1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Item Hold Duration

Discussion in 'SMASH' started by hahahahahaha, Nov 12, 2015.

Suggestion - Item Hold Duration
?

Good idea?

Yes 5 vote(s) 50.0%
No (explain?) 5 vote(s) 50.0%
  1. iCryEveryTime Platinum

XP:
    1,176,144xp
    NOTE: this is only for ranked.

Since ranked is competitive, there should be a limit to how long you can hold an item in your hand.

Why? Holding a jet-pack (or whatever) for an entire match to escape death doesn't show much skill at all. This doesn't necessarily kill the purpose of the jet-pack because anything can happen in the moment. Plus, you should have to think quick to do whatever you can with the item you have in your hand to use it in a certain timespan. After all, it is ranked. edit: ok maybe i made this thread for bows

How long? 1-2 minutes.

Thoughts?
    octodroid and OneZedArmy like this.

2. GalacticaGX Obsidian

XP:
    1,378,170xp
    It's a good idea, but I think it'll be difficult to realize.
  3. 100PercentHippo Retired Staff

XP:
    336,223xp
    This is an interesting idea, I think it would be good. I'd like to point out that most items (things like swords excluded) already come with the disadvantage of dealing only 2% as apposed to the normal 4% when you punch an opponent. Another interesting idea would be to have specific items, such as the mentioned jetpack decay over time, as that would come with the advantage of being able to use the existing durability 'healthbar' to show players how much is left.
    OneZedArmy and hahahahahaha like this.
  4. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    Items such as the jetpack should be tweaked to not work for several mins. Implementing this for all items is silly and would mean items vanish unexpectedly when users were just trying to get the best timing out of an ender eye or awesome soup. Holding onto items has its own penalties anyway, only the jetpack really needs this and tweaking the jetpack rather than all items would deal with the problem more.

Also I disagree that you should have to use items the moment you get them, some of my best skirmishes were when one or more players just picked up a fishing rod or rocket launcher and the way both players had to respond to the one holding onto that to get a good use out of it was extremely tense.
    OneZedArmy and Sam_F_Saved2Save like this.
  5. iCryEveryTime Platinum

XP:
    1,176,144xp
    you have a point. Perhaps only jet packs, ender eyes, bows, and shotbows should have this limit.
    OneZedArmy likes this.
  6. AsiatusxX Regular Member

XP:
    19,779xp
    Honestly i feel like any Recovery item in this game is just making it almost impossible to kill good players. Nowadays the few competetive Players are on the level to survive almost 10 minutes without any item, because strategies have been figured out and mastered. Depending on the Map you are playing on an item such as an Endereye can be way too OP already because if you somehow manage to "kill" a really good player he will get back onto the map and then it will take forever to get another chance to kill someone.
    What ive noticed is that EU compared to US got a very different behaviour towards these items. The Majority of Competetive Players on EU do not even use any of these items, neither a JP and Endereye or a Cloud in a Bottle, while US Players seem to have no problem holding a JP for 10 mins with no one getting a kill. I dont enjoy US ranked anymore because of that because my bad Ping there makes it impossible to do anything against that.
    Since that is part of the game i cant really complain but in my opinion some names on the Leaderboards are definetly undeserved. Camping until just one Player is left while holding a JP is not what Skill is supposed to be. Even though as an EU i cant really judge US Players but definetly not everyone on the Boards deserves to be up there.
  7. Sam_F_ Gold

XP:
    637,792xp
    I agree with you... but let's be realistic here... how long has the community been asking for this?
  8. SkeletonXF238 Regular Member

XP:
    44,303xp
    2 years. A more complicated change in the form of the suggestion on the OP which would also remove many situations wbere items are a positive thing towards finishing games is therefore probably even less likely to happen.
    OneZedArmy likes this.
  9. dillonsup Platinum

XP:
    33,685xp
    YES PLEASE DO THIS, THIS IS PURE GENIUS OF AN IDEA, but the item would only dissappear if your not over a pit
  10. Tezlashock Regular Member

XP:
    23,749xp
    I for one typically "Q" saving items excluding ender eye but the majority of the smash population doesn't care enough to put a second thought into holding a bow for 10 min. Bows are another problem in itslef...
    DrachenCube and octodroid like this.
  11. octodroid Platinum

XP:
    32,867xp
    I know this thread hasn't been very active but oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with you to some extent on this. Some of the players do just camp with jetpacks but depending on the map, you can just keep punching them off the map until their items run out. I know that in itself takes some time but its the only method I've been able to come up with and use. Most of the names on the leaderboards, (usually in the top 10) are up there because of skill. Jetpack campers are annoying but it is possible to get rid of them.

So true! I've seen some people who have mastered the 'art' of shooting themselves for an extra double jump. In the hands of those people, a bow can be worse then a jetpack. I myself sometimes keep jetpacks for a little, but not the entire game...
  12. Tezlashock Regular Member

XP:
    23,749xp
    Yeah, with a bow in my hands, I'm practically invincible :lmao:. Again, one of the reasons i don't typically use saving items in ranked.