1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Wasted in the Coming Year Part II

Discussion in 'Wasted' started by Robertthegoat, Jul 18, 2016.

Wasted in the Coming Year Part II
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Howdy folks!

I have for you all a small update on where the Wasted team is at currently, with regards to Sandbox's successor, as promised.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussions from the previous thread (and others over the past months and beyond...); your input is greatly valued, and has shaped the course of Wasted's future. We held meetings, discussed and approved a final plan for Wasted to follow. Much of the discussion was based around input received on behalf on proposed changes to Wasted's structure, and highlights from the elements on the existing gamemode that you have categorically declared an integral part of Wasted's identity. Thus we are going to preserve the core structure, but make dramatic improvements.

There are a few details I can confirm as of right now:
    - Wasted will remain based around a structure of persisting gear across servers
    - We will not be implementing the proposed match system (what would have been likeness to Anni or Control)
    - Objectives will still remain in the game, but may undergo changes

The team is presently shifting focus to rest squarely on Sandbox's successor. Our Mini Admin team will still continue to patrol Gun Game, but you can expect no further activity with Control for some time. I apologize to those who were looking forward to Control as much as I was, but we hope to make up for it with this very special project that we are fully investing our energy in.

Again, thank you to everyone who contributed to the prior discussions. We will be narrowing down the scope of our discussions to finer details. We will continue to pull ideas and input from the forums and community. While the project will progress behind the scenes, we still wish to encourage our community members to feel a part of this project, and know with certainty that their voice is being heard.

You guys rock!

2. DutchSurvivor Obsidian

XP:
    726,831xp
    Thought about some sort of a clan/guild system for it?
    I would love it:3

Keep up the great work:heart:
    Tonkotsuramen921 likes this.
  3. Low_Ping Platinum

XP:
    204,736xp
    RIP control, but it was kinda forgotten in the excitement for sandbox. Wasted was, is, and will continue to be a game loved by the community. Even when it was down for a whole year, players did not give up hope, every week I would see encouraging messages that made me smile. I am glad to be a member of the wasted community. Good luck with the finishing touches, it is almost certain to be a great game with the team it has.
  4. VerizonMobile Regular Member

XP:
    12,234xp
  5. Eggspert7820 Regular Member

XP:
    221,001xp
    ALLELUIAH!!! ALLELUIAH!!!

Robert you have just posted the soon to be most liked post in shotbow forums history! Congrats!

I didn't care about control that much so this is super exciting!

The ONE thing I still need to know is about the team aspect being added or not?
  6. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Teams will still exist in Wasted, I can promise you that.
  7. Doctors_Hate_Her Regular Member

XP:
    13,577xp
    Greetings!

I doubt anybody remembers me, but once upon a time I was the user rstd. (I am sure you are getting traumatic memories of some whiny ass). I used to play probably from 1.5.2 to 1.7ish (when everything went to buggy-as-hell shit.).

I'm glad to see that development on this has been steady, rather than eventually getting dropped after a few months of noncommunication. Anyways, I would like to voice some of my opinions of what I want to see in Wasted 2.0/Newasted/Wasted 2: Electric Boogaloo/Wasted: The Blinding Ascent/Wasted: Plastered/Whateverthefuckyouguysarecallingit.

