1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Enchanting, 1.7 or 1.9?

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Jeroenhero, Apr 24, 2017.

Discussion - Enchanting, 1.7 or 1.9?
?

Do you want the 1.7 or the 1.9 enchanting mechanism?

1.7 54 vote(s) 39.7%
1.9 82 vote(s) 60.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeroenhero Retired Developer

XP:
    254,790xp
    So as you guys have been able to play Annihilation 1.9 for a week we want to get your opinions on the new enchanting system.

Let's compare the 1.7 and the 1.9 enchanting system:

1.7:
    Enchanting takes away all your levels. Lvl 30 takes less XP to reach.
    Requires 138 iron ores for lvl 30 (Or 69 for enchanter).

1.9:
    - Enchanting only takes away 1/2/3 levels, based on the tier of the enchant.
    - It will show at least one guaranteed enchant which will be applied to that item.
    - It takes longer to reach lvl 30, yet if you reach it you will have more profit.
    Requires 233 iron ores for lvl 30, 117 ores for enchanter.

The adventage of 1.9 is that once you've finally reached lvl 30, enchanting will be way faster and only requires 3 lvls every time. (Haven't got the numbers on the amount of ores for those levels.)
    But this does mean that enchanting goes way quicker. Making it pretty OP.

Last saturday JesseTheSkrub has done a sandbox test with the old enchanting mechanisms which had positive responses. What we're asking to you now is, what would you like to see in Annihilation? The 1.7 or the 1.9 enchanting mechanism?

- The Annihilation Team

2. OkeyIPullUp Regular Member

XP:
    12,604xp
    1.9 for the win, first comment always wins..
  3. Creeperker Ruby

XP:
    1,944,942xp
    I'd say 1.9 is better because it reduce the time it takes to play one match.
  4. DoAdi Regular Member

XP:
    36,512xp
    1.9 cause it's so much fun with the enchanter kit. The games are quicker and it's something new and enjoyable.
  5. SkyeZ Gold

XP:
    503,377xp
    Keep it 1.9, pvping in itsself is a pain so help us by not making it harder
  6. SimplyFireliar Regular Member

XP:
    11,425xp
  7. LegendaryMatthys Regular Member

XP:
    174,692xp
  8. Maashg Platinum

XP:
    1,439,347xp
    1.9 ( 1.8 ) of course! Enchanter is more funmy anymore.
  9. Haichao Platinum

XP:
    360,442xp
    I would generally like the game to contain more powerful enchants, but I don't like that this promotes sitting in your mines for 4 phases. Enchanter is a very powerful class and extremely hard to kill due to the XP-shield, and now that enchanting only requires 3 levels this shield will always be up.

pls nerf shield it was a stupid addition to begin with
  10. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    I'm gonna have to disagree with the other comments on the thread, and here's why:

First off, the Enchanter is beyond broken, perhaps worse than Scout. In games where I used Enchanter, I never had anything less than Full Protection IV armor with Sharpness IV and Efficiency IV. Those are just the basic enchantments, meaning there have been games where I got Depth Strider III, Thorns III, Fire Aspect, or Fortune III, sometimes on the same game. All of that achieved during Phase 3 or 4. This makes many people unkillable if played right, and makes games almost winnable every single time. The definition of a god-tier class is that "If you pick it, you will win or complete you goal" and Enchanter demonstrates the qualities of that. Its tank passive keeps it safe which erases any sort of counter-play, the enchanting passive which grants higher tier gear is broken because you can see the enchant now, and the gear you can attain in 30 minutes outmatches any achieved before.

The impact of Enchanter's new rank in-game is that many other play-styles go obsolete. I never had the numbers before, but the ones provided gives me a huge incentive to go Enchanter just for the double XP alone. Beforehand, you could get away with using Miner if you wanted to get resources for teammates or get potions and still have the bonus of reaching level 30 around the time you could build an apple and potions. Now that the new numbers are in, you will never need 400 iron or 400 gold in a single game. It's just not reasonable. The better way is to go Enchanter every single time and still end up with the ores you needed before. Furthermore, Enchanter is safer than Miner because of its tank passive which adds 3 hits to kill it. Factor in the nerf to potions and gapples, along with the rise of beacons, and Miner no longer is needed. Enchanter can go to the emerald mine with a fortune pick and get Emerald Blocks for a beacon, and then use all the levels to still have god-gear. Since Strength I is almost ineffective now (only +3 damage), Strength II is almost necessary to survive in a rush. Therefore, more gold needs to be spent, and more time must be allowed for the potions to be brewed. It is necessary to go Enchanter to save time. No more leather rushing either, as I've found it extremely ineffective for the time it is worth. Just getting full prot IV and mining for a boring half hour is more efficient than anything in Phase 2 or 3, making every game exactly the same.

