1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Blood clot of a dying game

Discussion in 'MineZ' started by RisingThumb, Mar 22, 2017.

Discussion - Blood clot of a dying game
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    Good day, My name is Pi, This will be discussing the history of MineZ, and why it's a fair point to say it should just die already. No names or public shaming will be done as to conform with the rules. If you wish to defend the game based on lost, empty promises go ahead.

First thing we'll discuss is how MineZ became well known. MineZ became well known because of free advertising from many youtubers with large fanbases. Without it, It's hard to determine whether or not it would've lasted long. This advertising simply is not there, And it simply is not possible to interest an audience that has moved on to different games and gamemodes, especially given a lack of community engagement, transparency and updates from the developers. I'm not going to rant about how 'Origins' has taken a long time to be released, Or how 1.11 hasn't been moved to the main branch of the server, but given the large timespans from announcement that has been observed, it is undeniable that this is very bad, especially for a volunteer force. It could also be said that this volunteer force itself comes with problems as well, as some people could note that this is one form pointing attention at oneself. Make up your mind from observing the timespans of how long everything in Shotbow has taken, but it seems to me more like they are in a constant state of development hell.

Secondly , The community is at large unwelcoming to new players. This also happens to be the case in other games of very similiar style such as DayZ, which comes to no surprise. Not much can be done about this, as the game is engineered towards a more dedicated, competitive, but also much less welcoming audience, just from the way the game was made. There is very little that can be done for a game that has a lack of passionate developers supporting it.

Thirdly, The mechanics of MineZ are very simple to program. The lack of developers working on MineZ or in general any of the gamemodes is practically inexcusable, especially given how simple programming in Java is. The mechanics also add up to very stale and repetitive game that needs to levy upon the social and PVPVE aspects of the game. It is also worth noting that PVE is almost non-existent apart from in dungeons, where they still pose a very limited threat. Combat is good due to the way MineZ works as a sandbox game with many opportunities, However it is still strictly limited with an established meta in the game. Social aspects are fast-dying especially every since they shut down the older servers US11 and US10 and so forth, given how each server had it's own community.

Fourth, Bugs. I made an entire list of bugs on a website found here. If you know any unlisted bugs/methods to execute these bugs then PM me and I'll likely add them at some point. Anyway, If you have a read through that, Then you'll find there is a great many bugs. If it is redacted, PM me and I'll send you a link, As I do know developers prefer to hide the number of vulnerabilities in their games.

With this I conclude the game has already died. Usually I'm not a defeatist, However, Given almost no advertising from any youtubers, and given a large number of gaping flaws. I would say it's not impossible for it to recover, however, it is highly unlikely from my own analysis of the whole situation. It's as I said in the title, It's a blood clot of a game dying, slowed only by it's dying heart. Whether or not I get banned, muted, or whatever doesn't matter to me anymore as I've moved on to greater and grander projects.

2. spolendina Emerald

XP:
    175,586xp
    Highlife would rather line his wallet so he can buy knives on CS than hire an actual developer.
  3. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    The point of this thread isn't about how much or how far I care about a gamemode. To clarify on that, I don't care about getting banned or muted or whatever on the forums, But this isn't me saying I don't care about the gamemode as a whole. Besides, your entire point contributes nothing as it's pure Ad Hominem.

The point of the thread is to focus on how MineZ isn't in a good situation for many factors, While I don't have any hard numbers or statistics to support the idea that it's in decline, I predict an observation of the weekly/monthly player count over the game's lifespan would show some correlation, but that still wouldn't prove a relationship between the two as in general there is always some decline in player count due to other uncontrolled factors.
    The advertising or lack of it can be summed up in a good quote from a friend 'Big mistake when people look to mere advertisement to promote their game only to find it's actually #@%<. Why are people so obsessed with YouTubers. They're attempting to cure the symptoms and not the disease.'.

Edit: I forgot to mention what I was correlating, which is time and player count.
    shrauger and oliv111 like this.
  4. Cave_System Platinum

XP:
    500xp
  5. ACrispyTortilla Retired Staff

XP:
    170,292xp
  6. vampire_toothy Obsidian

XP:
    86,698xp
    I think in a case like this, there really isn't much of a "right" or "wrong" side, it really boils down to what type of a perspective you have on the game or whether or not you would think it has a chance to still live on. Regardless of the case, I'm sure everyone going through this thread would rather see a reason as to why you think he is wrong rather than just saying that the post is wrong.

