1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion /report Availability

Discussion in 'The Network' started by Bergmanman, Apr 23, 2018.

Suggestion - /report Availability
  1. Bergmanman Platinum

XP:
    558,653xp
    I'm gonna keep this quick and precise. There are many situations in which I want to report a player, be it for spam, hacks, whatever, but they leave the server before I can get the report in. To put it simply, I suggest there be a short period after someone leaves a server/goes offline where they can still be reported. It could be as short as 2 minutes even, because that would give me and others plenty of time to finish or start reports.

The biggest places I've noticed this to be a problem are in main Shotbow lobbies and the Annihilation lobby. In these lobbies, it is very easy for players to do whatever they want and then go to their game before anyone can do anything about it.

This will be useful to admins and players alike by catching spammers/hackers faster. Over the last couple weeks I have noticed that a lot of hackers in Annihilation spam the same thing in chat. Things like #DELTA, japanese characters, and defamatory things about Shotbow. So when I see that spammed in the Main Shotbow Lobby, I can guess he is a hacker as well as a spammer. But they all leave the lobbies too soon to report them.

Would love to hear some feedback on this or if it has been suggested before. Thanks
    Mistri, Hingey and Navarr like this.

2. Corrade Regular Member

XP:
    21,864xp
    I'm straight up curious as to what the reason is for not having reporting available ALL of the time.
  3. Aexon Regular Member

XP:
    18,382xp
    Except for chat spam, there's no use in offline player report as staffs will receive report but nothing to know if the player is really hacking or not. And for chat spam you can just take a screenshot (of the entire minecraft window) and post it in the report a player section on the forum, so there isn't really any use for that.
    Corrade likes this.
  4. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    Not really worth the time imo. If the hacker is gone I'm not going to spend 5 minutes reporting them on forums.
  5. Athys Platinum

XP:
    279,640xp
    The way the report system works, it's not ideal to have offline reported players to be displayed alongside online reported players (This actually can happen, but only when the player is already reported and then logs off). In the event that you are too late to report a player, you should use the report section on the forums alongside any evidence.
  6. Bergmanman Platinum

XP:
    558,653xp
    I see 10's of hackers a day sometimes, there is no way I'm taking the time to report someone on the forums when it takes them less time to get an account and start hacking on it.
    LegendaryDucc and Hingey like this.
  7. Aexon Regular Member

XP:
    18,382xp
    And how does your idea solve this issue that can't be solved ?
  8. Gnjoejoe Retired Staff

XP:
    238,764xp
    While the admin team recognizes the frustration that comes with encountering these individuals, we feel it necessary to stress (without giving away a fair amount of detail) that our system takes into account players online status. Our staff team is meticulous about ensuring that we catch cheaters and spammers while being 100% certain about this. I would have concerns about the ability to spam this command and the fact that there are many ways that this could be abused. In this situation, I would say that the best way to deal with this situation continues to be to post on the forums. While this must be frustrating, I do not believe that this suggestion would improve our current system for catching those who break the rules, and would instead spam our internal tracking system.

We appreciate your communication on this idea, love to see discussion about network improvement ideas.
  9. schiindler Retired Staff

XP:
    214,332xp
    I agree that there are ways we can improve reporting players who leave the server before they're caught, but sometimes they are already caught! It's also a thing of, like Joe said, making sure the administrators get clear proof of what exactly is happening before action is taken.

However, maybe the system can be expanded in a way that if the player in question is still online the network, the report goes through. (Keyword MAYBE, I am not a developer) Love to see the ideas though! Good to hear from you, Berg!
  10. iinsu Regular Member

XP:
    139,624xp
    A problem I'm having very often is that on MTA people are abusing something or hacking on a private server or on the other instance or just things like that where simplified: i need to report him but I'm not able to because he is on another MTA lobby. Would be extremely helpful if it would be possible to report someone across MTA instances
    Gnjoejoe and Ultimativemaster like this.
  11. Bergmanman Platinum

XP:
    558,653xp
    This is mostly the issue I was referring to. Players who spam chat in the Shotbow lobby who then go to a game lobby, but are then unable to be reported from the previous lobby, even though the player is still online.

Hey David nice to see you! For the first part of reports coming in on players who have already been banned/punished, it seems like it would be easy to filter out reports from players not currently allowed to join the server. As for clear proof, I completely understand wanting to be certain, which is why I wouldn't expect anything to happen unless an admin can see what happened. But that is also why I think chat spam should still be report-able, because it brings a log of the chat with it, which is all the proof needed.

It would be great if reports on players who were not in the reporter's lobby, but are still online elsewhere, went through. This would also help admins get the proof they need for hackers/spammers by giving them a heads up on a player before he hacks in the new lobby he joined. My guess is that the first problem would be about the increase in reports coming in. These could be slowed if it was possible to force all reports to have been made within, say 1 minute of the person leaving their lobby. And if it comes back to reports coming in on already punished players, have them automatically filtered out.

I do NOT think reports should be allowed to come in on players who are completely offline, with the possible exception of a chat spam report shortly after they have left.

If you think the idea should be left for dead though, let me know and I'll leave the thread alone.
    Davidss10001 likes this.