Many other classes were artificially buffed or nerfed because of the changes. First of which is Berserker. Since Enchanting god-gear is now ideal and is easy to do, there is no excuse for anyone looking to win to not have god-gear when going to mid for P3. Now you could either go Enchanter at mid and survive with 3 extra hits while getting level 30 from the diamonds, or go Berserker with your god bow and enchanted gear which allows you to kill enemies from long-range. 15 Hearts is no joke with protection 4 armor. I've seen many people become invincible with the gear they got before phase 3. Eventually people will catch on and go for insane gear themselves, and feel how much power it gives you.

On to my last points, which is a refutation to some earlier comments: that the games are quicker. Yes, you CAN end the game if you have the god-enchanted gear, but a problem that many people face is that the other team has insane gear too. It doesn't help win the game when you can do at most +6 attack damage with Strength II, and with Regeneration II since gapples were nerfed. The new rushing meta is to outnumber the enemy team, because having 6 people with the same effects far surpasses 2, and there are no more OP buffs you can give yourself to win with. Rather than being able to farm a nexus before, it becomes a struggle just to destroy the team. I've seen games go for 90 minutes, sometimes three in the same day. Defense is so much more powerful now that Strength and Gapples were nerfed, and also because of the new beacon system. You can give your team Strength II so that all the leathers get a flat +6 to their damage which benefits the defenders greatly. Charging in with full protection gives you the best chance for survival, but not with their defenders also having the same thing. The idea before is that you can sustain long enough to pop their best geared players, then go for the nexus and the win. With the new enchanting system, defenders can become unkillable by countering with full protection IV and the same effects with a boss buff. There are no over-the-top effects that can trounce a full team without bringing 5 people for backup. Having the 1.7 system will weaken the defenders and allow for Strength and Gapples to be relevant again, therefore reducing game times.

Just some closing remarks and opinions here: Above I gave my unbiased analysis of balance and the implications of 1.9's enchanter and what it can do. This doesn't mean that I hate the change, I just see a problem with what it does to each game. Everyone knows that it is the most effective, and when I run it, I usually win. But right now it is just so boring to farm emeralds and redstone to get level 30 and it hinders a lot of play-styles that I used to run when 1.7 enchanting was in effect. Leather rushing for loads of damage is no longer ideal for my late-game even if I get 70 damage across the three teams. Any diamond or iron I come across may be carrying protection IV past P3-4 and at that point it is impossible to kill them. Going early-game berserker with range is no longer ideal, because I can get a guaranteed 100% 15 hearts later if I just farm level 30 seven times over. The list goes on and on, and it feels as if every play-style gets watered down because you have to go Enchanter to get the results you want. If the god-enchanting and beacon meta catches on here, a lot of approaches to games will change for the worse. Annihilation will become a game where you strictly farm and achieve the best gear before doing anything, and detaches from the interesting play-styles of invading or rushing. Everyone will catch on to how great Enchanter really is and stop doing other things.

I have two suggestions: Take away the XP-Shield and revert back to a sudo-1.9 enchanting system. Keep the Enchant visible on the enchantment table like 1.9 and revert the rest back to 1.7. This will both balance the Enchanter class to be high-risk / high-reward and get rid of the god enchant system that is still broken.
    Hinge15J, Fluffoon and Haichao like this.
  11. SkyeZ Gold

XP:
    503,377xp

Godapples were nerfed making rushing harder, so getting prot 3 helps alot
  12. plandt Platinum

XP:
    56,916xp

The shield is nerfed, you die way faster now with ENCHANTER. I would want something in between those systems, like losing half the xp levels of your enchantment (30 brings you back to 15) But you gain your xp as fast as in 1.7. What do you think about that?
  13. VictorLight Regular Member

XP:
    199,159xp
    Since the server is 1.9, make everything as it's 1.9 so no confusion may occur...
  14. slamdunker81 Regular Member

