1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion SMASH Tournaments

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by Kingey, Jan 9, 2018.

Discussion - SMASH Tournaments
?

Would you be interested in participating in tournaments?

Yes 26 vote(s) 96.3%
No 1 vote(s) 3.7%
  1. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    Hey everyone,

The idea to host tournaments on SMASH has come up. In order to know if it's actually worth spending time on making and planning it all, I'd like to know if there is any interest in it.

As of now it will most likely be 5 man teams that will be competing against one another.

Let me know if you are interested in participating and what you think would be cool to include in it all. =)

2. Crustations Platinum

XP:
    70,741xp
    I'd definitely love to participate, going to grab a team and get ready :)
  3. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    Definitely, sounds like an amazing idea.
  4. ACrispyTortilla Retired Staff

XP:
    168,126xp
    I'd love to participate, but i'd have to hope on getting recruited ;p
  5. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    Im under your command sir Tortilla!
  6. Maashg Platinum

XP:
    1,439,119xp
    I wish i could join but i am busy with my school :(
  7. ment0l66 Emerald

XP:
    575,309xp
    I'd love to play, just hope it won't be held at 3 in the morning for me. I'd have to be recruited thought, so LFF!
  8. Sonicboom_ Regular Member

XP:
    274,857xp
    Just was talking about this the other day! hope it gets made into a real thing.
  9. _BrightDarkness_ SMASH Mini Admin

XP:
    2,175,984xp
    Can I be alone a "five man team" ? lol
  10. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Now thats just being cocky lol. But i would take on a 2v5 with you if you are interested :stuck_out_tongue:
  11. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    Great to see this initial response! Anyone have any suggestions for features or other things they think would be cool?
  12. ACrispyTortilla Retired Staff

XP:
    168,126xp
    For stuff like this, could we maybe get different items? Perhaps no healing items?
  13. _BrightDarkness_ SMASH Mini Admin

XP:
    2,175,984xp
    Nice idea, let's do this.
  14. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    From my experience both playing in the 2013* ish tournaments ran by Shebbear2 and then hosting a number of tournaments myself in 2014 and 2015 the only format that works for competitive play is 1 versus 1, and a dedicated tournament server is very valuable. Those tournaments were also back when there was an EU server and the tournaments would be split between regions and ping was therefore less of a problem.

*was it even 2013? Can't remember now

I'd also recommend you consider the item chance tweaks I made in my tournaments, and making very clear what tricks are and are not allowed. https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/monthlyish-smash-tournaments.298426/
  15. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    I would love to see 2v2s aswell. Or to make it fair 2v3+ considering i get one of the best players ever on my team :wink:.

No but seriously i don't see 5v5s happening to be honest. For once it is relatively hard to find a day where everyone is able to participate, but also the fact that the amount of players that would attend doesn`t allow more than 3 or maybe 4 teams. If we had 8 Teams there could at least be a quarterfinal, which would make the whole thing feel more tournamentish i guess. For that i would love 2v2 Battles as we never actually had them implemented other than the very questionable attempt of "Team Battles" during 2016.
  16. GalacticaGX Obsidian

XP:
    1,378,170xp
    Sorry but I dont want to team up with you.

jk :lmao:
  17. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Who are you again?
  18. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    There are also no suitable maps for 10 players iirc.
  19. Kingey Retired Staff

XP:
    212,406xp
    There will of course be a newly made map to suit whatever is going to be happening.
    ACrispyTortilla likes this.
  20. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    I would like to ask if there is any kind of rewards planned, going along with this feature. Because if there is then i'm pretty sure more players will be interested.

Next i would love to know if it's actually supposed to be a 5v5 Battle. Like a legitimate 5 versus 5 on a single map? Because this is not only hard to organize but also just a huge fucking pile of bashing around without much strategy. The fewer amount of players on a map the more coordinated the fights can get. And therefore the skillgap increased which is what we want for a competetive tournament.

I personally think either 2v2 or 3v3 or even both would be fitting. You could even count it as a 5 man team, two of them participating in a duo the others in a trio. Both of these fight against their respective opponents and collect points for their main team. That way it would be possible for everyone to even get 2 rewards or at least 1. If you dominate the 2v2 Battles but your 3 man team sucks you still win something aswell as the other way around for the opposing team that proved to be the better 3v3 Fighters.

The reason i'm saying this is because i've played a lot of 4v4 or 5v5 matches in the past and i can tell you. It's a fucking mess. Barely any skill involved and whoever dies first loses the game due to the player advantage. Tone it down to at max 3 per team and we are good to go. Especially in terms of organizing a time for the fights to happen.
    ACrispyTortilla and ImLuuna like this.