1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Premium and Map Selection

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Mysterious_Seven, Apr 4, 2022.

Suggestion - Premium and Map Selection
  1. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Hey! I was a bit late to the party for the voting last month but I'd like to reiterate what I said there and add to it!

It's no secret that after the premium xp bonus was made server wide that there has been a lacking reason to spend money on the Shotbow Network (aside from cosmetics). I aim to give suggestions that may bring back the prestige of being a supporter.

Premium exclusive voting is something that would be no doubt interesting, everyone would be playing the same game, but the premium players would be steering it ever so slightly.

2. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Make a class that doesn't do anything but allow you to choose a class. Possible restrictions are endless as far as balancing goes, like being a Grandmaster or Annihilator rank exclusive feature, an item added to the shop or a pregame voting option (probably added to Civilian for the duration of the game if this was the case). It would make choosing your class maybe a bit more reactionary, letting people see a need fill a need so to speak.
  3. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Update coastal and randomize its central island. It's no secret that during the later months of the year Coastal is swapped out for its holiday themed look alikes. Changing the biggest battlefield on the map sounds like an easy way to freshen up the gameplay loop as Coastal is often picked to the detriment of the communities investments in making maps. Speaking of which, that leads me to my next point. Give ranking bonuses to encourage voting for less popular maps, this would also give people a way to strategize a method to get to the esteemed Annihilator rank.
    Hingey likes this.
  4. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Pregame voting option to mine already smelted items instead of ores. Iteration time lowers as game pace quickens.
    This could be added alongside a 2x damage modifier in P2 and P3. If a team dies in the early phases allow the players to rejoin the game on a different team. Cheese opportunities yes, but I doubt they would be much of a problem.
  5. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    (Generally offtopic from my original posts.)

Defense needs to be built upon to make it interesting and strategic, while at the same time more accessible to attackers as to not dissuade attacks till god apples are procured 50 minutes into the match.
    I propose a Nexus upgrading system that gives all the players on that team increased armor / weapons on respawn. It would also have a secondary effect of giving nexus shielding, if the shielding was broken then the effect would end. This would encourage fighting on said buffed teams nexus as you could eliminate an enemies gear advantage by dealing a small amount of damage to their nexus, as well as invalidating any resources they spent to power up the nexus. Special "soul link" type effects with the Defender class could be added to facilitate this, for Scorpio it could spawn fences past the edge of the map to block death by things like void scorping or KB. For Immobolizer it could give anyone near the nexus mining fatigue and so on.

The nexus is one of the main problems with Coastal. Coastal itself hasn't had an update since the beginnings of Annihilation itself, the reason? Well Coastal 2 was made, where is it? Post it as an alternative to the standard Coastal for the weekly rotation. And yes, I'm aware there is holiday versions of Coastal. Hohohoastal and Ghostal are updates, but 80% of the time we're playing the same map from years ago.
  6. Cupu Platinum

XP:
    3,911xp

Not a fan of premium only voting. Everyone who is going to play in a game should have a say in the map selection.

The only way I could see this working is if there was a premium only lobby, but even then it'd probably only have like 4-5 players in it like MineZ's premium.

I do however think that voting should be tuned slightly. If you leave a lobby, you're vote should go with you. I've seen people hop on multiple alts to influence the vote and skew the numbers.

An idea I've had about voting for a while is different phase variations. While P1 would always be no nexus damage, other Phases could include different perk or oddities to make the game feel different every time you play.

To touch on your defensive suggestions, Coastal's nexus has always bugged me as well. I'm not a fan of nexus' only having one entrance, and it makes recapturing a nexus during a rush nigh impossible if the people geared up. I think Gapples shouldn't be allowed to be made till P4, so people have a little bit of time to enjoy the game, and also would require players to not just stack up right away and rather focus on other things to help their team. I think upgrading tools for a team as their nexus gets lower is a cool idea, but I'd only want to see enchants on the wood tools, not upgrades to stone/iron etc. I like void scorping. As much as people think it doesn't take skill, you do have to get into position first to void scorp them. Against teams with no defenses, its crippling. I think immobilizer is fine where it is, while I don't think it needs any buffs, if anything I'd like to see the absorption or resistance that you get when immo'ed taken away.
  7. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    My point was to change how Defender plays. The idea of Soul Link is akin to Kirby in the smash franchise. Gain an ability from a different class, use that to help facilitate defense. It doesn't need to be an ability that other classes have themselves, but copying a pyro's melee fire attack proc or adding the +1 attack from warrior would be amazing depth. I just thought of this, but what if the Defender could open up the class window and choose a class they have unlocked and gain a benefit to Defender appropriate to the class they picked. This has relations to ideas about Main class and Subclass which date back to Annihilation's inception, and it would undoubtedly be very cool to see this return to form and allow the defender to be more adaptive.