Map Improvements
    1. Fewer forests! I've never really liked these for many reasons. Firstly, they were often laggy. You had thousands of complex block structures with gaps in render distance, without providing much visual stimulation. Secondly, it gave anyone traveling without a jetpack hell if they wanted to cross through it to get to, say, a drop zone.
    2. More defendable towns! To extrapolate, I would like to see each -generally speaking- corner of the map to get a military-esque town. More stuff like Liberty Prison, and to a lesser extent, the Gunnison Power Plant. These towns could act as hubs for each team, spawning better loot more often (like the SCAR-H, M249, and steak/MREs.).
    3. More weird structures and towns in the wilderness! I remember being so excited when I found those weird camps in the mountains by the bridge or the oasis in the desert. Generally speaking, more map variety outside fo the towns.
    4. If you are going to add any substantial bodies of water, add rivers! (Also add boats, see below.)
    Transportation
    1. Add boats! To elaborate, you could add three types, the first two mentioned can be found in chests in coastal towns, or those connected to a river. The birch boat would be a Jet Ski. It can hold two people and function, not unlike vanilla boats, other than being faster. (The passenger can shoot.) This boat would have low health, and be second most common. The oak boat would be a Patrol Boat. It holds up to four people, the driver and gunner visible. It has medium health and has vanilla speed. Lastly, the spruce boat is a Destroyer. The Destroyer can only be found in the loot after an Air Drop objective (assuming we get those), holding up to eight players. The gunner position comes with a mounted turret and a flak cannon (see below) with 32 ammunition.
    2. Utilize the elytra! Assuming this server upgrades to 1.9 at some point in the future, this can spawn more often the jetpack in the Air Drop objective and is cheaper than the jetpack in the stores. Perhaps you could rename it to something like Experimental Glider Wings.
    3. The jetpack. (Sorry to break the pattern there.) I have heard some discussion over balancing it, here are my two cents. One, you can shoot while flying, this is fun as hell, but you cannot reload whilst in the air. "But, but, but that's not realistic!" I hear you cry. Allow me to essay a rebuttal, suck on it. Two, having to collect fuel sounds terrible and tedious. I do think that you should have to refuel your jet pack by left clicking like the old days, but finding fuel would be just awful in practice.
    I seem to have hit the line limit. Who uses a line limit? Just do a character limit and a counter in the corner. Anyways, I will continue in the next comment.
    Cahillguy and KoenigApfel like this.
  8. Doctors_Hate_Her Regular Member

XP:
    13,577xp
    Weapons & Utilities
    1. Add a flak turret! This weapon is designed to counter jetpackers. This would traditionally come in the form of a building turret, either as the slab and turret or the rampart and turret building. When in the turret you are given a weapon with a cannon-like texture and several stacks of ammunition. When you shoot the gun after a set amount of blocks, (for now, I am gonna say 30) the round will explode in a small area, doing no damage to blocks, but high damage to players. If the round impacts anything short of this range, it will explode on impact of a player, and if it hits within five blocks it does a small amount of impact damage. The round can also break windows. I cannot say how balanced this would be, but I think it would allow for people holding up in bases to stand a good chance to people on jetpacks. It can also be found in the Destroyer boat.
    2. Revamp the Engineer, and give the classes more reward for the points you sink in! I cannot suggest much for the latter as others have, but as for the former, I have a few ideas. Over my time playing, I have come to appreciate this class the most. (Because I am one of those people who play defensively.) I would suggest that, foremostly, they keep the Construction Block. It may not have proved to do much, but I loved obsessing over the details with my bases and repairing my structures. I would also like for Engineers to be able to carry structures with NO movement penalty, making building easy/fun.
    Otherwise, I really can't think of anything else to add to this category. You guys really did the weapons well. (At least if I remember correctly.)

Miscellaneous Improvements
    1. Advertise, advertise, advertise! When this update is released, the word needs to get out. Advertise it on your server, invite YouTubers to play it, live stream it. This will boost the initial popularity, and keep it going. In a similar regard, as the game gets older, we need to ensure the "pro" players ensure a welcoming mentality. Too many times I see complicated games dwindle because, even when it gets surges in players, they are scared off. See the video game "DEFCON: Everybody Dies" by Introversion Software, for example. Every few months, the game goes on a bundle sale with their games a bunch of people buys it, but they're all scared off because the game's pro community is really toxic to new players, and its player base stagnates. I don't want to see this happen to Wasted, so we need to make sure that we are welcoming and teach new players even when this game mode is ten years old.
    2. Add a wider selection of pre-fab structures! I actually recently dug up a world save with a bunch of prototype structures, so I might release it later with a photo album.
    3. Keep the old physics system! I, personally, don't see much appeal in large underground builds, and if we do stuff that goes shallowly underground, having cave-ins be an issue could give the engineer class purpose.
    That's all for now. Chances are this is filled with typos and is not clear at all, or that the devs have all their plans set in stone and this hour-or-so of effort has gone to waste. Either way, enjoy! EDIT: This website's text editor is pretty terrible, seems to randomly change fonts and font sizes.
    Cahillguy, KoenigApfel and Low_Ping like this.
  9. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Some good suggestions above - a few reiterate ideas we had planned :wink:

