1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Announcement ANNI 1.5 Patch: Its future is up to you.

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Vaecon, Dec 19, 2014.

Announcement - ANNI 1.5 Patch: Its future is up to you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurtherThanDan Retired Staff

XP:
    334,813xp
    It's been a few days and about a week since we released our Annihilation 1.5 patch notes. There has been a lot of feedback and suggestions since.

I wanted to start off this post thanking Murgatron and DoxNotch for spending a lot of their time working with myself and Adam on trying to make this update as fresh as possible.

We've read a lot of posts, pm's and chat messages by now and what we've decided is that this is your chance now to post your final thoughts on the update. You really need to ask important questions here and your suggestions. What Adam and I have decided is that if you don't want this update, if that is really what you want, because you say we don't listen, then we will NOT update it.

However, if you do vote that you do not want these changes, we won't be updating ANNI. Rather, we will shift our focus on other game modes. We took on this project by request because Saunders was busy with school and people were asking for updates. We wanted to bring a completely fresh feel to this gamemode that hasn't changed in quite some time. The last major update to ANNI has been almost a year ago, so we wanted to bring you some of your ideas mixed with our own. We put in some radical changes that we hoped would encourage PVP action and add diversity and bring in new players to a great game. We have worked with many community members. However, at the end of the day your feedback matters. But it's very painful to see an update that you spent a lot of time working on being rejected so heavily. It's not that we want to ruin this game but we wanted to re-invent it and make it fresh not the same, that is the point for these changes. Our intention was not to "ruin" annihilation but to save it. Anyways, we leave this up to you. Ultimately, if you want to see ANNI left alone, we are happy to do so. It is your decision. However, be aware that saunders has become very busy with real life, so we have no ETA on a future ANNI update at this time.

What Adam and myself have decided if you really don't want it we won't force it upon you guys. Instead, Adam and myself will work on our own PVP mode and we will NOT touch Annihilation.

The choice is yours, if you want to work with us and help us change our current patch to make it better than let us know below.

I am going to post some changes that have been made since just so you are aware.

Respawn Timers:
    You can skip the respawn timer. When you die you have the option to "Buy Back" which allows you to instantly respawn at the cost of any gear you would have kept with the new inventory changes. That way you can still leather rush or stop a strength rusher.

Strength 2:
    This has been modified from 260% damage to 170%

Inventory Changes:
    You can drop ores which allows mine rushing. Meaning if you kill someone with Iron or Gold ORE they will be dropped upon death however once they are ingots you keep them.

2. HighlifeTTU Network Owner

XP:
    93,176xp
    This is sad. I know you folks in clans and what not are hesitant to change, but if you've watched the ANNI numbers they have been dropping over some time. It isn't because ANNI is a bad game, but ANNI does have some flaws that this update aimed to fix. The idea wasn't to destroy ANNI, but to fix ANNI and bring back the days of 2000-3000 players playing it.

While on the face this update seems dramatic, it really isn't. Some inventory retention does not dramatically change the game, especially with the ability to skip the respawn timer to have full item loss. In fact, those questioning its ability to make a game more strategic should take a look at MOBAs. The inventory retention / respawn timer are a clear takeaway from games like DotA or league. They are incredibly small in the grand scheme of the whole game.

I think the worst part here is that many in the community rejected this without even trying it. It is a strong signal to the developers of this update that you don't value the time they put into the update, and that is unfortunate. I look forward to listening to the comments here, because your response will very much dictate the future of ANNI. I hope you guys take a moment to reflect on the changes and make a very educated decision on whether you want to kill this update.

One final note -- I know many of you regard saunders as the end all be all of ANNI. And yes, we all love saunders here. But do know that much of ANNI was influenced by lazer and myself. I give saunders full credit on the game mode, but he also leaned on us heavily for balance decisions and class ideas. Just because he isn't intimately involved, doesn't mean these are bad ideas. Rather, he personally reviewed all of these changes and gave his personal thumbs up. So, there is that.
  3. J2BH Regular Member

XP:
    6,298xp
    I still want to vouch for my assassin ability change, seeming i did not get a response from the suggestion on the 1.5 post, i will suggest it again. My a suggestion was instead of the clone invis ability, you implement a back stab ability where the asssassin teleports behind an enemy within 10 blocks or so, the ability would have a fairly large cool-down. whenever the assassin kills someone within 5 seconds of backstabbing, the assassin gains invisibility and speed and a reduction to cool-down. Perhaps a nerf to the backstab passive would be necessary to implement this ability. Thank you for spending your time to read this, i appreciate it.
  4. Friend1908 Regular Member

XP:
    48,998xp
    I think this is a bad idea to make this a vote.
    I'm gonna tell the tale of my old favorite server sensationcraft to start. Its dead now, and let me tell you why.

