1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Other On Ghostcraft

Discussion in 'GhostCraft' started by Wun, Oct 19, 2016.

Other - On Ghostcraft
  1. Wun Gold

XP:
    109,844xp
    This thread is late. Incredibly late. I should've made it back before the entire community centered upon this game crumbled and faded, but it never occurred to me. So here I am, anyways. I'd call this a goodbye thread, but it seems pointless to say goodbye to something that's already gone. So, this is going to be more of an analysis and history of my time playing Ghostcraft.

By the time it disappared, I had been playing Ghostcraft for over two and a half years. I was never the best at the game, but I played it with such frequency that I became reasonably skilled. So, what was it that made it such a fun game for so many of us? On the superficial level, the game was simple, enjoyable, and quick. It was easy to play casually, unlike many of the newer Shotbow games. It seems difficult to measure, but the game was also influenced much more greatly by skill rather than something else, which is a trait I see less and less in games today. However, the game itself is not what made it enjoyable, but rather the community. Over my two and a half years, I met so many people that enjoyed the game as much as I did. [IMG]This was, as I see it, the "golden age" of Ghostcraft. Servers were populated, friends were made, and everyone was happy. So, what happened?

Well, a legitimate issue was that many of us, and it feels weird to say this, grew up. The game never got old, but we did. People had less and less time to play the game, and so population declined. One of the other things that made Ghostcraft special was the amount of staff that played the game themselves, and made the experience a whole lot of fun for everyone. At the same time, many of these staff members either took hiatus, became less active, or quit. The result was the sad, slow death of the game.

The Shotbow staff say that the bugs that were present in more recent versions just "appeared" one day without explanation, and that's a possibility. Either way, though, the game became buggy and less playable. Some content updates also made the game more complicated and confusing, taking away from the beautiful simplicity the game had. Eventually the last few people who played the game lost the motivation to keep going, as did apparently the developers. Who can blame them?

Now comes the real fluff. I'd like to thank every person I've ever played Ghostcraft with. It was fun. I'll name a few of these people that I can remember specifically, but it's been so long I'm bound to leave off many.
    • Trnaile (Arrow_Borne) - It was always a pleasure to see you around. You were a fun person, it's sad I haven't seen you more recently.
    • metri (metriusmaximus) - You had a sense of humor oddly similar to my own, plus, if memory serves, a great beard. It was because of you that I bothered to learn how to play my favorite class, Hunter. Thanks.
    • Dudekillerman - Always destroyed me when I was ghost. Fun times.
    • KrissyKristen - One of the strangest people I've ever known. Pretty sure you corrupted my browsing history permanently with some links.
    • Luxray (burpigwet) - You I still see frequently, but I should probably mention you too. Thanks for being one of the few people who played Ghostcraft from the moment I joined up until the end with me.
    • ntalaja - Just too good at the game. I can't say anything. Too good.
    • norwayjump - Keep spamming that homingbow!
    • Coppinator - I hated you, and I can't seem to remember why. Either way, arguing with you made me a better person, and I can really see that in retrospect. Thanks.
    • MasterOfCereal - I stopped seeing you around towards the middle of my time here, but talking to you was fun. One of the few people that bothered with grammar on the internet. Thanks.
    • TheKitty - Great times were had by all.
    If any of you (or any of the dozens of other people I knew) end up reading this my some miracle, you can add me at "Wunderpus_" on Skype or "Hex#1620" on discord.
    And, lastly, I need to apologize. I'm sorry because I wasn't able to save Ghostcraft. I'm sure that sounds stupid reading it, but I really tried. You would not believe the lengths I've gone to to try and keep the game around. I even thought about rewriting the game from scratch, but I quickly realized I wasn't able to make the time commitment. If I ever actually do it, I'll let you know.
    So, that's my autopsy thread about Ghostcraft. It was fun, once. I doubt it's something that can ever really be resurrected though. My biggest regret here is that I never really tried to stay in contact with anyone here, and in doing so I really forwent the primary thing that made Ghostcraft great.
    Stanley just stood there doing nothing at all. He seems to think I have nothing better to do with my time than to sit around and describe every fascinating little detail of his inability to do anything. This is why Stanley and I are on such good terms.

2. Ripdog1 Platinum

XP:
    56,299xp
    I just happened to come across this page after searching Ghostcraft, and I noticed me in the picture :stuck_out_tongue: I do miss the old days of the game and wish we could play one more game together...
    Wun likes this.
  3. Pinecrafter333 Silver

XP:
    18,606xp
    I've come back here to the forums once in a while to see if the game ever came back or would ever. At this point I've come to the same conclusion; it won't. I played ghostcraft in its early early days and am sad to know I'll never get to hear that glorious pig growl before being murdered instantly ever again. To everyone in the community of GC, thank you so much for the great years. Even when the game had problems, like those awful water particles, you are what made the game great. I remember playing with you Wunder and just having a great time. The good old days of the mumble group. It was awesome. Thank you all.
    pokepeople01 and lnfuse like this.
  4. Minercobweb Regular Member

XP:
    18,289xp
    I miss it. I really do. This was the best Minecraft mod in my opinion. It was so much fun. I honestly miss it. RIP. Huge part of my history. The community was fun and even though I was an absolute jerk (which I'm sorry for), I still had people who I would consider my friends and had a lot of fun playing with them. See ya around guys. Twas fun.
  5. NotMike15 Emerald

XP:
    22,923xp
    ^ That guy knows what he's talking about :wink:
  6. oshiimine Platinum

XP:
    111,511xp
    Shameless self promotion eh?
  7. akitaboy2 Regular Member

XP:
    2,995xp
    i miss the old gang
  8. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    I see im not mentioned...
  9. sumbichesyo Platinum

XP:
    540,286xp
    What did happen to Ghostcraft though, it was fun
  10. Hingey Platinum

XP:
    863,715xp
    I guess developers neglected it during an update. Sucks i had tons of xp into that game.