1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion #MakeAnnihilationGreatAgain Kit Rework Suggestions

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by pokeminer9999, Nov 25, 2016.

Suggestion - #MakeAnnihilationGreatAgain Kit Rework Suggestions
?

Is this good for Annihilation?

Yes 15 vote(s) 60.0%
Yes, with some changes 7 vote(s) 28.0%
I don't care either way 2 vote(s) 8.0%
No 1 vote(s) 4.0%
This is really bad 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. pokeminer9999 Platinum

XP:
    203,980xp
    Warning!
    This thread is really long!
    Please, if you can, take the time to read through it.
    Also feel free to point out any mistakes.

#MakeAnnihilationGreatAgain

Introduction:
    I have played Annihilation every day since it came out, I earned every class and had some pretty impressive stats (before the stats got wiped). I spent many hours thinking about the kit ideas, reworks, and the balancing of the game in general. I have learned a lot about what makes a game fun through experiences with making my own table top games. I was one of the many people who quit Annihilation and Shotbow in general this past year, the drastic decline in players cannot be blamed on people getting too old, it happened all at once in an obvious pattern after many of the changes to this game. I left for many months, and I have returned to try to have the same fun from the game now as I did back in the day. I have made this thread in my last hope to save this gamemode, not by reverting everything to the way it was, there are many things I love about Annihilation now that were not as good in the past, and there were somethings that were good in the past that are not fun now. And there are somethings that I will be suggesting that have never been in the game, and are worth a try.

For a while now I have talked about the problems Annihilation has right now, and one of the main problems it has is with the kits and balancing. This may be a large thread, but if you care about annihilation and the balancing of this game please read through all of it, especially if you want to give criticism. I also encourage any criticism of my ideas, I want to make Annihilation into the best game it can be.

In this post I will be giving suggestions to rework kits that see almost no play, buff kits that see some play but still need a boost, revert kits to their older versions that were better in their previous states, and keep some kits the same that are already fun. The main problem I see with balance is that the most popular or strong kits get nerfed to balance the game, and it is rare that any classes ever get buffed, this has caused annihilation to become a nerf war; a battle of near useless kits. The new kits are not fun or interesting enough for players to want to buy, and for those who own them they are not fun to play. This has also upset the balance of the game by making scout the only viable kit for almost every task in the game, except for defense and preparation, because the kits that help you with that have been mostly buffed since the start of annihilation. Scout is not overpowered in my opinion, every other kit is underpowered, scout is the only class that is useful. If I want to pvp in leather I go scout, if I want to rush mid I go scout, if I want to rush mines I go scout, If I want to strength rush I go scout, because no other kit helps with strength rushing. Game balance is all about relative power, scouts strength comes from its power relative to other classes, if all of the other classes are weak, then scout is relatively strong. My suggested kit reworks should make other classes fun and interesting while also keeping them quite simple.

Things I like about new Annihilation:

I will be criticizing new annihilation a lot (new annihilation being the current game state), so I will dedicate this section to softening the blow. Annihilation has come very far from where it started, there are many changes that Shotbow has made that I enjoy: Not dying when you change classes, giving Farmer a use, making civilian start with stone tools, adding builder class, adding defender.

Main Criticisms of new Annihilation

I do not like how Shotbow prevents strategies. People will always find fun ways to use a kit to their advantage, a kit should not necessarily be designed with a complete idea of what is possible with it, it is up to the player to find interesting ways to use the abilities and resources given to them and to create strategies with those abilities. Some examples of this are Transporter, Riftwalker, Swapper, Engineer, and many more. I do not think that any kit should be allowed to be extremely over-powered, but I do not think that any form of strategy should be shut down because it is effective. It is a faulty way to approach game design. Inbalance makes the game interesting, and the easiest way to balance the game without shutting out strategy is to make every class open-ended so that players can invent strategies with those classes.

Also, I do not like how strength has been nerfed, When I am warrior with a sharp IV diamond sword and strength 2 and I cannot one-shot a leather, there is a serious problem. Nerfing strength didn't solve the problems with rushing, now you need god apples or a clan to rush successfully, now rushes either fail horribly or are unstoppable. Before it was nicer because people could do a 14 man clan splash strength rush but it didn't matter because it was overkill, it wasn't a requirement to rush successfully so a solo player or a group of two could still rush successfully back then.