The server once added super items, (its a faction server) for a decent chunk of money you could buy armor that'd have all enchants lvl X and all sword enchants lvl X. Eventually they took it out because they realized it was a feature that seemed to hurt pvp more than it helped it. Several months later they were looking for something to add and people heavily suggested super items. (server had around 50 people at weak times up to 200 and peak times, I'd guess it averaged around 140 players) We had a vote and sure enough people voted in super items. It won around an 80% vote to get it added in if I recall. Around a month after they were added there were around 20-30 players on at most. Super items killed the game. They were eventually removed and sensationcraft reinvented itself and before other problems came up it never got near its old prime before super weapons. It ended up dying and a huge part of it were super weapons. The community backed them, the community insisted they'd work. It ended up killing Sensation craft.

I think staff knows better than the community, don't get me wrong the community is very important and has loads of good ideas, but on a decision this big, it should be staff's call.

If we are gonna talk about whether it should or shouldn't be updated, I'd like to make my case for why it should be.
    Lets face it anni is dying. The game right now has a significant less amount of people than there used to be. If we don't do the update we lose at least half the people who supported the update. Loads of our community online has been waiting for an update, they saw this one, and if it doesn't happen now, they're leaving. They aren't waiting any longer. Shotbow put themselves in a corner announcing this update, a good move because if they know an updates coming they should announce it, but if we now repeal the update we lose 20% of our community. (I explained this more in depth in another post of mine I will look for)

I think anni's only shot of survival is an exciting update. So lets give it a go. If we want this to work staff must be ready as the gamemode is released to make changes when classes are found too OP and UP and certain mechanics dont work as anticipated, they must be ready to make quick changes for several weeks and maybe even longer post update, but if they do this the update could be terrific. Why should we stand in their way? I think this update is anni's best shot, so lets put it out there and see how it goes.

Also people who complain are more likely to complain then people who like it are to say they like it. Odds are there are lots of people like me who didn't post how much they liked the update because we didn't feel it needed to be said. I bet there are lots of us who support you who you just haven't heard from, and hopefully they will speak now. When you chose not to update your listening to 15% of the community that is vocal, you're not taking everyone's opinion.
  5. CuteButAmerican Platinum

XP:
    55,115xp
    I myself didn't really like the update.

Here's my opinion on things:

• You seem to be changing something like dropping items, which people have been used to for over a year now. So naturally the mainstream player would rage about it because they want the loot if they had to fight the iron to get it.
    • The community is pretty diverse on the update, some people like it and some people don't. Because of all the different opinions most people didn't really give the update a chance. If we had daily polls on things (EG: Respawn Timers, Keep Inventory, ETC) that we wanted to be added it would produce a better update for the community that we would all enjoy.
  6. Qosole Platinum

XP:
    10,624xp
    I think cooldowns need to be reduced by a lot, the damage that activatables do (Succubus, Thor) need to be buffed, and durations (Immoblizer) need to be extended.

Edit: Maybe there can be a new kit that, whenever you kill someone, you make them drop their resources (Food, ingots, ore, pickaxes/axes/swords [but not armor])
    WolfGang_Mac likes this.
  7. 123Charizard321 Platinum

XP:
    21,722xp
    These changes are good, but the respawm timers are a bit long, and classes, while they should have changes should be more similar to what they used to be. Such as people who bought assasin for the leap, by keeping the leap ability that no doubt some people bought it for. EDIT: and bloodmage... it's completely different. Running around as a leather killing full irons was fun, but now the damage is slower, so they might die after they kill you
  8. SnowblindGhost Emerald

XP:
    130,895xp
    I like the update, but for a lot of poeple who like Annihilation will miss it when/if Annihilation 1.5 comes out because it has been changed a lot. It will become a much different pace with weird yet good mechanics and physics.
    While I say the update is good, on such a big update to simply say Yes or No is a complicated thing to answer, there have been long needed things added and things that are not needed or would be appreciated.
    I love the new class buffs, but some now seem . . . Well, kind of sad to see, Bloodmage no longer lives up to it's name, Berserker or other classes are a lot more focused on abilities, now the classes seem a more based on their abilities, while the old Annihilation seems different, all classes are relatively the same in a way, but with all just small little side kits, now they seem all based on their abilities, I see this a bit harming to the classic Annihilation gamestyle.
    But the again, hasn't Annihilation been dreading a new gameplay? Sometimes the old is good, but old is old. And shooting down an opportunity like Annihilation 1.5 seems like a great idea for a whole new world.
    While this idea seems great, I have mot yet read the whole update. And right now, I'm leaning towards no. You could just put this in a new Annihilation game, like MineZ 2, the update sounds much fun and positively different than the one right now.
  9. Snowmanfat Regular Member

XP:
    33,263xp
    You don't have to completely scratch the Update
    Class changes were iffy but i liked most of them except assassin, blood mage etc
    Witch camps and Wither boss were fine with me(i don't know about the rest of the community however)

The only thing I really disproved of was the Inventory changes and the death timers
    The inventory changes you suggest almost ruins the Risk/Reward system of Annihilation, while some say it "its not that bad" It certainly isn't good the old way was much better, leading to exciting fights were you actually had a stake and choices to make. If the 1.5 updates were implemented, then i wouldn't enchant gear that's about the only decision i would make.

