1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion We have hope --- Maybe, sources unconfirmed

Discussion in 'Wasted' started by rayoflight347, Feb 22, 2017.

Discussion - We have hope --- Maybe, sources unconfirmed | Page 2
  1. zilone94 Regular Member

XP:
    9,996xp
    I have a question. What is the reason of closing Wasted? I mean, yes, it was in beta and needed rework, but was it neccessary to move it in garage? Why not let players play beta of Wasted while devs are making update?

2. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    They needed to build it from the ground up. The bugs got so out of hand it wasn't playable, and therefore needed a COMPLETE rework.
    _Dark_Messiah_ likes this.
  3. zilone94 Regular Member

XP:
    9,996xp
    Hm, what bugs are you talking about?
    Last time I played Wasted was June 2013 and I didn't see any bugs. I guess they appeared in 2014-15?
  4. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    The tunneling vehicles were fabulous!
  5. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    "The tunneling vehicles were fabulous!"

This bug appeared around 2015. It consisted of all vehicles being able to go under the surface of any block when driving which completely broke the game.
  6. zilone94 Regular Member

XP:
    9,996xp
    K, thanks. As I understand, Wasted Dev Team is working on the game now, right?
    Hydralaxius likes this.
  7. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    I presume they are... but we've had no information for a while.
  8. Tdiaz5 Silver

XP:
    76,623xp
    Developers have been working on the game, but a lot of people have stepped down recently, and as I have understood, Wasted has to or is being rebuilt from scratch. I suggest you don't get your hopes up, because it could take a long time before Wasted comes back (if it ever will).
  9. zilone94 Regular Member

XP:
    9,996xp
    Actually, I am worried about online... Will there be a flood of people when Wasted comes out? Online is 300-500 players now, and it's unfortunate...
  10. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    The server owners forgot about Wasted for a 1 1/2 years, and it took them 5 months to fix a single bug. When cars started going through blocks and when they fall, teleport into infinity, it was a few months before they patched it, but then drop zones wouldn't drop any loot and the timer would keep ticking. It took 2 years before anyone who needed to was paying attention to Wasted, and they were only paying attention to Anni and MineZ. All the games on Shotbow became obsolete to them except those two. And I hate anni and MineZ is meh imo. On top of that, Wasted only lost players when they began to afford better computers and play games like CoD and Battlefield and other games, and by the time I joined no YouTubers with major subscriber counts had posted wasted in at least a year. And the worst part was that there was no communication between the devs and the players. The owners of shotbow didn't even play Wasted when I did, except JACOBSMILE but that was for maybe 2 or 3 weeks, and the server was already dying.

More bugs that took months to fix:
    • Punching weapons caches wouldn't start the next objective
    • If the diamond item despawned it would be another half hour or hour before it respawned
    • When playing in MC version 1.8, your game would crash every time someone died because it loaded a sleeping player entity that the 1.8 client did not recognize.
    • (This one was controversial but in hindsight I'm glad they fixed it) Weapons caches would spawn with a new map leaving behind jetpacks between City 17 and Hitchen, one near Flint (I think) and a bunch of high level weapons on some objectives.
    • Cars in the water would speed up really fast, but could not get out of the water in many cases.
    • Bodies were floating 1 meter above the ground
    _Dark_Messiah_ and Hydralaxius like this.
  11. Tdiaz5 Silver

XP:
    76,623xp
    I disagree with this. I did not play Wasted simple because I didn't have a pc beefy enough for other games, and I don't think I'm the only one. Wasted had a feel to it I don't have in other games. But oh well, after all those years, it could be nostalgia based. Still though, I would love to play it again.
    The Wasted community was great, and as I recall, loads of people were online. Only when all those countless bugs HypeTrains perfectly summarised started coming, Wasted started losing players. At first they were not too big, but when ground-breaking bugs like cars going trough blocks and broken objectives started appearing, only few were still on. Let's be real here; who wants to play a broken game?

The cause of player loss wasn't natural and lose of interest, it was bugs that took Wasted down. With enough marketing, I'm sure a lot of players will return to the game if the gameplay-breaking bugs are patched, including me.
    Hydralaxius and _Dark_Messiah_ like this.
  12. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp

This wasn't the only reasoning towards the lack of players either. There was indeed a incredible surge of bugs and glitches that took Wasted and made it plummet into a downwards spiral that persuaded disinterest amongst the population of shotbow. However Shotbow didn't exactly keep the standards high for their games. They were doing well, and that probably lead to most of the developers to sit back and only concentrate on Annihilation since it was a game that had an up rise in interest, and still remains the only thing that keeps Shotbow up today. Wasted was a glorious success back in the day, and up to four servers a day would be full, and during the time there was many days with the greatest player count they had in years of up to 4000. It's funny how that all went within a year or two, which backs up my point of their being a lack of interest and a massive surge in bugs and glitches.

