1. Want to get our most recent announcements - and XP codes - in your email?

Discussion Swapper Traps

Discussion in 'Annihilation' started by Craftiii4, Jan 13, 2015.

Discussion - Swapper Traps
  1. Craftiii4 Ruby

XP:
    8,226,752xp
    It has come to my attention recently that all swapper traps are now allowed.

Now, I could understand this change of mind if when we died we kept our items. But this change never was added. Other than the peace of mind this might offer, what other reasons are behind this sudden change of heart? When the class was introduced it was stated that using swapper to trap players was not what the class was designed to do, now however this is pretty much all it's used for.

How is it fair that a player can be swapped into a trap, in which they are killed by lava/drowning, knocked off the edge or spammed until death. Thus losing all of their items. It should not be possible for a two players of equal skill, one with iron armour(+) & another with leather to kill the iron player with little effort or planning required. But swapper traps allow this to happen. Anyone can easily design a wool trap, working with a builder and you can easily design an obsidian trap. If it's a map lava, all you need to do is jump into lava then swap.

There are a few possible swapper traps
    • Trap door over large fall
    • Straight into lava
    • Off Edge
    • Wool cage
    • Dirt cage
    • Obby cage
    • etc etc
    In order to successfully survive all of these possible types you would require
    • Acrobat to survive large falls or jump back onto land if near to edge
    • Pyro or fire resistance to survive into lava
    • Shears to escape from Wool
    • Shovel to escape from Dirt
    • Axe to escape from wood
    • Very good pickaxe to escape from obby
    • Blocks to block view
    Other ways to escape:
    • Be a swapper your self
    • Be a transporter
    • To an extent, be a rift walker
    Provided you are acrobat, you would require the following itemsin your hotbar (unless you're amazingly fast at changing them)
    1. Your Sword
    2. Fire Res pot
    3. Shears
    4. Axe
    5. Shovel
    6. Pickaxe
    7. Basics blocks
    8. Bow to push enemies back (maybe?)
    This is already 7-8 of your 9 slots taken up, and it's not easy to obtain some of these.
    (Although, fire res would only be required on select maps)

And there is always the chance that you won't time to react, yesterday me and ally (both leathers) killed an full diamond using swapper. This is just not fair.

The solution?

There is always the possibility of not allowing these sort of traps, but this might not be a viable solution, seeing I gather the most likely reason why these traps have been allowed is because of the time being spent by staff having to dish out punishments to those that were doing illegal swaps.

So, here's another possible solution:

The swap should not be allowed if the person attempting the swap is
    • Within Lava/Fire
    When a player is swapped the, player swapped revives the following buffs
    • No fall damage (like the Scorpio hook) for a short time
    • Will take no knock back for a few seconds (Like the Berserker ability)
    • Should be able to destroy any block with any tool/hand for 6~ seconds
    • Should have the potion effect DigSpeed added for a few seconds
    • Absorption is kind of useless, instead they should not take damage for a few seconds, unless they deal damage to another player, as soon as they deal damage they should be open to take damage from other players.
    This would still make swapper traps viable for nexus def & confusing the enemy, but actually give the person swapped a good chance of escaping the swap.
    Thanks for reading.
    a2A209_, Tdiaz5, Botifier and 6 others like this.

2. FireGuyNL Platinum

XP:
    235,230xp
    Love your idea except for the no damage from other players thingy, being able to break every block by hand is enough in my opinion.
    Ivandagiant likes this.
  3. Pretendence Platinum

XP:
    26,299xp
    Thank you for not actually just whining for swapper traps to be removed again and instead offering thoughtful ideas, I agree with all your ideas sometimes the traps i make are a little op and this could give them a chance ;3
  4. Jagram Platinum

XP:
    6,757xp
    Its a nice idea but obi traps are easy to counter if you are transporter or swapper as well
    blaze81 likes this.
  5. Craftiii4 Ruby

XP:
    8,226,752xp

Ah, forgot about transporter, I also suppose to an extent riftwalker could be useful, I'll add it in. Thanks :)
  6. Unicycle43 Retired Staff

XP:
    322,934xp
    YAY!!!! Swapper traps are back!!!
    (although I don't have swapper....)
  7. mattsmovies11 Regular Member