The death timers correlate to the inventory changes. Death timers are ridiculous in my opinion, there are better ways to stop farming then halting play time.

I feel these changes were for the rage quitters of the community who feel the game should change to their needs. I fall in the void i fall in lava i get killed by leathers so what its a game. Over it. I push people into the void i kill irons while in leather, great.

Go through with class and map changes and maybe we can alter them from there based on player feedback

Inventory changes and re spawn timers were a bad idea from the get go. I strongly suggest you don't add these

I don't understand your eagerness to make annihilation into other MOABS Anni is not so much of a battle arena but more of Faction pvp/survival/CTF strategy game Many games try to change based on whats popular (Runescape, Ace of spades trying to be more like WOW and COD) but it doesnt always mean the game will be better

Thank you for giving us a voice, most developers would simply push an update without the consent of the players

If anni stayed the same I would be happy i love this game but updates would be nice, but none that are so dramatic
  10. Qosole Platinum

XP:
    10,624xp
    The above 3 posts are literally the only ones you need to look at, devs. Maybe. Idk.
  11. Vegan_Atheist Platinum

XP:
    227,076xp
    You guys should roll out Anni 1.5 for an entire weekend to get real feedback. All these one-shot games for testing just won't do. I haven't even gotten a chance to play it, so I assume most people here complaining haven't either. What do you expect when all they see is text with drastic changes?

I support all the class changes, although I see many of the buffs as a way to justify not taking away scout's horizontal grappling or nerfing acrobat.

I support any changes to str2. I don't care about respawn timers. I don't care about inventory drops.

Long live Saunders. Long live Mr. Darn. Long live 1.5.
    Symenn, a2A209_, gogbe and 17 others like this.
  12. DarkenMoon Platinum

XP:
    63,245xp
    So is this replacing "Annihilation 1"?
    SnowblindGhost likes this.
  13. Qosole Platinum

XP:
    10,624xp
    I think I just figured out why there are respawn timers. Because, as you're rushing a base, you won't be assaulted by full irons every second.

Edit: Solution to everyone complaining about this: Only add death timers when you die in your base!
    Symenn and foofooguy like this.
  14. HighlifeTTU Network Owner

XP:
    93,176xp
    I have a more specific question for the community members who hate the inventory change.

How, specifically, does it change the dynamic in a negative way? I know many of you say we are catering to those who rage quit, but given the choice of ANNI stagnating or ANNI growing in players, would you choose growth in the player base with these changes? Because that is what we are up against. If there are huge negatives, we can scrap inventory all together. But if we do scrap inventory, we don't fix the fundamental flaw many ex-players have told us about.

But back to my original question. How does this fundamentally ruin your favorite strategies or aspects of ANNI? Knowing how it directly impacts your enjoyment of the game can help us find new ideas that help bring in fresh players but also respect your favorite parts of the game.
  15. Friend1908 Regular Member

XP:
    48,998xp
    This is a good idea! Is there really any way to argue that this is bad? This is such a simple and good idea I wish I could like this post 100000000000000000000000 times. Most people here talking about it haven't even played the game mode yet! yeah, it's cliche, but you cannot judge a book by its cover. We need to try the update to give real and helpful feedback.
    ultimatehydra likes this.
  16. Qosole Platinum

XP:
    10,624xp

Death timers don't really worry me, since I like leather rushing and not Strength rushing. But, if you want to keep your stuff, you should be able to spectate when you die.

Inventory changes are a little ridiculous, however. Being able to keep your full iron stuff for 3 lives will basically fill up the mines even more, since it will encourage people gearing up. It will also encourage trolls who just run around with eff. 1 pickaxes mining everything. Maybe have a limit on how many people can be in a mine, or add more mines underground?
  17. robertlkc Regular Member

XP:
    14,060xp
    This.
  18. Mistri Network Lead

XP:
    1,695,816xp
    I like the patch update, it should be kept.

And thank you, thank you so much, for listening to the community's opinion for the first (or one of the first) time(s). It really means a lot when we have a say in things.
    robertlkc likes this.
  19. ninja9351 Platinum

XP:
    25,427xp
    Do you want the real solution?

Anni 2.0

No I'm not kidding, make this a new mode, Anni Classic and Anni Reborn or something of that sort.
    It's the perfect solution to making this predicament work in Shotbow's favor.
    1999bjls, a2A209_, amaraone and 10 others like this.
  20. DarkenMoon Platinum

XP:
    63,245xp
    I definitely agree. I think that there are so many base changes, it's basically a new game mode, and not a update to an existing one. I really feel Annihilation "1" should be renamed "Annihilation Classic", and given less servers, since it will more than likely not be as popular as "Annihilation 2" / "1.5".
    JackMasterMind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.