I do not like the reworks that have been made to some of the kits in annihilation: Healer, Engineer, Hunter, Bloodmage, Riftwalker, and Vampire. First off, Vampire was completely fine and saw enough play in its old state, I loved it and found it to be very strong and useful. I enjoyed the older versions of these classes because they did not have a single use ability that had a cooldown, those kinds of abilities are not fitting in this game, and are not fun at all. These kits were reliable and open-ended and many strategies could be made out of them. Vampire had a reliable heal, even in the day time when it was weak, Healer would subtly heal all of your nearby allies at mid or in rushes without risk, Engineer could make cool traps that could stop strength rushes and with redstone there were many new possibilities for strategies, with Hunter you could have a pack of wolves following you around mid helping to claim it for your team or defending you while you mine, Bloodmage had a toggle ability that could be turned on and off at any time and it served as a strength rushing kit. Riftwalker made many interesting strategies, and made people want to play for easy xp and quick games, and now with better defensive classes it wouldn't be as strong as it was before. I still think some buffs can be made, but I think we need to solve one problem at a time.

In general I do not like the direction of the design for the game, essentially everything gets nerfed, and the game has become very restricted, there are so many fun strategies I could have used in the past that are not possible now. Even if the game is more balanced, it is not fun, and the huge decline of the playerbase after the aforementioned changes to Annihilation had been made should have been a huge clue. I am one of the regular Shotbow players who left, and this is the reason why I and many others left.

Reworks/Buffs/Reverts:

Remember that strength is relative, so you may remember old kits like Riftwalker or Bloodmage being OP, but I am suggesting reworks for all classes, so these kits would not be as strong as before.

Kits that need to be reverted to a previous version:

Riftwalker
    Riftwalker needs to be reverted to its release state, it should be able to rift into the opponents nexus. Although this is powerful it requires great teamwork and team-coordination, during the time that riftwalker was strong I saw the most well organized team I have ever seen in Annihilation, they deserved to win because they coordinated so well and worked together so well. And it honestly will not be as strong in this meta as it was because the amount of defensive classes, and the buffs to defender I am suggesting.

Assassin
    Assassin needs to be reverted to when it was invisible for 8 seconds and when it had haste II, Assassin was great for mining the enemies nexus, and all strategies involving it revolved around mining the nexus and they still do. Developers of a game should not be so forceful with their ideas of what kits should be. I think Assassin was more fun and more useful in its older state.

Bloodmage
    I think Bloodmage was legitimately Overpowered, there is no question. However, at that time strength was actually useful. I think strength should be slightly buffed from where it is now, and bloodmage should heal only 1/2 a heart or 1 heart on each kill, and we can see how good it is in this new meta. You could also look into ways of making bloodmage more vulnerable to opponents with strength, so there is a counter to it.

Engineer
    I think engineer was more useful then than it is now. The ability to make traps was unique, and although it was not played very often I think it was underrated and had potential.

Healer

I did not see any problem with old Healer, it was very useful, and I enjoyed using it. I think supportive classes in general are not played very often because there is not xp or reward to gain from using these classes. I think an assist bonus should be added to supportive classes that grants xp for assists.

Hunter
    I think old Hunter was incredibly underrated. It was one of my favorite classes, and had many uses that I outlined above.

Spy

I think spy needs to get its backstab bonus back, spy is fun, but it isn't very useful. Its only strength is as an assassin class, I think that strength needs to be brought out with a buff.

Vampire

Vampire was one of the few kits in annihilation that I considered to be good. It was another one of my favorites. It was the coolest class in appearance, theme, and powers in general. You had nightvision which looks swag, you would make a crazy drain sound that sounded so cool, and it created a large skill gap between you and your opponents, if you were vs bad players you could do really well, if you were against good players it wouldn't help you very much.

Warrior
    Warrior was the backbone kit for all new players to fall back to. It was strong enough to deal with scouts, because it could fight scout, however it could never catch a scout. I think Warrior was perfect the way it was with a knockback 1 stone sword. having a wood sword plus the passive gives it the equivalent to a stone sword, which every pvp class like Thor and Pyro starts with, however unlike Thor and Pyro, warrior has no special abilities. Its frenzy is bad because it makes warrior into a double-edged sword class that is super risky. I think Warrior needs to be reliable, because it really gave strength to the common player.

Kit Buffs:

These are additions to existing kits and no aspects should be removed unless stated, for example: "Replace X with Y because blah blah blah"

Acrobat:
    Constant increase of speed by 20%. This will increase movement speed by 20% without granting speed 1, this will allow the acrobat to get speed 1 and have 40% increased movement speed, and with speed 2 the acrobat will have 60% increased movement speed. I think this will help acrobat keep up to scout in terms of speed, and create new strategies with classes that give speed I, or with using speed II pots to travel insanely fast. Also, it sounds really fun and I would definitely play it a bunch.

Tinkerer:
    Allow tinkerer to make more types of pads out of different kinds of blocks. Gold blocks will give haste 1, Emerald blocks will give regeneration 1, and Diamond blocks will give resistance 1. And, to prevent griefing, whenever one of these pads is broken the block goes back to the tinkerer's inventory.

Farmer:
    When farmer plants and grows nether warts in soulsand the netherwarts will be grow like the wheat where when you harvest it, it replants itself and regrows slowly. Also when you break fully grown netherwarts there will be a small chance of dropping potion loot.

Bard:
    Increase the range of the effects, and make the effects constant while the music is playing. However, only allow one buff or debuff playing at a time.

Wizard:
    Reduce the cooldowns on all of the abilities. I like the concept of Wizard, it should have the cooldown cast abilities that I said I do not like on other classes. However, I think the cooldowns should be reduced heavily so players do not have to sit around waiting to use their class.

Alchemist:
    Increase the effectiveness of potion effects +1. For example: Speed 1 on an alchemist will be speed 2, and speed 2 will be speed 3.

Thor:
    Every time you kill an opponent call down thunder that deals 2 points of true damage (1 heart) to all enemies in a 5 block radius. This will make Thor "More resilient when surrounded by enemies."

Pyro:
    Slightly increase the duration of the on-hit fire effect.

Defender:
    Give resistance 1 when around the nexus, but do not spawn with chain chestplate.

Full Reworks:
    The top paragraph will give my explanation for the rework, the next paragraph will have the full information of the kit.

Spider:
    Spider is the most useless class currently, I have found a fun strategy with it and I am planning on making a video out of it, but the core strength of the kit is non existent.

Always have the ability to climb up walls freely, without vines. Have a small chance to poison enemies whenever you hit them, and be able to move through cobwebs freely. You will spawn with a gold sword, a wooden pickaxe, a wooden axe, 6 cobweb (When broken they return to your inventory).

Berserker:
    I like the concept of berserker and I use it now, but it needs a few buffs to its numbers to make it more viable. The numbers I am suggesting may seem ridiculous, but hear me out, Annihilation needs tank classes. With this buff berserker would be a great kit for late in the game and bad early in the game. Being able to get 20 hearts will make it better for getting good gear and staying alive, but only getting 1/2 a heart per kill will make it much harder to gain momentum early. I think these balances the pros and cons to this class well.

Start out with 14hp (7 hearts), every kill you gain 1hp (1/2 heart), maximum of 40hp (20 hearts). Always take greatly reduced knockback from enemies. Start with stone sword, wooden pickaxe, wooden axe, and healing 1 potion.

Mercenary:
    Mercenary is used less for its purpose of support and more for solo killing and assassinating people with good gear. I want to give it more flexibility and a new purpose. It can also serve as a tank class in annihilation.

Have constant 10% reduced damage (Kind of like resistance 1/2, if that existed). Also, make all enemies in a short area around you take slightly increased damage (This should stack with multiple Mercenaries).

Sniper:
    Sniper's main problem is not being useful later in the game. It does not have any passive or bonus that applies to better gear, only to its bow that it spawns with. I want to make Sniper more like a sniper and less like an archer.

Give Sniper a separate item that allows them to toggle arrow types that will be shot from any bow they shoot. Assassin arrows increase damage by 25%, and suppression arrows do the same thing they did before. Whenever you pull back your bow gain extreme slowness effect to decrease FOV giving a zoom and preventing movement. Also, make arrows travel further and in a straight line (I know that this is possible).

Dasher:
    The name is confusing based on its intended use, and it has potential to be really fun, however having to eat food after each dash makes it really really really annoying. Losing food after each dash should be completely removed from this class.

Make it live up to its name, gain permanent speed 1. Whenever you dash and land in a block get teleported back to where you dashed from, but still take damage from it (this will make dashing less risky). Do not lose food from dashing. Start with a wooden sword, wooden pickaxe, and wooden axe.

