1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion On Robert's "request:" New Map Ideas

Discussion in 'Wasted' started by BrassBuilder, Nov 30, 2015.

Discussion - On Robert's "request:" New Map Ideas
  1. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    Just put your ideas here for a new map. But please stay on topic. I mean, we can almost all agree we need a new one, this one we have had is getting a bit boring, and I think if we add a new map it will bring back a lot of players to explore all the new towns.

2. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    Keep Mona.
    BrassBuilder likes this.
  3. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    Large areas for building cool bases and increased ender chest building spawns.
  4. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    My suggestion

And,

You forgot about flint :heart:
    DiezelTheo likes this.
  5. FearTheRainbow Platinum

XP:
    45,360xp
    Keep mona, city17 and a few of the more popular towns then add new towns and maybe a new city or two.Reduce the density of the forest, and maybe some plains.A new add on can be road side shops only a few in the map, think of it as a gas station you can find with random cars and maybe a shop keeper.The roads should be reduced by just a small amount to where its still far but not as far as it would take in the old wasted map.Add a maybe a hospital that is in a town, even maybe some random structures you would find while exploring the map.
  6. hora6112 Platinum

XP:
    283,292xp
    Making a brand new map is an extremely difficult thing, and honestly, wasted's current map is freaking beautiful, and I really don't think we need a new one. However, on that note, I do think that some revamping would definitely help the map and also attract new members. For example, let's look at certain cities; Derby is almost an exact copy of Bleming, and the same goes for Stroud and Dalhart. Personally I think there should be some sort of contest to make/revamp current cities to be added to replace copies like this. Another example is the large cities. Have you ever gone inside one of the buildings in mona or c17? They are boring, they don't have much interior decoration or detail. That being said, it doesn't really matter too much because it's probably going to get blown up at some point anyways, but it would be cool to see the detail in the buildings that is displayed in MTA, for example (the interior decoration on that map is 9.7/10 IGN needs hora6112 skulls).

Just to reiterate, and for people too lazy to read:
    Maps are hard to make but revamps would be cool to boring cities that are either copied or just small (etc: Goodrich, Trent...)
    Possible submission system for new wasted cities
    Maybe more landmarks? There's no rivers throughout the mainland (excluding c17 and that one dam somewhere)
    Possible interior decoration
    KoenigApfel likes this.
  7. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    Actually, I have tried making a Wasted map, and all you really have to do outside of Worldpainter (Which is SUPER FUN) is build the towns. Which, with world edit, is not that diffucult. That being said, making different buildings is repetative, which is why there is not much detail in the current buildings. In my experience, if you have a couple friends helping you, you can dish out these buildings a lot quicker. I spent an hour on building one building once. But I only spent about 10 minutes building the exterior, and about another 5 experimenting with design. Trust me when I say this, to make a single city 17 building with the help of one or two people should take (if a basic interior is used like the iron building in city 17) should take about 25-30 minutes. So, if you work for about an hour and a half each day, you could complete a city in roughly one week. And that's saying each building takes half an hour. The cities are already done in my idea! We are copying two cities, and two towns! Now, there are four towns left to make, each with a similar build style. These buildings should take about 20 minutes maximum to design. Perhaps 10 minutes. In an hour 15ish, you can make derby. And now do the same thing to the 7 other towns. That makes a total of one week, two days, assuming you use one of the days to copy and paste the already used towns into the map. Now, making a worldpainter map for two hours streight, for four days, is normally enough for terrain and trees. Spend another day making roads to connect towns, and you now can do the cities and towns, which as I discussed earlier is roughly 9 days. So, 5 days on WP + 9 days building the towns = 14 days or 2 weeks to complete the map doing no more than two hours of work a day, using two people. In conclusion, it does not take long to make a map, and I disagree hora.

Summary:
    it takes 5 days to make a world painter world with roads, and 9 days to put in the towns, so it takes 2 weeks to make a map with 2 people working no more than two hours a day. So, hora, I disagree, it does not take a long time to make a map with dedication.

With interior:
    With interior design, a building in a city may take an hour and a half to build, but interior takes a LONG time. Why do you think the current wasted map cut so many corners in that department? And building a house takes a good hour and a half hour too if you add interior walls and beds and such. But it's minecraft, not ArmA III or Battlefield. We can replicate mechanics but not designs, simply because we are working with 1x1x1 meter cubes.
  8. Robertthegoat Co-Lead Developer

XP:
    394,144xp
    First off, I'd like to begin by mentioning that while MTA is beautiful, if Wasted players complain about framerate issues from Wasted trees, then our target audience needs a more conservative map. That's not saying we wouldn't put in just as much effort into a new map, but the detail level would need to be a bit more conservative. Also, 2 weeks for a Shotbow map is not possible for us. This would end up being a project that took several months.
    FearTheRainbow likes this.
  9. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    Do not keep any of the cities, they're boring and we've all explored them well. Give the players a new world to explore and love, like the old wasted map! It was at first a vast and very difficult place to navigate but I always thought it was a bit too small, even for the amount of players who played back then.

The new map should be three quarters of what the map size is currently, but keep in mind as Robert said, not great amounts of detail in everything, such as the trees. They were horrible when I first joined, it was impossible to fly over those forests without dropping mass frames, I still even have some trouble to this day.

I've already made suggestions about the new map in a big post I made previously this year, so I'm not gunna suggest anything here.
  10. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    When I get my new computer I will make a new map, though it may have to be over the summer. Just you wait.
  11. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP:
    14,595xp
    Why not just build some buildings you might want in the actual wasted map, there's no point in building your own when the builders will most likely make their own, special design. Much like the one we have now except, a different map.
  12. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    My computer's fan doesn't work. My server is too fps laggy because of it. I can't run MCEdit to make a schematic. Plus, it would be quicker for me to wait till christmas and make a map than for shotbow to make a map as Robert said.
  13. NotDiezel Regular Member

XP:
    99,955xp
    If your fan doesn't work, you shouldn't be using using your PC.
  14. 323465963 Retired Staff

XP:
    130,346xp
    Hmm... I wonder if we can replace all leaves with an opaque and relatively unused block that has similar physical properties (like podzol, since it has a similar blast resistance and break sound), and then retexture all podzol blocks to leaf blocks in wasted's default resource pack, as well as adding the ability for it to be broken when shot at. Would fix the lag issues, but the downside is that it's a really "bizarre" way to fix something like that. Plus, people with default textures will have many questions as to why there's trees made of podzol...
  15. Deadspeck Mini Builder

XP:
    122,129xp
    lighting in minecraft is the problem. just turn off all lighting effects
    DiezelTheo likes this.
  16. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    I think we should in our tutorial thing that BETTER BE FRICKEN COMING give recomended settings. like shaders will crash your game every time you go within 100 blocks of a forest :wink:
  17. Braiti Platinum

XP:
    87,241xp

Something like this would be epic.
    BrassBuilder likes this.
  18. HypeTrains Regular Member

XP:
    85,406xp
    BRUH DEM 70s GRAPHICS :lmao:

But yah I like that idea
  19. Leatherdevil Regular Member

XP: