1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion 1.9 "update"

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by TheHandsomeArrow, Jan 30, 2017.

Discussion - 1.9 "update"
  1. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    Just as a disclaimer, I've lost faith in Shotbow a long time ago. How badly they mutilated 1.9 is no exception.
    So Shotbow decided to... "update" to 1.9 soon, but instead of actually accepting change in the updates, they try as hard as they can to revert it back to previous versions, instead of simply staying at 1.7/8.
    If you aren't going to accept change and attempt to reverse an official update, don't update the server at all.

Edits after the fact, after I've calmed down a little and read it over.
    Yes, I stopped playing Shotbow a long time ago, and maybe I should of posted something then, but it's not relevant to this thread. I COULD NOT have posted this a long time ago. This was posted after connecting to Shotbow after almost two years and seeing th at nothing had really been changed, then switching tot he beta.
    The quote "Don't update the server at all" is referring to the native version of Minecraft itself, not the server. That could have been more clear.
    The "Simply staying at 1.7" comes from a standpoint of a player. Not a developer. There ma y be technical boundaries that 1.7 has that 1.9 might fix, such as data limits and errors. That being said it comes from the lack of understanding of why they're trying to cover 1.9's new features (Shield, attack cooldown, and other such things) like a bad facelift. This has been explained by a staff member that they're simply doing this until they figure out what to do with these features. While I won't play much on the server in its current state, especially seeing how absolutely dead the server is compared to any other point int he server except for launch. (About 300 players when I got on in mid-afternoon) and my favorite game mode (MineZ2) has either been removed completely with a spot in the lobby still lingering or just not working correctly. I will drop in after the dust of 1.9 settles and they get everything working the way they want it to.

2. Hollow_Leg Platinum

XP:
    259,108xp
    That isn't even really the point of updating
  3. jinl3e Platinum

XP:
    49,036xp
    If you lost faith in shotbow, bring your faith to something more fun, you lost it a long time ago? wouldn't you have post this " a long time ago"

Hear that fellas? stop the updating right when we are about to be finished updating. R.I.P
    If you don't like how shotbow is changing then leave and play something else. I don't get this though, you want the update to just come out? even though there is millions of bugs that we shouldn't fix?

-Aquaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :heart:
  4. Athys Platinum

XP:
    279,640xp
    This is not true. Shotbow will be embracing new game mechanics introduced in 1.9+ and incorporate it into our games. We are still discussing how to further implement features such as shields and elytras in certain games. The 1.9 update itself , simply put, is to update the entire network so that we may embark upon updating all of our games to incorporate the new features. That said, the 1.9 update does not add much new features other than numerous bug fixes and slight changes. After 1.9 is when the major updates come.
  5. Litnetti Emerald

XP:
    129,775xp
    inb4 elytras become minez legendaries
  6. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    Alright, I suppose that can be understood, but I still find the down-right removal of attack cooldowns and making the shield a rather porrly integrated after-thought it games like Annihilation seem odd to me. I came back to shotbow recently looking around the main server finding various things either broken when they didn't used to be (MineZ 2) or just untouched from over a year and a half. I thought maybe the Beta was better and it was more or less what I expected, only a few games and a new lobby (Which I will admit looked fine.) Then I go into the Annihilation lobby and read that a lot of the features were obviously being covered up like a shoddy face-lift. (Attack cooldown, shields). At least you give very vague explanation to a question I wasn't really asking. Point being it's nice to hear staff say something relatively productive,
  7. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    I see you like to take individual lines out of context.
    That quote was made specifically in the idea that "If you're going to try and make a server back to the way it was in a previous update under 1.9, update the server in the version it's already in". Perhaps I didn't convey that quite correctly but you're simply trying to manipulate the quote.
  8. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    Mind elaborating? I just don't quite understand what you mean, very vague.
  9. Athys Platinum

XP:
    279,640xp

First of all, the beta server is not representative of the current status of the 1.9 update, rather it's a small glimpse from our status a couple months ago. From what I know, we are 99.99% done with the update and the final product is supposed to be different and more fluid than what is seen on beta. Don't quote me on this since I myself am not allowed onto the 1.9DEV servers to test out the newest additions. I know it seems rather odd that we decide not to publish the newest changes directly to beta and have players test it, but I suppose internal bug testing works just as well. I can't really give you a solid answer as to why this path was taken, it wasn't within my control but it's the reality of the situation.