Handyman:
    Handyman is useful as it is, but it needs to be a little less strong phase 2 and stronger throughout the game. So it should have a flat chance of repairing. Also it should have constant haste to emphasize breaking the nexus, and it could also help with collecting resources.

Every time you damage your opponents nexus, you have a 15% chance of repairing 1hp your nexus. Also, have permanent haste 1. Start with a wooden sword, stone pickaxe, wooden axe, and wooden shovel.

That is the end of my reworks suggestion thread folks. If you read the whole thing thank you! Please tell me your thoughts on whether you like any of my suggestions and how I could improve these kits.

2. _Narsha Emerald

XP:
    887,472xp
    i dont know why people are spending so much time writing this since staff wont do anything and its minecraft
    iPabloCL_, Tonko921, WWII and 8 others like this.
  3. pokeminer9999 Platinum

XP:
    203,980xp
    Because I care about this server.
  4. GoldOnMyNeck Silver

XP:
    5,520xp
    Well I didn't even read it but by the looks of how much time you spent on that +1 to all ideas lmao besides the idea about bloodmage. Bloodmage was just way too overpowered ^ and will be even with the improvements
    Tonko921 and noahvr like this.
  5. _Narsha Emerald

XP:
    887,472xp
    but still its minecraft
  6. CoastinJosh Platinum

XP:
    3,056,817xp

oh honey
    Tonko921, noahvr and Ayyeee like this.
  7. drewko09 Platinum

XP:
    216,380xp
    Cause its fun no other reason needed
  8. _Narsha Emerald

XP:
    887,472xp
    ye I agree its fun to write this
    x'DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD hella fun
    Tonko921 likes this.
  9. Fluffoon Retired Staff

XP:
    451,096xp
    At least he put a lot of efforts to write actually logically sounding suggestions which should be admired and respected. I do not see anything funny about it.
    LegendaryAlex and Tonkatsu129 like this.
  10. _Narsha Emerald

XP:
    887,472xp
    I was sarcastic you should tell drewko hes the one saying its funny
    Tonko921 likes this.
  11. PurplePugs Gold

XP:
    18,261xp
    g e t t h e f u c k o u t o f m y r o o m i m p l a y i n g m i n e c r a f t
  12. FreeCookson Platinum

XP:
    3,771xp
    I like the make all the classes more useful approach more than I like the nerf all the good classes approach. Having a bunch of classes that are good is much more fun than a bunch of weak classes that don't do very much.
    Tonko921 and pokeminer9999 like this.
  13. drewko09 Platinum

XP:
    216,380xp

Thats great that you dont enjoy writing something likes this but some people may like myself
    Tonko921 likes this.
  14. HungerHealer Silver

XP:
    19,178xp
    inb4 threath lock already,

he put much time in it noone replying on his suggestions. :c
  15. TheFlame_YT Platinum

XP:
    230,567xp
    Simiply WOW. Agree with all that u said, awesome!!
  16. squallythewally Obsidian

XP:
    122,962xp
    Finally got around to reading this all and as others have said, you hit the nail on the head (see them bars fam). It's sad that very few people have taken time to actually read through all the concepts but I really hope staff do and seriously consider what you put in this because honestly, you deserve a cookie!
  17. SkyeZ Gold

XP:
    503,377xp
    PREACH YOUNG BLOOD
  18. FinlayPacks Regular Member

XP:
    8,767xp
    This is gold, perfect
    pokeminer9999 likes this.
  19. pokeminer9999 Platinum

XP:
    203,980xp
    Thanks for bumping thread :lmao:.
  20. Lomrun Platinum

XP:
    209,777xp
    Imo it looks like you just want all the classes to be really op. Then all classes be oke. Granted if all classes are op it will be balanced. But that doesn't necessarily make it better. The problem is if you want to make all the classes really op, it will be harder to balance it later on since the gap are so big between classes. Which only will enrage the community. It takes more time for the developers to code. And its more stress for the moderators. Lately what I have noticed on the forums of those who post class suggestions. They are all way, way to complicated / to op. Compared with other classes. The classes now have just something small. A little perk. While some classes now on the forums who people post have like 3 passive buffs and like 2 active buffs. While most classes in game doesn't even have 1 passive buff lol.