1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

No Prefix Watch them close this thread

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by IncognitoSausage, Nov 15, 2018.

No Prefix - Watch them close this thread
?

Would the community and staff be open to the idea of a TeamSpeak/Discord live debate over the topic?

Yes 11 vote(s) 91.7%
No 1 vote(s) 8.3%
I won't want to participate but would like to see this happen. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. IncognitoSausage Platinum

XP:
    197,661xp
    Disclaimer: Should this thread be closed/locked/deleted , this only stands to show that the Shotbow staff are unable to effectively handle the 1.7/1.8 EU anni situation.

First things first, it's terrible to be back. I thought i would have a sense of positive nostalgia upon return, however I was quickly proved wrong after the levels of toxicity I've witnessed between the Shotbow staff. However that isn't the reason we are here.

Shotbow became the homes to many of us and I would like to keep it that way. Therefore i propose that this thread be left open to effectively handle the situation at hand. Allowing open minded community and staff members to communicate their ideas on how to resolve the situation.

Such ideas could be to revisit the use of ts.shotbbow.net, as the forums are a rather backwards form of communication that should be revisited, however that's an entirely separate post on its own.

Having an open debate on teamspeak or discord would allow for real-time discussions to take place and allow all who are open to this idea to share their ideas and possibly resolve issue at hand.

However should this not be the outcome, then this would allow the staff team to once and for all effectively convince the community as to why the conversion would not be happening.

Should this actually be done, with active members present, with staff explaining whilst receiving criticism and they manage to prevail, then I believe there would no longer be a need for new 1.7/1.8 posts to be made.

I hope this post reaches the right people ( you know who you are, the staff members that are in support in the reintroduction of 1.7/1.:cool:.

Finally, should this discussion actually occur, the staff would not be allowed to deny any members of the community from joining as it is very obvious that there is hate towards certain members of the community due to their views or level of popularity.

Here's to hoping :heart:

-Uranium_Ranger (Team Phoenix & fellow South African)
    99_i and Hingey like this.

2. Murgatron Retired Staff

XP:
    970,785xp
    There is no point to having a discussion over these 2 topics as decisions have been taken regarding them and these decisions have been thoroughly explained several times on the forums.

For the avoidance of doubt I shall answer both of these concerns again:

• Revert the server back to 1.7 / 1.8!

• Sadly this cannot be done. We have made extensive additions to the Annihilation (and other gamemode!) code base which relies heavily on 1.9 features both ingame and in terms of game modification. To revert to a 1.7 version of Annihilation would cause us to be running optimized, unstable and buggy code which is not good for player experience as well as us losing many administrative tools and AntiCheat systems developed for Annihilation since we moved to 1.9.

As I understand it the main complaint for 1.9 is the PvP system. Whilst we have tried to mimic 1.7 combat in 1.9 we recognise these efforts have not been sufficient. That is why with the reworking of MineZ (See MineZ PTR threads) our lead developer Doc did an extensive and indepth rework of PvP. These changes are live on the MineZ PTR for you to test out. Once these changes are finalised we will be looking to add them to Annihilation, alas this will take some time due to the age of Annihilation code.

• Bring back the EU server!

• Unfortunately, as this moment in time, it is not financially viable for us to do this. The EU region did not break even in the last 6 months of us running it, infact it put considerable strain on the US side of income. Should there come a time when we are confident that we have an offering that would attract an EU population once again we will certainly reconsider it (speaking as an EU player myself I would love to see us back there!).
    All of what I have said above is all that would be explained via teamspeak. I am happy to answer further follow up questions to these 2 specific topics that you have but otherwise any other posts will not be considered.
    Mistri likes this.
  3. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    nice meme.

They posted a 90 miniute long Q&A stream four months ago taking questions from people in discord. You really should subscribe to them.
    In the last five miniutes of the Q&A a fix for hits not registering was discussed. It is entirely "in the cards" that Shotbow will indistinguishably mimic 1.7 combat as well as having offhand capabilities. Edit: not even a week later they announced and released exactly this.

Updates do more than just add features or change the game mechanics. Updates also add security updates and serverside improvements. They cannot and will not downgrade because hacking programs will need to work in real time to catch up with the current server protocols. Your idea as to "the reason we are here" which would "resolve the situation" would roll back updates which would solve your problem, but would also be to the detriment of security. Changing the combat back to 1.7 standards is the only goal that anyone hopes to achieve, the Shotbow Staff are trying to do this in a more secure manner.

Did I miss double meme thursday? Just 16 miniutes later you think you know everything about Shotbow after two years of being absent? You're adding to the toxicity bro.
    Mistri likes this.
  4. IncognitoSausage Platinum

XP:
    197,661xp
    Thanks for the reply, glad to see that in some way these posts are been responded to with a sense of decorum.

As for the return of EU, should it be unable to lean on US then ultimately it wont ever return as the people who are looking to return to EU already have ranks and would not be looking to spend any additional cash on cosmetics or tanks.....
  5. IncognitoSausage Platinum

XP:
    197,661xp

A rather pretencious reply but nonetheless I'll grace it with a response:

As for the "first post back" , I meant that this was my first post back, not a reply to another post. I can understand where the misunderstanding can come from.

With reference to your referral of the 'hacking system', the only people who still play Anni are no longer the OGs. Should Anni ever have been reverted back, more experienced players would have joined and would have been able to easily counter any sort of hacker, this wouldn't be pur first rodeo.

With reference to your "reverting back to 1.7 pvp" , the shotbow development staff were well aware that the community was entirely against the 1.9 combat mechanics, that was over 2 years ago.......

With regards to the QnA, I can 100% state that a majority of the expierenced players were not there to ask their own questions (hence the continuous "1.7/1.8" posts) , therefore my proposal for another sort of QnA debate would still stand. It would allow for our questions to be answered, and in theory as the sort of 'shareholders' it would be our duty to ensure that the work is being done and that shotbow is being transparent.
  6. Mysterious_Seven Platinum

XP:
    227,414xp
    You're tipping your hand by deleting your post.
    Banning hackers is still a top priority problem no matter how many players you have. If what you say is true, then Annihilation has gotten less toxic as players have moved to the forums to voice their pleas about reverting to 1.7 PvP (like now). All in all, its perfectly fine that the developers chose to keep updating, even if personally I think they should have updated after they were sure that the PvP mechanics were working as intended.
    So? The Admins were against 1.9 combat too, but they still needed to update. Had hit registering not fallen flat on its face the update would've been an astounding success despite several people vowing never to play 1.9 Shotbow (presuming it would not change pvp from vanilla). And if the time between updates is your problem, get a job and forget about computer games for a few years or pick up an MMO or find a hobby. I got bored so I made an entire wiki from scratch and found game breaking bugs before they were abused.
    I would actually argue that the most experienced players were infuriated by the damage frame bug, and would logically advocate a change back to 1.7 PvP. There also were quite a few players that didn't like that you could no longer block without the shield while immobilized.

I do like Q&A's though.

Edit: I voted yes because they did it in the past. Why did you vote yes? Obviously they are open to the idea, just not now. I assume thats why Murgatron awnsered no.