I understand your immediate confliction when it comes to how new 1.9 features such as shields, cool-downs, etc can even be included in our games, most prevalent being Annihilation. As of now, a lot of new ideas and discussion is revolving around how we are able to incorporate new mechanics and keep the same gameplay experience. I can guarantee you that at some point after 1.9, a minor change may occur that could potentially alter the "feel" of Annihilation. It was much like the transition from Anni Beta to Anni 2.0 where a new rank system was introduced along with new Wither Bosses, and more. I would imagine that Post 1.9 Anni, and for the purposes of this post we'll call this update Anni X, would be something similar. So, let's say 4 months have passed since 1.9's release. Anni X is pushed out and it includes brand new features from, of 1.9, such as elytras, new potions, new blocks, etc. All of which have the potential to be included as new abilities for new classes and other mechanics within Annihilation itself.

Now there's one question I still have not gotten to, what about 1.9's Combat System? As mentioned before, we attempted to mimic a similar PvP system seen in 1.7 by removing cool-downs along with delayed critical hits. The overall outcome was a half-satisfactory PvP experience, but of course, it was not perfect. The overall "lesson" I guess is that the new PvP system we've created for 1.9 will not perfectly resemble 1.7 nor 1.8, however, it's not as counter-intuitive as 1.9. Moreover, we tried to our best extent to create a system that resembles a competitve PvP style. This is not to say that the 1.9 system will be completely omitted from Shotbow! We do have ideas to incorporate it into games like Slaughter and see how the 1.9 system works when it comes to a PvE environment rather than a PvP environment.

Hopefully I was able to hit all of your points, I know you mentioned shields (of which were originally meant to resemble the right-click sword block, but since then has been removed if I recall correctly), but I "incorporated" that into the above section. Feel free to reply with more questions or concerns.
  10. Wun Gold

XP:
    109,844xp
    So, you're sure that the update is a) almost finished and b) very "different" and "fluid" based on never having seen it? All I get from this is that you're as clueless as to how things are going as we are. That it would take this long to update plugins for a server that has been updated for years is indicative of either lack of foresight or lack of invested time. Can anyone be blamed? Maybe, I can't say.
    CoastinJosh and DutchSurvivor like this.
  11. Micatchu Platinum

XP:
    323,927xp
    I'm not supposed to quote you, but I really hope this is right, then it can't be long now. I have zero plans to desert shotbow, but it's a fact that "the waiting" really holds me back from playing (MTA). My spirit to play 1.8 is just gone cause of changes in 1.9. And on the beta server it's just too lonely.

I would much more prefer to move to a slightly buggy 1.9, then to dwell in the past. When 1.8 went live last year it had numerous bugs, didn't stop anyone from playing then...
  12. Hollow_Leg Platinum

XP:
    259,108xp
    Based off of what I remember reading from the original, the point of updating is to include new features from 1.9, 1.10, and 1.11. Combat features frkm 1.9 aren't completely thrown out, as I have heard of plans to include them in other gamemodes. And there are still shields.
  13. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    Yes but the shields were made that they aren't really " shields" anymore and more of basically the same thing as sword right click, which was utterly useless. And as of _now_ though it's been said that the 1.9 update isn't done and they're still tossing around ideas, they've tried as hard as they can to give 1.9 a bad face lift, trying to make it feel like they never updated.
  14. __VanillaBean__ Regular Member

XP:
    11,557xp
    How was 1.9 counter-intuitive? It introduced basic timing and strategy that the "git potiun, spam clik" PvP of the old Minecraft versions never hit. Honestly 1.9 was more "Productive" than any PvP update to date.