1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Update anticheat?

Discussion in 'The Network' started by OliviaNorup, Sep 23, 2017.

Suggestion - Update anticheat?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliviaNorup Regular Member

XP:
    17,079xp
    Our anitcheat has been making some very high profile mistakes lately, as some other players may agree. I was recently banned because of some glitch in the system during some extreme lag, but this is not a ban appeal. I'd just like to voice some general concerns that have been popping up in anni lately.

Speed Hacks?
    As some other players have seen, some players have been using extreme speed hacks, definitely not your regular kind. There has been cases of them sneaking while actually flying across the ground, something that anticheat should have been able to detect, yet the hacker was able to continue doing this for the better part of the day, presumably until either an admin banned him/her later in the day or they just quit.

FastBreak/Civbreak
    Whatever client these players are using, they have been able to break the nexus extremely fast, I'm talking about bring the nex from 75 to 5 in less than 20 seconds. Again, Anticheat should have been able to detect something like this, yet once again the hacker was able to take out every team doing this ( this happened maybe a week ago now).

Solution?
    As I said above, I assumed that whatever was wrong a week ago would be fixed; however, after today, I am wholly convinced that the the anitcheat system needs some much-needed tweaks. I've seen at least 3 players today using the speed hacks mentioned above, and I'm sure many other players are getting extremely disgruntled about the conditions of anni at this point. I know I've been specifically mentioning anni for this thread, but since the anticheat is used serverwide (so I'm told), I felt this should be posted on the network section.I'm not an expert on how custom plugins like this work, but I'd suggest widening your testing horizons when you are testing the anticheat whenever you do so, because there are huge gaps to fill.

2. MuffinMinister Platinum

XP:
    116,583xp
    There is no such thing as a "Instantly detect cheat button"

You're not wrong, you're just being annoying and stating the obvious.

These things take time, especially with the relatively low amount of time available to shotbow devs.
  3. OliviaNorup Regular Member

XP:
    17,079xp

Im sorry I decided to voice my concerns on a public forum made for suggestions just like this instead of complaining and moaning about it on the actual game where people say the exact same things literally every 10 minutes. I may not know about how these things work, but I do know that there should be some alarm bells ringing on anticheat when someones sprinting at almost 10x the normal speed, especially when it happens almost every single day. Yes it takes time, but it should have been addressed by now because it has been happening for almost least two months now. If it's so obvious, I'm surprised about how calmly the admins and devs are taking the fact that the gameplay they worked so hard to create is being ruined so easily like this.
    DevDuck likes this.
  4. MCDuckler Platinum

XP:
    310,131xp
    Agreed. While I don't the much hacker on MTA, and the ones I see don't really destroy my fun because they have no MTA experience at all, they are still able to use like every single hack. They can fly extremely fast, walk extremely fast, hack through ground and get into areas they shouldn't. While I'm also not that experienced with Bukkit Plugins, I can't believe how these 'obvious' hacks exist for years and don't get fixed :I I mean is it so hard to detect people that move 6 blocks at once down though blocks?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A500FU mit Tapatalk
  5. Galap Developer

XP:
    2,169,215xp
    Let me start off by saying that I, just as much as you, share this frustration. If I could, I would remove all cheaters permanently; forever!

However, there are many things to take into consideration here. It is not possible to make a 'catch all' system, even companies with billions of <insert currency> have security breaches which could be compared to cheaters in Minecraft. A recent example of this is Equifax who recently revealed that a security breach has compromised the customer data of 148 million people. How did they not catch and stop that!

Just because a cheat looks very obvious to you, does not mean that it is that obvious to detect and block in code. The code does not have eyes. Let's pretend that some movement cheats are easy to detect, you also have to consider performance. If I check the whereabouts of 120 players (the Annihilation player cap), every tick (5/100 of a second) to make sure that they're not using a speed cheat, I would drain the server's resources and ruin the game for everyone else.

Another, major, issue is that our game modes are not running vanilla Minecraft which means that other code running could modify anything about the player or world at any given time. Let's say I check for No Fall which; for example, works well in MineZ but then I try it on Annihilation and I use the Acrobat class, or one of the many other ways to prevent fall damage, now I need to start excluding all of those scenarios or I'll be disrupting innocent players.

There's more to making an anticheat than just its face value.

The best thing that you can do to help is /report <player> This helps enormously as we can obviously remove the violator but learn more about what they used and how. Please just report them and leave it at that, no need to let them know that you've reported them.

We continually make updates and improvements to our anti-cheating systems, however, we do not publicise when, why or what for security reasons.
    ArsMagia, MTrout and OliviaNorup like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.