The back-up that Shotbow has used for a long time is that the 1.9 update needed to be pushed out in order to continue development of their games and to make them great again. This has been stated for almost a year and the fact that most other servers quickly upgraded their servers to 1.9 compared to Shotbow just gives an insight into how this server isn't doing its greatest anymore. However, finally Shotbow has went into 1.9 but that alone has brought more problems with games and now MineZ 2 has been put into the garage so development can be focused on fixing the game for the 1.9 update, which is another problem itself, and that piles on to the countless amount of games that need to be worked on in the garage including Wasted.

Shotbow has its glory days but in order to become a successful servers as it once proved to be, there needs to be massive change. More focus and development needs to be put in. Not just to fix the games, but put quality into them to make them a gamemode that deserves to be played.
    Tdiaz5 and _Dark_Messiah_ like this.
  13. Tdiaz5 Silver

XP:
    76,623xp
    So you're saying that the lack of focus on existing games caused the downfall? but isn't that exactly what caused all those bugs and glitches to appear? If otherwise, I do not fully understand your point.

In my opinion, Shotbow should focus more on what works than on making new gamemodes and such. Trying to be successful on many fronts with limited resources just results in a whole bunch of mediocrity, and even unplayable games. I don't know the distribution of developers, but it surely felt like most of the focus was on new games like WiR, Assault, Gold Rush etc. Exploring new territories is fun, but meanwhile, the homefront was left on its own.
    Hydralaxius likes this.
  14. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    Exactly my point.
  15. Tdiaz5 Silver

XP:
    76,623xp
    Could you explain why your reasoning is different than mine then?
  16. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    You state that is it solely the bugs that made Wasted fall. I agree with this, but this resulted in a lack of interest in many games, not just Wasted. This is what I'm trying to focus on. I was also trying to elaborate on what you said.
  17. _Dark_Messiah_ Regular Member

XP:
    16,494xp
    I feel as if its not just those pieces that made it fall, but along with how games trend then aren't seen as an ideal game anymore, Minecraft had its days and now is viewed differently, but although we may disagree with that, and consider it the same, that's just how the old players may view it, as a different thing, not ideal. But there is hope for new players, and maybe the older players, but its just that Shotbow needs a whole revamp in my opinion, more exposure, it doesn't have that exposure that other servers have. If they can get more exposure, they can have more players, so the average player count can be up to 2,000+ instead of 400+ so not only for Wasted, but with Shotbow as a whole.
    Hydralaxius likes this.
  18. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    That's why I have a very mixed view on Wasted and it's "upcoming" release this summer. It's definitely a good gamemode, and if the developers have put their minds to it, I'm sure it'll be a good game, a long with the feedback upon the initial launch. However, the pitiful populous of Shotbow currently makes me extremely sceptical on how successful it will be. If you take into consideration that in the weekends it merely reaches 400, and most of those players are playing Annihilation and a small portion are playing MineZ and MTA, I dread to think how many will be playing Wasted.

Wasted has an active forum with around 20 people actively posting and some who come here and there, it indeed also has a massive amount of posts in the section itself, but upon release using these statistics I would reckon there would be around 40 - 50 players on at the peak of Shotbows population, that's not taking into count the different timezones and working weeks. This is exactly why there needs to be some kind of exposure and revamp for Shotbow as a whole, otherwise I doubt Wasted will make its cut unless it's truly magnificent; and if it is it will need some sort of exposure itself such as youtube (which I will attempt doing).

Just looking at the implementation of the gamemode Slaughter and its peak of players it has around 20 at the weekend and prime time of the Shotbow population, and then looking at the active members of the garage Slaughter forum, it has around half of what Wasted currently as. So if you use that in comparison to Wasted, I think 40 - 50 players would be about right. Although I could be completely wrong, and I hope I am.

WASTED HYPE
  19. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    Keep in mind, Summer 2017 was a date set as the earliest time it could release, not a release date.
  20. kyogyu Regular Member

XP:
    9,676xp
    I'm not even sure if Wasted will be the same when it comes back. It's been a couple of years now and I'm sure that they've changed a shitton of things