1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Class Suggestion Team Leaders & Upgradable Nexus

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Mysterious_Seven, Oct 23, 2017.

Class Suggestion - Team Leaders & Upgradable Nexus
  1. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    I've had a thought bouncing around in my head about adding a "Leader" to every team. Ive yet to nail down weather or not the leader should be its own class or just a title with benefits.

If they were just benefits then leaders would need to be premium and could pick their class (but not switch them) in the field. If they wanted to switch their class they would need to go back and pick a new one, or pick a leader placeholder class if they wanted to wait.

If they were their own class then I'd suggest some sort of nexus upgrade system something like mining fatigue or glow effect on the first person that enters, first and second person, ect... Obviously these would need alot of care in handling, but they also could be very expensive to upgrade to. Maybe Handyman could get a buff to do this instead and leaders could be the above option.

Haven't really thought about how the leader would be selected, I figure that's best left open to debate.

2. BeastyClaws Regular Member

XP:
    14,721xp
    Okay let me break this down as to why this, (in my OPINION) is near impossible if not completely. I understand by what you mean by Straw man but obviously, that means your open to criticism. First i'll be saying what's bad about it. Then i'll say whats good. Don't get discouraged by any of my words. Just take it into account and do as you wish.
    Firstly yes, this is a team game, but before introducing classes and context we need to teach players what it means to have teamwork, Back in 2014, the players actually understood the power of working together. Lets be honest, everyone wants to be the hero. Nobody wants to be just another NPC or just another name. Everybody wants to be leader. And in a game where there are 4 teams and about 20 players in each team. It's pretty hard to choose.
    Secondly the leader being premium, You even stating that pissed me off to an incredibly high amount. It's like saying the president of country A can only be White or can only be Black or can only be any other color or personal status. Only a man can be president. And that just comes off as so discriminating. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think thats what you meant by " leaders would need to be premium". Since Need to be is a very, very discriminating way of putting things.
    Thirdly it being a class is not that great of an idea. What do you mean very expensive to upgrade to? You mean to buy or?
    Either way I like it being a tag or just like a title.
    No benifits.
    Because that's whats wrong with real life leaders.
    Let me get into this very briefly. Giving the "Leader" more perks or abilities is oppression, he becomes more powerful just because he is the leader. That's not always the case. The power that the leader should have is leadership skills. Not something you can buy off the internet or in the XP shop.
    He has to know how to lead the team. Let's say a team selected a leader who didn't talk at all. Having a bad leader could mean the destruction of the whole game for that team.
    And what do you mean by pick their class in the field? But not switch them?
    That sounds insane.

Now let me get into the good parts.
    I love the fact that you took your and effort to think of a pretty good idea. Even though its been thrown around a lot. Having a leader in a game such as anni doesn't make that much sense unless its orchestrated perfectly.
    I love the fact that you took the courage to post this thread knowing it would be criticized, since it takes guts to stand up to other people's opinions

Important:
    This is a very gray area to cover, because normally the leader is not picked out, and given a title. The players know who the leader is through that persons actions, Not because they are premium or bought a rank. He who leads is he who knows how to play the game, and he who knows how to be a friend. Because you have to trust a leader with your life, and if you don't its just a group of monkeys following a slightly bigger monkey.
    Ill end with this. These aren't facts, Just my opinion, your opinion and everyone elses is valued, but in the end, only a good idea will reach the development process. Keep it up! And heed my words, you will get there!
    -CB/Beasty
  3. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    When I'm talking about the Leader class I use quotation marks: "Leader" Otherwise refer to its definition.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What you're talking about is the veterans leaving the game and newbies joining (more or less), of course there's going to be a decline in teamwork. However that isn't an accurate description of the current meta game, get involved in Discord channels if you want to see teamwork.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stating everyone wants to be a leader is just downright wrong. Maybe you want to be a leader and cant afford premium, I understand, but that doesn't mean the world has to change for you. As for choosing, I proposed that only premiums could be team leaders so that the pool of players eligible would decrease. Maybe it needs to be a Grandmaster unlock instead. Possibly a minimum of classes unlocked, or having to have them all unlocked, or a combination of these.

Discrimination based on paying money to receive goods is called the free market.
    We've got Grandmaster and Annihilator rank for no benefit ranks. That is completely out of the question, if this is added I have no doubt it will have a change to gameplay. Real life leaders is an intelligible comparison, but you definitely need to do more research on the subject.
    The Idea I had was that the leader could pick a "Leader" class, The "Leader" class ability would bring up the class selection window. This would allow the Leader of the team to be a wild card, without giving it any quantifiable perks.
  4. dackknight09 Obsidian

XP:
    105,709xp
    As much as I think it would be a cool feature if worked out properly, it would only create arguments within a team. It won't be good for moral nor teamwork.
  5. Snurkle Platinum

XP:
    105,131xp
    I personally don't like this idea for multiple reasons.

1.) I understand that you believe premiums should have "leader" but then that cuts off access to part of the game to others who didnt pay. The reason you want to include everyone is because if a new player joins and has part of the gameplay cut off, I can guarentee that it will affect if the player likes the game or not and will continue playing. Ranks are cut off but you can get them with out paying and just playing the game, which gives a reason to keep playing so you can unlock them. I would be more willing to support this idea if any players could somehow unlock being the leader without paying.

