1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion "Keybindings" suggestion

Discussion in 'Wasted' started by HypeTrains, Jun 11, 2019.

Suggestion - "Keybindings" suggestion
?

Should we use the SWAP HANDS input as the new reload?

Keep PUNCH as reload 3 vote(s) 60.0%
use SWAP HANDS as reload 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Allow us to choose! 2 vote(s) 40.0%
  1. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    For Wasted's possible return I have a few suggestions on the keybindings and how to improve the user experience without straying too far from Minecraft game inputs and how most people are used to playing First Person Shooter games. In most games, [R] is reload. In Wasted, it was the PUNCH input, which is very opposite to most games, but of course we had no issues at the time because it was just what you did.

Many gun plugins choose to use the DROP ITEM button (default [Q] ) as reload, which can easily be rebound to [R] (as I have done on a crackshot based gun server that I used to play). However, being able to drop weapons without going into the inventory to click drag it out of your hotbar is very annoying, and thanks to the 1.9 update we have a new option for the reload button.

Instead of using PUNCH or DROP ITEM, I suggest we use the SWAP HANDS input. Since plugins can detect an attempt to put a gun in the offhand, we can use this as our reload. In additon, the default keybind is [F] which is not far off from [R] and can still be rebound as wanted.

I think this is a great idea because it allows us to migrate reload to our keyboards as many of us are used to in modern FPS titles without sacrificing the DROP ITEM input. It can still work for akimbo weapons as well, as you do not need to actually swap hands, the server can detect it and deny you the action if you have something already in your offhand.

Now people may prefer the old input system, and I think we can make it work for both. Simply add a command of '/input' with sub commands '/input punch' and '/input swap' or alternatively the command '/controls' which would toggle the player between the SWAP HANDS input and the PUNCH input for their reload.

Please discuss.

2. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    This is something to consider. I don't think dual wield would be impacted negatively, if we decide to go the F route and if that feature is added. We already had plans for a preferences system anyways, so that would be trivial to add some key bindings.
  3. connor564 Platinum

XP:
    157,819xp
    Wasted has no plans to return lol