1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Tweak Headshot Rates

Discussion in 'Gun Game' started by ThgilFoDrol, Feb 6, 2016.

Suggestion - Tweak Headshot Rates
  1. ThgilFoDrol Platinum

XP:
    80,523xp
    After spending a couple of hours on the Gun Game minigame, I noticed that the chances of headshots happening seem too high. The inclusion of multiple guns with varying magazine/clip sizes and fire rates grant a significant amount of depth to the minigame- however, the high prevalence of headshots detracts from the uniqueness of every gun. This is because, (could just be me I suppose) that despite each gun's unique features, the high chance of headshots result in each gun feeling similar because each gun will generally kill the target with a headshot most of the time. As a result, this disproportional relationship between the damage per shot of each gun and the relatively constant headshot rate result in the guns feeling too similar because of the uniform time they can take to kill someone. This reduces the aforementioned depth to the game, and adds too much randomness to a direct firefight.

To alleviate the lack of depth in gameplay, what if the headshot rates were reduced? At the moment, it seems the general headshot rate is about 66% (I recorded 2771 headshot kills and 1444 normal kills, for a total of 4215 kills). This high headshot chance causes some quirkiness in gameplay, such as shooting someone just for them to turn around and one-hit kill you due to a lucky (and all too common) headshot.

Here is a graphical representation of the huge difference between the prevalence of people killed by headshots versus bodyshots, collected over a period of several hours:
    [IMG]

Just for my own curiosity I also compiled a list of headshot kills compared to bodyshot kills for each gun:
    [IMG]

In some cases, the headshot kill rate is triple that of a non-headshot kill rate. Maybe some people like the random aspect to it; just my two cents :wink:.

Complete headshot kill statistics per gun (raw output from the program I wrote to aggregate the data from the minecraft client logs):
    http://pastebin.com/tuUGruCi

Data collection #2 (8000 more kills logged, with detailed player breakdowns): http://pastebin.com/g8im2cvu

2. Hangar_Straight Silver

XP:
    77,466xp
    Yes, everytime I play the game its always like "FixThis was shot in the head by HeadshotRates" xd
  3. SimplyPotato Regular Member

XP:
    87,519xp
    Getting headshots is not at all random unless you are spraying. Every headshot I have gotten was actually aiming. Headshots are what make half of these guns actually able to kill. However, I do believe that what you are saying should be applied to weapons like the lmgs and guns like the mp5 and ak, which have a wide spray pattern. However, with guns like the mosin, scar, m16, and other guns that shoot straight, I believe nothing should be changed about those.
  4. ThgilFoDrol Platinum

XP:
    80,523xp
    To clarify, I'm not saying to change the ratios of each individual gun; but rather global headshot rates. It does not follow that headshots should happen 66% of the time- that is an amount that results in gunfights that resemble too much like russian roulette, where you're killed more often by the luck of someone else rather than the amount of bullets fired.

I was thinking perhaps reduce the chance of global headshot rates to around 25%, so 1/4 of kills are headshots (instead of 66%). I'm not sure if there are individual percentage possibilities for headshots on a per gun basis- seems fairly likely though. That being said, I don't disagree with you. Guns that are more accurate should be allowed a higher headshot chance, along with the guns that have a longer range- not so much that you'd be able to tell from the chat feed, but enough to make a difference ingame. If there is indeed an actual hitbox created by having an entity ride the player, perhaps to counteract the overwhelming rate the damage per headshot could be reduced to a less lethal amount.

EDIT: I'm not sure if the headshot chances are unique to each person (such as if they did some crazy minecart-riding-player-entity trick to create a new hitbox for headshots). Perhaps if I have time tonight I'll edit the program and collect data about each person's headshot rate- that would require a longer time to collect data though.

---

EDIT 2: Had some spare time so I made the changes that would allow the program to track headshot rates on a per-player basis (while I was at it I also had it calculate KDRs). It DOES seem to be more or less fixed at 66%, judging from how most peoples' headshot rates are somewhere between 55% - 75%.

Below is a snippet of the program output showing the similar headshot rates, located near the top of the output (format guide is the first line). I hashed all player names with SHA-1 to prevent witch-hunting/public shaming. If you want to look up your KDR or something and have played sometime within the past 3 days, refer to the bottom of this post for instructions.
    PLAYER SHA-1|HEADSHOTS (PERCENTAGE)|NORMALKILLS (PERCENTAGE)|TOTAL KILLS/TOTAL DEATHS (KDR)
    9C8F0ABC8655C9059CD9DEB2E602DD8D9859EC5A|HS: 8(66.6666666666667%)|NK: 4(33.3333333333333%)|KDR: 12/20 (0.6)
    CD12B6606FD42EAA024CC025078085A54310928C|HS: 2(66.6666666666667%)|NK: 1(33.3333333333333%)|KDR: 3/8 (0.375)
    16CCA61D61E338D5A4F1BF52CDF31DA89A8D7405|HS: 54(66.6666666666667%)|NK: 27(33.3333333333333%)|KDR: 81/76 (1.06578947368421)
    3525182EA87A65B7240C336F9B531EB614EB1503|HS: 82(64.5669291338583%)|NK: 45(35.4330708661417%)|KDR: 127/70 (1.81428571428571)
    A910E1D1C9F000B17F39C481C5CF36FA278292FC|HS: 10(66.6666666666667%)|NK: 5(33.3333333333333%)|KDR: 15/22 (0.681818181818182)