If you want a change to Immobilizer, I'd say that if the Immobilizer takes damage down to 5hp that all effects should stop. Or alternatively, give them 5hp of absorption that works the same way, once it's gone all the effects stop. Might see some people run around with damage pots again.
  8. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Oh no, only additions not changes. The map should entirely be voted on by the players, other rules and things new players wouldn't know enough to have input on is what I'm aiming for.

Edit: I posted it with "Map Selection" in the name when that was only referring to how people would want to vote for other maps for their bonuses instead of making the voting system for maps premium only.
    Cupu likes this.
  9. Cupu Platinum

XP:
    3,911xp

Ah I see, disregard my first 2 lines of the first reply, obviously I can't read.

To expand on your idea then, instead of just premiums who can vote on said things, add that as a rank up perk somewhere along the way. Personally I'd move the lobby grapple to Master 2, and have new voting perk land somewhere around Master 3 to Grand Master 2. This would definitely give players something to grind for, as getting the perks you want could heavily influence the game if you have a plan to use them.

As for Defender I see what you mean. I haven't played a Smash Bros regularly since I owned a Wii lol, but I understand the Soul-Link ability. I feel one of the main flaws with defender is the alarm is small and doesn't go off all the time (Not sure if any classes counter the alarm). Giving the defender a larger, or more alarms would help, and I think that a slightly weaker version of abilities being used by defender would be ok, and even add some variations to how people defend.

I think your immo rework is actually pretty spot on, but if the immobilizer is also getting the 5 absorption hearts, I think that the effects should stop around 7-8 HP instead, since usually the immobilizer is too far for a sword, and bows are weird when immo'ed. I still run around with damage pots from time to time lol, but I think making gunpowder more accessible would be a good start for this. Making the Witch closer to bases, and increasing the drop rate of gunpowder and you'll definitely see more insta-damage and posions in matches.

Side note: I'd also like custom kill messages, such as if someone burns to death it'll say "X Player burnt Y Player to a crisp" or something like that would be cool. Likewise if you killed someone by pots or fall damage.
    Mysterious_Seven likes this.
  10. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp

Pretty much all of my suggestions could be lifted in their entirety and dropped into the ranking system. Much to my dismay haha!

The alert item actually functions kind of lamely. It won't go off if you are currently holding an item in your main hand (presumably). I haven't taken the time to test it, but I can do that tomorrow easily.

P.S. 20hp is full health.
  11. Cupu Platinum

XP:
    3,911xp

I've been thinking string would be a better alarm idea, especially if you'd be able to choose the height it would be placed at, block underneath or not. Of course I know nothing about coding something like that, and it probably isn't feasible or worth the effort if it turns out not to work properly again.

My brain read 5 hearts instead of HP, but I think 5 hearts is actually a good place to cancel any effects. 2.5 just seems kinda low, since the the best way to use immo is with people and you'll usually have to deal with a couple other players as well.
  12. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp

This would also be desirable in some instances for Immobilizer, as they could die if they used their ability at the wrong time. Immobilize doesn't discriminate who it helps kill, only that the player with the ability can choose when to use it.
    I believe 5 hearts would make this a balance change instead of a hard nerf because an immobilizer wouldn't want their ability to backfire.
    Leather wearers could ostensibly rescue a full diamond teammate with this retooling, ultimately phasing immobilizer out for a great deal of group play due to its short range. It'd be a great early game pick for rushing mines, but less effective near the end of the game when people are very geared.
    Cupu likes this.
  13. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    Low ranking players partied with a Master I or above should get a ranking bonus to encourage teaming up.