The only point I'll confirm personally is a reiteration of something that was stated ages ago, that being a new map is in the works.
  10. Eggspert7820 Regular Member

XP:
    221,001xp
    I mean team based objectives, capturing the other teams main base, and team being a major part of getting good.
    Tonkotsuramen921 and KoenigApfel like this.
  11. Eggspert7820 Regular Member

XP:
    221,001xp
    Boats:
    I've heard others say this before and I think there should be NO mass destruction type vehicles. I also think that each vehicle should only hold 1 passenger. It would be much easier to just use vanilla boats and make them explode when they are destroyed, like cars.

Jetpacks:
    WHHHAAAA? just make jetpacks like how they used to be.

Other than that everything seemed right!

Each team having a HUB like Liberty prison:
    I think this is one of the ideas that has been around for a long time and must be added. Here's a list of some things that I think should be or have:

-spawn better gear (scar scoped, m79, m240, lower tier Kevlar, medkits)
    -1 or 2 entrances, easily defendable with placable buildings
    -stationary turrets, better than regular turrets
    -can always respawn in that town even if there are enemys
    -a "parking lot" that has 10 cars and every 10 minutes if cars are missing it will spawn in new cars
    Tonkotsuramen921 and KoenigApfel like this.
  12. VerizonMobile Regular Member

XP:
    12,234xp
    Dont change the jetpacks to having to land to reload them. Then all jetpack combat will be is waiting for the other person's jetpack to run out.
  13. Doctors_Hate_Her Regular Member

XP:
    13,577xp
    My apologies, I miswrote. What I meant to say is that you cannot reload weapons in the air, but you can reload the jetpack.
  14. Low_Ping Platinum

XP:
    204,736xp
    I don't like this idea, I feel like wasted is more of a search around and see who and what you can find type of game. I just don't like the idea of having masses of players from a particular team gathered around a central area, it would make it impossible for other people to take that area or be there at all.
  15. Eggspert7820 Regular Member

XP:
    221,001xp
    Now that does not make sense to me. They should just be how they were before, with midair shooting for certain guns.

It is all just possibilities.
  16. Doctors_Hate_Her Regular Member

XP:
    13,577xp
    eggspert, why don't you want mass-destruction type boats? I think they would give water an interesting dynamic, making it more useful and fun to cross. And it's not like they would interfere wth the rest of the game, only areas near water. Really, I think they would work well.
  17. Eggspert7820 Regular Member

XP:
    221,001xp
    Think about the Map wasted had last. In between city 17 and hitchin, there was a strip of land surrounded by water. On that strip of land, there were TWO places for objectives. At places like that, people camping with something better than a mech would be extremely unfair, and would make those objectives avoided all the time. Just being able to shoot from the boat like cars is enough.
  18. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Artillery will take care of that nicely :)
  19. VerizonMobile Regular Member

XP:
    12,234xp
    http://minemap.net/Wasted/

As you can see there, the only area boats would actually be useful would be on the outside of the map which is not a very common place for people to want to go, or in the water area around City 17, which would cause a ton of camping.
  20. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    Mass destruction in general sounds bad for a game like Wasted, which I've discussed on previous threads.
    eggspert7820 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.