In my opinion, I find myself to agree with this thread. The biggest problem with MC is that a lot of server or network owners often have too much of an ambition to the point where things either become incredibly overhyped, or not well thought or discussed about which also leads to an incredible lack of communication.
    I'd recommend looking over at this previous thread made by Pi;
    https://shotbow.net/forum/threads/game-design-discussion-on-minez.362560/

I suppose I shift sides a little bit too often, but looking back, he does make a point on how all the minecraft servers back then just aimed to get money off of a videogame that was not intended for that purpose, the purpose of it was to open up the game for other players to enjoy and make their own wild creations on it, this then spiraled into a giant chain of faction & hunger game servers, or even the common skyblock server in that mix as well, often times these servers would end up having $500 ranks for the godly prot 100 armor you will never need anyways. MineZ stood out at this time because it wasn't like other servers, people weren't doing the same thing and for once there was a challenging environment not caused by other players or by very limited movements on a tiny island and so MineZ became the example for what are now all the major networks within MC today. However, MineZ did not evolve much with the advancing playerbase and so there is a very clear decline as to what it once was. Dungeons clearly took over, and as the post says, there is just a really rough peak and low in the difficulty with how dungeons don't just build up on you, they are just there to kill you until somebody with a good enough eye catches onto it and then everyone beats it, which to me is nowhere near as exciting as a dungeon that slowly rises in difficulty or one that goes at your own preference or an entirely different game that was fully planned, and if you're looking for one example, I can give off one incredibly recent example of an entirely different game that has done just that.

But otherwise, I tend to agree with Pi's post much more, but that is just me.
    NotSwipe likes this.
  7. Cave_System Platinum

XP:
    500xp

The fix is very simple. If staff aren't doing their job up to par with the old staff, then it's time to redo the staff team.
  8. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    And how does your proposal fix things? If you've observed over the course of the last year, they've done that for a good many staff positions with the exception of programmers. It is debatable whether or not adding new programmers to the team would do much to fix it. If the game isn't interesting it'll be very difficult for the game to maintain popularity much less regain it in its current state since the game isn't much fun after some months. It's like DayZ, It gets stale and repetitive fast.
    shrauger likes this.
  9. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    I'd like to point out that the Name Change "bug" and the Fire Trial "bug" are not actually bugs or glitches in the game. The name changing aspect is as intended because the UUID is not counted in the MineZ system as a player, the name is. To affix this to use UUID's there would have to be an inventory wipe for everyone, which the community voted no to. So it is intentionally left in. The Fire Trial room isn't a bug either, as everything is working as intended where the zombies dispense if you fail the trial. It is merely exploiting the room by intentionally losing the trial to get all the zombies, and it just so happens that the ledge is low enough to use Eillom Ale to get up. If this was a bug, then you'd have to include Krubera, Aeternalis, and Abandoned Mineshaft as bugs, since you can exploit them to deal zombies to you. Furthermore, I wouldn't count grapple issues as bugs, because it would be like counting the Anemos parkour room as bugged, which it isn't. Grappling is just a faster way to get through the room, but still should be patched of course. Finally, the Dungeon camping isn't even a glitch either, as all it was is the lack of shrouds in minor dungeons. They placed shrouds in major dungeons for fairness but left out other minor ones. This will be fixed with 1.9.
    MTrout and NotSwipe like this.
  10. RisingThumb Regular Member

XP:
    96,839xp
    A bug is any unintended 'event' or 'feature'. Since there's little clarification from admins on this because they lack total transparency, I assumed a lot of these to be implied from some of their Origin's posts. A bug is any unintended 'event' or 'feature'. By saying this, Minecraft is a game riddled with bugs, but the bugs aren't necessarily game-breaking. One example the BUD mechanic. Still qualified as a bug, But nowadays considered a feature. The meta of dungeon camping also works against the interests of the game's core mechanics of survival, but if that's how they want to develop the gameplay then that's how it's gonna be.

Edit: Some bugs have occurred due to a lack of future proofing and patching, such as the UUID/name change bug.
    shrauger and vampire_toothy like this.
  11. Toxxiic Emerald

XP:
    35,638xp
    Wrong.
  12. durkioo Platinum

XP:
    46,154xp
    why do you waste your time? you realize that so so so so so many exactly the same threads have been made before, so why remake them. one thread isnt gonna change their perspective. they dont care and thats final.
    LegendaryAlex and Tannatron like this.
  13. Chibotle Platinum

XP:
    97,048xp
    Strength glitch
  14. Toxxiic Emerald

XP:
    35,638xp
    Gapple Glitch
  15. GuigaWei Platinum

XP:
    578,041xp
    This thread is so negative that it's giving me a blood clot.
    LegendaryAlex likes this.
  16. Wayvernia Retired Staff

XP:
    123,163xp
    This thread has shown a lot of positive responses and recommendations on how it can go better. I really enjoy reading all this.
    Maybe next time you could take into consideration to do it in even a more and friendly way.

And no, not trying to censor. But I'd rather type a 5 page essay on a bad thread with good intentions.

Locked.
    FelixFB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.