1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion How about new maps?

Discussion in 'GhostCraft' started by NumberFiv3, May 4, 2015.

Discussion - How about new maps?
  1. Echotech Regular Member

XP:
    26,158xp
    Surely there is 13 maps to play (excluding Vertigo) but most of them are not played frequently or even at all. My suggestion is to move Smash maps plugin into Ghostcraft and fit new maps. (with survivors' amount difference per map size) Ghostcraft is really entertaining gamemode, and I hope it could be developed more. :)

I think that Carnival, Cavern, Com Tower, Haunted Ruins, Guardian [Remake], Icelock, Lighthouse, Pelnyra, Rocks and Underpass shall be publicly playtested. After the playtest, people would vote on maps they liked, and administrators would choose the maps with the highest vote percentage. If Annihilation has playtesting, why wouldn't Ghostcraft have it too? :D

Last edit happened at 8th June 2015
    TheKitty likes this.

2. metri Platinum

XP:
    662,082xp
  3. Methelin Emerald

XP:
    12,461xp
  4. Echotech Regular Member

XP:
    26,158xp
    Let's just hope it could be done after the When In Rogue update. :)
  5. MOAB4leader Platinum

XP:
    43,986xp
    Meh I like octopus it's like my best map and a map I can't lose on, so I rather keep that.
  6. metri Platinum

XP:
    662,082xp
    If I understand it right making Ghostcraft more like Smash for match joining would make it so that we'd never lose Octopus again. People could play whatever map they wanted to at any time.
    maybe then people wouldn't play so much freaking Temple
    u_know_ur_jelly and Wun like this.
  7. TheKitty Retired Catministrator

XP:
    90,682xp
    "Guardian" does not have a schematic so we can't even consider it at this time (a hint for you guys to make sure your favorite mapmakers are providing schematics!)

But thanks for making a list of some of your favorites! Do other people have favorite maps they'd like to see added as well?
  8. agent19 Platinum

XP:
    38,326xp
    These two maps should also be tested:
    Fortress-https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/fortress-a-ghostcraft-map.78583/
    Sanctum-https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/sanctum-a-ghostcraft-map.77827/

I believe that both maps have play value that at least deserves a public test.

Especially Sanctum since Kensai said it was accepted but it was never actually added
  9. superpallyon Regular Member

XP:
    54,932xp
    I think more players need to start playing before more maps. Ghostcraft is not as popular as it use to be which is very sad. :(
    Then again, more maps may bring more people!
  10. metri Platinum

XP:
    662,082xp
    If this area was touched up to be accessible from the lobby: https://youtu.be/18HOzMrH9Qc, Ghostcraft had a nice bug-fix and content update, and all this was somehow advertised (e.g. admins make announcements/shouts that they're on a newly upgraded Ghostcraft) there'd probably be more players. But the lull in players will only continue until the dev'ing is finished, which I don't think could be rushed.
    superpallyon likes this.
  11. superpallyon Regular Member

XP:
    54,932xp
    OMG thats the floating building in Vertigo!!!! :D :D :D Lol I had just beaten that today :heart: :heart:
  12. Ice_God Retired Staff

XP:
    212,924xp
    [IMG]
    I also have a second map on Vadact that I made in dedication to old Ghostcraft people I played with, but I can't download it at this time.
  13. _frostie Retired Staff

XP:
    616,157xp
    no don't remind me about that

It's too small, I'll try and make a larger version though some day it will be soon maybe
  14. Methelin Emerald

XP:
    12,461xp
    NumberFiv3 said that survivors amount will depend of map size, and there is no good gamemode without an extremely small additional map. :stuck_out_tongue:
  15. Echotech Regular Member

XP:
    26,158xp
    Fortunately tomasdipagio posted enough screenshots to present the whole map. Am I allowed to rebuild it with some changes and give credit to original map maker? :)
  16. Murante Regular Member

XP:
    935xp
    In my opinion, this all seems a bit counteractive.

Things the Gc community wants-
    •more maps (variety)
    •more players

These things practically can't be reached together

As stated in many other threads, shotbow is trying to develop way to fast. Adding to many game modes. While it may be nice for variety, it just spreads everything thin. This is the same thing. The more maps, the thinner the spread of people. Smash is a more popular game, so a lot of maps is a good idea. Anni also is popular, so voting seems appropriate. But ghostcraft is losing players, so at this point adding more maps is counter active. The main problem is discouragement, either by skill or by words. GC is supposed to be a more friendly community than it is, but there are always people who change that with opposing views or selfish acts. There for 1 are way to many servers. Split them up like this~
    Hard- only people who have played over 72 hours of ghostcraft can join
    Medium- only people who have played between 72 and 36 hours can join
    Easy- only people who have played less than 36 hours can join
    Practice- a bunch of worlds where friends can teach eachother.
    This idea poses a few problems- friends might not be able to play with eachother. A fix could be invites friends can make. Also there might not be as many players on as often. Hopefully, an idea like this would end discouragement and get more players.

The more maps there are, the more the game loses the element of that it's a team effort. Here's a simple idea for variety though- have an undetermined number of worlds. Maybe three maps are open. As soon as one fills, another map could be voted for for the people in the lobby. If a map empties or is not filled in 5 minutes, it disappears. 3 or more maps open at once. If you just have like 20 maps open, the game doesn't work with the amount of people it has. Gc is a game built on strategy, and stratagy lies within the map. Even though this might keep you from getting to a map you want once in a while, it helps pull the GC community back together. Say you always want to play on one map, you join the lobby, and it's not filled. Most people after that just leave if they only play that map.

A new person is going to be more willing to play GC if they join a large game over a smaller game, and one of which that is of their peers
  17. Deadspeck Mini Builder

XP:
    122,129xp
    could you stop typing pointless paragraphs PLEASE

back to topic: nobody has any ideas or what the standards are for ghostcraft maps are. Thats why theres not many ghostcraft maps.
    agent19 likes this.
  18. Echotech Regular Member

XP:
    26,158xp
    The new Guardian is done, thank you Subject_617 for the advices. :) https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/guardian-a-forgotten-map-with-potential-now-recreated.309580/

• ~50x50 game area Check
    • Always having 2 directions to move to encourage flow of gameplay (and discourage camping) Check (except Garden A which is a dead end)
    • Ghost perches to look down at survivors Check
    • Special ghost only shortcuts Check (not much though)
    • trying new themes/ideas (not rehashing old maps) It's a recreation of two years old map where its creator didn't add any download link
    • multilevel gameplay (balconies, second stories, rooftops) encouraged Check
    • adequate lighting Some places are dark
    • Minimal liquid blocks, but at least 1 water source for flamebow nerfing Check
    • minimal cramped spaces (so the ghost can leap) Check
    • cover in open spaces to hide behind Not everywhere
    • a mix of open spaces and tunnel/roofed in areas Check (still there is more open space)