal 1 hunger bar each. Does restoring 1 thirst point really make it that broken when they stack to 4, especially since its the only item that does so? And why were apples reduced to 1? I don't understand that at all. Modifying the saturation on these food items also makes it much more frustrating. I did not see the reason to reducing saturation to Gold apples, since they were about as hard to come by as gunpowder. These saturation changes only makes the game more tedious, because it creates a dynamic where the only food worth using has to be crafted. Gathering ingredients makes it more tedious, and I can definitely see it being a major turn off to players.

Fifth Topic: Loot changes

Food loot changes weren't that dramatic, I think. The saturation and stacking is what I have issues with, but I suppose the drop number of each food chest could be increased. Most food chests yield subpar food. Slows things down just a tad, if I'm being honest. My primary issue is with military loot. I find it very difficult to obtain chain. Mil uncommons don't drop them nearly as often. Mil rares got a huge nerf in this update, however. Most mil rares rarely drop anything of use for me, I most often find stone weapons. This is significant because MOST of the chests on the map, a great majority of them, are mil rares. The cave system, and midmap, North, and far North are effected. The drop rate of stone swords, and axes is so high, there are times I cannot distinguish between a mil rare and an uncommon. Also, once you head North, it just becomes filler. Filler items with a very high drop rate that often eclipse better loot. I went to floating islands yesterday and got a LOT of stone swords. There's mil rares at every location in the midmap and beyond, this is what truly makes the game far more tedious, and much harder to survive, for that matter. I had trouble surviving in PTR at first because I could not find ANY chain.

Sixth Topic: Splash II's.

I am satisfied with the loot tables of potions, I think they were unchanged. However, I think it doesn't make sense to reduce the number of hearts that splashes heal. It may also be confusing to new players.

If you read all that, thank you for taking the time to do so! I look forward to receiving your responses about the feedback I provided. Most of the changes on PTR were much needed, but once again, I am only posting suggestions to how the recent changes could be improved upon. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

2. YongtonAbbey Platinum

XP:
    29,236xp
    Good read! I mostly agree with you and one of the most annoying things about PTR is the issue with the bandages. I mean, once you put them in the kit, they're "gone" which doesn't make sense. If they really want to make the game more realistic/more survival based (I am a big fan of that, even tho I feel like most people don't like it) it should be possible to "consume" bandage even after adding them to the kit.

And secondly, I agree with you about the PvE-Line thing. If they would add a giant wall around any spawn town (pls don't do it, it would look disgusting, lol) It would make atleast a little bit of sense. But people will always kill other people irl so a "safe zone" should really be mentioned in the Lore. Doesn't matter if it has to anything with the Gods or not, I just want to have a "reason" for the PvE Line for my head canon, lol.

Edit: I hope my english is fine, I'm pretty tired rn and english is not my first language but I really wanted to answer you. :D
  3. genesispeaches Emerald

XP:
    272,296xp
    2) While it might be a little tough, I think we will have to let go of infinite healing kits, as when you think about it, they are really, really strong. Bandages should continue to be consumable, however, I think there is a fairly large problem with how long it takes to gather reasonable amounts of dyes. As a solution, I think Support kits should spawn with randomized quantities (maybe 0-4) of bandages and of each dye. Additionally, it might be cool to experiment with dyes spawning in stacks of 2-3 in civ chests, potentially with a lower percent chance than individual dyes.

4) Generally speaking, I really agree with the food changes added with PTR. On live right now, it's wayy too easy to get an inventory of food from a spawn town and get all the way north. Like, I can spend 10 minutes in Romero and have enough food to run all the way to floating islands. These changes make it so you can't get as much food from spawn towns as easily, and encourage players to visit midmap locations with better quality food. This being said, I do agree that melon changes in particular might have been a little bit overkill, and gapples had no business being nerfed. I'd like to see melons buffed to stacking to 3, and the gapple changes reverted.
    RoryIsAThing and YongtonAbbey like this.
  4. RoseFredricks Artist

XP:
    45,261xp
    {insert personal attacks on Mark for using the forums here} ;P

I generally agree with pretty much everything you're saying. I agree the PvE line from a lore perspective is kinda weird, but given how important to the game mechanically it is, I think that's excusable.

Heal kits need some work, but are generally good and are hard to judge given they are being reworked somewhat.

Radio is nice but should really just be a command. Think of it as keeping the radio always attached to your head, since it doesn't have to be in your hand anyways.

Food changes actually overall don't feel too bad, although with saturation being bugged the way it is right now, it's hard to properly judge the changes.

Military loot is probably one of the biggest balancing issues I have with the game right now. Military chests are awful. Agni Ignis? Pointless. Hell Tree? Wayyyy to dangerous to be worth the it. Same with Floating Islands. Anywhere else with Military chests? Enjoy sitting there for 3-4 hours. The best place for chain armor is Maze of the Tenth. The best place for iron armor right now is Lost Thieves Guild. And when I compare gearing at LTG on live compared to PTR, the iron yield is the same. That is how bad Military chests have become, and this invalidates soooo many locations on the map. I haven't really talked about this much because I've been mainly focusing on the bugs with PTR, but Military chests need heavy rebalancing.
  5. Meifot Gold

XP:
    219,469xp
    I do think you should be able to heal bleeding on yourself with bandages, and shears should also have a chance to spawn with dyes and bandages already, red/green dyes should spawn in stacks at least. Food changes while a bit annoying are fine, stone items being in mil rares is really bad for the progression of the game, since I find more stone swords then anything else when im looking for iron or chain (unless I go to agni but that is also a gamble with how difficult agni is now.)
    RoryIsAThing and MTrout like this.