2.) If the leader gets any sort of perk then there will be arguments about who gets to be leader. I understand that if there are less people able to be leaders, then that might help the situation, but I dont see to many ways to totally fix this. There are good deal of people who have ranks and I can see this being an issue still.

3.) Im certain that players who have leader will feel entitled and demanding of the team based on how the community behaves currently.

A lot of people on the forums act like these thread suggestions are confirmed content that will be added in the game. There is no need for hostile/ provoking comments as they are just ideas. On the flip side, people who post the thread suggestions tend to be waaaayyy to defensive when suggesting an idea. Its open for criticism and sometimes, the suggestion turns out to not be the greatest idea and isn't a crowd favorite.
    Ivandagiant, _Swipe and Fluffoon like this.
  6. lywu2 Platinum

XP:
    15,640xp
    It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle.
    It takes a hero to be one of those men who go into battle.

- Byesford Labs Lore Block
  7. BeastyClaws Regular Member

XP:
    14,721xp
    Listen mate I tried to be as polite as I could. By showing you how this concept just cannot be.
    Accept or don't, not that I care.
    But having a "Leader" does not make sense unless all of the players want him to be there, or at least a majority.
    And what the hell does the world doesn't have to change for you? What are you smoking,
    I decide not to pay, it could be because I have personal issues, money issues, or just ego. But that doesn't give you or the network the right to deny me the ability to become a leader. I presented facts in a nice clean way and even commended you on making this thread. The least you can do is grow a bit of your brain and realize that not having a rank does not mean I cannot participate in this idea of a leader.
    Let me make this clear,
    It may be called a free market, but that's not how it works in shotbow or hardly any other minecraft network.
    I tried to be nice, don't torture me with your stupidity for it.
    -CB
  8. LegendaryAlex Platinum

XP:
    449,178xp
    Be open to critiscm, I don't think anyone wanted to personal attack you.
    ^^same to me btw
    BeastyClaws likes this.
  9. BeastyClaws Regular Member

XP:
    14,721xp
    Exactly
  10. WildWargasm Platinum

XP:
    232,117xp
    When I first read the OP, I didn't expect there to be a full on discussion about the definition of true leadership and premium perks. :stuck_out_tongue:

While a 'leader' class or title may be a bit of a blurry one, I think the idea of full-team upgrades is an interesting idea! Maybe late in the game, an option could pop up where you can exchange diamonds/other rare resources for small team upgrades. For example, spawning with chain boots instead of leather boots, having two witches on your island, gaining 3/4 additional gold ores in your mine, having shorter cooldowns on certain classes, spawning with speed I for few seconds, etc.
  11. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp

I approach things logically. If there is a problem you would like to voice with my suggestions by all means do so. But when you want to factor in your personal feelings for why something should or should not be done, that's when I stop listening. If I didn't think this had any merit thinking or talking about, then i'd have forgotten about it.

My current suggestion may never reach release, probably never, but if it does it will have inspired something else. That's what I strive for.

"No Idea Is So Outlandish That It Should Not Be Considered With A Searching But At The Same Time A Steady Eye."– Winston Churchill
  12. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    For an example, look at 8v8. Only one person can be each class at once. Taking into account the suggestions I've made to make the "leader" just a wild card, why would there need be an argument?
  13. BeastyClaws Regular Member

XP:
    14,721xp
    I get that, moving on from the premium issue.
    Because anni and 8v8 is different. Most of the time, noobs don't play 8v8.
    There will be a competition on who gets to pick the class "leader" and the first one to click it on that team wins. IF it's a class that is. And if only one team member can have that class, then yes, it would create arguments.
    -CB
  14. dackknight09 Obsidian

XP:
    105,709xp

I like your idea, but it will have to be worked out in a very good way. Right now I would imagine it as a team just camping mid in order to get those diamonds they need to unlock their rewards. Maybe a combination of things would be good. So many ores of different types combined with maybe some enchanted items? So you actually have to put in time and work together in order to get the required item.
  15. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Sounds like we need fleshed out suggestions.

What about voting for other people to be the leader during the game start up? Obviously you need to make it so once a person accepts the nomination for leader they need to stay in their team.

I never intended leader to just be a class selectable by everyone, the leader would be selected first and then only that person would have access to the leader class. This also has the side effect that if everyone voted for themselves then nobody would be the leader. This would consolidate most people's arguments down to their vote.
  16. hiddenbun Retired Staff

XP:
    569xp

I agree, team upgrades, if executed correctly, would be awesome, and add another facet to the game. I've always thought mining resources to achieve special perks would be pretty cool; something like Civilization upgrades to some extent, in that you exchange resources for certain short-time buffs or maybe permanent upgrades. It gives more reason to use the mines after the beginning phases. Game progression and depth, team participation and qualities, and (dare I say) fun all seem to go up if this change was added. A new and fresh mechanic would be just what Annihilation needs, and I'm sure players would enjoy it.

Anyways, back on track to the topic!
    dackknight09 likes this.
  17. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    I don't consider this off topic. In fact it would be a great way to implement lapis into annihilation, which as it stands is a bigger problem than team leaders anyways. Maybe team leader would be the person who donates the most stuff before Nexus bleed.