1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Suggestion Global chat

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by Lieutenant_Joe, Mar 16, 2019.

Suggestion - Global chat
  1. Lieutenant_Joe Silver

XP:
    52,132xp
    Okay, so I can kind of wrap my head around the whole “remove the ender eye” thing. A lot of people just dropped it anyways, and keeping it technically does put you at a disadvantage in a fight or flight situation, as well as in a dungeon. But y’all should at least have implemented an alternative before rolling out this update (like Wasted’s old system or something).

By removing any ability for players to communicate unless they’re within a distance where they could see and kill each other, you’ve essentially killed what casual community was left in this game. There is no longer any way for new players to communicate with one another with minimal fear that they’re gonna be killed by the guy they’re talking to. The easiest way to make friends in the game is gone.

You don’t have to bring the eye back, but you’ve doomed MineZ to a much quicker death than the one it would have otherwise endured by removing global chat completely. Please implement an alternative.

EDIT: said “each other” too much, was annoying me so I trimmed it a bit

2. boogaert Emerald

XP:
    84,545xp
    Yeah I agree, I feel like doc said they were planning on adding something like this but I can't find where
  3. cyclone_43 Silver

XP:
    68,995xp
    I don't always agree with Lieutenant_Joe, but when I do it's for a good reason.
    ItsSoular likes this.
  4. Lieutenant_Joe Silver

XP:
    52,132xp
    He did. It was in the post about the new update a few months ago. He said the plan was to implement some separate global chat system (he made it sound really convoluted), and I’m pretty sure he said it was gonna be put in the game with the update. It’s entirely possible that the system IS in the game, but it’s so convoluted that no one has figured out how to use it yet.

But I doubt it.

EDIT: Found it. https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/i...moved-from-the-spawn-kit.390004/#post-3006835
  5. Meifot Gold

XP:
    219,469xp
    Its kinda boring just wandering the south looking for people to help instead of having an option to make contact other then pms.
  6. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    Keep it the way it is! That way MineZ dies faster :DDDD

sent from my USB Cable over telegram
  7. bombermatt360 Regular Member

XP:
    70,327xp
    I don't want to sound like a hater, but to be fair if there are less players then there's less chance someone will kill you.
    However, then they might shut MineZ down due to low player counts. But honestly people could just use discord to communicate.

Sent from my Game Boy Advance with the Game Boy Link Cable
  8. Meifot Gold

XP:
    219,469xp

I quite like the game being around, although I hardly have time to play it anymore.

Sent from my Stone Tablet using my Chisel
  9. Lieutenant_Joe Silver

XP:
    52,132xp
    I’d be willing to bet a good number of casual players don’t even know what discord is. Certainly back in 2013, there were a lot of new players who were unfamiliar with Mumble (and later Teamspeak), which was what Shotbow used to use for its official voice comms. I even knew a few dudes who didn’t know their way around Skype.

My argument is that the lack of a communication system for new players not in the know is a serious detriment to the game. You can’t just replace global chat with a third party system like a forum shout box or Discord. Most newbies don’t want to immediately hop in voice chat (or even a discord server) with a bunch of strangers from a community they’ve never been a part of, and some wouldn’t even know where to start. Besides, nothing beats the convenience of an optional on-game global chat. My computer is a toaster; I don’t have the time to tab in and out, and I don’t have the patience to hold a conversation on my phone WHILE I’m playing the game. I’d rather not have to look away from the screen, and I think a lot of people share this opinion.

Administration’s silence on this issue leads me to believe this is intentional—or at least, they don’t care.

Sent from my Jitterbug using Linux
    Mr_3141592653589 likes this.
  10. cyclone_43 Silver

XP:
    68,995xp
    Actually, most newbies will join a discord with strangers. You gotta play the game if you're gonna try to make statements like this Joe.
    Tozzu likes this.
  11. bombermatt360 Regular Member

XP:
    70,327xp
    Very true. I think the staff is most likely working on this. I think they wanted to get the eye of ender out of the way first before changing anything about the chat. It is very likely they are working on something that will replace the eye. (maybe a command?) I'm not sure how coding minecraft games works, but I doubt that putting in an extra command would hurt the performance. Servers like Hypixel have global and team chat commands working fine, so I can't be too hard. There is no way that the staff doesn't see the significance of global chat, that's why the eye was added in the first place. A replacement may be coming in the next update.

Sent from the large hadron collider using accelerated particles.
  12. DocCodeSharp Retired Staff

XP:
    295,987xp
    The original idea I had for it was not going to work. When I was playing with it before re-code release it just didn't feel right. So I have been working a new system that takes what the eye did before and improves on it and blows the old system out of the water. It's based on the idea of the humans having to find a way to talk to each other after the vanishing of magic from the world and creating something with tech.

Here is a peek at the system I am working on. (The GUI is not final as I am trying to find what fits best for it.)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. cyclone_43 Silver

XP:
    68,995xp
    You should make the default channel 4.0, also they should be in tool chests!
    boogaert likes this.
  14. Meifot Gold

XP:
    219,469xp
    I agree with Cyclone with having a default channel, as opposed to having to hold it in an inventory slot, though perhaps one could simply have to hold it to chat.
  15. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    I would like for that, radio channel 4.0 as default, in inventory as opposed to hotbar
  16. DocCodeSharp Retired Staff

XP:
    295,987xp
    The idea behind this is that it uses frequency so like 89.9 - 124.7 (still working on the numbers) and the default channel somewhere in the middle (still have not picked it) will be where it starts on spawn. Then with the feathers will let you change the frequency(up or down by 1 or .1) to other channels (even thinking of adding a saved list based on the player) that will let you have your own channel to talk on. This will allow anyone to talk on any frequency and change when needed for safety or even clans to have there own they can use. And also allow bandits to listen in (while searching and make plans to attack, like any survival game, cause you never know who is listening on the other end of the radio.) :)

And once enabled and is in your inventory anywhere it will change the chat to the radio and no longer needed to be in the Hotbar to use.
    Marine_PvP likes this.
  17. boogaert Emerald

XP:
    84,545xp
    the only thing is I feel like if it's an item most people will throw it out
  18. Lieutenant_Joe Silver

XP:
    52,132xp

Thank you for finally clearing this up. I was concerned global chat had just been done away with.

You probably should have mentioned this when the update was released. I think a lot of the administration underestimates how much a large portion of the community values global chat.

Just like... try to make sure it doesn't take six months to come out... lack of global chat is one of the things that killed MineZ 2.
    cyclone_43 likes this.
  19. MarineAP Obsidian

XP:
    543,386xp
    We can add eye of ender to tool or civ chest and make it have limited uses. For example, when you change frequency or chat x times, it loses some dura and players will need to loot towns to get another one.
  20. bombermatt360 Regular Member

XP:
    70,327xp
    That definitely is better than the old eye, because people could throw it out and still get a new one, but I think that if you want to add it to Civ/Tool chests, then you should make Tool chests more common up North. It would really be a pain if I needed to go back to the South to communicate with someone. Another thing that I think would be really cool for this radio idea is having a main global chat that can allow strangers to communicate even if they didn't know what frequency they would be on. This would be good for beginners, but the risk is that bandits can easily eavesdrop.

Sent from the new MineZ Radio at 107.9 Hz