Feel free to use an online converter to obtain the SHA-1 hash of your username and Ctrl-F to find your entry in the pastebin link below. The first result when googling "online sha-1 hash" should work. Keep in mind that due to the nature of hashing, usernames are case-sensitive- that is, enter your username with correct capitalization into the online hasher if you're looking for your recent KDR.

Pastebin link to full output: http://pastebin.com/g8im2cvu
    OneTupacArmy and Cahillguy like this.
  5. 97WaterPolo Administrator

XP:
    1,056,375xp
    I am on the phone at the moment so I was only able to give this thread a glance over, but you do bring up a valid point. We should remove headshots for most of the automatic guns, especially the LMG. Currently in order for it to qualify as a head shot, you need to actually hit them in the head. The reason it might seem random is that the bullets do spread out a lot more as it gets farther out, but we are in the talks of redoing the headshots rate.
  6. 97WaterPolo Administrator

XP:
    1,056,375xp
    Just pushed out an update trying to balance the headshots, feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
  7. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    Nice to see stuff happening fast like this :D
  8. KoenigApfel Regular Member

XP:
    94,770xp
    I do not have the awesome programming skillz (yet) to code sth like the op did, so I can't really come up with any headshot rate.
    But from the time I played today it now seems much more reasonable.
    Great you guys reacted so fast
  9. Cahillguy Regular Member

XP:
    148,037xp
    In all honesty, a nerf to headshots should only be applied to LMGs. With the slower firing weapons (shotguns, rifles, pistols etc.), you should have to rely on aiming for the head to reliably get kills (especially with the AK47). However, because of the high damage output (damage/rate of fire) of LMGs, and the wide spread, it's too easy to land a headshot just by spraying in the enemy's general direction.

As for SMGs, they have the wide spray pattern and a rather high rate of fire (except MP1:cool:, but their damage is quite low. I'd say they shouldn't be nerfed either, since they're kind of like shotguns that can kill at a further range if you're lucky - you gotta aim for the head if you want to kill players reliably.
    BrassBuilder likes this.
  10. ThgilFoDrol Platinum

XP:
    80,523xp
    I tried it out yesterday and today- gameplay feels better as a result of the tweaks. Guns seem more consistent than they previously were too, and less prone to seemingly random occurrences.

If you still want the data, here it is :wink: . This set of data consists of data from today and yesterday. There's an overall decrease of average headshot rates by approximately 15%, with each gun displaying a downwards trend as well. Half the guns seem to have somewhat 1 for 1 (50/50 average headshot vs normal kill rates).

As for programming something like that, it was fairly easy- the code should be somewhat easily understandable for beginners, since I commented a fair bit of stuff. I wrote it in C# and put the code on GitHub if you want to look at it. It contains a lot of basic stuff you might see, especially for object oriented programming, such as encapsulation and abstraction.
  11. Cahillguy Regular Member

XP:
    148,037xp
    Cahillguy | HS: 254(65.8031088082902%)|NK: 132(34.1968911917098%)|KDR: 386/96 (4.02083333333333)

Dear god, I play too much of GunGame...

But this guy though:
    [REDACTED] | HS: 158(75.5980861244019%)|NK: 51(24.4019138755981%)|KDR: 209/32 (6.53125)
  12. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Further tweaks to damage may need to follow the headshot nerfs. I'm concerned that the game has become quite tanky now, compared to before. While I understand the complaint about the disproportionate headshot rate, I also believe it is important that any corrections avoid slowing the game's pace down to a point of becoming tedious. The first thing I noticed was kill stealing became a much bigger issue, as one person could hit the target player many times without killing them, being forced to reload, and subsequently having their target snatched by a teammate without much chance to react. Further input on this matter is appreciated.
    Cahillguy likes this.
  13. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    I find that the AK-47's accuracy is not reliable. Sometimes I will press shift and it will go relatively straight. But one in 10-15 games I play for the rest of the day the AK's spread is so huge, I can't hit someone 2-3 blocks ahead of me.

Also I want the old shotgun physics back from 1.7.0