1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Question Is Floating islands a dungeon?

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by ACringyWeeb, Apr 10, 2017.

Question - Is Floating islands a dungeon?
?

Is floating islands a dungeon

Yes it is 27 vote(s) 58.7%
No it isn't 19 vote(s) 41.3%
  1. jinl3e Platinum

XP:
    49,036xp
    ^^^^^ Everybody argues that it's a dungeon or it isn't.

2. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    I believe it is a dungeon, because I was introduced to it being a dungeon. Besides, it has unique end loot, lots of danger, and parkour. I would argue that the Fire Spire is also a dungeon, because it is a location with incredible danger and an end reward.
    boogaert and LittestAqua like this.
  3. Selling_Weed Platinum

XP:
    146,822xp
    I'd count it as a dungeon, but only because of the loot at the end, and all the parkour.
    LittestAqua likes this.
  4. Fridge2177 Retired Staff

XP:
    269,370xp
    As much as would like to say that it does, I don't think it does. It isn't under the dungeons category on the wiki and if you make one spire a dungeon do you count the rest as dungeons? Probably not
    LittestAqua likes this.
  5. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    I mean, following that logic it isn't, but the dungeon isn't the spire, it's the islands. The other spires could be excluded because they don't present challenge at all, and are more of locations, but each of the others have challenges. It used to be in the wiki, but someone removed it from the dungeons category. Even though it might not be, it always will in my heart. Besides, many people still say "I'm gonna do floating islands" which resembles the old talk of it being a dungeon back in the day. Just my opinion though :D
    LittestAqua and oliv111 like this.
  6. xLeCoolMmeePig Regular Member

XP:
    101,408xp
    its difficult so i consider it a dungeon, a dungeon doesnt have to be liket youre trapped in unless u log out or complete all the challenges in it
    LittestAqua likes this.
  7. bajunga Platinum

XP:
    4,092xp
    No... it used to be classified as a dungeon but the loot is not really unique anymore
    LittestAqua likes this.
  8. Aexon Regular Member

XP:
    18,382xp
    I don't consider Floating Islands as a dungeon : no loot room, no legendary.
    Waiting for Mychon and Lomrun !
  9. spolendina Emerald

XP:
    175,586xp

bad
  10. Mychon Obsidian

XP:
    106,374xp
    It is a spire not a dungeon, it was first introduced as a location and known as the earth spire. Spires cannot be confused with dungeons. If floating island would be a dungeon, the water spire and air spire should also be a one. I honestly do not understand why some people would consider this a dungeon. If anything challenging in minez would be considered a dungeon then you would also have to see Sundawn Observatory as one. Besides, official dungeons have a lootroom with dungeon chests and a legendary dispencer. If the creators of the game intended floating islands as a dungeon they would of added dungeon_out chests to the top island and not mil_mythic.
    FelixFB, Fluffoon and SgtScorpion like this.
  11. bajunga Platinum

XP:
    4,092xp
    I like this man ^
    Mychon likes this.
  12. whosblumiere Regular Member

XP:
    113,796xp
    What Mychon said; essentially the loot has some correlation with other associated Spire loot. (i.e. feathers/bones/rotten flesh/etc.) It's quite obvious that the Floating Islands appears to be the keepsake of the Earth Spire due to the obsidian/glowstone build seen in the area. I can see why you think that Floating Islands is a dungeon - it's quite challenging, has a linear form of travelling to the top, abundance of pigmen, a "reward", etc. Hell, there's even official speedruns of the place. However, with it's lack of a proper dungeon chests (FL consists of military) and a fitting loot room for it's trials, I don't consider this a dungeon. Spire if anything.
    LittestAqua, Mychon and SgtScorpion like this.
  13. Lomrun Platinum

XP:
    209,777xp
    Fire spire = not a dungeon
    Water spire = not a dungeon
    Wind spire = not a dungeon
    Earth spire = not a dungeon

Floating islands = a dungeon x)

But serious though, the ethical question of what defines a dungeon is the problem. People consider a dungeon when it has:
    -A legendary dispenser
    -A loot room (dungeon out / in chests)

But mount therum, thieves guild etc don't have a legendary dispenser. But yet we still consider them as a dungeon.
    But overgrown tomb doesn't have dungeon out / in chests. Heck darnies practice dungeon doesn't even have dungeon in / out chest. That one chest next to the cake is a common chest. Also Axis Mundi has 4 dungeon out chests, but we don't consider that a dungeon acording to the wiki. What is that about?

The argument that dungeons must have a dungeon in / out chest before it can be classified as a dungeon or else the dev's wouldn't place them is not a valid one. As the name of darnies is named darnies DUNGEON. The devs did intended to classify it as a dungeon, even when they don't give out dungeon or in chests.

Also you guys are forgetting that floating islands doesn't has spire chests, but floating Island chests. While fire, water and wind all have the spire versions of the chest. (You can find this in the wiki) Meaning that floating islands indeed has an unique loot room.

To summarise, in my opinion floating islands is indeed a dungeon. The arguments that people are using when something is classified is a dungeon is clashing with dungeons which we do call a dungeon. Meaning those get invalid. Untill we set the rules of the ethical question on when a dungeon can be called a dungeon, this debate will never be solved.
    JTGangsterLP6 and LittestAqua like this.
  14. BurnedApplePie Platinum

XP:
    156,588xp
    "Heck darnies practice dungeon doesn't even have dungeon in / out chest. That one chest next to the cake is a common chest."

I'm pretty sure that chest next to the cake is a dungeon_in chest, not that that changes anything.

I do not think that floating islands is a dungeon.
    I think a dungeon is an area or place that the build-team made with the intention of it being a dungeon, if that makes any sense.

(i messed up on the quote)
    MTrout, Mychon and LittestAqua like this.
  15. Mychon Obsidian

XP:
    106,374xp

Floating islands is the earth spire
    LittestAqua likes this.
  16. FreeCookson Platinum

XP:
    3,771xp
    I would consider fire spire and floating islands dungeons but not Underground spire or water spire since they have no challenges in them to qualify them as dungeons. At floating islands, there's an end goal of getting to the top which requires you to do some parkour and figure out the correct routes. Fire spire has an end goal of getting to the top and requires you to go through a parkour challenge as well.

So its a dungeon because it has an end goal of getting to the top islands and it has challenges thrown at you along the way. I think its safer to call it a dungeon than town because it doesn't really fit the description of a town. Also unique loot/rewards for those who make it to the top seems more dungeonish than townish.
  17. 66tee Retired Staff

XP:
    41,653xp
    The spires are not dungeons to me but it depends on your definition. The general idea is that the spires are not towns. They are lore based locations meant for gearing and world building each with their own goal. While the floating islands are definitely difficult places to visit, so is the castle part of byesford, and other places of the map. In the end, I would make it more akin to a younger brother to dungeons, not with as high of difficulty and with less loot, but still challenging none the less and a unique part of the game.
    LittestAqua likes this.
  18. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    Could be fixed by changing wording ripped from WOW such as 'Raid' and 'Dungeon'.
  19. The_Pumpkin_King Regular Member

XP:
    9,742xp
    I always thought of floating islands as a town, but after looking at the loot and how to get it, Floating Islands meets my criteria for a dungeon.
  20. jinl3e Platinum

XP:
    49,036xp
    tbh it's getting no where since a lot of people are saying yes and a lot of people are saying no. Maybe if admins like Mychon respond to this. Some other people also have good points