1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Old Minez Items and Mechanics

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by Zuleth, Aug 22, 2017.

Discussion - Old Minez Items and Mechanics | Page 2
?

What do you like better?

Old Minez Items and Mechanics 7 vote(s) 29.2%
New Minez Items and Mechanics 17 vote(s) 70.8%
  1. ACrispyTortilla Retired Staff

XP:
    170,292xp
    I've been toying with the new grapples for a while, and I found a way to kind of "Horizontal Grapple" you just need grass thats a block higher than you and you grapple it and jump, it's kind of hard to do but you go flying towards the direction you grappled.

2. _Silver Jr. Developer

XP:
    280,702xp
    The problem wasn't necessarily the inability to beat someone at pvp, though that problem just gets amplified with horizontal grappling being reintroduced: if you're winning the fight, the opponent can grapple out and be gone in a few seconds. If you're losing, you can't run. It's a win-win for those with grapples. Also, comparing jitter clicking and horizontal grappling is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. Sure, they're both in the same category, but they're fundamentally different. Jitter clicking is a skill that can be developed by anyone, while horizontal grappling is making use of an item that not everyone has. Granted, anyone could just buy it with Shotbow xp, but new players especially aren't going to be able to gain xp as fast as others due to not knowing how to, or just not having a registered Shotbow account. As for new people just learning the game, I'm aware they're easily able to do that, but looking things up and joining clans are just not things most people will actually do. The IT profession has been described as "here, let me Google that for you" simply because people don't always look things up when they're struggling, even if they're able to.

While I do agree that the pvp side of Shotbow/MineZ needs an update, horizontal grappling is not the update that's needed. It's important for keeping games alive to update things in a way that'll keep the community happy, or improve the game in some way. I know that the pvp community is a large/important part of MineZ, but there are still so many other people that wouldn't be happy with the update. If a feature upsets more people than it satisfies, it probably shouldn't be kept (at least, not in the same state).
    RikiTheNopon and MTrout like this.
  3. vampire_toothy Obsidian

XP:
    86,698xp
    This would be a horrible thing to add into MineZ in my own honest opinion here. For starters, horizontal grappling was a thing of the past that many, many players disliked which contradicts what you said in your post.

To get into better detail, look at annihilation for example and tell me what you see in its meta. Right now annihilation's meta is dominated by scout of which is only remotely followed by warrior, pyro, archer and enchanter, yet you want to know why scout has not only dominated the annihilation meta and it has been one of the most widely complained about class in the game? The ability to horizontally grapple wherever and whenever they please.
    Every class in annihilation is situational and their abilities may not even be the slightest bit effective in some cases, yet the grapple has always remained viable for how it can be used in any scenario such as the ability to swoop in or out of a fight within the blink of an eye and that's just annihilation that we're speaking about.
    When it comes to MineZ on the other hand, the grapple is weaker in the sense that you get maybe a maximum of 8 uses out of it, however those 8 uses are well more than enough to allow any person to run into or out of a fight at their own free will of which this was an incredibly broken mechanic to the grapple when it was a thing. To put this into perspective, the next best thing to horizontal grappling is a speed potion and/or sugar, not even somebody who has a speed potion could escape somebody with a grapple, especially if the ground isn't very flat. Now that isn't very balanced, now is it?
    In addition to this, you give no valid reason to even bring back the horizontal grappling in the first place, the only reasons you do give is for "nostalgia" and it being "fun". Both of which are invalid reasons as to why something incredibly unbalanced should be re-implemented. For instance, MineZ has had a lot of old features and plans that have since been abandoned that I think should be looked into once again, but I do not think horizontal grappling is even remotely close to what should be revisited or even given a chance. If you want to have fun with a horizontal grapple, go onto annihilation and play scout or mess around with it in the annihilaton lobby - it's the same exact thing but with more uses.

Now, for the old Simoon's Song, I think it would be great as an event item/feature but I think it would be a horrible idea to implement into actual MineZ. The old Simoon's song was a fun item but it was incredibly broken as you could kill anybody in 2 clicks of a button unless that hit player had a cobweb and was very skilled in placing it before their would be death. Anything that has the potential to break gameplay or easily kill any player with little to no skill should not ever be implemented into regular gameplay. In addition to this, you also still give no real reason to have this item implemented and not only that, you've even mentioned the very thing that had it removed in the first place, something that was never the intended use of the item in the first place (to my knowledge at least). Even if something is fun, it does not by any means justify something that should be done. However I do agree that the current version of the sword is fairly weak and does need a buff to some extent and maybe a better location placement, but the old version would be a disaster for normal gameplay.

You aren't using it in a fight necessarily, but you are however using it to unfairly catch up to people who've already worked for their ability to "escape" or that same person may end up using that grapple to get away themselves like a coward but without any effort whatsoever. Nobody should have to join a server just to run into an incredibly broken so called "feature". It's called a first impression, you can want to try out a game but if so many ridiculous things happen within your first moments of trying out the game, then that said "noob" has every right to leave and go off to another server. Not only this, all the items in the MineZ xp shop are really poorly priced with how expensive they are and most old donors have grapples already while most old players have loads xp as well or have methods to get lots of xp quickly, something many newer players would not be aware of. Really, if a "noob" cared about having fun, they wouldn't waste their time trying to become the best fighter over a blockgame just to actually have decent gameplay on here, they would just move on and find something better to do with their time. In addition to this, you fail to take into account for people like myself who do not wish to go around with a clan, if I'm going to play a game then I'm going to drag a few other friends only as opposed to having my ears bleed out when everyone begins to scream over a player showing up. This isn't the nicest way for me to put this, but you can't force somebody to fully change just to have a single moment of only potential enjoyment out of a gamemode. Horizontal grappling in the end just breaks the game and for the worse at that.

Lastly, please do not tell me that this is actually going to be a possibility that is actually going to be considered. It was removed a while back and it was stated that the horizontal grappling and old simoon's song would not be brought back if I remember correctly so please don't fix what isn't broken if that is what you're hinting at.

Edit : I almost forgot to bring this up!

At the end of the day, what MineZ needs isn't more nostalgia but instead lots and lots of revamps. Lots of locations on the map need a remodel, a new mob needs to be added in to shake up the gameplay, new changes need to be made towards adding new survival based challenges or mechanics and maybe some other things too, if everyone were to only focus on the old days, then nothing ever gets done and the same mistakes are repeated once again. In my opinion, lots more can be done to make MineZ more fun and enjoyable, but implementing something horribly broken is not something that should even be slightly considered.
    ArgoArcher likes this.
  4. ACrispyTortilla Retired Staff

XP:
    170,292xp
    buff simoons, and keep it in anemos
  5. BrendanLeeT Retired Staff

XP:
    88,550xp
    I have to agree that the Simoon's Song needs a buff since it's pretty much useless at this point. I don't want to bring back one of the first versions were you could just hit a player 30+ blocks in the air just by hitting them once.

This will be a terrible idea since players with the Simoon's Song could just one hit someone and get easy loot. I would like it if they brought back the version where you need to combo them and quickly switch to the sword to launch them since you needed the skill and timing on when to do it. Not just that, it didn't always work since sometimes they may only get launched 10 blocks up and it won't be an instant death or it would just knock them back.
  6. Inferides Emerald

XP:
    181,450xp
    The current Simoon's Song compared to the difficulty of Anemos right now is really not worth it at the moment. The old Simoon's Song would definitely be a fitting prize compared to Anemos' difficulty. In my opinion they should bring the old version (the one Brendan mentioned) back.