XP:
    32,442xp
    Being swapped is a very annoying, but being a swapper is still quite boring. Maybe swapper traps at a crowded area like mid work very well and are unfair, but being a swapper-defender is a boring job. I think that these knew rules should be applied for all areas outside the teams base. Swapper traps make strength rushing a lot harder, and its still pretty hard for a swapper to get the right materials, and sit in a box or another trap waiting for someone to come. Defend swapping should still be allowed without the swapped person getting all these buffs. A very well-thought post thought.
    Unicycle43 likes this.
  8. blizzard0199 Platinum

XP:
    62,053xp
    I don't think you can even pick up lava, so there would be no lava traps close to the nexus in most maps?
    blaze81 likes this.
  9. dackknight09 Obsidian

XP:
    105,709xp
    They finally made swapper usefull again and ur asking to give a swapped person the ability to break any block with his hand for 6seconds? I would love to be swapped then. Thats like destroying half a defense with ur hand..
    cbplayer2012 likes this.
  10. Craftiii4 Ruby

XP:
    8,226,752xp

No, this would not be "instant break" - If you try to destroy wool with your hand, it will 'reappear', what I'm suggesting is that you would be able to, for a few seconds after the swap, be able to destroy wool with your hand. It still takes the time to break it, but it would actually break the block instead of just 'reappearing'. Combined with digspeed 1 or 2, this would allow you to escape wool traps/dirt without actually needing shears or a shovel.
  11. darien1215 Platinum

XP:
    131,702xp
    I think obsidian swapper traps are too OP and should be the only trap bannable but for everything else about swapper trap I like.
  12. Craftiii4 Ruby

XP:
    8,226,752xp

I would also argue that wool traps, or any trap to the edge or into lava/fire is too OP. As talked about above though, they should be allowed, but the person that was swapped should get some more buffs so that they actually have a fighting chance.
  13. thedarfster Platinum

XP:
    127,102xp
    I disagree, swapper is one of my favorite pvp classes, even without swapper traps because it provides slowness and absorption to both players. (which is quite helpful in a 2vs1) Instead of complaining that swappers are useless, why not try other swapper strategies besides swapper traps?
  14. ZestyLimez Silver

XP:
    33,789xp
    Most swapper traps are wool or dirt. Carrying shears and a shovel somewhere in your inventory isn't much to ask. If players could break any block without a tool, obsidian traps would be even more prevalent.
  15. thedarfster Platinum

XP:
    127,102xp
    Actually if someone is already carrying strength, regen, and the normal tools as well as blocks, it is quite a bit to ask.
  16. ThemRandomNinjaz Platinum

XP:
    209,860xp
    Your primary solution: "Remove swapper traps"

Your alternate solution: "Make swapper traps allowed, but make them completely and utterly useless while buffing the enemy to where he's even more powerful than he was before."

Nice.

Basically, without swapper traps, swapper is nearly useless. Sure, there are a couple situations where it could help you out a bit, but those almost never come.
    cbplayer2012 likes this.
  17. ZestyLimez Silver

XP:
    33,789xp
  18. thedarfster Platinum

XP:
    127,102xp
    Yep, Perfect example of constructive criticism here!
    Sarcasm aside though, if you think you have other, better ideas for adjusting his ideas by all means do share.
  19. thedarfster Platinum

XP:
    127,102xp
    In your hotbar there is no room for shears and shovel, and no room for either if the rusher has any other types of potions, such as speed or invis. it takes at least a couple seconds to put shears or a shovel into your hotbar and it is so easy to hit a stationary target that often (in my experience) the rusher swapped dies within seconds. On another note, you do not even have your pick in your hotbar. So you are right when you said there was no room for the shovel or shears.
  20. ThemRandomNinjaz Platinum

XP:
    209,860xp
    I'm not saying "THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDDEEAAA!!!!!". I'm explaining why swapper needs the ability to swap enemies in order to be useful and fun. The reason I'm not giving constructive criticism for his idea because I don't support it. It's like someone saying he doesn't support Hitler, and when he says that he doesn't like him since he tortured millions upon millions of Jews, people saying to him "Wow... have you tried giving constructive criticism! Don't just shut down his idea!"