XP:
    12,641xp
  15. SimplyFireliar Regular Member

XP:
    11,425xp
    Why did you even take us to 1.9/1.10/1.11 if you won't even let us keep the key features?! Enchanting is one of them and it is for the benefit. If you use 1.7 enchanting, and our current case of PvP, then Shotbow will die faster than it is right now with no help. You tried making it 1.9 to get more people, well people also like enchanting! It is hard to go from 30 to 0 and back up again. #1.9Enchants!
    Maashg, Fluffoon and SkyeZ like this.
  16. gunso_ Retired Staff

XP:
    681,846xp
    iFireliar has a point. Since we're now in 1.9, might as well enjoy 1.9 features (except the attack delay).
    Maashg, LegendaryAlex and Fluffoon like this.
  17. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    The enchanter is buffed right now, because it has both 1.9 (which keeps it at level 27 or higher when god-enchanting) and being able to see the enchants. Through this system, I was able to attain a god-pick, sharp III sword, protection III leggings, and feather falling III boots in Phase 1 because my levels only went down by 2-3, so I could use a god enchant to get my pick, and intermediate enchants to achieve the other 3. I just happened to get lucky with the sword and boots, the pants were already showing protection III. Using these, I blew up two team's nexuses before P3 5:00 because I used assassin and waited for defense to leave. By the time there was defense, they were all leather, so I 3-shot all of them and kept mining.

This would be fixed by reverting to a partial 1.7, because all the levels at LV 30 would be used up on one enchant, making it impossible to enchant all that gear in P1. Yes, it would be easier to GAIN experience, but the LOSS would be even greater, thus nerfing Enchanter from its high pedestal right now.
    Hinge15J likes this.
  18. Radioactive_Ryan Gold

XP:
    378,645xp
    I really like 1.9 Enchanting, but Champion_Guiga does make a damn good point. It is too OP for Annihilation and enchanting should go back to 1.7(Without disabling being able to see the enchantments, preferably)
  19. 59syu Regular Member

XP:
    11,838xp
    Pro-con of 1.7 and 8 vs 1.9, 10 and 11...just my way as a player who enjoys enchanting with low levels. Just disagree or add info coz its just my opinion

btw I vote for 1.7/1.8

1.7/8 Pro:
    Fun to gamble against friends
    Easier to level up
    Can change enchanting results
    Easier to attack other team's iron/gold mines when enchanter
    Good enchant means high chance of surviving and winning

Con:
    Uses all xp up
    Cannot see results
    More dependent on PvP skills if bad enchant

1.9+ Pro:
    Enchanting uses up less xp
    Can see results
    Easy to get good enchants instead for some help in PvP because the attack damage lowered

Con:
    Cannot change results
    See the results (it's bad because you know, gambling)
    Harder to level up
    No real use in low-level enchanting anymore (I guess it's good in hamlet though)
    Enchanters get the better enchants because they get a +1 sometimes
    Easy for attackers attack enchanters mining emerald or gold (easy in hamlet or cherokee or Coastal) so that make them have to mine more xp because they have to mine more
  20. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    The 1.9 enchanting system completely changes how Anni is played. Players will spend more time in the mines during later phases meaning less combat around the map. Players will be forced to spend more time gearing to compete with Mr. Protection 4 dia. This will cause mines to become crowded making it frustrating to get ores that you need. Many players will use the gold mine for xp grinding on most maps increasing the likelihood that they will use the gold for gapples (which no-one likes). The increased tier of weapons will make leather tp rushes obsolete. I could see a lot haxulating taking place from op swords being used.

During my time playing 1.9 i have noticed the effect of the "broken enchant system". This usually happens to be a group that beats most of the other teams at mid. No different than 1.7 Anni except once they have looted through all of the "OP" gear they become unfeasible to beat even on lopsided battles. This group hangs around mid collecting more and more overpowered gear. This makes it hard for other teams to obtain diamonds and have a decent chance at defeating the dominant team. I can guarantee the use of enchanting high level gear will only worsen to the point where being a leather (Default spawn kit) will be impossible to play as mid to late game.

Keeping the current enchanting system would be a mistake and could potentially ruin the old Annihilation gameplay.
    JTGangsterLP6 and LegendaryAlex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.